“This remains a very good option”

Newport Links Golf Resort
Reviewed December 17, 2011

This remains a very good option for a stay and play golf trip. The price remains very good value for money and still would not hesitate to recommend it.

However there has been a slight slippage in standards.

Food portions are bit small than last year- perhaps this is the way they are avoiding an increase in price. Personally I would advice them to put their prices up just a little so that the food would have bigger portions.

Also restaurant opening hours are not totally clear. In fairness this is a small place so they can't be expected to be open all the time like a large resort, however if you do want to eat in the afternoon I would recommend booking ahead.

Also there were some signs of wear and tear in the building, (not many in fairness, but some). There was superficial damage in the men's toilet, and some very slight evidence of wear and tear in the room. However equally there was a notice in the room with the information pack saying that programme of maintainance was about to take place. I was visiting at the very end of the season, so it would not seem unreasonable to see some signs of wear now that the place has been open for a few seasons. I would be extremely surprised if Newport Links didn't deal with these sorts of issues over the winter.

Another issue they should try to improve on is to better integrate the hotel, restaurant and golf side of their business, it would benefit the visitor and their business. (Bit too much toing and froing between the hotel and golf for my liking- and indeed we didn't eat there on the Sunday afternoon- since it never occurred to us that the restaurant would be closed- with a better system in place this could have solved.

However none of this should detract from the fact that this hotel is still actually a very good one, rooms are well appointed and kitted out, and the criticisms need to be kept in context.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed at Newport Links Golf Resort for my son & his wife's wedding reception in October 2011. Chosen for it's location and close proximity to their home it was well geared up for parties and everyone was extremely helpful every step of the way. The contemporary styling of the venue together with the floor to ceiling windows to make the most of the amazing views over Newport beach was enjoyed by all the guests. Food was brilliant, as was the service, all day and into the evening. The accomodation was second to none with sumptuous beds and beautiful bathrooms. Every room overlooked the stunning sea views. We're not golfers but it looked to have a wonderful 18 hole course which would tempt many. It was the perfect place to de-stress. It is surrounded by wonderful walks and many interesting places to visit. We all had such a wonderful time that I'm booking a party for next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good with some self catering suites available.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sunseekerPowys
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Wow it came as a lovely surprise just how nice the room was and the splendid views! It was a last minute break and I hadn't really put much thought into it but got what I thought would be a decent - average room at a reasonable price.
Delighted with the room - fantastic size and really clean with everything we could have wanted. The bathroom was also a great size and again very clean. The views were superb and it made for a really lovely break.
Only downside - just wish the staff had been more attentive and sort of 'warmer' to new visitors as they were clearly warm and welcoming to familiar faces.

Room Tip: If possible choose a first floor room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We booked this hotel last minute for a one night stay and were very glad we did. The Hotel is in a beautiful spot overlooking the estuary with beautiful views from your bedroom and the restaurant. The rooms were modern and clean and quiet at night. The food in the restaurant was delicious especially the chocolate platter! The staff were all very welcoming. Would definitely stay here again if in the area. My only quibble and it is a bit petty is i like white towels in a hotel and a bit bigger!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The hotel is very good , rooms large clean and tidy.The restaurant was simple but the food was very good. The views were excellent, golf en site and a great beach a few hundred yards away.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ynotcracker
Reviewed August 6, 2011

My husband and I spent one night at the Newport Links Golf Resort sampling dinner, bed and breakfast during a walk along the Pembrokeshire coastal path. The resort is ideally located for walkers, only a few hundred yards from the path and the bus stop at Newport Sands. The accommodation was excellent, modern, well-furnished & very clean; the food was good; the staff friendly and the view of the sunset magical. In retrospect, we should have stayed longer and used the coastal bus to take us on to the next stage of our walk rather than seeking accommodation in Cardigan which was definitely inferior. Don't be put off by the title 'golf resort': all are welcome.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed at the hotel whilst on business in the area. I had decided to take my partner with me as he was off for the week. I regularly stay at hotels with my work and always try to give a fair and objective review of the places I stay.

We were checked in by a really friendly and efficient chap and then we went to our room. The room was clean and spacious with fantastic views of the bay. The cost, however, was not cheap. £126.00 for the room with breakfast. That price is not in itself expensive if the room would have been the height of luxury but unfortunately it was not. Kingsize bed? No. Large flat screen TV? No. State of the art luxury bathroom? No. Deep pile luxury carpet and expensive fixtures and fittings? No. The room was at best very average and in no way justified the room rate. If you compare say, the average De Vere hotel at £95.00 per night with breakfast, this place falls well below that standard in terms of room quality and comfort.

Breakfast was similarly average...no fresh fruit salad or other little luxuries that you would expect for such a price such as fresh pastries or croissants. Special K and supermarket yoghurts was the best thing on offer I am afraid. The cooked breakfast option was also very average with perhaps the smallest portion of mushrooms I have ever seen at any hotel in 30 years of being "on the road". I got 2 the size of a pound coin as did my partner. I looked around at the other diners and you guessed it they all had 2 each too! Talk about a generous hearty Welsh Breakfast was not the conversation in the breakfast room.

If I had paid £70.00 for the experience I would have been satisfied at that price but I am at a total loss to see how this place can justify or attempt to justify the price of £126.00 for B and B for one night. I would describe my experience in one word...underwhelming.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1 mi away
Castle Inn
Castle Inn
#7 of 18 in Newport -Trefdraeth

Been to Newport Links Golf Resort? Share your experiences!