“Holiday of a lifetime!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tikehau
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Holiday of a lifetime!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Having read all the reviews of Ninamu before booking, I seriously doubted if it could actually be as good as it sounded; overwhelmingly good reviews are often a recipe for disappointment. But unbelievably, it was even better than I could have imagined (and I can imagine a lot!!). Quite honestly it was the best holiday we have ever had.

My husband and I stayed at Ninamu for 14 nights and within a day or two we were already contemplating quitting our jobs and staying there indefinitely. The bungalows are incredible works of art, the fresh food plate-lickingly delicious and the surroundings beyond picturesque. But what truly makes this place completely unique is the people. Chris is absolutely tireless in catering to everyone's needs, going above and beyond to ensure that every guest gets to have the experience of a lifetime. Whatever you’ve dreamed of doing, he does his utmost to make it a reality. Greta, Christiane and all the staff are incredibly warm and friendly and really go the extra mile to make you feel special. The whole place as an aura of fun, relaxation and enjoyment about it and you soon feel more like you are hanging out with friends than staying at a resort. It was so good we have already begun planning our return next year!

My only 'criticism' of Ninamu is that it has set the bar so high that it has probably tarnished every other place we will stay at in future which will now be compared to its excellence.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patricia555_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2012

As a single "older" and a frequent traveler to Tahiti 2x3 times annually I was perfectly content to R & R... and not get "busy". The minute I arrived, I literally unpacked my bikini and snorkelling gear and was on a wonderful boat trip, meeting up with other guests, Chris and the staff on a snorkelling trip....so much for R & R. From that day on..there was nothing but a great desire to get on the boat and do what everyone or no one did..be it fishing, tanning, snorkelling, surfing, enjoying dolphins play at the hull, observe Mantas, touring Bird Island ( and falling flat on my face 2 times ..too busy and not paying attention) discovering where Ninamu gets their "organic food stock" on Eden island...just amazing... the interest level here.
On The staff..they are small in numbers but huge on graciousness, helpfulness...and amazing patience. Chris and Greta are wonderful hosts.
Chris has the capacity to keep everyone and everything happy and moving...accommodating every need with the patience of Jobe...Greta Chris's wife, though we did not see her much prepared wonderful meals ( Thanks for putting up with my early morning invasion of the kitchen for coffee) When we did see and talk with her she is fun to be around)
We start our vacation as individuals...sitting at different tables...in a couple of nights we were like one big family....all seated at one big table, laughing, talking, hearing the funniest tales of Chris's adventures as a steward on Qantas.... we just seem to meld very well as a group.
Christiane....for all your help and friendliness, Merci et Mauruuru. I promise I wont feed the fish your bread... I will wait for the old baguettes!! GUILTY! Colton and Alyssa...Thank you..(Alyssa ...One Pina Colada pls..they were great!) Thomas...where in Sydney are you from??? Yes I stll remember ....The Northern Beaches...about time Huh?
Every bungalow was designed and hand-hewn by Chris....they are great...Beds are amazing...I would have been just as thrilled to have been strung-up in a hammock between 2 coconut palms..but no, I had a wonderful bungalow to go to at the end of an activity packed and fun day. I just used it to sleep in.
Ninamu is a small island 45 min walk around it's perimeter...can become 3 hours like I could do checking out the amazing shells, wading the rock-pools, floating or swimming the far channel discovering coral, sea-creatures.. The island is Chris and Greta's personal home..and they and their staff really make you feel as welcome as you want to be... Chris your patience and helpfulness to everyone's need is amazing Thank-you for sharing your personnal paradise with such graciousness towards all of us...
When do you have your next vacancy ??? for the next 10 years...will contact you soon... I rated your "pool and spa"...which is the fabulous waters that surround the motu as excellent....better than any "artificial pool and spa"

Room Tip: Rooms selection here is dependant on guest numbers..as a single traveller my bungalow served me very...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank VERA P
menlo park, ca
Reviewed June 30, 2012

well, another day, another 5-star review for ninamu. we have traveled all over the world, and this was the friendliest, most accommodating place we've ever been to. and in a natural, easy way - nothing forced or pushy. all 5 of the staff are superb, but we particularly single out christiene, who doubles as office manager and housekeeping, for her kind attentiveness. chris, the boss, is an australian former champion surfer, and just the competent guy's guy you want driving the boat. his wife greta, was handling the cooking while the usual cook was off, and boy was the food great. greta is so sweet! alyssa and colton, the interns, were warm and helpful. chris joins the guests for dinner, and what a storyteller he is! the atmosphere is so collegial that the first 2 days we ate by ourselves, but by the last 3 days, we were eating at a larger table for 8 and really enjoying the other guests.

oh, the architecture is spectacular: chris calls himself a carpenter, but i gather he's actually a designer-builder-developer. each of the hand-crafted cottages is different, but they all are very spacious and have lots of stone and coral inset into the stucco, free-form windows, and curvy peeled island ironwood as the lodgepoles holding up the thatched roofs

i would give the value as excellent given that your $400 per person includes transfers, tax, tips, 3 meals a day, and all activities except scuba.

and did i mention that the scuba (we used tikehau plongee) is amazing, as is the snorkeling with mantas?

Room Tip: they are all gorgeous. we stayed in a smaller room closer to the lodge for one night, after which ch...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was the first stop on our 'once in a lifetime trip' to paradise. We vacation frequently, being to Hawaii and most of the Caribbean 20+ times. Celebrating our ten year anniversary we always talked about going to French Polynesia. Not sure exactly where to go, we spent hundreds of hours online trying to figure out what is the best of the best. In the end, we decided on a 3 island trip - Tikehau, Moorea and Bora Bora. Let me tell you about our first stop.

Ninamu - biggest regret of our whole trip, was not staying long enough here. Although the reviews on tripadvisor have been nothing but 5 star, I was still a little hesitant. Boy was I wrong. Even though each island has it's own perk, this was our favorite. We only stayed 3 nights but by the last night, I was scheming to stay longer.

Previous reviews have already mentioned the staff as being great - but it's bigger than that. They truly make you feel like family. First class staff. Move over Dos Equis man, Chris is the true 'most interesting man in the world'. His stories are fascinating, his activities are unsurpassed, and his character genuine.

Activities - They say you never forget your first. My first day snorkeling in the crystal clear waters I saw my first shark. As a land locked Canadian growing up with the fear of Jaws, this was a little unnerving. But please don't let this scare you. These black tip reef sharks want nothing to do with people and are simply harmless. By the end our 12 night trip I was swimming with 20 at a time.
Each day there would be a new activity planned, whether it be going to bird island for a great tour, over to the garden at Eden for fresh vegetables, spear fishing in the open ocean to catch supper, snorkeling with manta rays, coconut crab expeditions..... There is no shortage of fun here.

Food - Some of the freshest most delicious food of our trip. Never went hungry and never had to worry about cost (definitely a factor at the other resorts).

Grounds - We stayed in the Miki Miki, what a cool set up. All of the buildings are unique and beautiful. Built by Chris and the gang, they are made of materials from the small motu itself. Which by the way, can be be circled in less than 10min.

Overall....this place is amazing. Our 'once in a lifetime trip' has already turned into we need to get back within 3 years. For your first time to FP, I would still suggest to check out Moorea or Bora Bora to see what they're about, but don't miss this place. This was the best. Check out my reviews of the Hilton on Moorea, and Le Meridien & Thalasso on Bora Bora.

We realize FP is 2 or 3x more expensive than most other vacations, but it's magnitudes more satisfying.

Thanks to Chris, Greta and the rest of the staff. Colton and Alyssa, wish my summer job was a cool as yours.

Room Tip: Miki Miki is on stilts and is cozy, the other buildings are a little bigger
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Whylivewithsnow
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Thank you for an amazing stay at Ninamu paradise. It is small resort with only 6 bungalows and a very relaxed and home like experience. People there are great! Thank you Chris, Greta, Christine, Nini and Bill - I will come back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Ales11_11
Big Island, Hawaii
Reviewed April 20, 2012

After four nights in the lap of luxury at the Four Seasons Bora Bora, we said aloha to the ginormous OWB and flew an hour to a destination I never even heard of until a year ago...the Tuamotus. After landing at Tikehau, an adorable kid (ok, a kid to me) named Kaena picked us up in a nice little motorboat and in about ten minutes we're at Ninamu.

Ninamu was bought a few years ago by a lovely Australian guy, Chris, who runs the annual Billabong surf competition at Teahupoo, where he owns a residence. If you go to Ninamu (and oh yes, you should) ask Chris to tell you the amazing story of how he came to own the island.

Chris has built a beautiful lodge and six bungalows from materials primarily found on and around Ninamu. There are walls and ceilings of coral and shells, thatched roofs, windows and doors that don't match their frames, no aircon. It's all very The Hobbit meets Architectural Digest, and it's pretty spectacular. All activities are included and boy are there lots of them. We spent hours in the small motorboat, fishing, snorkeling, swimming, visiting the amazing Bird Island, the manta ray sanctuary, a coral garden as beautiful as that in Bora Bora. Other guests enjoyed kite surfing and paddle boarding, we swam around the island and read books when we weren't out on or under the water. Two beautiful young women, one from France (Justine), one from Tahiti (Ninireh), who I call the Bond girls make great desserts, ride jetskis around, free dive, bring us drinks, and look lovely. Axel and Kaena and sometimes Chris captain the boat.

Rainstorms moved in every night and we slept with rain and thunder and lightning as lullabies in our shell hut on the pink sand beach. This is a place for people who are, well, GAME, if you know what I mean. There are no sunglass spritzers and blessedly no one called me ma'am or mademoiselle or Mrs. anything, and I didn't have to say Ia ora na thrity times from the walk from the bungalow to dinner. The staff is fantastic. Chris' very friendly pit bulls patrol the island, tangle with the sharks, and keep the locals from coming over and stealing the ginormous and multi-colored coconut crabs that are apparently good eatin', but Chris likes to keep around for the viewing enjoyment of the guests. You jump in and out of the unshaded small boat, sit where ever you can find space on the boat, get wet and bedraggled, wash off your own gear and hang up your own towels. It's magnificent and I was not only very sorry to leave, but we've declared it our favorite place so far in FP and one of our favorite places in the world. We will be back, and next time, for longer.

We did eat fish, usually that we had caught, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and it wasn't the most innovative cuisine, but it was generally fresh and tasty. I enjoy my luxury hotels, but here I felt like I was really on vacation. It's kind of like having the coolest friends ever invite you to stay on their island. I felt a brief pang once for the steam room and musical shower at the Four Seasons spa, and then it was gone, washed away in the dawn of our own Gilligan's Island.

I have posted pictures, some videos, and a travel blog at:

(The blog from my previous trip to Tahiti is at http://sharkmaid.blogspot.com/2011/11/pearls-and-poisson-cru.html)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank SheaG
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed February 2, 2012

My husband and I have been to French Polynesia twice and never before were we so impressed! Ninamu has it all from the spectacular beauty of the Tikehau atoll, the color of the water, all the choices of water sports and excursions, the design of the resort grounds and unqiueness of each bungalow,the scrumptious food (which became a problem because we couldn't stop gourging ourselves), and the most personable staff. Chris was a tireless host who was entirely dedicated to making sure we got to do whatever we wanted to do whether surfing, snorkling with the manna rays, visiting Bird Island,fishing, sailing, kayaking, paddle boarding and the list is endless. His enthusiasm never waned as the week went on. Greta, his beautiful wife was gracious, fun and an amazing chef. Christianne, also beautiful and also amazing in the kitchen was happy to take us on a fun walk/swim adventure to One Palm Island.Nini, Kina, and the cute Aussie couple worked hard to ensure that our time was nothing but comfortable, and trouble-free.
We stayed in the Miki Miki bungalow which I would recommend for any couple , honeymooning or not. The view of the water was breathtaking. Every bungalow was decorated with unique pieces from Bali, the Phillipines, and Thailand. There were 4 couples in our group and everyone enjoyed their accodomodations. Although the ladies of the group all thought a mirror in the bedroom woud have been helpful. The mosquito netting over the bed was not necessary and just got in the way. All in all though, Ninamu is pretty much over the top for boutique resorts. All of us will be back and I am recommending the resort to two couples for their honeymoons.

Room Tip: I would recommend bungalow 2 and 3 because of their proximity to the water and the layout of the roo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Marilee S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tikehau
Fenua Mata'i'oa
Pension Justine
#3 of 8 in Tikehau
Tikehau Bed and Breakfast
Pension Coconut Beach, Tikehau

Been to Tikehau Ninamu Resort? Share your experiences!