“Relazing Time at Havaiki Pearl Guest House”
Review of Pearl Havaiki

Pearl Havaiki
Ranked #1 of 10 Fakarava B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We had landed in Fakarava on Nov.2/11 and was greeted by Joachim (owner).After getting our luggage,which only took about 15 minutes,we started our drive to the pension which only took about 10 minutes.Now,I was not expecting a 5 star but a 2 or 3 which we are use to and our bure was better than I expected.We did have a indoor shower but only cold water,no hot water shower,but most days you wanted to take a cold shower because of the sun.The sun was real hot after lunch and most times you could not tan until later in the day.The beach was white and sand was soft and walking into the water to cool down and looking at all the small coral reefs and looking at all the small clams that where there.As you walked out along side of the dock,you could walk out appox 200ft (60m) when the water be about chest height.There was a couple pens beside the dock were there some fish kept and you could go into the pens to check them out.If you are lucky enough you can catch some nurse sharks swimming around the pens in the mid afternoon.We did,and my other half when snorkling out there and got within 10ft of them.There is also string rays that come swimming around during the day.The main reason we had picked Fakarava was the diving for sharks and did we see sharks.My wife is the diver of the family and she went diving with Top Dive and we did a dive trip out to the South Passage and she had told me they went diving into a cave and when she looked up it was like a rush hour of different sharks.There was black tips ans white tips.As for me I waited on shore because I cannot swim but i did go into the water,about 2ft deep and was taking pictures of big raz,then I felt something rub my leg and when I looked down there was 6 baby black tips swimming around me..it was the coolest thing and worlth the money.
The food was good.For breakfest it was self serve and you had choices from cerals to hard boil eggs,cheese,cold cuts and coffee and juices.For lunch you could choose off the menu and if you order sandwich,I hope you hungry or better yet just share with your other half and fries. Dinner was a 3 course and always different and we were there for 10 days.If you can't eat it all,Garfield (one of the cats) was always there to help you and we feed him good.There were 2 other pets there that we made friends with,Chosette,another cat that always lying under the table from the sun but she was really friendly.Than there was Isis,it took us few days to make friends with here but she is really friendly once she used to you.Oh, before i forget,I cannot eat fish or shell fish because I am allergy,but Joachim had meat for me at dinnertime,chicken or beef.Now,that we were on a pearl farm,we did get pearls,5 of them matter of fact.Joachim show us how they raise them and how they get the pearls out of the oyster.There are mosquitos and we had learned from Fiji,so we had brough our own coils to burn in our room so we didn't get eaten alive but there is a mosquito net that covers the whole bed. It is very beautiful place and I would like to say thank you to Joachim,Hugo (his son) and his wife Clothilde and all the staff for great time.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ymihere
There are newer reviews for Pearl Havaiki

Reviewed November 10, 2010

My wife and I had a great five day stay at Havaiki. Joachim and his family were gracious hosts who made us feel at home. Our bungalow had a great view of the beach and lagoon from the front porch. It was decorated with Polynesian art, had tiles in the bathroom and bedroom, had windows that could be opened (including curtains), and was comfortable for sleeping. The dining room was spacious and comfortable, and full of fresh flowers. The food was great and plentiful- there was not one meal that we did not like. Joachim even opened the dining room early one morning so I could eat before an early morning dive. Swimming was great right from the beach in front of our bungalow. We rode bikes out on the main road to the village and an artist cooperative, which was a blast. We'd certainly stay at Havaiki again, and recommend that anyone visiting Fakarava do the same.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SantaFe2010
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Joachim and his family could not have been more welcoming. The accomodation is very clean, functional and true island style in comfort.
The restaurant was excellent and every dish was perfectly cooked, with second helpings offered when you cleaned up your plates!
It was so good to get away from the resort and chain hotels and find genuine thought and care in the service and presentation of facilities.
All the other guests were considerate to each other, early nights and early mornings for the majority who were diving or snorkeling or taking a bicyle out for a spin before the heat of midday.
Having a pearl farm at the end of the jetty was fascinating and the jewelry is all individually hand made so unique pieces to treasure.
Not sure I really want to tell too many people about it as it really is a fantastic find and we would go back again for sure.
Definately the best place on Fakarava and the highlight of our Tahitian holiday.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LLB13
Reviewed May 6, 2010

We've stayed in plenty of places in French Polynesia from Pensions to 5*. This year we stayed in 4 different pensions, Pension Havaiki being the largest, it was the only one that disappointed! Their web site looked great, the location was goregous, they even ran their own pearl farm but the pension didn't live up to expectations. Far too expensive for what you get, the rooms were basically marine ply boxes with beds in. The restaurant area was nice but the meals didn't live up to it. I don't call a breakfast made up of processed ham, processed cheese, jam/jelly, butter and french bread 4* but the owner did - the only good thing was the coffee. The evening meals were basic and not very good, someone was trying but not succeeding in flavour or quality. You couldn't get a drink (that included bottled water) unless it was during meal serving hours. Yet I'm sure you could buy pearls if you wanted..........we won't be going back!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JenCDevon
Reviewed February 3, 2010

This was my fifth time to French Polynesia, but my first to Fakarava, and I am glad we stayed at Havaiki. You can't ask for a better location. While simple, the bungalow was clean and comfortable, and the mosquito netting very effective. The food was quite tasty, the poisson cru in particular, and there was plenty. But most of all Joachim and Clotilde made us feel at home. We stayed only 3 nights as this was exploratory for us, but we think we made a good friend in Joachim. Next time we will spend a week at Havaiki. I would recommend Havaiki Pearl Guest House to anyone going to Fakarava.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Stayed 4 nights in a wooden garden bungalow,perched among flowers and a few steps away from the beach.matresses are confortable.The space available when you are four is kind of limited but in Polynesia ,the action is outside:
Our kids enjoyed playing ping-pong(1 table),kayaking(6 kayaks available),biking(20 bikes )or just frolicking with the friendly dogs.The one and only road is wide,well paved ,vwith almost no traffic, and flat so it a pleasure to ride to the village .
All diving clubs are in the vicinity,snorkeling in front of the pension is not that exciting but there is little fenced area where some big fish are kept in.Anyway the lagoon is beautiful.
For breakfast,they serve baguette,butter,local jam,local fruits,cheese and ham,good orange juice all you can drink ,corn flakes:a rich breakfast according to the Polynesian pension standards.Diner is also quite generous and tasty we had fish of course (mahi mahi,tuna etc...),lamb,always home made desert and for start "poisson cru"(raw fish) is the usual choice but in different versions(different type of fish) with salads.
Owners are friendly and ready to take you on the various excursions,the most impressive in terms of marine life ,being the south pass excursion .(all day long with lunch directly fished from the sea a few minutes before being cooked in front of you.)
The nickname is pearl guesthouse cause the owner started as a pearl producer and jeweller and he displays in the lobby/dining room some of his work:especially nice necklaces.
Fakarava is a real relaxing place,rich in marine life in the 2 passes through the reef.One of our best choice in Polynesia.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2009

If you've fantasized about staying on a remote island in a natural setting, Havaiki Pearl is paradise found. 6 traditional fares on the beach look out on a spectacular aqua lagoon & the owner's black pearl farm. Free kayaking & snorkeling off their beach, nearby is a scuba center, but the lagoon pass diving is not for beginners. Rooms are very clean, decorated every AM (while you have a delicious French breakfast) with frangipani & hibiscus. Each fare has a private toilet, sink & shower, double bed, single bed, table/chairs. Note that many of the other B&Bs don't have private bathrooms. Get the full meal plan as they're great cooks, with huge amounts of food & a variety every day. Be sure to try the Poisson Cru (like cerviche w/o the chili pepper). They also have a large fare for families. Joachim, the half-English/half-French owner, has a deep sea fishing boat w/ all the safety gadgets. We enjoyed the tranquility, snorkeled & kayaked off the beach. Meals are communal. No car rental. You can walk to a nearby grocery store to buy liquor, bottled water or snacks, but honestly the food is so ample, I couldn't imagine anyone would want to eat snacks! Sun is very intense WATERPROOF SPF 50 recommend. We used Banana Boat Sportsblock & never burned.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fakarava
Village Temanoha
#10 of 17 in Avatoru
Miki Miki Lodge
Miki Miki Lodge
#4 of 17 in Avatoru

Been to Pearl Havaiki? Share your experiences!