“I didn't want to leave...EVER” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Los Angeles, California
“I didn't want to leave...EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

From the moment you get on the boat to head to the hotel from the airport, it is the BEST service EVER! We got off the boat and were greeted by our names, which is a nice touch. Everyone from the folks in the restaurant to housekeeping to front desk were ALL about customer service.
Bungalow: They are absolutely stunning! It is big enough to make it feel like you own house for the visit. You can completely un-pack and enjoy your stay! Only wish there would have been a DVD player in the bedroom too - would have been nice to lay in bed and watch movies, since there are only 2 English channels and you can only watch so much CNN. The housekeeping was great, 2 times a day and gave you as much as you wanted! The only down-side was 2 days into our vacation, they started to re-do the roof on the bungalow next to us, causing some noise, etc. They remedied the situation by offering for us to move, but the thought of packing up, etc was annoying, so we dealt with it and they sent a very nice bottle of champagne.
Food: We ended up doing the meal plan after we arrived which was a VERY good choice! Highly recommend, that way you don't think about how much you are spending to eat, you just enjoy! All the food was good, but you start getting creative with your choices after 5 days..
Activities: We were very busy on our vacation, but busy doing relaxing things! It was great to be able to jump off the balcony right into the amazing blue water. The pool was great to go to when you wanted to chat with others. We did the sting ray/shark feeding and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! They have a VERY nice gym that we used every day and great to get COLD water at all the time! The Spa was very pretty, nice to use after working out to relax your muscles. Only gripe, is that since this is a couple's hotel, would have been nice to have a couple's area with co-ed jacuzzi's etc.
If you are looking for a place to go party, this is not it...if you are looking for a place to enjoy your partner, meet great new people, be pampered all the time and truly relax, this is your place!!!
I am trying to plan my next visit!!

1 Thank Ms_GreenEyes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

Everything is overwhelmingly lovely. All you ever imagined for a dream destination, Bora Bora and 4 seasons deliver. Swimming out of your bungalow at 7am in the lagoon, perfect. The diving is fabulous, food is French so really refined even at the pool. All staff is French or Polynesian and they wear a permanent genuine smile. Stayed for 10 days exceptional most take the 3 day stay, still not bored. Some of the small details could use extra attention, new towels, new cushions, fresh flowers and a consistent service level at the concierge. We were advised a jeep safari with our 4 month old son...... Baby sits are rather expensive, 40EUR an hour.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Globe-World
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

This was the perfect place to spend Thanksgiving. Being in Bora Bora, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life, gives you the time to reflect on things that that you should be grateful for. Don't come here if you are looking to be out and about everyday. This is definitely place where doing nothing is the must-do. I definitely feel blessed to have been able to spend time at this place.

Now on to the details.

Itinerary: 7 days, 6 nights. One night spent in Tahiti at the Intercontinental Hotel because we arrived in Tahiti at 7:30pm and there are no inter-island flights at night. Left Tahiti to head to Bora Bora the following morning.

ARRIVAL IN BORA-BORA: In Bora Bora, we were greeted by the staff of Four Seasons where they gave us welcome leis upon arrival. They gave us tags to put on our luggage, which they loaded on to the catamaran themselves. On the catamaran, which was the first hint of how nice the resot would be, they gave us bottle water and cold face towels to freshen up. It was 86F and humid when we got there.

The boat ride from the airport to the hotel was about 20 minutes and during the 20-minute ride, we filled out the paperwork to check-in. How efficient! When we arrived at the resort, we were immediately whisked away on a golf cart where they gave us a tour of the property and took us to our room.

OUR ROOM: We got a mouintain view overwater bungalow and all I could say was WOW! The room must have been atleast 1000 sq ft. It had high ceilings and a thatched roof that made it seem more traditional rather than hotel-y. Polynesian artworks peppered the room and wood furnishings were used everywhere. The bed faces the million-dollar view of the aqua lagoon and Mt. Otemanu. It was also very comfortable! Another nice feature of the room is the gigantic tub which also faced the balcony and the water; soaked and rested in the tub on our first night there.

THE RESORT: The landscaping at the resort is top-notch! No dead leaves littering anywhere. You can see rake marks on the sand at the beach or around the lagoon. They definitely keep things spotless. Everytime we walked around, we thought we were in a tropical forest somewhere. The trees and plants then open up to the view of the water - the crowning glory of Bora Bora. So many shades of blue that just transitions from one color to the next. And the marine life - fishes, turtles, sting/manta rays, sand crabs - they're all there waiting for you to snap a picture or two. We snorkeled in the lagoon but we didn't even have to put our head in the water because the water was so clear you could see the fishes from above.

AMENITIES: No free internet access, which I'm glad we didn't have because I wouldn't want the distraction of the online world. There is free internet access in the business center which had 3 computers and the Teen Island where there is 1 computer. The Teen Island had a pool table, pingpong table, computer games, xbox, ps3, and air hockey table all free to use by the guests.

They have a watersport activities center - kayaks, paddle boards, snorkeling gears, etc are also free to use by the guests. They put a limit of 1-hour to use the kayaks or paddle boards but I don't think anyone is really watching the clock.

Padded lounge chairs, cabanas, hammocks are all over the pool and beach area. They offer you free smoothies or shakes to cool down a bit. Sunblocks and lotions are also available. There is no fee to use the huge cabanas.

Spa and Fitness center: I took a look around the spa but didn't get any treatments, so can't say much about it. My husband used the fitness center almost every morning and it has a nice view of the ocean (not the lagoon) and they fresh fruits and bottled water for free. The equipments are new since the resort is only 2 years old and are, therefore, in great condition.

RESTAURANTS: In general, the food at the resort was just ok. They are not bad, don't get me wrong, but I've been to other Four Seasons restaurants where the food was a lot better. The resort has four restaurants - Arii Moana, Tere Nui, Sunset Bar, and Fare Hoa. We ate in all of them. The Arii Moana is the specialty dining area. I had the lamb and my husband had the mahi-mahi. My lamb was great but my husband's fish was a little overcooked. The Tere Nui is the breakfast area and since our package came with a daily buffet breakfast, we had breakfast at the Tere Nui everyday. The menu didn't change much so we basically had the same things everyday - fresh fruits, pancakes or waffles, freshly squeezed juice, smoked fishes and cold cuts, cereals, bacon, sausages, omelet station, frech breads, muffins, etc. The best thing I had here was the french toast.

Sunset Bar serves sushi and is a great spot to, well, you guessed it, watch sunset. They offer taro chips and dips for free as a starter. My husband had the sashimi and I had the glazed duck, which was slices of duck over a bed of vegetables. Not bad.

Fare Hoa is the poolside restaurant. The local beers - tabu and hinano are the cheapest things on the drink menu and I ordered the Tabu with my fish sandwich and was surprised by how good they were. Funny, I think I had my best meal here and it only cost less than $40.

SERVICE: Well, we chose the Four Seasons because their service has always been exceptional. This one didn't disappoint. Everyone greets you with "Ia Orana," which for atleast 3 days sounded like "naranha" to us. We were like, "doesn't naranja mean 'orange' in spanish?" LOL! We finally googled it and found out it is the Tahitian greeting which means "hi or hello" or literally means "good health." It sounds like yo-rah-nah. This is like the Hawaiian "Aloha." I must say, though, that I was very, very impresed with the room service staff. They kept our room spic and span, moved anything we had drying out in the balcony inside if they thought it would rain. I left a personal item in my robe once and the lady actually retrieved it from the laundry area for me. They clean your room twice a day and always bring water bottles and leave them on your bedside tables at night. Drinking water in Bora Bora is a NECESSITY! They give you 4 free bottles everyday.

CONCIERGE: We also arranged dinner on the main island one night and the concierge took care of everything for us - the reservation, the boat transfer, and the taxi ride from the dock to the restaurant. They even print this out for you so there will be no miscommunications.

COST: Well, this is definitely not an inexpensive vacation to have. I was prepared for the cost of the package - room and airfare but I was shocked to see the cost of even the most basic things. We had a chance to go to a local supermarket in Tahiti and everything was ridiculously expensive. $12 for a chocolate bar I pay $3 in the US for??? At the resort, I broke the only hair clip I brought with me and with over 20 inches of hair, I needed something to tie it with so I went to the gift shop area. A set of 3 scrunchies - you know, the elastic stuff you tie your hair with? - $10! A glass of wine is anywhere from $10 - $20. Alcoholic drinks at the pool area were 2000 XFP or roughly $22 each ( I had the pineapple mojito - yummy). We participated in their Polynesian night, kinda like the Hawaiian luau, and it was $150 per person, I think. 4 bottles of wine on a table shared by 10 people and a 4-course meal with the traditional dances and show. Every dinner we had was nothing less than $150 each time. If you are thinking of buying souvenirs, not even the Papeete Public Market is that good of a deal, wait until you get to the Duty Free shop at the Papeete airport. Their shirts and liquor definitely are better priced. If you want to have alcohol and you are coming from the US - buy it from the duty free shop here. It's difficult to try and be cost-effective in Bora Bora if you are staying in one of the motu's outside the main island because you don't have a lot of options. But if you are prepared for the cost, every penny is definitely worth it!

Reviews of the restaurant outside of the Four Seasons as well as the jetski tour we did will be posted on another review.

7 Thank Canon_Shutterbug
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

My husband and I went to Bora Bora for our honeymoon in March 2009. The Four Seasons speaks for itself (the resort was gorgeous, friendly and helpful staff) however very overpriced. Only one restaurant was open for dinner each night and taking the water taxi to eat off the resort was $50.00-$75.00 per couple. Needless to say, eating from the same menu each night was redundant. We were staying in an over-water bungalow with private plunge pool costing $1,500.00 a night! ( you would think that at least the water taxi would be complimentary) The food was satisfactory...nothing out of this world. Their amenities were wonderful (pool,spa,gym). Overall the resort was beautiful, but I would not stay here again. You can find just as beautiful a hotel without spending such a pretty penny!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Victoria721
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

This hotel was absolutely perfect. We stayed 4 days and 3 nights for our honeymoon and everything was beyond our expectations. First- the room was gorgeous. It was very large as advertised and everything was new and clean. The housekeeping kept it that way. I loved the big tub that you could open the doors and feel like you are taking a bath in the ocean. Also flat screen TV with DVD player was so nice.

Loved the sunset bar and the sushi they served there. Also loved the polynesian BBQ night which included steak, lamb, chicken, baked potatos, all kinds of great food. The steak at Ari Moana was very good.

The drinks were delicious at the pool bar and I loved the signature cocnut drink. The maitre d' at the pool learned our names and went above and beyond to be sure we were always happy and with food and drinks.

We did a couples massage at the spa- that was amazing! Behind the spa if you leave the resort there is a really area with rocks, and it is gorgeous around sunset!

Oliver the marine biologist was so friendly and taught us all about the fish- having the lagoon area was fantastic! There was even a pool table, ping pong table, and computer center by the lagoon for guests to use after snorkeling.

For excursions we booked through the hotel a private boat to do shark feeding and sting ray feeding. It was worth every penny. The hotel organized everything perfectly and the excursion itself was unbelievable!

Finally the grounds were immaculate which was to be expected at a four seasons- it never felt crowded at all. We would return in a heartbeat- and if we go back to bora-Bora we will likely stay even longer!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NYCGirl5201
Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

We just got back from the FS in Bora Bora 11-9-10. We did not want to leave.
Our over the water bungalow was fantastic and very comfortable. Turn down service every night was excellent with free bottled water, fresh towels, and cleaning of the bathroom again.
The food was excellent at both the buffets and the Arii Moana. The buffet had quite a bit of different choices every day unlike the other place we stayed at on Moorea. The only thing that was confusing was the restaurants were not open every day like the information provided to us said. The buffet and Arii Moana switched off every other day.
All of the staff in every department were very friendly and eager to accommodate their guests, unlike the other "luxury" hotel we stayed at on Moorea.
This was a once in a lifetime trip for us and we only wish we had stayed our entire time at the Four Seasons instead of splitting it between Bora Bora and Moorea.

2 Thank Kelly R
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

We spent 8 days at this hotel from October 11 to 18. We are both 40 years old, and were not celebrating anything special. This is a beautiful hotel, and most staff were helpful and accommodating. However, I don’t truly feel the cost of this hotel is compatible with the quality of service and food.

We ended up in a beachfront room and it was very close to the restaurants/reception. They didn’t originally honour my written request to be closer to the resort (due to a foot injury) and instead, had us in the farthest pontoon area. I had to request this again upon arrival, and they spent an hour or so trying to find us something closer. I just feel that for a hotel of this level, they should be paying attention to a request like this (that was sent by myself and by my TA in advance). And they originally had us in a resort view, even though we booked with a preferred partner and were to receive a complimentary upgrade. But once we brought it to their attention, they agreed to find us something else.

First, the rooms are beautiful, and generally speaking, well-designed. The living room area didn’t get used at all, so I would recommend that the larger TV be put the in bedroom area. The bathroom was strangely awkward, and the tub was completely hilarious. I’m 5 foot 2 and almost got lost in it. It was just too big to relax in and the water gets cold too quickly. I was surprised by the eco-friendly attempt at ceramic refillable shampoo and conditioners. I didn’t really like these, and was worried I was going to drop them on my toe and break it. Also, for $1000 per night, would it hurt them to provide small bottles of shampoo, really? It came across as cheap (not eco) and was completely inconsistent with the surplus of plastic water bottles/and small ketchup containers, etc. around the hotel. The Four Seasons beds are really the best beds we have ever slept in, and are considering buying one for our home. We had the biggest issue with daily housekeeping, as they typically forgot face clothes, or bottled water, or beach towels. We called every day to ask for face clothes, and by the 6th day it was getting very frustrating. At no point did they provide any reasonable explanation about the lack of face clothes, but they continued to bother us with follow up calls, and apology letters. I don’t want this kind of hassle on vacation, I just want to relax. It’s really a simple request to provide face clothes.

The resort was very well kept and the gardeners do a fabulous job of maintaining the look of the resort. The spa was very nice, and the treatment was about average. The best part of the spa was the waiting/relaxation lounge that had beds and blankets and a stunning view.

Overall the food was okay, but not great. The buffet breakfast was good, but did get a big tiring after 8 days. I was generally okay with abundance of flies around the buffet area, but I can see how this would bother people. They should consider plastic covers for the breads/fruits. I most enjoyed my morning cappuccino and really excellent croissants. The head manager of the buffet was a lovely man named Sebastian, and he made our mornings more enjoyable by chatting with us.

We ate several nights at Sunset Bar for a more causal experience, twice for room service (good lamb), and once at Arii Moana. Overall, we were not setting the bar too high for our food expectations, but in the end we were really disappointed.

Our server at the Sunset Bar was named Tatu. He was by far the best and most enthusiastic server we had the entire week. We really can’t fault the service here. What we can fault is the quality of food and just overall expense. It’s difficult to justify $33 US for a 6 piece California roll. No matter how you add it, even if you tripled the cost, this is just way too expensive. And the complimentary pre-drink snacks of stale potato chips was just laughable. Really, how difficult would it be to bring in some cocktail nuts.

Overall ,we did some really great excursions (Moana Tours and Reef Discovery with Christophe) and had pretty decent weather. The staff were gracious and welcoming and this could be a really excellent hotel with some minor changes. Will we return to this hotel in the future … probably yes, but at $17K for an 11 day vacation, we will wait a few years.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple