“A five star resort in Polynesia. Not a five star Polynesian resort...”

Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed May 26, 2010

By way of background, we ended our honeymoon at the Four Seasons in April after staying at Le Taha'a and spending four days with Roa Yachting. I recommend the FS to anyone but with the small reservation stated at the end (and in the title of the review).

The room:
The room was fantastic. We had a plunge pool suite at the very end of the pontoon. From our deck we looked straight across the lagoon at Mount Otemanu and it could not have been more perfect. The plunge pool is a wonderful touch to have as the days were very hot and although you can just jump into the ocean, the depth and currents made that a little more difficult at the Four Seasons than at Le Taha'a where we had stayed earlier. Plus the main resort pool was constantly filled beyond capacity with a very large and very loud corporate group on retreat (so much for an end to fat cat perks) so the great room was much appreciated. But bottom line, the rooms are beautiful. Well decorated and huge. Definitely one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in.
Food:
We had the breakfast plan so we had the buffet everyday except one. It is a good buffet with fresh fruit, and egg station, and plenty of options to satisfy my North American belly. We often ate so much that we skipped lunch although on occasion we ordered a burger or a sandwich tp share. It was always good but not great. We only ate out at the fine dining restaurant once and it was good. Again, not great but good. The service was a little slow but pleasant. We had a canoe breakfast one morning and it was great (the Polynesian breakfast with poisson cru). If you go to French Polynesai and don't try the poisson cru you are crazy. It is excellent. We found that by far the best option for supper was room service. The portions are very big (especially the chicken fingers) and while the food is basic, it is great to sit on your patio and enjoy the silence and the view.
Spa:
I didn't have any treatments at the spa but my wife did. She was very happy. I did tour the spa and it is beautiful and the people very friendly and accommodating. The fitness facility is very good.
The Grounds:
The grounds are very big. Prepare for long walks or rides on the back of a golf cart (very handy). The private lagoon is nice but certainly no substitute for the great snorkeling around Bora Bora. The marine biologist is very interesting and I would recommend his tour of the private lagoon (its free). The pool is very nice and the day cabanas are free to use although we didn't use either very much due to the very loud and obnoxious North American corporate function that planted itself in the pool every day. Absent that, I am sure it would have been a great place to hang out. The beaches look fine but we never used them and never saw anyone else using them either.

It is hard to describe why this hotel doesn't get my full and complete recommendation. I guess it is just not a Polynesian 5 star luxury hotel. It is a 5 star luxury hotel that just happens to be in Polynesia, if that makes any sense. It is almost like French Polynesia Vegas style (and don't get me wrong, I love Vegas). You will be pampered and spoiled and love your room but if you are looking for a real Polynesian experience, this just isn't the place (in fact you will be hard pressed to find any Polynesians anywhere except on the cleaning staff). My view may be coloured by our stay at Le Taha'a (a much more intimate "Polynesian" experience) and 4 days with Roa Yachting (the best 4 days ever!!) and I would be happy to answer any questions anyone might have on my comments.

5  Thank SPJ1973
Write a ReviewReviews (2,989)

Reviewed May 25, 2010

This really is perfect paradise!

The last six nights of our honeymoon we spent at the Four Seasons Bora Bora and had a remarkable time. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous, our over the water bungalow was the best choice and the activities, meals were all fantastic.

We had everything pre planned for us and it worked out very well. Having our meal plan included with our package was a great value. The food here is outstanding. An excellent wine list as well.

I am glad that we had our activities included, it was nice to have some scheduled day trips that we enjoyed. Our travel agent even scheduled our spa appointments which was a time saver! The spa is relaxing and one of the best treatments we had during our time in Tahiti.

We visited a couple of other islands before Bora Bora. I am glad we saved the best for last.

When considering our destination, we knew our budget was going to have to expand, but it was well worth the added expense, to have the honeymoon of our dreams. Would highly recommend help with this destination, there are so many details that have to go smoothly. it was nice to know we had the best advisor out there!

Perfect paradise for our honeymoon and we are considering it again for our 5th anniversary as well. It was over the top with its natural beauty.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SweetLife60
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the Bora Bora FS resort. Our over water bungalow had the most incredible view. The service and setting was a perfect match for our vacation.

The rooms were large, comfortable bedding, and the most incredible views from our outside terrace (which you could swim from).

We initially thought it out of our budget, but so glad we made the choice to stay here. Our travel consultant did a wonderful job putting everything together. From our flights, transfers, inter-island air, ferry (we stayed on several islands), activities and meal plans. I could of never planned this trip by myself- it was nice to have an experienced agent for the help. I would highly recommend her services.

The entire stay was so well organized from the beginning; it was nice to relax and have the vacation of our dreams. The island and jet ski tour was our favorite.

The service was top notch. The staff always willing to help and exceeded our expectations. The pool and beach areas were fantastic. The spa services we had were incredible.

I would highly recommend this resort and look forward to a return trip.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelinMan049
Reviewed May 6, 2010

My wife and I spent the second half of our honeymoon at the Four Seasons, we were at the Intercontinental the first half, and upon arrival were greeted with fresh flowers and juice. Following check in we went to the bar by the pool were we came across your typical loud, obnoxious American. This was exactly what we were trying to avoid!! Every guest was American and it seemed more like a hotel in Miami than in the middle of paradise. I don't want to bad mouth the hotel itself, but if you are looking to get away from the ordinary, make sure you avoid this place. It is overwhelmingly big, and since we paid the extra for the plunge pool and the bigger suite, we were the very last room in the resort at the end of the lagoon. The room was amazing, just incredibly far, at least 1/2 a mile to the reception desk. Don't bother calling for a ride, because everyone there is on island time. The lagoon "sanctuary" had such a strong potent smell coming from it you had to hold your breath while crossing the bridge. The day of our departure we decided to burn some time by going to the spa. That was a disappointment, it was very small and nothing that was extraordinary. Maybe we had just been so spoiled by the Intercontinental Thallaso's spa that made this uneventful for us. If you have the means I would suggest staying at Intercontinental, it was far superior to the Four Seasons and the getaway you expect when going to such a beautiful place. Otherwise, save your money and go somewhere in the states, because it's the same thing!

5  Thank courtd1980
Reviewed April 27, 2010

To begin with , I saved the best for last during my week in Tahiti. It was a busy week and I covered a lot of territory, mostly in the Leeward Islands (Bora Bora and Tahaa). Arriving at the Four Seasons Bora Bora was just like arriving home to long lost family. The boat ride through the sparkling azure lagoon from the airport to the resort sets the mood for the smiling faces that await you as you step off of the classy shuttle boat onto the steps of the resort. I was ready to relax and soak up all of the care and love that the Four Seasons Bora Bora Resort & Spa had already earned the reputation for giving, in the short time it has been open.

My Otemanu Overwater Suite Bungalow (also known as Mountainview) was spectacular and it took only minutes to slip into my bathing suit and dive into the warm waters of the lagoon. I had a little work to do online and VOILA, high speed wireless allowed me to sit on my covered deck, with inspiration all around, and sneak in a few emails and such. Not to be confused with the daily grind, I have grown accustom to working in my "office without walls" from some of the most stunning places in the South Pacific and Hawaii. And here, although not the focus of why you would want to stay at the Four Seasons Bora Bora, having high speed wireless internet allows the freedom to actually take a vacation, even though there are some work details to attend to. Okay, back to my story!

What is an overwater bungalow without French Champagne and pungent French cheese? Well, it's is STILL wonderful, but honestly, don't you agree, sipping champagne in your own overwater bungalow watching the sunset go down behind Sacred Mount Otemanu must be on your Must Do list for the best romance in your life. Each of the Overwater Suites have a huge bathtub that sits right inside the bungalow. Huge glass doors open to an unobstructed view of the lagoon and Otemanu. I could not resist! I filled the bathtub up and climbed right in with my glass of champagne and had to pinch myself to make sure it was not a dream. The only thing better would have been to have my sweetie with me (to Tahiti) but this was a work trip :) When I travel alone, I usually tell people I travel as a Trio. Me, Myself and I, so there is usually plenty enough "conversation" to keep things interesting. Oh, and by the way, if you have read any of my other reviews, you will notice some common behavior. Champagne and bathtubs or jacuzzi's. Just a heads up!

A truly IMPORTANT feature for a heavenly vacation, is the view from the bed. The better the view, the MORE romantic. 6 thumbs up for the view from my bed. The view, coupled with the comfort level, immediately lends itself to the desire to NOT get out of bed! Four Seasons is world renowed for their comfy beds and luscious sheets. I admit to spending a little extra time between the sheets for the express purpose of being able to relay this information to you...........

As is normal in my Solo meanderings to luxury hotels in the South Pacific and Hawaii, I almost always order Eggs Benedict for my room service breakfast. Sometimes I order them without the muffin, fish instead of meat, add spinach, and with EXTRA hollandaise, in an attempt to find a low carb option :) The Eggs Benedict I enjoyed on my covered deck in my overwater bungalow were enough to make me swoon! Note to self! I must return to the Four Seasons Bora Bora for the best eggs benedict in Tahiti!

My favorite dining venue was the Beach Bar. For me, it's all about view AND delicious food and nice staff. All of the dining I enjoyed while at the Four Seasons Bora Bora was excellent and delivered by the friendliest staff I've ever met in Tahiti.

The Spa experience was delightful, set in an area by the ocean side of the Motu and the Lagoon side. For my next visit, I have my sights on the "couples" spa bungalow. This magical open air spa bungalow hovers over the blue lagoon, has a view of Mt Otemanu, 2 massage tables and a jacuzzi. For this, I am bringing my Sweetie to Tahiti FOR SURE. You MUST do this if you can. Breath in the serenity, find calm within your hearts and souls. Embrace the spirit of the one you love.

There is so much more about this resort worth mentioning but I'll stop with just a couple more. We had clients at the resort while I was there, a family from Toronto. They exclaimed to me that it was the BEST family beach vacation they had ever taken. The kids club is so much fun and enriching and it's FREE, as are many other services at ALL Four Seasons worldwide. There are so many activities and fun things to do there, or do nothing at all. Try a dinner on the beach or get married/renew your vows in their chapel with a heavenly view of Otemanu? And don't forget to pop on over to the main island of Bora Bora to enjoy some Black Pearl shopping (although the shop at the Four Seasons is fantastic). Take a night off and go to Bloody Mary's or Chez Mahana for unique dining experiences.

I was so smitten with my Four Seasons Bora Bora experience, that I promptly made arrangements for one of our Travel Designers to go to Tahiti for 2 weeks. Lori Evans has just returned and has even MORE tales to share about this heavenly resort. Lori has worked for McCoyTravel.com for over 7 years.

Well, it's time to go to work. Back here on Maui, I'm heading down the mountain from Upper Kula (with the top down in my Miata) , through horse dotted rolling pastures and flowering purple jacaranda trees.
What is really boils down to here is a phrase that James Michener coined, "Mad about Islands" or "Nesomania". Bora Bora may be the most romantic island on earth (according to me!), but it's the obsession with Islands and all of their personalities that puts a sparkle in my eye daily. In the meantime, I'm already planning my return to Bora Bora Four Seasons. Because in every life a change of latitude helps change our attitude :) Manuia - Cheers!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank MelissaMcCoy
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Resort is stunning - nicest room I've EVER stayed at. Agree with most of the reviews and won't reitterate.

Negatives: They nickle and dime you! When you're paying the amount of money to stay there, they charge $20, per person, each way to take the shuttle to Viatape for shopping or food. So before you drop $1 for a drink or an appetizer on the island, you've already paid $80 to get there and back. We talked to another couple who stayed at the Hilton and said all their transfers were free. If the resort had better food options, it wouldn't have been a problem, but it was average, not like other Four Seasons where you had choices and good restaurants.

Conceirge Staff also seemed 'confused' and annoyed with American guests. (They were French.) After merely asking questions on prices and availability, seemed to be offended we didn't want to drop $450/person for a 15 minute helicopter ride. Really? Do the math, we chose to snorkle instead.

We ordered room service 2 nights instead of spending money on shuttle or eating in restaurant. Advice: order off the Teen or Kids menu. Food is 1/2 as expensive and they give you just as much.

Spa was booked every day until 7pm. I have no idea why, I suppose you need to book early, but was frustrating. Beautiful spa, very relaxing.

2  Thank Earrin
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We stayed at the Four Season Bora Bora for the second leg of our awesome honeymoon.

I feel as if 4/5 stars is damning with faint praise. Yes, its hard to live up to 1k+ per night - but it is possible.

Biggest Cons:
1. The service from the European/International/American staff was very cold, and phone calls were never returned. Only once did someone go out of their way for us (which was lovely). The rest of the time, I felt like they were either snotty, or would listen to a question or issue and then completely ignore you. Older couples got better results, or people with big attitudes who complained a lot and yelled at them. We are a happy and friendly couple, and we were totally poo-poo'ed. Not cool. Not at all.

* If it wasn't for this, 5 out of 5 stars for the Four Seasons - but this was a big one, and a pervasive issue for us.*

2. The glass panels in the room were TINY. They provided some pretty lighting.
3. Our chairs on the deck had dirty cushions. It sounds picky, but again, for $1k+ a night, those puppies should be clllllean. We got them replaced, but the replacements were icky too.

Biggest Pluses:
1. The room had this bathtub with huge doors that opened up to the lagoon. Luxury, baby! holy moly!!
2. The pool. The Polynesian pool staff was OUTRAGEOUS. We loved them. So friendly, warm, funny - made you feel comfortable asking for anything.
And an infinity edge pool? Even my husband who is not a pool person was LOVING it.
3. Great excursions could be arranged by the hotel. Snorkeling, sting ray trip, jet-skiing. SO MUCH FUN!!!!
4. The luau was a blast and had delicious food.
5. The style of the hotel is so polished and beautiful! Everything is Gorgeousness.
6. A few eating places to chose from, which is always fun!

Tip: If you prefer a view to ultra-privacy, do a mountain view room. We just paid for the highest class room short of the villa, and though it had more privacy, no view of the amazing peaks of bora bora. Changed rooms, and we LOVED our view. Glad they could do it - but sadly they didnt give us any money back even though it was a cheaper room. I think I saw on their website that they are changing it around so that the highest class rooms do indeed have views of Bora Bora.

Another tip: drinks are reallllly expensie. Buy some booze at the airport duty free and make your own drinks! :)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple