“Paradise”

Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
“Paradise”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went to Bora Bora for our honeymoon and stayed in one of the over water bungalows it was above and beyond the best hotel we've ever stayed in- the people were all so amazingly nice, the hotel room was perfect- really beautiful and clean. The restaurants are really good we especially loved the sushi at the sunset bar so much that we canceled another reservation and went back for a 2nd time! I also used the spa for a manicure it was really relaxing and pretty back there. The beach and pool are so nice and pretty and all the guys working bringing you water & drinks are so friendly and make you feel so relaxed and comfortable. Over all the best resort we have ever been we didn't want to ever leave!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rebecca L
GuestExperienceBora, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Hello Rebecca, Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words here. Even more important thank you for choosing us as your honeymoon destination -we love to hear that our guest found “paradise” and that you particularly love the service at the pool, the food (specifically the sushi at Sunset Bar-Yum), and the spa. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Four Season's runs top of the line budiness hotels but if you know them you might be disappointed by this property. It appears not so well managed and the property has no character that would set it apart from other resorts in the lagoon. Wether it is the buffet that is not restocked during the evening, the room not being ready even at 2pm or the extra internet charge of USD 25 there are many small things that you would not expect from a hotel of this (price-) category. In addition, it is too big to convey any sense of intimacy. Overpriced und underwhelming. Would not make it even in my top 100 list of beach resorts.

• Stayed January 2014
13 Thank Stefan_ZH_12
Hello Stefan, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here. We appreciate your feedback, which we will certainly use as we continue to better the experience here. Please send us a direct message with your contact information or contact our Resort Manager at Christophe.Chabaud@fourseasons.com if you'd like to discuss any of this further.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This place is paradise . The overwater bungalow with a plunge pool is very beautiful . Everyone is so friendly . The restaurants are lovely. The spa , massage , and the facilities are haven
We are coming back again next year
Pam & Erwin

Room Tip: Overwater bungalow with plunge pool
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ErwinS2014
GuestExperienceBora, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Pam and Erwin- We truly look forward to your return! Thank you for sharing you experience here, we’re very excited to hear that you enjoyed your over-water bungalow with plunge pool, the restaurants, spa, and our friendly staff. Happy Holidays!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have just returned from nine days at the Four Seasons Bora Bora. It is quite simply the most spectacular resort we have ever seen. Before I go into our thoughts and recommendations on the resort (which are long and tripadvisor will have to insert the “more” button), I must say a very special thank you to Tasha at the Black Pearl Lounge. Not only did she give me a wonderful education on Tahitian pearls, she and the owner created the most spectacular strand of black pearls for me. I would highly recommend stopping in to see the truly unparalleled pearl jewelry and warm and wonderful service.

So as to specifics, here we go:

Family Friendly - As a family of four (kids 11 and 13) from the San Francisco area, we were thrilled with the friendly environment at the resort. We spent Christmas there and the resort had a surprise special snack delivered to our room Christmas eve, complete with chocolate turtles covered in what looked like green moss. Santa came Christmas morning, arriving on a jet ski and posing for pictures and giving each kid a present. The kids gleefully jumped off our deck and swam back and forth to the pool/beach side of the resort all the time. We felt so comfortable there that they had a lot of freedom and independence.

Food and Rooms – We aren’t food connoisseurs, but the food was consistently good, fresh, well presented and quick (good for antsy kids). The pool service was impressive, fast and very good. As to rooms, we were in overwater villa 104, which was wonderful as it was a shorter walk to the main resort and we almost always forgot something and had to go back. The other wing of overwater villas is quite a walk, probably 15-20 minutes to the more remote ones.

Grounds – The grounds are incredible, extraordinarily well maintained and with the hushed elegance of true luxury. We explored the entire resort and discovered lovely nooks at every turn. We even explored the ocean side, which is quite rugged but so beautiful. We were delighted to come across piles of fresh coconut husks that looked like they were just picked and used for our breakfasts.

Resort Activities - There are so many activities at the resort, the best of which for us were the lagoon snorkeling, swimming right off our deck, stand up paddleboarding and the pool. The lagoon is unbelievable. It’s like swimming in a fish tank, we probably went every day. We got bread (the fish especially like english muffins) at the restaurant and could go snorkeling any time. There are top of the line snorkels in every room so you don't even have to go get them. It seems like most of the shyer fish are out in the morning. We saw and hand fed banana yellow puffers, swam with huge blue-grey fish that followed us around like dogs and even saw two eels peeking out of the coral. Just amazing!

Excursions – We did the Ray and Shark Snorkel Safari and the Submarine Experience.

The Ray and Shark safari was great. At a sandbar, you get out and stand while the rays snuggle up to you and swim around your legs like cats while the black tip reef sharks circle around (a bit ominously if you ask my son). Next is to a coral garden for snorkeling. The guide showed a huge moray eel that the photographer was petting like a dog. Then it’s on to the sharks. Probably 40 or 50 of them. The guide whipped the black tip sharks, which are about 3-4 feet long, into a frenzy with chum right as we were supposed to jump in and snorkel around. And then we jump in, look down and see the huge lemon sharks, about 8-10 feet long, swirling around right below us about 15 feet down. But it didn’t really feel scary, just exhilarating. Highly recommended.

The submarine was wonderful too. You go to Vaitape and take a boat past the reef into the deeper ocean. The sub is literally a little yellow sub that holds 6 people plus the operator. We got settled then descended to about 150 feet below the surface. It’s a little unnerving at first, but you get used to it. We must have seen 50,000 fish. It was crazy to see the reef life from that perspective. The pictures are fabulous. The depth of the ocean cuts almost all color out of our visual spectrum so the fish look mostly grey but if you turn on the flash, you can see the vibrant reds of the Snappers, blues of the Damsels and yellows of the Moorish Idols. So worth it!

The trip into Vaitape is good for souvenirs. The resort runs a free shuttle most days that leaves at 11:15 am and returns at 2:45 pm. That’s plenty of time as the town is very small.

The Service – Even for a company known for its service, the Four Seasons Bora Bora staff goes above and beyond. Every request was met courteously, promptly and thoroughly. And the best parts were the little extras: the hourly smoothie shots and fruit offered at the pool; the fact that the servers at the breakfast knew our names and preferences after the first day; the “happy birthday of your wedding” greeting from a lovely server at 7:00 am the morning of our anniversary as I was getting coffee. The rooms were meticulously made up twice a day with extremely thoughtful service.

The Black Pearl Lounge – I am an inveterate bargain shopper but want to get quality along with a reasonable price. Normally I could not imagine a high-end resort shop providing both, especially when there are numerous shops “in town” that offer Tahitian pearls and one would think they would do better. But Tasha at the Black Pearl Lounge gently proved me wrong. I went in after getting some souvenir pearls in town to learn more before buying anything substantial. I figured that there was no way the resort store would have anything in my more modest price range. After Tasha spent an hour showing and telling me all about Tahitian pearls, she very graciously asked my range and said that she would talk to the owner about putting something together of great quality that would be in my range. I didn’t think it would be possible as she was basing her ideas on a $24k strand that I loved but was several multiples out of my range. Happily, she did exactly what she promised and I fell in love with the most beautiful string of “peacock” black pearls, tinged with green, blue and aubergine that she had created for me. My son says they look like mirrors they are so shiny. Almost everyone I saw afterward who knew black pearls gasped and told me how beautiful they were. If you have any thoughts of buying black pearls, Tasha and the Black Pearl Lounge should be your first stop. After you see the comparison, you’ll be back.

The Intangibles – There is something about the resort and Bora Bora that is so difficult to truly capture but can best be described as a feeling of relaxation that you just melt into. The easy luxury of the surroundings, the ability to do what you want pretty much any time you want to do it is wonderful. Access to the fitness center any time with your room card, hot tub in the spa open to all during spa hours, not just to those getting treatments, the check in process that consists solely of being escorted to your room after the boat ride from the airport. Just fantastic.

We were so sad to leave (even after nine days ☺). On the way to the lobby to take the boat to the airport, my 11 year old son says “I love this Mom, I’m sad that I probably won’t be back until my honeymoon.” Me: “You think you’ll come back here for your honeymoon?” Him: “Absolutely. This place is amazing. I’m definitely coming here for my honeymoon.”

So there you have it – what better recommendation than an 11 year old boy planning on coming back to the Four Seasons Bora Bora for his honeymoon. And with any luck, we’ll all be back before then.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 100-200 wing are MUCH closer to the resort which was so important to us as our kids...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
20 Thank Janet T
Hello Janet, thank you for your glowing review! I must say that your 11 year old son’s comments are the talk of the resort- thank you for sharing! We’re so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that you particularly love the service, your over-water bungalow, food options, and your excursions. It was a pleasure reading your review- we truly hope to see you and your family again soon- hopefully before your sons honeymoon . Thank you again!
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Admittedly, when I visit a Four Seasons, I have high expectations. The Four Seasons Bora Bora exceeded those expectations. The natural beauty is of course amazing, but the service I experienced by EVERY staff member was wonderful. I felt truly cared for by everyone I met. I was greeted with a smile and warm greeting everywhere I went throughout the resort. The rooms are beautiful. I was able to see the overwater bungalows, but actually stayed in one of the villas. It was absolutely lovely. Big, warm, comfortable...it would be a fantastic option for families or two couples with its own private pool, jacuzzi and small beach. The seclusion of the villas is wonderful, and very quiet and romantic. The food was fantastic - the Poisson Cru was my favorite! I snorkeled in their private lagoon, enjoyed a jet ski tour while there and loved doing both! I visited for work, but knew immediately I wanted to return with my husband...SOON. The spectacular beauty of the resort and it's surroundings are worth the visit, but it was the staff that left the biggest impression on me. I actually welled up with tears the day I left. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here. I loved our villa, but would love an overwater bungalow with a view of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Cindyttravels
GuestExperienceBora, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello Cindy and thank you for the glowing review- we’re thrilled beyond words to read that your time with us “exceeded your expectations”. Our staff prides themselves on being personable and helpful in every way possible, so we’re also very delighted to hear they took good care of you and I look forward to sharing your compliments with them. Please start making plans to come back to see us again – thanks
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We picked this beautiful resort for our 10 year wedding anniversary and were not disappointed. It's an expensive resort, but the quality of service, rooms, views and surrounding is magnificent. From the time you arrive in the Bora Bora airport to the departure you get treatment, which makes you feel special and enjoy this beautiful place.

The resort’s grounds were beautiful with free oversize family cabanas by the pool, private lagoon with resident marine biologist, who takes care of it, lovely Spa and magnificent views to Mount Otemanu.

We stayed in the overwater bungalow at the east pontoon, which was amazing with oversize bathtub, great deck and beautiful bedroom. The only thing, if you like to snorkel you might want to choose west pontoon (100s or 200s), it was built earlier and has some coral growth on the foundations, which attracts fish. 300s and 400s OWBs are newer and probably nicer inside, but don’t have much marine life around them.

We took our 4-year old daughter with us and she loved the kids club. She preferred to be in the kids club than going to the pool, which was amazing, since usually it’s hard to get her out of the pool and amount of craft and activities they have done in 8 days we stays there was comparable to a year in her day care. Even now, 6 months later, she would ask when we can go back to Bora Bora and kids club is what she remembers from Bora Bora the most.

We ate mostly in Arii Moana (fine dining) and Sunset Restaurant (casual) and the quality of food in both places was excellent. We were also hoping to have a dinner in St Regis at Lagoon by Jean Georges, which is just next door to Four Seasons, but it was fully booked for all the time we were there. We heard that it’s very nice and you would probably need to book it prior of arriving to make sure you get a spot.

We took shark and ray excursion with Moana Adventure Tours, which I highly recommend. The lemon sharks and visibility in that area, just outside of the Bora Bora lagoon is amazing. I also went for diving with Topdive and it was great to see some manta rays, although the water in that spot was murky.

Overall, it was our best vacation to date, the luxury of the place, unique views and great food are worth the extra you pay for the privilege to stay here. We highly recommend it for families as well as couples who would like to have a great relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: 100s or 200s OWBs are be for snorkling and marine life.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank ILYA_PACH
Thank you for sharing your amazing experience and for choosing to celebrate your 10 year wedding anniversary with us at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora. We're truly happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that you particularly enjoyed our Kids for all Seasons program, our restaurants, the pool, and lagoon. We have passed on your lovely feedback to our team and we hope to welcome you and your family back one day!
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed December 31, 2013

You can STOP searching for the perfect beach getaway NOW. It is right here at the Four Seasons on Bora Bora. My wife and I just returned from nine days of heaven on earth. We are a very active early 60's couple from San Francisco having traveled the earth looking for great beach resorts among other things. We finally found it! If we were having another honeymoon this would be the choice hands down. The whole package is here: warm and beautiful water, great snorkeling, groomed beaches, fabulous food, genuinely friendly service and spirit, incredible over water bungalows, wonderful restaurants, romantic atmosphere, beautiful grounds, every need anticipated, uncrowded even at Christmas (with 100% occupancy!), friendly and present management (hats off to GM Michel and Room Director Igor), full service pampering spa and great wifi. I apologize but let me drop a few names of great beach places we have visited but still even fall short of this resort to help you calibrate: Little Dix Bay, Virgin Islands; Aman Resorts on Phuket, Bali and Sri Lanka; Four Seasons on Hawaii, Punta Mita and Nevis; Seychelles at Constance Lumeria; Sandy Beach,Barbados and Lizard Island, Great Barrier Reef.
This place is Four Seasons at its attentive, high quality but understated best. It is not inexpensive but ironically turns out to be a good value in our minds. This may seem curious but when you consider just the travel efficiency from LAX (sleeping eight hours going and coming) you lose no time on your vacation as you are on the beach by 10am upon arrival and leave the beach at 4pm the day of departure. This is a real plus. A fantastic breakfast buffet is included with your room. Beach toys are complimentary. Pool snack bar has well priced comfy food. The sanctuary lagoon on property is pure entertainment as it is full of colorful fish and growing coral. We went almost every day for our "aquarium swim". The on-site marine biologist Oliver is a gem to swim with and learn from. Don't miss him and his Adopt-a-Coral program. Our three grandchildren now proudly have certificates for their adopted coral.
There are three well thought out restaurant choices for good variety at dinner: Buffet if you wish; Sunset Bar for excellent sushi; and Ari Moana for more refined cuisine. Room service in your spacious bungalow is another excellent choice and a real treat.
Usually we find that a beach resort falls short in at least one category...beach and water not inviting, rooms too small, restaurants mediocre, service with an attitude, etc...but this resort hits every note perfectly. This is another reason we feel there is a good value here because you don't have any anxiety about shortcomings you may anticipate. Your dollars are well spent for both physical and psychic comfort.
I rarely leave a place and immediately say I want to go back soon because there are too many places in the world I haven't been and want to get to before returning some where I've already been. In this case, I am already thinking about how and when I can get back to Four Seasons Bora Bora sooner rather than later. Enough said!

Room Tip: All bungalows are over water and equally spacious and appointed so there are no bad bungalows. The o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
23 Thank lewiswoodrow
Hello and thank you for sharing your outstanding review! We’re very happy to hear that your time with us was at a “Six Star” level -WOW! It’s fantastic to hear that you enjoyed the “whole package” in particular your over-water bungalow, the food (our Chef will love to hear this), the lagoon sanctuary, and of course our friendly staff. We’re thrilled you and your wife enjoyed your stay and found your perfect beach getaway. Thank you again and from all of us at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora we look forward to welcoming you back again one day soon.