“Living the DREAM!”

Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The dream has become a reality. The Four Seasons Bora Bora made it happen! An absolute exquisite island location, and accommodations that are beyond compare. Great service starts at the airport, and continues on the short boat ride (:20 min or so) with cool towels, and cold Tahitian water.

We were greeted upon arrival by the lovely Ami at the front desk. Ami explained all of the amenities offered by the FS, and mentioned that the entire staff of the FS would make my milestone birthday celebration extra special. I had no doubt. Our bungalow faced the small motus and the beach. We absolutely loved this view, because of the natural beauty and the occasional guest rowing or floating by.

Our huge bungalow (114) is one of the nicest resort rooms we have ever stayed in. Extremely comfortable, sparkling clean, and well equipped. We enjoyed the sundeck and easy access to the crystal clear lagoon. The water depth was about 4 feet which was great. Colorful local fish and rays kept us company during our morning swims. The housekeeping & room service teams are fantastic!

Our dream spot was the first palapa on the beach. The view is true serenity. Beach and pool service is quick, polite and with a smile. Hawaier & Mika took great care of us. Grab the wings, and pizza made to order to nosh on while relaxing.

We took the jet ski and lunch tour to Matira beach. Fantastic! Lunch was served at Restaurant Matira Beach where we met Morgiane the owner. She's wonderful and the food & service was great. Make a visit during the evening for the Sushi! We also long boarded, kayaked, and snorkled in the protected fish filled lagoon, awesome! We also visited the spa and gym, both five star.

The resorts restaurants are all very special, from different buffet dinners at Tere Nui, to the wonderful sushi at the Sunset Bar. All of the dining choices were fresh and prepared to perfection. A special Thank you to our friend Hiti. His wonderful smile and spirit blessed us on many an evening meal.

The Pièce de résistance was my birthday dinner and fire show celebrated on the FS small private island, an eye shot from the beach. We were transported to the torch lit island via outrigger by King Mika to watch the sunset. We can't say enough about how Mika made my birthday dinner a once in a lifetime experience. Mika was dressed as Tahitian King, but made me feel like the KING! We sipped Tattinger champagne, and accompanied our grilled steak and lobster with a great Iconoclast Cabernet. All of the food was delicious, and brought to us by Mika via the outrigger which was very cool. We were so full by the end, we asked to have my birthday cake sent our room. I must note this was my third birthday cake of the week. The FS staff just kept on surprising me with these delicious gifts! Before we departed the island, Mika performed a fire show. This was totally unexpected, and just FANTASTIC!! Mika is very, very skilled and put on one hell of a one man show. MIKA, again MAURUURU my friend.

The FS Bora Bora is a must do experience. It has everything you could ever desire, great location, fantastic bungalows & a wonderful and attentive staff. A final special thank you to Ms. Akiko Hidaka. Her service, and attention to detail exemplifies the true spirit of the Four Seasons brand. We hope to see you and the entire team again very soon.

MAURUURU EVERYONE!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Vinceonthemove
GuestExperienceBora, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Hello Vince - thank you so much for the lovely review, and all your wonderful feedback about your recent birthday vacation with us! We're so happy everything was beyond your expectations, and that you were able to experience so much during your stay with us (you really kept busy!) We'll pass along your hellos to the team, and most definitely look forward to welcoming you back to paradise again one day - until then, Happy Holidays!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We came to Bora Bora to celebrate some birthdays and my parents' anniversary. This was a magical vacation. The staff at the hotel were so sweet and helpful, and were truly interested in making your stay the best possible. The rooms were phenomenal. It was so much fun to simply jump off our deck to swim in the ocean, or even snorkel with the equipment given to us. All of the activities at the hotel were a blast. We had so much fun paddle boarding and kayaking as a family. In addition we went jet-skiing. The highlight of the trip was the shark and sting ray excursion. It was AMAZING! Definitely do this.

The one downfall was the food. The food is not good, and becomes quite monotonous. That being said, you don't come to Bora Bora for the food.

Side note: We went into town for the day - do not do this. It is quite small and there is not much to see or do unless you are doing a jeep tour. We got stuck there because the boat did not return for several hours. You are much better off staying at the resort or doing an excursion.

The scenery in Bora Bora cannot be beat. This was an unforgettable family vacation - pure magic. A must for everyone!

Room Tip: We had a room that was technically not a mountain view room, but because we were at the end we had a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Lemaw

Hello there, and thank you for sharing your experience on here - we appreciate your time and the great review! It's wonderful to hear that you and your family enjoyed your celebration of birthdays and your parents' anniversary with us. We're very glad to know you particularly enjoyed Four Seasons service, your overwater bungalow, the activities (especially the shark and ray excursion.) We also appreciate your feedback on the food, and we actually have a new executive chef we're very excited about. We agree about the unbeatable scenery and magic of Bora Bora, and hope to welcome you back again one day - Happy Holidays!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

La Orana!
I am giving this review 5 stars because of the over water bungalow we had - If you want to experience the over water bungalow hut experience in Bora Bora and you have money to blow with very little complimentary/free anything then Bora Bora Four Seasons is the place. After a 10 day 10 night Honeymoon - my husband and I came to the conclusion that you are PAYING for the bungalow amenities (air condition) plunge pool - and a beautifully luxuriously designed indoor bungalow decor. Everything else is hit or miss!
I am going to give an indepth review on everything because research lacks because I wish I knew certain things before making the trek here.
Travel - We are from Baltimore - so we literally spent a whole day of travel to and from - I made the mistake of not weighing my bags so my advice pack as little as possible clothes wise!
We did Bmore to Dallas (4 hours) - Dallas to LAX (5 hour plus 2 hour layover) - LAX to Tahiti (8 hours plus 4 hour layover) - Tahiti to Papeete (45 minutes and the plane is bigger than I thought yay and we had 5 hour layover UGH PAIN) You arrive in Papeete Bora Bora - go to the Four Season Kiosk - wait for someone to get your luggage - wait for the Four Season to round up all the guests - boat comes - water and cold towel given and 30 minute boat ride to the resort (GORGEOUS BOAT RIDE) then you start to relax - then we arrived - I wanted to go in our room but it wouldn't be ready til 3 - We arrived at 12 - I am exhausted - I am hot - I don't want to rummage through my luggage to get clothes - I want some air coolness - I walk my way to the spa - felt like forever - I was annoyed because no one riding a golf cart(FSBB needs more golf carts and more drivers be prepared to WAIT at least 10 minutes ) offered to take us clearly seeing us in distress - I get to the spa - Have a mini break down because I thought I could get a spa service they were full - UGH - and they proceded to take us to a pavillion with two lounge chairs and fan outside - I took a nap - I feel check in could be a little more organized. The language barrier is definately an issue. I am surprised the staff etc are not trained in better English especially the amount of people from USA and London - I would suggest team building language class for the staff. It is very strange at first how the french staff do not really interact with the local staff - (but then I read the history) - Ami the front desk is the most strong in English and she is what makes the staff! So accomadating. We had a lot of french descent front desk lady (with stink face all the time) give us a tour and let's just say she was not a happy person or professional! She was not educated or familiar with that the airline makes us CHECK EVERYTHING - so when she demanded certain itinerairy etc the whole group we came with all told her the same thing - it is with our luggage didn't know we needed it - the group was all very disappointed with her treatment to us HELLO WE ARE PAYING YOU THOUSANDS ++++ EVERYDAY - WHERE IS THAT SMILE?!?!?!? She sat down with us to go over things then out of nowhere in coversation just got and left ummmm - we had to track down flag another person helping to help us finish the fill out forms- weird and didn't like - Our group we checked in with not just us were all looking at each other like WTH - We couldn't figure out if it was the culture of her rudeness or what. But we all were exhausted an wanted to be in our room. They said the spa is complimentary - which leads me back to the spa - but everyone who checked in that day was using it - it is not big enough to accomadate more than 5 people (to feel private and spacey) at once - so i just took a nap out on the pavillion - This was the same thing upon leaving - a lot of people - I counted 6 ladies getting ready in the small quarters of the locker room with one hair dryer one shower and one bathroom and one changing room - Four Seasons you can do better! They do not have a lot of staff working there. The towels ran out quick and it was overwhelming. Finally our room was ready and it is amazing! Gorgeous ! The bungalow is the only bang for your buck you get what you pay for here! We had 331 which was 1 out of the three creme de la creme bungalows on that side and in the 400s they have 3 creme de la creme rooms also. It is worth the extra money to get a pool - you don't have to leave and enjoy the privacy and natural beauty of the 360 degree views. And you dont have to walk 20 minutes to the pool and beach. So the bungalow was spotless - However, during our week we notice a dramatic change in the cleanliness service - The first 4 days Beatrice was our housekeeper! Loved Beatrice she cleaned so thourough and gave the personal touches - even picked up where we like to set things and I was so happy to have her - she spoke great english and did everything I asked her to do ! Then no more Beatrice! =( We did not have her - it rotatated and we were disappointed in the lack of thrououghness communication and we had to call back or tell for certain things over and over - UGH - We later found out at the end of the trip that the OWNERS of Four Seasons Bora Bora were there the first 4 days of our trip so that made perfect sense as to why we experience such a dramatic change in service. Also FSBB is also very cheap with the amount of toiletries they give you - I have been to places 5 star all over the world and they always restock you with more more more - We had ONE bar of soap for one sink and another ONE for the other sink - and ONE LEMON L'OCCTAINE for the shower! They never replaced them for the 10 full days we were there! EW. I had to ask for an extra shower gel to use as hand soap. Thank God , I brought my own luxury toiletries (la mer everything) because you don't get it here. At a 5 star resort you shouldn't have to ask or tell it should just be done no mistake! So you bring your clothes and you want them clean - we had 6 items we wanted cleaned (our travel clothes) the bill came to 200 bucks! I was confused because being in one of the top rooms - you would think we would have the staff doing our laundry! NOPE - I found out that there are complimentary washer and dryer but you share it with other guests AND it is a hike and in the hot sun NO not worth it back and forth - I want to lay out relax - This REALLY annoyed me because the three top rooms were all the way at the end and they need to accomadate better especially since they are the most expensive. Plus this is an island where we do not have suits or glamourous pieces - it is all cotton laid back attire - so confusing - so my husband and I washed our bathing suits in the sinks w/ bath gel we brought - that really helped but be careful laying your clothes out because it gets quite windy - I lost one of my favorite lilly pulitzer shirts(blew away) because FSBB decided to be ridiculous and unpractical with the laundry. Plus when we did pay for the laundry it took forever!
Food - I really need to spread the word about not having snacks! Or lack of! And if you do buy snacks or leftovers be prepared to cram it into your itty bitty refrigerator (which was def a more money tactic). For a pack of 3 doritos from room service is 20 bucks - it is 2 dollars cheaper in the little boutique and that basically is the snack choices. A annoying thing is the refrigerator lady comes TWICE a day to keep a record of what you drank or make sure they didn't miss a dollar - She comes odd times and if you do not have the do not disturb sign up - they make you wait but when it comes to getting your dollar they don't wait for you - we were outside enjoying the sun and the loud buzzer door bell ring not even 5 seconds later again ! And then they just barge in! They should know most people come as honeymoon destinatation or romantic so barging in is not the best idea - We learned quite quickly to put the do not disturb on 24 hours and call the front desk when we wanted cleaning turn down service or the tiny refridge to be restocked. So you pay 100 bucks for two for a buffet style breakfast in terre nui - and it was hit or miss - some days great others not so great - runny eggs - or dry so dry sticking to the pan eggs benedict - chewy bacon not crispy - or great creamy eggs - crispy bacon etc - you could tell what chef was there that day - nothing wowed us - just a good breakfast - lunch was better more choices - bout 100 bucks a day for two - i loved the buffalo mozzerella and tomatoe salad always fresh - and the proscuitto panini - and the bora bora vice drink (22 bucks) was my lunch every day and my husband got a burger or chicken fingers - dinner - average 200 for two a night - polynesian night was 400 - pasta night was 200 - dinner the resort has 3 restaurants - with very little menu options - i felt room service for dinner had the best selection - sunset bar has light sushi - amazing lavacake desert - terre nui okay - and ari moana didn't wow us (the decor was beautiful) also the staff in there were confused and fighting and made everyone wait a least 30 minutes for our food - bad bad bad -
NOTE - you can not just take a taxi and go to another restaurant as FSBB is its own island surrounded by water - cars are irrelevant - everything is by boat - so if you want to venture and spend your money elsewear on dinner be prepared that FSBB will charge you 50 bucks to and from A PERSON to take you there - and the boat doesn't just up and leave they have specific times - it leaves - not very romantic to have a set time go on a boat and another set time it leaves - feels like you are rushing - so we did one night out to Villa Mahaina (totally worth it) and experience an amazing food experience (600 bucks average for 2) - (you have to make a reservation months in advance or take a gamble) so you are stuck at the FSBB food choices. The food cuisine is asian/polynesia with a hint of french (lots of bread and cheese) and you can get tired of that.
Public Areas -
Pool - pretty - comfy lounge chairs but can get crowded(as majority do not have own pool) - we did the pool a few times just to get drinks by the pool - average drink alcohol 15 bucks - average regular 10 bucks - so if u are out by the pool all day getting your drink on and snack and food one would spend 100 bucks a day extra - the pool is behind the little beach which we did not do as it fillls up fast and lots of rocks - we did the beach one day - we swam to the little island to collect coral bring the water shoes that has a fee - you do not feel the sand at ur feet but rocks coral etc ouch!
Beach - small and crowded
Now for something very important to know - They have ONE BATHROOM (3 toilets total) for the restaurants the beach and the pool! So if you are the beach and have to use the rest room 5 minute walk - from the pool 3 minute walk - and I totally disliked being in a restaurant having to PAUSE and walk to the bathroom not in the facility WEIRD - ari moana is a 3 minute walk - terre nui closest. and sunset bar across. Total inconveince. ADD SOME MORE BATHROOMS!
Lagoon about a 5 minute walk from pool and beach - more quaint and private - that does have a bathroom so we fancied this place more - plus the fish are beautiful - more relaxing - however you can't order drinks or food there. I'm sure if u demanded they could with an extra fee. You can not take rafts in the lagoon not if u pay extra. The cheapest thing we did all week was pay 50 bucks for a loveboat raft all day outside our bungalow. We loved it - wear lots of sunscreen.
SPA- I so wanted to love the spa! I am in the spa industry! I know talent and I know service that comes with a spa - my second home in cayman island the ritz carlton has the la prairie spa so i know service and relaxtions - the grounds of the spa are in the kahaia forest and the design is gorgeous - but the talent and retail lack! It is mostly french women as the staff. I got a pedicure just a cut and polish (they didn't have time for a full) for 85 - and a facial (50 min) massage 80 min and reflexology 30 min i was not impressed the girls are sweet very broken english but talent really lacks - the package combined with everything came to 600 which is less than what a pay on the regualar at la prairie and cualdelie (plaza nyc) so that was nice but the talent was just ok - and NO OXYGEN FACIAL! come on! the retail sucked essie nail polish you can get at home - jane iradale ??? u can get at home and a brand i never heard of french they sold - very disappointed - again bring your toiletries cuz slim pickings - they also have local monoi oil that i did buy - (you can also get on amazon) - only went to spa once cuz it was blah - usually on a vacay i am at the spa three times getting the same thing - oh and you cant eat in the relaxation room only outdoor pavillion
didnt check out fitness center
Shark and Coral garden excursion - HIGHLIGHT OF OUR TRIP for 600 dollars you can get a private excursion with Ed who has his own cute little boat - highly reccomend doing PRIVATE with ED and not semi private - that way he is more focused with you - so much fun the sharks are right there with you and they are gorgeous the sting rays are huge but so cute and friendly and the coral garden is beyond words! DO IT! Beer and Water provided and Ed is not with FS - he was awesome! YAY ED Also he gave you a tour of the island so I feel that we killed two birds with one stone
- scuba diving - my husband did the introductiory course (100 bucks) and loved it!
we have jet skis at home and in caymans so we didn't feel the need to jetski there
The island - the main island has a lot of poverty - and shacks - I thought it would be more developed but no - be careful venturing out there - not pretty at all - and not what i expected. the only luxury is the resorts that are their own property. on the main island you are on your own. its very SKETCH!
MEDICAL- NADA - u are screwed if something happens to you healthwise - bring antibiotics and everything back home bring your own pharmacy - you will feel like a nut but you will be so glad you did - the boutique only sells very little toiletries and no over the counter meds - I am surprised not more travelers talked about this - good luck waiting for a boat and the drive to the main island to see a dr in the poverish surroundings
Overall - we are glad we did this trip as our honeymoon do we want to go back NO - maybe - if we want to experience the over water bungalow with 5 star amenities yes we will - but staff serivice food etc did not wow us. We are glad to say we did Bora Bora and traveled as far as we did to say we were there - we are glad to have spent time at Villa Mahaina. If you are from LA area and are looking for an awesome place - Go to Seven Mile Beach - its the glam and the luxury and the seclusion - has the best hospital in the carribean and possibly world - zero poverty and you basicaly see ferraris bentleys audis beamers and benzes and porsches drive by - and the food is amazing - If you any questions please feel free to contact me - or for pics I hope this review helps -
Also - boutique is expensive and very small
the black pearl lounge is the place to buy pearls - fyi you have to go through customs for the pearls also be prepared on your way back to travel the shops at airport closes at 5 and you are doing a lot of waiting to have things open up - you will appreciate USA - it was great to be back home
AND - fly business class air tahiti was another highlight!

Room Tip: the top 3 in the 400 side or 300 side - spend extra for a pool
15  Thank Lainy0957

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience here, and with such great and constructive detail. Our resort manager Christophe Chabaud has reached out to you directly via e-mail to further the conversation - we hope you're able to connect and share more here - it's really wonderful to have such feedback. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Bora Bora has been on our bucket list & we finally did it for our 10 yr anniversary. It was everything we dreamed it would be!

I have been to and seen some beautiful places, but the Four Seasons Bora Bora has been the best vacation we have ever done! The customer service is the best we have ever experienced anywhere!!!

The overwater bungalows are private & so romantic. The staff at the water activities were so friendly. They have paddle boards & kayaks to use to explore the lagoon. We also really loved the jet ski tour around the island.

The food was also very good. We are from Hawaii so we are pretty spoiled with some great chefs back home, but the food did not disappoint. And again the staff just so friendly & kind no matter where we ate at the resort. Love the Tahitian people! What an overall awesome experience!!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michellekishiye

Ia Ora na Michelle! Thank you for the great review - we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here. We're thrilled you had such a great visit, celebrating your 10-year anniversary (what a special occasion!) We're particularly happy to hear how much you enjoyed Four Seasons service, your overwater bungalow, the water activities and the food. We certainly hope to welcome you back for another special occasion one day - Happy Holidays!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just got back from our long overdue honeymoon and absolutely loved it!! Staff is incredible, every meal is a culinary experience! Our overwater bungalow was huge and impeccable. You MUST do the shark and sting ray excursion it is worth 3 times the price they are charging. The jet ski excursion was fun but too expensive for what you get in my opinion. Estelle at the sunset bar and Pierre and Ernest at the pool bar were so friendly and fun!! Dying to go back already!

Room Tip: bungalows at the end of the pier are the best because it is deep enough to jump off of!!
3  Thank SDPurser
GuestExperienceBora, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Hello happy honeymooners! We're just thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your visit with us, particularly Four Seasons service, the food, your overwater bungalow and the water excursions! We'll pass your hello's to Estelle, Pierre and Ernest, as well. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience here, and we can't wait to welcome you back to paradise!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had a great time at the Four Seasons Bora Bora! The over the water bungalows are awesome, the service impeccable and the water is more beautiful than the pictures show. Great lagoon with snorkeling Inside the resort grounds. Definitely recommend the snorkel trip to dive with the rays and sharks!

1  Thank Bill T
GuestExperienceBora, Guest Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hi Bill - thanks for the great review! We're very happy to hear you had such a nice visit with us, and that you particularly enjoyed the overwater bungalows, Four Seasons service and the amazing snorkeling at the Resort! And agree about the shark and ray tour - just magical. Thanks again, and we hope to welcome you back again one day soon.

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

This had been my dream to stay at the beautiful Four Seasons in a overwater bungalow. I knew this would for honeymooners, but was not going to wait for a marriage to go. So my sister and I went. Let's just say you have to explain over and over, we are sisters. Anyway, short of that. It was amazing. We had a view of the Mountain. The room was amazing and the service was great. We had daily turn down service every night. The restaurant on the resort can be expensive. If you want to save some money, take the evening boat ride to mainland. Four Seasons arranges everything, from Taxi pickup, restaurant reservations and taxi pickup from restaurant to boat. Food is not something we were impressed with , being a foodie, I have had better. Fresh fruit is what we enjoyed. Breakfast buffet is worth the money hands down, huge variety.
We did not have time to use spa, the fitness center was good. Did use the spa shower when we arrived as our room wasn't ready.
Water activities were good. We were able to try paddle boarding. My sister really took advantage of kayaking and getting out. I enjoyed just being in the room with the ability to just jump in the water from our personal deck. The only thing missing was the usual hotel room book explaining the resort. The was the typical spa menu and room service, but nothing explains the amenities. I am just assuming they want you to use the concierge for everything.
A most do excursion is the Ray and Shark snorkel. The guys Steveen, Opa and Manu are a fun group and don't pass on barbecue lunch, it's on a beautiful island.
I could go on and on. But this is a most do, even for a few days.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MaryQ1972

Hello Mary - thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're so happy to learn how much you enjoyed your time here at the Resort! We're delighted to know you most enjoyed your overwater bungalow, Four Seasons service, breakfast buffet and water activities. Also, thanks for your feedback on the food - our new chef is busy creating some amazing experiences. And we've also just introduced the in-room activity guide. While there is a huge romance focus here, we certainly have guests who stay as friends and family as well - we hope you and your sister will return one day - even if separately ;) Thanks again!