“As close to Paradise as you should evet get!”

Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
London, United Kingdom
“As close to Paradise as you should evet get!”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We booked Bora Bora for our honeymoon and the Four Seasons was the obvious choice, although from London its quite a jaunt.

We left Sunday lunch time after our wedding and arrived Tuesday afternoon. You can do it quicker but we weren't in a rush and were fairly chilled by the time we arrived thanks to Virgin Upper Class.

On arrival you take the Four Seasons fabulous launch from the airport which is a perfect start. The other hotels do this too but not in quite the same fashion...

We had a bungalow which looked out towrads the mountain (free upgrade thanks 4S) which was beyond good. I can't comment on the other hotels but this room is 6*. Its more like a super yacht. It's a hardwood open plan house which just works so well. You can sit on the fabulous bed with the doors wide open and stare out to the lagoon. I will say no more for fear of spoiling the surprise!

The hotel is excellent, nothing is too much. The food is very good although we stayed for 5 days and it started to get a little same old. We made it out of the hotel twice for dinner which was entertaining and an enjoyable change. Bloody Marys and the Kania Hut were both excellent.

Diving was fabulous as was the catamaran experience with the French dude.

All in all a really special experience. DO IT!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank neilh044

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Helena, Montana
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Cruising on the Paul Gauguin with a stop over in Bora Bora, what else to do but get off to spend the night at the Four Seasons. After inquiring multiple times about how and when to get there, I was disappointed that they emailed me to say they could pick us up 3 hours earlier that I had arranged for, but , not having access to email (it was my 20th anniversary), I didn't see the message until I returned to the US. (THERE IS A FREE SHUTTLE FROM THE RESORT TO VAITAPE, BUT THE SCHEDULE IS NOT PUBLISHED--ASK)!

Despite losing 3 precious hours there, the resort is all that it is advertised to be. The bungalows are beautiful, the service impeccable and the food absolutely fabulous. The only downside, after having snorkelled in some of the clearest water and coral filled reefs in the world , their "lagoon" was like swimming in a huge fish tank, but it was still fun, nonetheless.

For the most romantic resort ever, I highly recommend it!

2 Thank MHL888
Medford Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2011

I know this review is late but my wife and I had a glorious time at the four seasons in Bora Bora. It was expensive but honeymoons are important. Definitely splurge on the couples private cabana massage and do the luau if they have it! The guys at the paddle board hut were great and so were the ladies at the spa. We still talk about the soap and shampoo! The trip to the mainland of Bora Bora was very fun. Breakfast was awesome and so were the cabanas near the pool!

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank Keith P
Melbourne
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We have just returned from the best holiday imaginable at the Four Seasons.

We had our two young children and my parents with us and were very impressed by the property, the staff and the incredible attention to detail. From the arrival trip in the private launch to the staff waving us goodbye there was nothing but sincere smiles and attentiveness the whole 9 days. The overwater villas are spacious and beautifully designed and even having the cheaper beach view rooms gave us gorgeous views of the lagoon, mountains and beautiful sunsets. They had thought to provide so many things in the room to make the stay more comfortable like towels for the deck chairs, beach bags (you don't need to bring your own), plug adaptors and flip flops were a few of the extra touches we found thoughtful. Our children were sleeping on the sofa bed which was folded away each day and prepared each evening ready for them to sleep after dinner, which meant we still had a living room to use during the day. The beds were very comfortable. The only thing we found strange was the minibar arrangement were you have to prepurchase items in lots of 6. We couldn't finish 6 boxes of peanuts if we tried!

My husband organised the beautiful Polynesian breakfast and sunset dinner on the beach for my birthday which were both stunningly arranged. The breakfast is very big so I would recommend sharing one. In fact we found all the serves big and shared most of the meals at lunch by the pool. Some of the menus at dinner feel a little limited but the food is beautifully cooked and not enough of an issue to give it a bad rap over. All lunch meals came with side choices of pommes frittes, salad (nice french dressing), stir fried vegetables or root chips. At the buffet breakfast we were served by the delightful Haifana who by the second day knew exactly which juice we each liked and how we each took our tea and coffee! The flowers in her hair still make me smile.

The children were personally greated by the activites manager and given gifts upon arrival and had so many choices of activites and staff at their beck and call including a full time marine biologist Oliver who took us snorkelling around the inner lagoon and showed my son the best hiding places for octopus, hermit crabs and puffer fish. The marine life is still on the young side after the hotel's construction but will gradually build up in numbers. That said we saw heaps of beautiful tropical fish and the local spotted sting rays.The kids club staff were lovely and my daughter enjoyed her occassional visits and meeting other girls her age.
Our days were spent lounging by the pool, kayaking (all day activites staff too), jumping off the overwater villa's deck into the lagoon and enjoying lots of fresh food and great drinks. The current in the lagoon can get strong but our overwater villa was in chest deep water and our children had no problems. Our 8 year old snorkelled from the villa to the beach a couple of times. The villas at the end of each boardwalk would be in very deep water and you would need to be very carefull.
The Polynesian dinners on Mondays are entertaining and a nice chance to meet other guests.
My mother and I enjoyed the spa which was nicely situated with the sound of the ocean nearby and gracious professional staff.
The only thing we would do next time is a visit to the sea turtles and manta rays at other parts of the lagoon.
The property is quite large and there are many different places to enjoy. No need to worry about noise whether you're a honeymooning couple looking for a quiet spot or a family wanting to have fun.

After staying at many 5 star and boutique hotels around the world this has set the new benchmark for us, even beating the incredible Asian resort service standards.
I could keep writing forever but the bottom line is that this holiday was worth every dollar spent and we recommend it highly to anyone.

I will seeking out Four Seasons hotels from now on!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank worldtapestry
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I took my wife and 4 kids to the Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora for our 20-year wedding anniversary.

An UNFORGETTABLE experience!

We had very high expectations going in. Friends had given the resort glowing reviews.
It was simply the best vacation we have ever taken.

To begin, I can't think of a more beautiful location than Bora Bora. Amazing views, wonderful people and the most spectacular water you have ever seen in your life.
So clear, blue-green and unspoiled. White sand that goes on and on...

From the moment we landed on the island, we knew that the trip was going to be special.
The kids were thrilled to see a big crab running past our luggage on the tarmac!
The attractive Four Seasons staff was there to greet us with a big smile and a beautiful old-fashioned wood boat.

The great thing about the resort is that it does not have a "big hotel" feel. It is a collection of small buildings that are spread out on the sprawling property. The floors and walkways are limestone and the attention to detail on all of the decor is a really nice touch.
(We went to dinner at the St. Regis next door, and the feeling was completely different. Very "big hotel" feeling, with a lot of fake looking decorations to cover up the polished marble that looked like it was brought in from any hotel in the US.)

We booked a 2 bedroom Villa on the beach.
Wow!
It was like visiting a multi-million dollar private home.
Everything was perfect.
Each morning, a delicious fruit platter was delivered (and devoured by the kids).
Every afternoon, a different treat was delivered around 4 or 5 o'clock.
Sometimes it was a collection of sweets. Other days it was homemade chips with different dips or guacamole.
Each day we looked forward to seeing what would arrive. It was always fantastic!

The pool and beach areas are all beautiful. I can't say enough about how spectacular the water is.
There is also a private lagoon at the resort with a French marine biologist named Oliver that taught the kids a lot about the fish in Bora Bora.
We swam with Oliver around the lagoon as he fed all of the different species, including puffer fish, parrot fish, a small octopus and even a moray eel. The thing was 9 feet long!

Definitely book the Waverunner tour around the main island.
It's the best way to view the breathtaking location, as well as all of the resorts, and reaffirms the fact that you made the right choice in staying at the Four Seasons.

I also highly recommend the Ray and Shark snorkel swim.
We went with a guide named Big Sky and he was so much fun. Very laid back and obviously loves what he does.
We swam with gigantic rays, thousands of colorful fish, and the shark swim was something we will never forget. There were dozens of black tip reef sharks swimming all around us. Minutes later, 6 foot lemon sharks swam along the bottom of the ocean, 35 feet below us.

I only have two negatives to relay:

1.) The dinner choices are not great.
The food is obviously high quality, but for those prices I expect more.
Very expensive and nothing that you looked forward to ordering again.
(For the record, the breakfast is wonderful and the restaurant staff could not be nicer or more attentive.)

2.) I was charged $150 for wi-fi internet service, which is available across the entire property. For the price that I paid for my Villa, this should have been included.
A ridiculous charge, but we had so much fun, and such a nice stay, that I didn't want to haggle over it at check-out.

As I said, it was the best vacation we have ever taken as a family and I can't say enough good things about the Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora.
Excellent location.
Wonderful staff and service.
Perfect trip.

Room Tip: You can't miss...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank ToastyJ
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and i went for our anniversary and had a wonderful trip! We travel quite often and this is the most beautiful place we had been to by far. This place far exceeded our expectations. The resort is stunning and the staff was wonderful! I would advise bringing a carry on with your toiletries and a change of clothes in case the airline loses your luggage like they did ours. We did not receive our luggage until the second day. The swimsuit in the gift shop i had to buy was $250 and i will never wear it again. The deoderant was $35. I would also advise buying a bottle of alcohol in the duty free shop at the airport or bringing in your checked luggage to keep in your room as drinks and food are very expensive. If you have the opportunity to travel here, GO! Just be aware that it is pricey but worth every penny. And the spa is a must! Shark and sting ray feeding is a must!

5 Thank HalleyB88
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed June 18, 2011

What I can say this is the first Four Seasons resort I do not rate with 5 stars.

And there is one main reason - Bad Food or let’s say it BAD for Four Seasons standards.

Having visited some of other Four Seasons flagship properties such as Four Seasons Seychelles (last October 2010) and also the new Four Seasons Maldives at Landaa Giravaru– I would say that we expected much more.

Let’s start with the good part.
This is for sure Four Seasons, the villas are great, the bed, the room service, the boat transfers, the honeymoon welcome package. Everything is perfect as expected. We had sunset lagoon view villa which was great. The Spa facilities were amazing, the complimentary steam rooms, and quiet Jacuzzi, great. The resort have everything you need. The Gym was a little bit disappointment, small – not so many weight lifting machines (especially compared to other Four Seasons).

The highlight of our stay was the diving with Bathys diving – great shark encounters many lemon sharks (at Tapu dive site), many grey reef sharks (Muri Muri dive site), black-tip reef sharks, schools of eagle rays, and of course the lovely and majestic Manta Rays. The Manta Ray dive site (Anau) is just so close to the hotel and the Manta’s are YEAR ROUND THERE. I dive close and personal with 4-5 manta’s every dive there.

Bathys diving is great dive operator and very highly recommended.

Now the bad news.

The Food in FS is average at best, no vegetables at all at breakfast which made my wife really disappointed as she eats vegetables a lot. The fish was very limited and not very tasty (only some mahi-mahi and some tuna and were not prepared well) Paying 300 USD for 2 without wine is what you can expect, but not the tasteless food. There was very limited room service menu, and honestly having your own overwater villa, what is best than having private meal on you veranda… We end-up eating only tuna (Nicoise style) because almost all other items were not good.

We come to Polynesia to eat fresh sea food and not burgers and pizzas ! Honestly for one week we had only one time great food at Ari Moana restaurant, where they serve some special lobster (special of the day outside of the menu). Some other European friends we met (Italians) also did not liked the food. And not that we are pretentious, we had absolutely GREAT FOOD in Four Seasons Maldives and Four Seasons Seychelles, both hotels highly recommended.

Don’t get me wrong it is beautiful place, but after you’ve been to Maldives (I’ve been 7 times) and you cannot compare it.

One of the legends for the paradise of Bora Bora should be told: Yes the fact is Bora Bora have NO beach, the most of the beaches incl. FS Bora Bora the beach ARE ARTIFICIAL. That’s how the overwater bungalows in French Polynesia were invented many years ago in the first place. There were simply no beach.

The other legend which must be exposed is : Yes there is crystal clear turquoise water which looks exactly like the brochures had promised, BUT YOU CANNOT SWIM in the lagoon, because of the so strong current and surge that you really going to end-up in the neighboring atoll.

I personally had to jump in the water with part of my diving equipment incl. my fins to save the nearby neighbors crying for help, which were in trouble (falling off from their kayaks) and after saving them it was good that my wife called the reception and help arrived with motorized jet . And please note we were there during the calmer “summer months” – May- July, which we were told are the calmest months. Please note that there are NO WAVES and still the swell was so strong.

Really, I’m a very good swimmer and very experienced scuba diver, and believe me you CAN NOT SWIM IN THE LAGOON WITHOUT VERY BIG RISK. Everywhere in the resort and on the villa have warnings of the strong currents and swells (good job by FS)

The Four Seasons in on a motu (island) and is only accessible by boat. The transfers from the Airport is a real rip-off (the same like the food prices)– it is a 15 minute boat ride for 200+ Euro…. The resort runs a shuttles to the main island twice a day, but is quite insistent that your visit there be limited to something like 3 hours. That this a little disappointing as an alternative you have to pay this crazy +200 Euro for the separate trip.

The last disappointment was on our departure date.
At that time the resort was only 50% full, and we had to check-out at 5pm. OK we did not get late check-out for free despite being on our honeymoon, something Four Season Seychelles done for free 7 months ago for us. Also when we paid 300 Euro for these few hours, we were surprised that the room was not serviced at all. In Four Seasons Seychelles we get free late check-out and the room was serviced properly in the morning.

All in all, maybe Bora Bora is nice for people living in California and the flight from LA is relatively short, but for us to fly from Europe there is so much trouble, that is not worth it.
Especially when we are so lucky with the Maldives – the best islands in the world. In the Maldives there is 10 times more fish, the food is better, the Maldives HAVE REAL BEACH, the diving is better, the prices are lower (still in USD), and the Maldivian people are some of the most friendly in the world (in line with Thai and Philipino people) and is so close to us in Europe. Also the beach and the nature of Seychelles is so much nicer than Bora Bora.

We will not be back in Bora Bora, it is not worth it ! I think we will come back to French Polynesia and we will visit Rangiroa (great new hotel Kia Ora will be open soon) and Fakarava which boast some of the best diving in the world, but not back to Bora Bora.

Room Tip: west ponton wings with sunset views
14 Thank ivo_k