“Everything You Expected and More!”

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Orangevale, California
“Everything You Expected and More!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

St Regis Bora Bora
The flight on Air Tahiti was comfortable and the short 50 minute flight was very scenic. I could not believe I was finally going to Bora Bora.
Collecting our bags and going to the resort shuttle boats was quick and easy. The lagoons, the overwater bungalows, the motus, Mt Otemanu! It was all like I imagined. We arrived at the St Regis dock, we unloaded our luggage, received a lei greeting, cold towels and fresh fruit drinks then it was off in golf carts to our overwater villa with our personal butler. This was a first for me and I was feeling intimidated by the luxury, but it was very impressive, not snobbish, like I thought it would be. There was an iced bottle of champagne and snacks in the room. Our butler explained all the technical things, the tv, music, a/c and that if we needed anything to dial 9. Of all the resorts I have stayed in-this is the best. If you travel much, you know that we are spoiled with our air conditioning and many resorts air conditioning is mediocre. Well not at St Regis! It actually got TOO cold at night but we did not want to get up to change the setting. We sure appreciated it when we walked into a cool room after being out and about. Bicycles are available for guests to use or you just dial 9 for a butler to pick you up to go to the restaurant. This is a perfect place for honeymooners or that special occasion vacation.

After we took some photos of the room and the deck we went for a swim. The water was a perfect temperature, what an experience.,words cannot describe the feeling of being in Bora Bora!
There is a Robert Wan Pearl store near the lobby, with curtains of black pearls! Across from that is a small boutique with toiletries and souvenirs. St Regis logo baseball caps were $75USD! Disposable underwater cameras were reasonably priced at $20USD. There is a wedding shop on site with dresses for sale or you can rent traditional Tahitian wedding attire.
We had dinner at the TePahu beachfront restaurant. The setting is very romantic.
The food and drinks were great. The breakfast buffet is served here also and they had it all.
Meats, cheeses, breads, eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, rice, miso, fruits, yogurt, juices.

The beach and the pool areas were immaculate. There are hammocks on the beach and I saw one that was actually suspended overwater. The Miri Miri spa faces Mt Otemanu and the lagoonarium. There are 5 treatment rooms as well as saunas, steamrooms and whirlpools. You may already know that this is featured in a Couples Retreat scene.

I loved this resort and will recommend it to all honeymooners-even those who don’t think they would fit in with butlers.

Room Tip: There is not a "bad room" in the whole resort. It's Bora Bora!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank MelloVacations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Here are some tips & notes from a one-week trip my wife and I took for our honeymoon in November 2013:

- I booked the St. Regis with the help of Jennifer @ Pacific For Less. It was a no-brainer decision and I would work with them 100 times out of 100. They knowledge was fantastic and they provided all sorts of perks but most importantly - they legitimately wanted to help me pick the best hotel. After looking over many of the hotels on the island, I determined that St. Regis was the best fit.

- The St. Regis food was amazing - the all inclusive breakfast helped me put on a few pounds and was an amazing way to start each day. The restaurants on premises are fantastic. We left the island twice to eat on the mainland - no regrets at all but my recommendation is to stay on the island as much as possible. If I had to do it over again, I would be perfectly content if all my dinner meals were at the various St. Regis restaurants (we ate at Lagoon twice and loved it both times - probably my favorite).

- More on food: We were wary of food costs and tried not to splurge on lunch. If you dine near the poolside restaurant, the most economical option on the lunch menu is the pizza. It would pretty much serve 2 for the price of 1. When it came to snacks, I originally thought it would be best to stock up on food off the mainland and bring it onto the island. Tip: Do NOT do it. It's a time hassle to get there and really won't save you that much money. St. Regis has a little grocery market - yes it's slightly overpriced but trust me, what you save in time is much greater than what you'll save in money.

- Here is one of the key reasons I am glad we stayed at St. Regis: If you want to get onto the mainland (which we did three times - twice for dinners and once for an ATV tour), the St. Regis has boat shuttles that leave several times a day. Don't underestimate the importance of this! If you want to get off the island, make sure you ask around and look into this. I am under the impression that many hotels do not offer this service.

- You go to Bora Bora to splurge and have a great time but let's be honest - most of us regular people are budget conscious. I helped justify the expense of staying at such an amazing hotel by offsetting other costs. For example, I'm a big drinker but we brought our own liquor onto the island (again, these are tips where Pacific For Less were great in giving us a heads up). As a means against overspending, I would just make drinks at my cabin and take them around the island with me - the St. Regis staff was great! They really didn't mind. It saved a ton of money (hundreds of dollars) and it actually made me more prone to want to order nicer meals at lunch and dinner.

Facility:
- Everything about the St. Regis is phenomenal. I took advantage of the workout facility on a regular basis - if you're a workout person, it was good enough.
- I would say try and take advantage of the complimentary bikes since everything is so far spread out; however, they can be tough to find unless you pick one up in the morning and hoard it for an entire day.
- They have an awesome pool in the middle of the premises with 5 separate / semi-private decks where you and your significant other can relax and dip into the pool - we took advantage of this on a daily basis but it wasn't hugely popular. Look out for it!
- We also enjoyed spending lots of quiet time on our private villa. We were fortunate enough to book an deluxe overwater villa facing Mt. Otemanu and it was fantastic.
- Finally, I would strongly suggest you look into taking a snorkeling tour. Ours came with the hotel package but it might have very well been the highlight of our Bora Bora trip (and as an added bonus, we were picked up AND dropped you off from St. Regis) - just a fantastic half day excursion.

Bottom Line: If you read the reviews or just look at pictures, you'll know what a great place this is to stay. Hopefully the above info will give you some tips if you choose to come to Bora Bora and stay at the St. Regis. If I came back again, I would stay at the same resort - it was really that great. Happy travels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Ari W
Sunnyside, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

My husband and I just came back from our belated honeymoon to Bora Bora, and it was AMAZING!!!! Every moment was just pure heaven, and we had the most fun, relaxing, joyful, romantic and adventurous experience ever. We rarely ever take long trips with our busy work schedules, so we wanted to go ALL OUT for our honeymoon.

First of all, we booked with CustomTahiti, whom I highly recommend. Jackie helped us with every aspect of the trip and made everything seamless and easy. My husband and I usually like to research and book things ourselves - but trust me, if you are looking to enjoy your honeymoon, it really lowers the stress to have a travel agent handle everything. For example, the airline had to change a flight time, and Jackie presented us with options and a new itinerary within hours. We were able to save quite a bit of money through them, and booking with them also gave us a lot of bonuses, such as VIP tables (we literally had the best table with the best view everywhere we went), a couple's massage, flower turn down service, champagne, etc. etc. We're pretty bare bones people, so this all sounded like unnecessary extravagance before the trip - but once we got there, all these amazing perks just took the honeymoon to a whole other level!

Since we wanted total luxury on our honeymoon, our choices came down to the St. Regis and Four Seasons, and I spent hours combing through TripAdvisor reviews for differences (thank you, TripAdvisor!!). At the end of the day, we went with St. Regis because 1) no kids and 2) the rooms are much bigger (which our travel agent, Jackie, was able to confirm - having stayed at nearly every resort in Bora Bora). The size of the superior overwater villa is no joke. We live in New York City, and it was larger than the two floors of our duplex apartment combined. The bathroom is the ultimate in luxury and built for romance ;) We had room 207 facing the lagoon, and we loved looking out across the water to see the other huts and the main island. St. Regis has a direct view of Mt. Otemanu that is breathtaking at all angles. You can see tropical fish swimming around your hut, and on a few occasions (around 3 or 4 in the afternoon) we saw a school of sting ray pass under our hut!! One day we were at the hotel beach and we able to kayak and following a big school of rays around as well - so cool :D

Also, the staff is amazing - impeccable service. Although everyone is obviously trained to greet you and make sure your needs are taken care of, we felt that most of the workers were really genuinely happy to be there and wanted to do a great job. Our butler, Svetlana, was a really nice presence as well. Although we did not use her as much as we could have, she did help out with some details and reservations that definitely made the stay a bit easier.

As far as the weather, we did our trip the second week of December, so Bora Bora was well into its "wet season", but we only experienced a handful of rain showers, ranging from ten seconds long to a couple hours (in the very early morning). Other than that, the sun was always shining and the temperature was about 80 or 85 degrees. In general, the entire island and the St. Regis property itself is like a 3D screensaver - gorgeous views everywhere you turn!

Our time in Bora Bora lasted seven days, and to us this was the perfect amount of time - not so short that we wanted more and not so long that we got bored. Here are some of the things we did while there:

-Hang out and eat or drink at the swim up bar at the main pool.
-Lounge around in our own cabana at the Oasis Pool.
-Go to the hotel beach. They have paddle boats, kayaks, long boards, etc. for your use. They also have a hammock IN the water at the far end of the beach - talk about paradise!
-Dinner at Villa Mahana (so amazing!!)
-Dinner at Lagoon (so good!!)
-Dinner at Te Pahu (everything was good except the entrees)
-Dinner at Sushi Taki (pretty good)
-4X4 Tour (great way to see the island)
-Lagoon Tour (swimming with stingrays on a sandbar, tropical fish at the coral garden and sharks in a volcanic crater)
-Jet Ski Tour (amazingly fun!)
-Room service dinner on our private hut deck (the best way to take advantage of your beautiful deck)

Helpful Tips:
The breakfast buffet was delicious, so fill up! - We loved mixing their homemade jellies into the also homemade yogurt.
Lunch - Most of the time the breakfast was enough for us to go all day, but a few times for lunch we split a fish burger at the swim up bar, which was DELICIOUS. And this being the St. Regis, they don't just chop it in half, so we each got our own mini-fish burger for the (still kind of expensive) price of one.
Bring your own HDMI cables to watch movies in your room.
Don't bring a raft to tie up to your hut - This is a tip I saw on other reviews that I was SO excited about. We bought a blow up raft and pump with us (taking up precious suitcase real estate), and the water and wind just kept blowing the raft underneath the dock of our hut, which was not enjoyable.
Bring your own duty free alcohol, cigars and some light snacks.
Make sure they know your Starwood member # ahead of time (although at my husband's level all we got was free in-room coffee one morning).
Ladies, whatever amount of make up you think you need, bring half of it.
Clothing is very casual - wear cotton and breathable stuff as much as you can.
Get the coconut cocktail available at the bar - it won't get you drunk, but you'll feel like you're in a travel commercial!
Ride the bikes around - yay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank somersaultwithme
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here for my honeymoon ,it is heaven on earth the rooms were amazing ,services was great,food was delicious,i would recommend anyone that is thinking of going to bora bora too stay here!!! Stayed a total for 1 week then we went to moorea :-)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John M
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

I have traveled many places, and seen a lot of beautiful things. This place is unreal. From the water, to the food, to the staff, to the grounds. Every single thing is a "10". It is hard to get to, and yes, it's expensive. However, if you can pull it off.....you MUST GO. First of all. Get a good agent. I used Claudia at Pacific for Less. PERFECT start. She got us an amazing room, and the entire staff really looked after us. Next, we had a unbelievable butler named JUNE. She waited on us a hand and foot. Best I've ever had. If you can request her, you must. The single best service person I've ever had the pleasure of knowing in over 30 years of travel. I could go on and on. BOTTOM LINE, if you want a life changing experience, go to the St. Regis in Bora Bora.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pablo742014
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

I went for our honeymoon in Dec 13 and booked via Tahiti Travel Planners. Samantha from TTP was very helpful in answering any of our questions and they the made the booking experience very easy. I recommend them for making your travel arrangements.

The overwater villas are beautiful. The property itself is huge and they offer bikes to get around. The bikes aren't in the best conditions due to the salt water environment, but they definitely helped get from place to place with no problem. If you don't want to bike, they also offer complimentary golf cart shuttles. Food in at the resort, although ridiculously expensive but expected in Bora Bora, was very good. Lagoon Restaurant was our favorite. But they were all pretty good except for breakfast. Breakfast was pretty bad, same selection every morning and not much of a selection. If we didn't have breakfast included, we would never have paid for it and probably have skipped breakfast and had a brunch.

Overall, the hotel, room, ambiance, staff were all top notch. If you can swallow the cost, I would recommend this as great honeymoon destination.

Tips on excursions: if you book directly via the vendor, you will pay less. I believe the hotel gets a certain percentage of each booking, I guess the price you pay for convenience.

I recommend doing the pure snorkeling, top dive scuba diving and parasailing. All awesome excursions.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank boi222
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

To begin, if you are considering going to Tahiti, do yourself a favor and work with Pacific for Less to make all of your arrangements. They are far more than a travel agency. They have inside sources and contacts that will get you perks that you cannot get booking things yourself. We got a free snorkeling excursion through them that was the absolute highlight of our trip. But that's only one of the many great things we experienced working with them. We had many special requests, changed our dates, changed our flights, etc. and they fixed everything. Thanks Jennifer!

The St. Regis is incredible. It is not perfect, but you will not find a finer property in Bora Bora, especially if you are on a romantic couples vacation as opposed to a family trip where other properties may be more appropriate. There are occasional lapses in service. My butler was basically worthless throughout our stay. We had a bad experience one night at Lagoon (which was rectified the next day). The internet was a little sketchy. But look at where you're at! This resort is on the motu, not even the island. It's in the middle of the South Pacific. It is staffed by a combination of mostly French and native islanders. This is not downtown New York, Sydney, or Hong Kong. Expecting the same facilities, service, amenities, or conveniences on a tiny land mass in the middle of a huge ocean is not fair. They have what I believe are the largest OW villas in Bora Bora. The mountain view villas have better views of Otemanu than the Four Seasons. The service is fantastic. The French staff are very formal and helpful most of the time, though sometimes things are lost in translation when speaking English (certainly acceptable). The Tahitian staff, especially at the beach, are awesome. They keep the drinks flowing and are always available to assist with beach activities. The concierges are extremely helpful. The wedding staff was top notch with arrangements for our vow renewal, including clearing the use of paddleboards for a photo op after our ceremony with the resident marine biologist which has never been done there. The spa staff was great as well. The restaurants all served excellent food. That includes the breakfast buffet, which most people get complimentary with their villa. It's basically the same every day, but there's made to order eggs, omelets, benedicts, crepes, and waffles. There's certainly enough variety to keep it interesting every day, and it's great not having to sign for an expensive meal sometimes. The lunch at the bar and by the pool was great too. It was actually reasonable for what you got. The pizzas and the Parisian sandwich were large enough for two to share and I'm a very big eater. They routinely brought a double order of fries with a sandwich order that we shared. And don't forget that you can eat on the main island with the convenient nightly shuttles. Bloody Mary's and St. James are worth the trip. Le Villa Mahana will change your life. I also recommend going into town to pick up some wine and appetizers including the fresh baguettes which are only 60 cents apiece. You can have a nice little picnic at the Oasis pool.

So do yourself a favor. Contact Pacific for Less and book the trip. By the time you leave you will be planning your next trip like we are.

Room Tip: Deluxe overwater villa - best views are in 220-227
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple