“A week in paradise”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Richmond, Virginia
“A week in paradise”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The St. Regis Bora Bora is one of those places you have always wanted to go. It lives up to the billing as that sort of place. Having seen the island from all directions, the view of Mr. Otemanu is the absolute best from this resort. I do recommend getting a villa with a view of the mountain, you get sunsets & the gorgeous lagoon as you backdrop every day! We stayed in 223, it was excellent. Service is what you would expect from a 5star resort, first class all the way. The food was good, there are multiple restaurants to choose from, we went with the inclusive meal plan which made for stress free gourmet dining. The Lagoon restaurant is fantastic, the best views you can have for dining, anywhere, ever. I would go before sunset to get a good table at the edge of the dock, and enjoy the sunset over the mountain.

We coordinated a week in bora bora with a trip to new zealand- we used "pacific for less". They were extremely helpful, and helped make our honeymoon absolutely excellent

Room Tip: side away from the main dock (the northern pier if looking at google maps) facing the mountain.
1 Thank andrew p
StRegisBoraBora, Sales Coordinator at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear andrew p,

We are delighted to read that your stay with us met your expectations and we thank you very much for sharing your tips and experience with our followers.

We hope to be able to see you again in future !

Kind Regards

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have never used a travel agent as I am pretty keen on doing my own research and getting better prices, however I opted to go with Pacific for Less (see my other reviews) as they have a great rep online. The package I bought included airfare, 9 nights at the St Regis, breakfast buffet, a shark & ray feeding tour, couples massages, champagne for 2 and a turn down service with flowers.

**Worth paying more for the mountain view**

After a VERY long journey from LA to Papeete, Tahiti, we boarded another small plane to Bora Bora. There is no AC in the small airport so be sure to bring a change of clothes. We landed and were greeted with a lei from the St Regis staff who took our luggage for us from the baggage area and we boarded a boat and headed to the St Regis.

After a short time, we arrive and are greeted with cold towels and fresh pineapple juice. LOVED that after our exhausting journey. Our butler checked us in and did his best to get us in our room before the actual check in time of 4pm! (It was 10am :( and we needed sleep!) We enjoyed the amazing views from the breakfast buffet and were taken on a carted tour of the resort. Our room was ready by noon and our luggage was already waiting for us. We crashed out for a few hours and then awoke to get ready for the Polynesian feast & show that the Butler recommended to us. The food was plentiful and we very much enjoyed the dancers.

The one thing they did tell us about but I was still not prepared for was the price of the meals. I'm so glad I brought protein bars and snacks, because it still cost a small fortune just for dinners each night. (I learned later that there was a dinner add on option that we could have done through the agency but I was not offered it up front) Drinks are between 20-40 per drink so its best to get some liquor at LAX duty free and buy the mixers instead of paying that insane amount. For sure bring snacks!

The room was SPECTACULAR! I can't say enough about it, everything was thought of. Perfect in every way. I expected some bugs, and found some but oddly enough, it didn't pose an issue for me, they have bug spray in the room in case.

After day one, we never saw our butler again, so I don't know if they should say butler service is included, instead perhaps, butler meet and greet is included. lol.

Wifi is outrageous! So buy a pre-paid plan from your carrier or you can use the business center, we enjoyed not having the phone working day & night though. Be careful though, public internet-we got hacked while there.

The gym is good, it has no cardio equipment, I guess they want you to be outside but for a fitness fanatic like myself, I would have liked an elliptical or something.

We ate at all of the restaurants on site, Italian was good, great bread, strange veggie soup but have the homemade icecream, my fav! The sushi place was my least fav, because I don't like sushi I guess, I ordered the noodles with chicken and it was awful. The Lagoon restaurant is a MUST do! Sit on the patio at sunset, they had DELISH food, great service and ambiance, quite spectacular. Room service was ok, a little bland and inconsistent when I ordered the same thing twice. Breakfast was great everyday and the main restaurant and the luau was delish as well.

Service all around, all staff was superb! Great attitudes, very friendly, helpful and they seemed happy to be at work. Even if they were faking it for our benefit, you couldn't tell. They went above and beyond to make us all happy.

The shark & Ray tour was SO cool, do it! Also added on the jet ski tour of the island, do that too! Otherwise you can enjoy the amenities the resort has to offer, free kayak, paddle boarding, the insanely gorgeous beach front, your room is amazing! and the pool was so nice.

If you are going to the main island, take the boat during the times offered and then catch a bus to the area where everything is, there isn't much, if I did it again, I would pass and just check out Bloody Mary's, its a historic restaurant and SO very cool, sand floors, cool atmosphere and ok food, a little cheaper than your resort food. The hotel tried hard to sell us on a couple other places, they probably get a kick back for sending people, but I am so glad we cancelled and checked out Bloody Marys for lunch (we had to pay 20 for a cab there & back tho)

Be sure to have the La Hine (Big coconut drink) SOOOOO delish!

The couples massage was nice and all but the 'Polynesian' massage was not really a massage, more of extremely light floating of the hands over you. I get massages weekly and was hoping to pay for an upgrade to deep tissue but they didn't allow it. I'd pass on it.

We received everything from our package except for the flowered turn down service, I think it was because our butler was mia, but we didn't mind at all when we were able to get a late check out at 330pm since the flight wasn't until 1130p!

The worst part was having to leave and deal with the awful airport to airport to airport shuffle.

Such an amazing vacation though, bucket list for sure. If you are going to Bora Bora, stay at the st regis, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for the mountain view.
5 Thank Vegas G
Riverside, California
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just back from the St. Regis. This was our third time to Bora Bora and it just keeps getting better. We have stayed at the Hilton Nui, the Intercontinental Thalasso, and now the St. Regis. All were excellent -- just being in Bora Bora is a dream. But...the St. Regis has been the best. We met another couple that said they spent half time at St. Regis and half time at Four Seasons. They said St. Regis was slightly better on balance (for those of you comparing). A few tips:

- Use Pacific for Less (better prices and more for your money)
- Save the extra money to eat at Lagoon and have drinks at the bars. Don't skimp on this trip. The prices are high because of the cost to get things there. If you don't eat and drink at the resort, they may not make the money they need to stay in business. If you are going to do it, go all out!
- Eat at Villa Mahana. We have been there 3 times and are still amazed.
- Change your clothes (bathing suit with clothes on top) at the Tahiti airport. You may not be able to get into your room right away and you want to be ready.
- Don't miss the Shark and Ray Tour and the Jet Ski tour. Say hi to Leo for us!
- Bring your own mask. Many are broken and that makes snorkeling difficult.
- Snorkel at the Lagoonarium at the resort. It is amazing.
- There is plenty of 30 and 50 sunscreen at the pool. No need to haul that over
- You can use laundry services for not much money. Don't over pack.
- The exchange rate at the hotel is better than LA airport
- Don't waste time/money on Bloody Mary's. We keep trying but it is very average
- Take DVD's. The sound system is great and its fun to watch a movie at the end of the day
- Take time to learn about the staff. They all have a great story. Service is amazing and the people are truly special.
- Order crepes and poached eggs off the breakfast menu. Be creative each day or the buffet will get boring.

Have a great time!

6 Thank WestPointMom2016
StRegisBoraBora, Sales Coordinator at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Ia Orana WestPointMom2016

Thank you for your review !
We are delighted that your third Bora Bora experience included a stay with us, and we are happy that our services met your expectations. We will definitely check our masks stock to make sure our upcoming guest can snorkel without any inconvenient.

We thank you very much for choosing The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort and hope to be part of your fourth experience in our tropical waters !

Regards,
NJ
Reviewed December 1, 2013

When we arrived, our butler, meet us at the dock, cold drink was served and cold towel Our check in was at our OWB! It was my bday when we checked in so we were advised if we want a special something since the Lagoon Restaurant, Jean George Vorgenrichten was closed. We chose a dinner at the beach. The full moon was so bright, the flower arrangement on the dinner table was beautiful! The only disappointing part was the two main course were so bland and no flavor at all. There was a green stain on the table cloth. Our first course and desserts were very good. I relayed this to our butler the next day but no Response from the chef or food manager. That dinner was not cheap but it was very pleasant.
The Lagoon Restaurant was very good, the Sushi Take was very very good too. Their main restaurant, Le Pahau ( I think that was the name), dinner was good too. After swimming, snorkeling, kayaking in the afternoon, we swam to the pool bar and would have bloody Marys!
The massage for an hour and a half, mine was good, my husband's was so so.
Our OWB was huge and very clean. I would recommend staying at the St Regis BoraBora. We are older couples who had travelled extensively. Pack your bags now!

Room Tip: Any room is good!
4 Thank peony09
Ia Orana peony09

Thank you very much for your review!
We are pleased that your stay led you to recommend our Resort to upcoming vacationers and will definitely forward your experience details to our teams.
It is very helpful to help us point our areas of improvements and we are thankful for this too.

We wish you a great festive season and hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards

Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I started off in Moorea and then traveled to Bora Bora for the second portion of our honeymoon. It was the perfect ending island to our marvelous honeymoon. Our travel agent, Claudia, of Pacific for Less suggested that we end with Bora Bora and I'm so happy we listened to her advice. My husband chose St. Regis because of the restaurants located within the resort. Made it easier so we didn't have to go off in a boat to the main island and we were able to enjoy amazing food and still be within the comfort of our own resort. I forget the name, but we ate at the newly opened Italian Restaurant, Sushi Take, Te Pahu, and we had the Lagoon's food delivered to us in our room. All of the places had exceptional food and service!
During the time we went, it was considered to be their winter season so the winds kicked up a bit here and there but there was still enough sun for the water to be at the right temperature. The water by our bungalow just looked to be a bit choppy but once in the water, you hardly felt it. Everyone is super nice and friendly and so accommodating.
We scheduled an activity with the concierge for a shark and ray feeding and swimming. At first, I thought we would be going to the lagoonarium, where the sharks and rays were secluded within a certain area but our tour guide, Natua, he took us for a ride. We first stopped to look for manta rays and we snorkeled above them. They were just so gorgeous and graceful in their swimming. Next, we went snorkeling at a beautiful coral reef location that had a hug eel hiding and our tour guide lured him out with a tuna. The eel was well over 8 feet in length! We then stopped in a shallow area where there were many reef sharks. Our tour guide fed them tuna while we went into the uncharted waters to technically "swim" with them. All I really did was just hold onto a rope and watched them swim around me while eating the tuna. Then there was the sting ray feeding at another location and they loved the treats. They would not stop attacking my husband thinking that his underwater camera was fish for them. Our last stop was at an area where the water broke off from. I believe it was considered the only entrance way by water into the islands of Bora Bora. Right around that area, under the waves, were lemon sharks swimming towards the bottom of the sea. Too far for us to swim near with our snorkel gear, but far enough away for us to watch from above.

I will never forget my honeymoon and I want to go back already. My husband and I are planning a ten year anniversary trip back to St. Regis Bora Bora.

4 Thank Lois Y
Dear Lois Y

What a fun you have had !
We would like to thank you very much for posting a review on our Trip Advisor account. It seems that your Honeymoon was a success and we are extremely happy to arrive to this conclusion !

We are already waiting for you to celebrate your 10th Anniversary with us and meanwhile, we will not forget to let our associates know about your satisfaction !

Kind Regards from our sunny corner of Paradise,

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Bucket list level trip that was worth the time and money. Four stars in part due to higher expectations from a five star resort. The service was awesome as expected and the setting is wonderful. However we had plumbing issues in two separate over-water bungalows. The second resulted in a flooded bathroom, which not only required multiple calls for attention but went without apology or excuse.

Our arrival could not have gone better. Hotel staff was waiting at the airport and called us by name. Check in was completed on the boat en route to the hotel.

We chose to stay on the resort for meals, sampling the sushi, Italian, "house" and Lagoon restaurants. The first three may well share a kitchen, but the food and service in each was excellent. We were always greeted by name, and the managers/ staff stopped past our tables the next night while we were in the other restaurants to make sure we were satisfied. The Lagoon Restaurant had just reopened after a two week hiatus to repair the thatched roof. While the food was excellent, the service was in general not consistent with reputation or expectations. They were not particularly accommodating of shell fish allergies, and we even found part of a shell in a martini glass.

Our "butler" was of little use and we only saw her one day out of five.

One amazing aspect of this resort; due to its size and layout, it always felt empty (in a good way). The prime dinner times required reservations for desirable tables, but otherwise the resort could have been empty.

The people in French Polynesia made for an excellent experience, and the beach staff were the best. We'd approach a pair of chaise lounges, and before we settled in towels and ice water appeared. The attendants seemed to enjoy their jobs and were helpful with water sports and even shared excitement about the rays in the water.

Tips: Even a novice swimmer will enjoy snorkeling with the fish in the lagoonarium. Take the time to go to the surf side of the resort, it's like an entirely different planet. Do bring liquor and/or wine if you want to drink - it's expensive and the bar closes early. Wi-Fi is fee based, and is for a window beginning at log-on, not for say two hours in aggregate. Unlike Tahiti and Moorea, English is widely spoken by staff.

Room Tip: Deluxe over-water bungalows - rooms in the 200's have better views than 100's, western facin...
2 Thank just2ovUs
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Being the last island on our french polynesian trip.... we were at another hut resort (complete trash) and upgraded to st regis and were BLOWN AWAY! this is the best hotel i have ever had the privledge of staying at...everyone was wonderful...jafar was OUTSTANDING! cant say enough about this beautiful place

Room Tip: if you have ever seen couples retreat...go for the vince vaughn room..thats where we stayed...over t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple