“Awesome”

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed November 26, 2013

3 days in and wanted to write a review which have never done - but this place is worth it - it is paradise . We have been to many many places and top end resorts and this is the best
Here is some of the reasons why but have also put in a few things that could be improved or notes for peeps booking
Why amazing - Well everything is really - The water looks like its been photo shoped - never seen so blue and that includes Barbados , Greek Is., Great Barrier Reef etc etc / The rooms are sensational - never had a room that is better (had bigger but not as functional and just really nice )....... the room has a deck you swim off all day , a good size balcony and great areas inside ( we are in Deluxe over water bungalow 106) First resort that we didnt hang at pool all day as rooms so good / Food is awesome - The lagoon restuarant is the pick so far as is the French toast in the morning /The service is fantastic and they pay attention to every detail includeing names - all of them try and rememember :)/ Our butler with her beautiful sense of humour is awesome too -trying to think of things she can do as she is asking all the time to help :)
All in all it really is the best place ever !!
Tips - We are in room 106 which is awesome foor the view ( 103 - 110 are Deluxe which are the biggest of the 4 catagories until you get into 2 bedrooms and worth it because they have bigger balcony to hang out and also family room which is 2 x others ) the end ones are a good 15 minute walk which all reviewers say best view and just catch a golf buggy but why would you not want to walk as its so beautiful / relaxing and 106 area is same view of mountain ( only issue with 106 is its near the bridge and you hear the buggies go by all day long ( and thats another small issue its like a highway sometimes and we even counted one every minute once ( my GF says I am high maintainance on these issues but I call it attention to detail and you may too :) - seems every staff member has a buggie and the walkway can be a little bit of a highway which ruins the serenity a little ...I would pick 108 as the best as get the view of the mountain / sunset and wouldnt hear the bridge noise as much ( lots of reviewers say the 220 + but the are way out on poontoon / jetty and seem a little far and less romatic as not amoungst the gardens which are sensational // Lots of paid water sports here but the resort should have a windsurfer and catermaran like most beach resorts do ( they were there but say they are broken ?? ) Would be good to also have a direct boat service to dinner in town like FS
Other advice- dont go to town except for dinner as there is nothing there ...
Bottom line so far is this is the best place ever and worth the journey
CA

Room Tip: room 108 the best
2  Thank Cambell A

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We just returned from 5 nights at St Regis Bora Bora. When you arrive they say 'welcome to paradise'. That is an understatement!!! The rooms are so much bigger than we would have expected and the view is just devine. We spent the week riding jet skis, snorkelling, having a couples massage and just relaxing in hammocks with cocktails. What an absolutely amazing place.

The hotel was just gorgeous and the staff were absolutely amazing. Our butler June was just gorgeous and looked after us so well. I absolutely could not fault this resort at all. The management and staff should be so proud of themselves. We miss the island so much and are saving to come back as soon as we can.

Thank you so much St Regis for a holiday we will never forget.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a truly magical vacation to the St. Regis. Everything about this place was amazing. We booked our travel through Pacific for Less, which made everything, from start to finish, so easy. They basically booked everything for us and took care of every last detail. The property is unbelievable, as is the service, the villas, the deck, the friendliness of the staff, and all of the little details that came along with it. We stayed in Villa #220 and the sunset and mountain view was beyond. Had our romantic 10 year anniversary dinner at Villa Mahana. Be prepared to pay, but it is worth it!!! The food was some of the best we ever had and the setting was so memorable. Only thing we would not rate a 5 was the spa. Our couples massage was part of our romance package, but if I were paying for it separately, I would be very disappointed. For such a 5 star property, you would expect more. Overall though, AMAZING and want to go back again. Would do it over, same place, in a heartbeat.

3  Thank Suzi G
Reviewed November 22, 2013

OMG every day it's OMG, probably the nicest resort we have ever been to !! the villa was amazing, the water was amazing, the staff were always there to look after you, I cannot think of one one thing we did'nt like from the sevice to the food everything was woderful, Pacific for Less looked after everything went like clockwork,sorry to leave, till next time.

Room Tip: 200s have the best view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GroverDB
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've looked at tripadvisor religiously when planning and even after planning our honeymoon in Bora Bora and I wanted to say "thank you" to all the helpful reviews and post one of my own so future vacationers can gather more information.
We arrived at PPT after some long and tiring flights (I don't sleep on flights so I was fatigued) and after I got out of the restroom, my husband had an incredulous look on his face. He muttered "St. Regis took our wines". huh? My brain functioning on a limited basis tried to understand what he meant but in a matter of seconds, Glenn came with a welcome and leis. I still was processing everything but my head ducked instinctively to get the lei around my neck. Glenn had taken all the luggage and even hand carry items (we had some bottles of wine we bought at duty free). He showed us to the boat that would be transporting us and asked us if we wanted pictures of the beautiful background. He took pictures of us, had us sign some forms, introduced us to the captain, Sam and with the stealth precision he used to greet us, he stepped off the boat without a loss in step and left. I was still processing everything that was going on and I don't even think I said "Thank you" and "goodbye". Woah.
The ride was relaxing and it helps you process that wherever you came from, you are now in a beautiful environment and you are to relax.
Even though we missed our Air Tahiti flight and had to catch the next one, we were still very early for check in.
Ako greeted us with a refreshing beverage and frangipani scented towels. She offered to give us a tour of St. Regis while we wait for our room or we could have a drink at the bar. The bar it was.
We sat at the table at the Aparima bar and had a beer as well as a sandwich. The reviews are true. That Parisian sandwich could feed 2 people. It comes on two mini baguettes! To be honest, it is not loaded with cheese and ham - maybe a slice or two of ham as well as cheese but it is definitely enough. After that, we decided to wait in the lobby until the room was ready and I am embarrassed to say, but I dozed off. Ako came and she then gave us a tour of the St. Regis. She noted that liked the Oasis pool and Lagoonarium but she hardly sees people there. It was useful information for the rest of our stay. She took us to the overwater bungalow and explained everything to us and I think I may have retained about 30% of what she said because after we unpacked, I took a bath in the big tub and I took a well deserved nap. We stayed in Room 301 which, unfortunately, did not have the views of the mountain that all the other reviews raved about but we were happy. Our bungalow was bigger than the apartment we live in.

My husband woke me up in time for our reservations at Far Niente, the new Italian restaurant that opened. We were seated promptly and I ordered the calamari to share and the seafood pasta.
*My husband and I take advantage of the restaurants Manhattan has to offer. Otto, Babbo, Po, Sushi Seki, etc.
Given the reviews and the type of food we usually treat ourselves to, was the Italian at St. Regis like Po? No. But it was better than we expected and we did not have any complaints on any of the restaurants (we did all of them) we dined at during our stay. My only true lackluster meal, when compared to the restaurants at St. Regis, would be the Polynesian Event on Wednesdays. Ironically, that was the one I was looking forward to the most as it has a suckling pig.
In terms of food, St. Regis was good but we did feel like we were missing a few things:
1. When we go to a restaurant in the city, we usually treat ourselves to a few cocktails at the bar area or another bar. The restaurants at St. Regis do not have that type of environment so instead, we would go to the Aparima bar and have a few beers or their specialty cocktails before and sometimes after our dinner reservations.
2. We were a bit disappointed in the lack of variety in the types of food offered. We would have loved to see a bistro (given the French influence) that served more simple fare like steamed mussels or steak frites. Or a restaurant for casual local fare like grilled whole fish. For instance, some of the items at Aparima were also in the menu for Tepahu so the food seemed homogenous at times.
3. Breakfast buffet was our favorite meal of the day. The first day you are amazed at the selection but after that you realize what your favorites are. My husband loved the french toast (which he never usually orders). I noticed that they used baguettes and I did try it - it was delicious. He loved the hash browns and the meats of course. My favorites were the fresh cut fruit like papaya and I loved this little roasted half tomato topped with herb breadcrumbs. Their sautéed potatoes were awesome. I also enjoyed a cheese omelette.
*sidenote: there is a local resident (who I dubbed the unofficial mascot of St. Regis Bora Bora and named Oliver - later found out it should be Olivia) who would peruse the outside deck premise for suckers (me). Should you feel to need to feed Olivia breakfast like I did every day, don't bother with cheese. She likes the seared tuna and local smoked fish. She also has a taste for pork products. She made my missing my four legged brood a bit easier.

For activities, I found paddle boarding to be a ton of fun. I don't know why but I just never did it on any of my trips. If you need snorkeling gear, you can pick up the masks and fins from the gentlemen by the Aparima bar. You can also get sunscreen there. They have spf 30 and 50. We were there for 10 days and I had a 10oz(?) bottle of spf 50 which we ran out of at around day 7? The sun is fierce. Even with spf 50, you need to apply constantly or maybe even get a higher spf. We saw the fish feeding with Corantine (I am sure I am spelling this incorrectly) and she introduced us to the main attraction at the Lagoonarium. Her name is Maeva (which means Welcome) and she is a Napolean fish around 8 years old. She is very shy but on our last day, she delighted me with letting me swim with her without her hiding! You just have to keep your distance so she knows you are not chasing her. There is also an immature Napoleon fish which they think is a boy. Sometimes Maeva likes to chase him around.
Paddle boarding, snorkeling, hanging out at the private Oasis pool - it was just the level of activity we wanted. We did, however, join the half day tour of sting ray and shark feeding. All the reviews mentioned it so I did not want to miss out. We had Thierry and Bastian as our guides. They were funny. There were 3 stops. First was sting ray feeding, then the coral gardens, and the last was for the shark feeding. We were told that no sharks are at the sting ray feeding but we definitely had some visitors. I think we had about 4 small black tipped sharks. I was really cool to see them and to touch some of the sting rays. The coral garden was nice but though it definitely had more fish I thought the Lagoonarium at St. Regis had more variety of fish readily available to see. Last but not least was the shark feeding. We saw the same type of black tipped sharks we saw at the sting ray feeding but there were two HUGE lemon sharks swimming at the bottom. It was surreal.

In terms of service, yes, you get superior service at St. Regis. We did not make use of the butler. I was told you could request one but I just figured, "why wait?" and just do things ourselves. I can't say we are the type of people that regularly use butlers so I don't think I would know what to do with one if I did. We are Americans and I am sorry but to pay a check without leaving some tip seemed like a major fault to us. We noticed that there is service tax included in everything so we didn't leave a normal NYC tip but we definitely did tip. I'm sure it is not expected as they say this on their website and I read it on numerous reviews but it's so engrained to us that we just could not not tip. After a few days here, you realize that everyone wears different hats. Someone you saw as a server at the breakfast buffet may be a host at one of the restaurants later that night. I saw many people doing various duties during my stay. At the restaurants, it is not uncommon for you to be served by 4 people or more. I am thinking St. Regis does this so you feel like you always have someone at your disposal but we did a flaw with that. Though you may have 4 people waiting on you, I cannot say that they are all coordinated. For example, we may have been asked more than once if we ordered our drinks or placed our entree orders, we may have to ask for things more than once (there was one time we never got our digestifs) and it takes a really long time to just get the check. These were a few missteps we experienced but there is no doubt in my mind that everyone at St. Regis works really really hard.
We had Aline, who although we met due to a mishap at breakfast made damn sure that we were fine for the rest of our stay pretty much every day thereafter, Helene who shared mosquito war stories with me.
*sidenote. There are mosquitos here and even more if you stay at the beachside villa (second half of our stay). I was prudent enough to bring Off! from home but if you attract mosquitos and are allergic (welts and scarring) like me, bring something stronger. Maybe with DEET. The spray from home and even the gift shop did not deter mosquitos. You can also request that housekeeping provide a mosquito repellent plug in for the rooms should you need one.
We also had Johann as our bartender at Aparima Bar almost every day during our stay. There are countless others but I just happened to write down those names in my journal.

St. Regis gifted us with a couples massage at the Miri Miri spa. Thank you St. Regis.
Should you choose to watch movies, yes, it is true that Couples Retreat plays all day and every day and sometimes you get a show not dubbed in French. Bring DVDs. We did bring a select few after reading some reviews but we were always so tired at night that we never really got passed 15 minutes of watching them. We also went to the main island to just walk around. We went into a few shops but there is this guy outside the Art and Craft market that sells shaved ice. Get it. It's delicious and refreshing. Not quite Hawaiin style but I got Lilikoi and mango flavor with some salted plum powder on top. Wonderful. We also went into the local supermarket and got some unique beverages to take back to St. Regis. It's a good stop for snacks and alcohol.

Overall, our trip was great and I am sad to be back in dreary New York weather. I'm sure my tan will fade soon but I do have wonderful memories of our honeymoon.

Room Tip: We had room 301 and that was fine. Try to get one with the mountain view as per all the other revie...
10  Thank madchen212
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

It's one of the best resorts in Bora Bora. Very good spot at Motu Ome'e with a beautiful view to the mountain. The staff is excellent. They have a really good spa and the lagoon is absolutly stunning! Everything was amazing! I would recommend this place to everybody.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed November 16, 2013

A trip to Bora Bora is a beautiful, incredible experience. The St. Regis Resort significantly enhances the journey. All but the most jaded travelers will find the Resort luxurious and inviting. Still, there is room for improvement. Overall, we felt it was the best choice for the destination. More below...

Location: The resort has the plum perch on the 'Jewel of the Pacific'. To one side nearly every view is framed by Mt. Otemanu to the other is a beautiful lagoon perfect for beach lounging and water activities. The Intercontinental and the Four Seasons (St. Regis's neighbor) lack such a position. For the most part you are 'stuck' at the resort but a thrice daily boat/bus shuttle service can take you to Vaitape. We were surprised that the trip took about 45 minutes each way.

Rooms: The large, well appointed over water villas are iconic. Every morning I jumped right into the ocean after my run. The sitting area and patio space really makes the room feel expansive. We noticed some maintenance issues that surprised us for a world class property but nothing that affected our enjoyment of the villa.

Dining: You should not come to Bora Bora for the food but we enjoyed our meals. The breakfast buffet was slightly disappointing. The main restaurant, pool bar and room service all supply enjoyable plates but no knockouts. Lagoon is worth a try and the sushi restaurant shined where it used local fish. The wine list was quite limited but the (small) cocktails were well mixed. But if you are going to complain about not having the right sort of chateauneuf du pape or how chilly your martini glass is remember that you are having a drink in truly the most beautiful part of the middle of nowhere.

Service: To an employee everyone at the St. Regis was gracious and genuinely friendly. But by international standards service was slow; particularly the butler service to the rooms. This was a surprise given how heavily the St. Regis brand markets the butler service. Still, everything was handled elegantly. We had one issue that was well taken care of by the front desk manager.

Spa and Activities: There is plenty to do at the St. Regis and around Bora Bora. We particularly enjoyed the various water sports equipment available at the beach. Scuba diving, snorkeling and tours of the island can easily be arranged. The Miri Miri Spa occupies some of the best real estate on property and delivers quality treatments. There is not much specifically geared for children here and plenty to make parents of small ones nervous (i.e. you can jump in to the ocean from your villa).

Overall: If you are headed to Bora Bora you know you are going to spend plenty of money. The St. Regis may come at a modest (Four Seasons) or significant (Hilton) premium over its competition. If you are OK with that the money is generally well spent on a gracious, luxurious resort vacation in one of the world's best destinations.

5  Thank FirstClassFedora
StRegisBoraBora, Sales Coordinator at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear FirstClassFedora, Ia Orana from a much sunny Bora Bora !

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort. It is important for us to make sure our guests receive a service that matches and even exceed their expectations, and thanks to you, we can learn more about our areas of improvement.
We hope to see you again in our property and wish you a happy end of year !
Kind Regards