“The perfect anniversary trip”

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Chicago, Illinois
“The perfect anniversary trip”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We wanted to do a special trip for our 25th anniversary and decided on Bora Bora. We normally don't use a travel agent, but after reading all the mentions of Pacific for Less, we decided to contact them. Boy, were we glad we did. Claudia and her team handled everything for us and made sure every detail was taken care of. Plus, our total price was significantly less than what we could have arranged on our own.

Pacific for Less arranged for our 8-night stay that began May 11, including a shark/ray snorkeling tour, couples massage at the St. Regis spa, champagne on arrival and breakfast included. The big plus that Claudia's team was able to get for us was a free 3-course dinner each night at any of the St. Regis restaurants. That was a huge money saver, as dinner will easily cost you $250-$300 otherwise. That promotion isn't often available, though, so you may need to get lucky at the time of your booking. The Lagoon restaurant (by Jean Georges) was simply fabulous. Try to book a table on the terrace if possible for the ultimate dinner view at sunset. We ate there three times and loved every meal.

One night we did leave the resort for dinner and went to La Villa Mahana on our anniversary. Claudia's team made the reservation for us and was able to book the private, VIP table upstairs on the terrace. What an incredible meal -- one of the best we've ever had. Two 7-course tasting menus were offered. I had one, and my wife tried the other. Each course was delicious, and wines that were paired with each course also were excellent.

The resort won't disappoint you at all. Even though the pictures make it look spectacular, they don't do the place justice. We had a deluxe overwater villa with a mountain view, room 121. We couldn't believe the views with the mountain on one side and the brilliant colors of the lagoon surrounding us. Just amazing. The room itself was huge, with plenty of windows and sliding doors to enjoy the views from inside, too.

The resort grounds were beautiful and extremely well manicured. It never felt crowded and lounge chairs were always available at the pool and beach, but enough guests were around to strike up conversations with, too. The staff was among the friendliest we've experienced, and they knew your name by the second time you met them.

We arranged a photo session through the concierge, and Jennie the photographer was fantastic to work with. Our 90-minute session lasted over 2 hours. One hiccup was that the concierge booked the photo session for the late morning, and the sun was rather harsh. When the photos didn't come out the best, Jennie actually came back a second time and took more photos in the hour before sunset. Those photos turned out amazing, and I highly recommend Jennie for her technical ability and her desire to make sure we were happy. She was wonderful to work with.

One of the nice things the St. Regis does is print out your itinerary for the next day and drop it off at your door each night. You know exactly what you have planned, where to be and when. Checkout was the same way, with a detailed letter explaining exactly when the boat shuttle will take you to the airport.

One tip -- drinks are expensive, $20 to $25 each. If you want to defray some of that cost, pick up a bottle of your favorite liquor at the duty-free shop in LA or whatever airport you are going through. That will make for an inexpensive happy hour on your deck before dinner.

We couldn't be happier with how our anniversary trip turned out. The time Claudia spent with us on the phone answering all of our questions prior to booking, and the follow-through by her staff were a huge help. And the St. Regis staff and facilities made it all worthwhile. It was the perfect trip.

5 Thank MPolzin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Great Neck, NY
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We just came back from our honeymoon for 7 days and 6 nights and the entire trip was perfect from start to finish. It's exactly what you see in pictures, but better. When you're there, you can't even believe what you are staring at. Couples retreat movie in real life!!

Here is a detailed re-cap (as I had a lot of questions before I booked as well, but couldn't find all the answers in one place):

Travel Agent:

I researched and researched this vacation for weeks and was going to book this trip on my own when I kept seeing everyone mention Pacific for Less as their travel agent. I thought it was kind of weird that everyone kept mentioning their travel agent, but I decided to give it a try. Well let me tell you, I am SO happy I booked through Pacific for Less. I spent over an hour on a phone call asking every question possible and Claudia never lost her patience with me! We received free buffet breakfast everyday, villa upgrade to lagoon view, couples massage for 50 minutes, free private dinner on the beach and it was still cheaper than booking on my own! I am not kidding, I was really hesitant at first using a travel agent, but it was worth it!! I emailed them random questions and someone always responded quickly.

Hotel:

Don't bother looking at the four seasons, just book the St. Regis. You will NOT regret this decision. The rooms are a lot larger, they offer more shuttles to the main town and free water! The St. Regis is also more geared for adults and we only saw 2 kids the entire stay. The staff is amazing and will be calling you by your name within the second day. Rooms are extremely clean and cleaned daily as well as night turn down. You can use bikes your entire stay, they provide snorkeling gear for the entire stay as well as delicious cookies every night! You can also have them pick you up and take you anywhere in the resort on a golf cart. Truly a 5 star resort. Also, I debated for a VERY long time, what kind of villa to book. I questioned if it was worth it to book the mountain view vs. the lagoon view. My husband and I were happy that we did not pay the extra money for the mountain view because you literally jump in the water, face your villa and the mountain is right behind it! You also see the mountain the entire stay, everywhere you go. Totally not worth the extra money in our opinion. We paid for beach view, but got upgraded to lagoon view from our travel agent. The concierge in the lobby, can confirm all of your restaurant reservations and activities. They leave you a note the night before with instructions and reminding you of everything you need.

Restaurants:

Have Pacific for Less make the reservations for you. They can get you sold out dates, etc. Also, just so you understand every single restaurant reservation that takes place in the main town is at 7pm (really your sitting down at restaurant by 6:45) because the boat shuttle leaves the hotel at 6:15pm and there are cabs that meet you on the other side that take you directly to each restaurant. The cab will pick you back up and take you back for the 8:30pm/8:45pm shuttle. The hotel has a list of each of your activities/dinners and are fully aware of where everyone is going and what time they are going, etc. I felt safe and very organized on all levels.

Book Villa Mahana. #1 restaurant on the island, do the Epicurean menu ($150 pp without alcohol), worth every penny. Do NOT hesitate, book it. Go hungry! Also book St. James, another amazing restaurant. We didn't bother going to Bloody Mary's as we heard the food isn't that good. Sushi restaurant at hotel was great as well. We didn't love Lagoon, but I can see why it is very popular. Room service lunch is really good and they set it up in your villa or on the deck as if you were eating at the restaurant! Breakfast buffet was the same everyday, but we loved it!

Lunch at the hotel will run about $80-$100, dinners in Bora Bora will run you between $150-$200 (with about 2-3 drinks per person).

Excursions:

We booked through the hotel the 2 hour jet ski//2 hour ATV tour. It was so much fun! We loved it and they take you all around the island. The tour guides were very nice. It was $38,000 XPF. You can also bill the excursions booked through the hotel to your room bill which was nice.

We booked an excursion on our own with Keishi Tours that was HIGHLY recommended to us by a friend that did it. This was the most amazing excursion we have ever done in our lives. I'm not kidding. It's a private boat tour that picks you up directly at the hotel. It's from 10am-330pm. You snorkel in the ocean (different fish from the lagoon at the hotel), you swim around sharks and sting rays. The tour ends with a private lunch in the actual water. The guide cooked up lobster, mahi mahi, steak, shrimp, potato and brought salads. He literally bbqed in the water and the meal was probably the best we had after villa mahana. We ate on a table in the water staring at the mountain on a private island. You can see pictures on their website. Tei was our tour guide. This tour was $700 USD, and worth every single penny.

Feel free to ask me any questions as I know booking a trip like this is overwhelming and a lot of money so you should know exactly what you are paying for. Use Pacific for Less as they really made this experience for us 10x better.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 304/requested a lot of privacy and sun exposure and we got it. Lagoon view.
8 Thank JoannaToro
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We used Tahiti Travel Planners to plan this vacation. Lauren was very helpful and we will use this agency again when we we travel back to Bora Bora. We stayed at the ST. Regis, Bora Bora. This hotel is amazing. Not only is it beautiful the people are so friendly and aim to please. From the time of our arrival back to the airport there was nothing to want for. Ask and you shall receive. There are "cabana boys" that take care of the guests on the beach and at the pool. Every half hour our so they came around with cold water. They also brought around fresh fruit for you to nibble on. Johann and Oliver at the pool bar are outstanding. The food at the restuarants is truly first class. The show that they have on Wednesday nights in enjoyable. The villas are more than the pictures show and will just take your breath away. What I liked best is the butler service and the concierge. The ladies at the desk booked all of our reservations for us and then an itinerary with dates, time and locations was delivered to our villa. There were no questions where we needed to be or what we were doing. The butler service is very prompt and very accomodating. If you don't know what kind of an excersion to do, book the Love Boat with Damion. That was the best part of the vacation. One word of caution - pass up Bloody Mary's. There are many more restaurants that are worth the money and time.

Room Tip: I don't know how any rooms are bad rooms. The resort was very quiet. If you don't like to...
2 Thank Jennifer M
Newport Beach,California
Reviewed May 23, 2013

An amazing stay at the St. Regis, we shall return! Bora Bora is really easy to get to, I can’t imagine going to Hawaii when this destination is just 2 1/2 hours further flight time and offers a travel experience which is as different as night and day. You are in for a treat, Tahiti is a truly exotic destination and the most magical place in the world. “Bora Bora that is the OMG Island”… this how our agent, Geri Miller at Tahiti Discount Travel based in Newport Beach, Ca, described it. Geri suggested the Couples Retreat Package at the St. Regis which was the best value for our 5 day stay.
Talk about feeling like Royalty, we paid for the Deluxe Overwater accommodations and were upgraded for free to a Premier Overwater Villa with a WOW view of the famous Bora Bora mountain across the lagoon which we enjoyed while relaxing in the Jacuzzi on the deck of our spacious bungalow. We spent 5 glorious nights, with free breakfast every morning and dinner reservations arranged nightly by Geri in the resorts main village. Her relationship with the resort’s management and attention to detail really paid off in making our vacation so effortless and enjoyable.
My favorite part of the resort is the Lagoonarium right in front of the spa. After our 50 minute couple massage that was included in our Couples Retreat Package, my wife and I spent a great deal of time lounging in this private lagoon set in a postcard perfect backdrop teaming with the most interesting marine life. Another favorite was the private adult pool cabanas which are a great place to relax and enjoy a bottle of champagne. The St. Regis is a treat one should experience at least once in a lifetime!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premium overwater to get the famous mountain view
4 Thank 1Metroman
Orange, California
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Bravo to the St Regis Bora Bora!

When my fiance and I are searching for a location for our honeymoon, I fell in love right away
with the St Regis Bora Bora from what I saw from their website and the comments of the guests. I was rest assured by my agent, Geri Miller with Tahiti Discount Travel , said the difference
compare to any 5 star resorts, you will be treated like royalty. She was right, the moment we arrived from the airport, it was a jaw dropping boat ride to our easy checked-in and delivered to our Premier Overwater Villa which was a 'free' upgrade from our deluxe Overwater, greeted
by our butler and indulging us with opening the bottle with a sabre.

That I know is a beginning of a great honeymoon and we both are going to cherish and talk about for the rest of our lives.
The king size bed is so comfortable and the huge tub , a big plus! Geri suggested to ask for complimentary late check out the day of, if it's available, the frontdesk will be happy to have you keep the room. A big difference to be able to stay in your Overwater till your late flight back to Papeete.
Our agent also reserved our sunset dinner at the Lagoon Restaurant, this was our highlight of our stay, for the stars and the heavens were showing off the night , we saw two shooting stars and the lagoon was glowing. Out of this world, BEAUTIFUL!!

Geri timed our trip on a full moon! Was magical! We appreciate her suggestions and creativity of putting our honeymoon together. She is a big fan of the St Regis and now we know..

2 Thank lizza d
Irvine, California
Reviewed May 20, 2013

St. Regis Bora Bora is by far one of the best experiences you could ever want to enjoy! The price is high, but the standards are designed to match. My wife and I went to Bora Bora for our first time in April 2012, and it's been over a year now, but I haven't written a review for our stay, and all of the memories are still vidid in my mind.

The accommodations are very nice at the St. Regis, we had a deluxe room with a mountain view, room 302. You will be shuttled to your room once you arrive, but later on having a bike will be very helpful in getting around the resort. Bring some bath bubbles with you so you can fully enjoy the large spa tub, we brought a couple of "bath bombs" (dissolvable soap powder bombs) that really made use of the spa more enjoyable. Once you want to leave your hotel room, you will find that there is a water taxi that will take you to the main island if that is your intent, and it is complimentary so you can use it at will but only at certain pickup/drop off times. We used it to go inland for dinner (bloody mary's etc.).

There are a lot of water activities to do on the resort's beach, all complimentary. You can find snorkeling, kayaking, sailing on a hobbie sailboat, paddle boarding, peddle boat, lounging on hammocks. They also have private cabana's surrounding a pool area if that's your thing.

The restaurants on site are very good as well. The best deal for lunch would be at the pool bar, if you order a sandwich (french roll kind, I forget the name), it will come as a very large portion. My wife and I thought they gave us two orders of the same thing, but they stated it was just one order split into two plates, it was enough to get both of us full and made the $30 price tag a little more palatable. For dinner, Lagoon was a very good meal but you have to make sure you ask for the outside seating during sunset, very beautiful, very romantic. Bloody Mary's on the main island was also extremely tasty, very good and not too pricey given that you are ordering a seafood dish.

As far as activities go, I booked mostly everything through the concierge at St. Regis. I'm sure you can find other things that might be less expensive, but I was very happy with the vendors that work with the resort. We went scuba diving, snorkeling around coral gardens, swam with sharks and sting rays, and jet ski'd around the island. I'm glad we stayed at St. Regis, it definitely felt like the best resort when doing a tour around the island. It's the biggest resort and the accommodations are very pleasing, and the service was top notch.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank callmehere
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The St. Regis Bora Bora far exceeded our expectations as a couple on our honeymoon. We left the day after our wedding and arrived the next morning at the hotel. The welcome was fantastic, the facilities were great, and the staff goes out of its way to serve you and make you feel welcome and happy. The spa was the best massage we have ever had. The shark and ray tour that was complimentary was the most exciting thing we did, as we touched many rays and sharks although we were scared out of our minds.

I researched the honeymoon very thoroughly and found the best deal with Claudia and the excellent staff at Pacific For Less. The package was perfect for our needs and we had the most fantastic week in our deluxe OWB. It turns out that during our Jetski tour, the jetski decided to run out of battery and would not turn on in the middle of the lagoon, causing us to have to end our trip less than halfway through. Claudia promptly took care of us and exhibited the highest amount of customer satisfaction and service.

My wife and I were so sad to leave but we know that we had the most amazing honeymoon. We hope to be back for our 10 year anniversary, God willing.

Thanks for reading!

Jeffrey and Colleen Pih

Room Tip: We had Room 224, it was fantastic. Just follow the other reviewers. I thought the view was worth t...
1 Thank cpxconfucious