“Great views of Mt.Otemanu”

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Great views of Mt.Otemanu”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel was the best hotel that my husband and I have ever stayed in. We stayed in a premier over-water bungalow with amazing views of Mt. Otemanu. They even had butler service available and it wasn't like they were always around, but whenever you needed anything, they were always there to assist you. The grounds and scenery is very beautiful there and very well taken care of. The breakfast every morning was always very good and included in the price of our package. The hotel provided beach activities complimentary such as kayaks, paddle boards, and peddel bikes. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Bora Bora, especially if they are on their honeymoon!

Room Tip: Any room would be nice there!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Central Point, Oregon
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 10 nights and traveled during January 2013. Unfortunately, this was also during a time when a typhoon was hitting Fiji and so the after effects hit us in Bora Bora while we were there. I say this only because had we not stayed 10 nights and went on a shorter excursion, the trip would have been slightly disappointing as we had several days as it were "rained in" with our excursions canceled due to weather. BUT, because we stayed 10 nights and had the most amazing bungalo over the water, it wasn't really toughing it to stay indoors and order room service. But I digress...I want to give you some heads-up about this trip.

1. Be prepared for some travel and line standing. We are from Oregon and the only way to get to Bora Bora was thru LA; a red eye flight. So, we flew on Air Tahiti Nui. Air Tahiti has no updated technology for checking in. They don't open there gates until 3 hours prior to departure so if you're like us and had to fly into LA you have a wait. People do start standing in this crazy line however (which we did too because we had nothing else to do) and let me say that they tell you to be there 3 hours before your departure for a reason.

2. You have to fly into Papeete, Tahiti first. This is where when you land you get to stand in yet another line for Customs in an unairconditioned hut. The lines are split for Europrean and US citizens with the US line working at a snails pace. I stood in customs line for 3 hours. I stress that you pack flip flops or tank tops for you to change once you land here while you're standing in the customs line.

3. Then you wait again and check into the small plane that flys to Bora Bora. THis is a first come, first seat plane so where ever you are in boarding the plane is what seats are left for you.

4. You land in Bora Bora on a small motu and then you take a boat to your destination. St. Regis has the nicest boat in my opinion and were there to pick up our bags and load them on the boat for the short (10 minutes maybe) ride to the Resort.

5. First Day Arrival: St. Regis staff, butler service and concierge service were by far worth every penny. They arranged a tour for us in a golf cart when we got there as we waited for our room to be ready. They planned all of our trips and helped us on numerous occasions with the conversion/power issue (they have ones you can rent if like us, the ones you bring just aren't useful). I recommend tipping them well because their services are worth it.

6. Money. We were concerned that we needed French Polynesian currency and kept inquiring on how much was enough. The reality is that every place takes US dollars and will convert it for you. They'll also take US dollars for tips. Most every place takes credit cards too so worrying about having their currency is not a worry.

7. Communication. There is no phone service there so bring an ipad, laptop or similar device. You can buy an internet service from the Resort (its reasonable) and communicate with your family via facetime, email or Skype.

8. Activities. We swam, kayaked, did the snorkeling in their lagoon, got massages, rode bikes, hiked, rode jet skiis and had a village excursion. We went swimming (often) and jumped right off of our over water bungalo! But note that the water (in the lagoon) is something like 10x the salt/acidity, so just getting the water in your eyes actually burns. It's bearable and uncomfortable but you can swim without goggles (as I did) but if you have them, bring them. We went kayaking on several occasions (free) and if you take the kayak back around the lagoon and pull it up thru the creek that runs out of the ocean, that is a cool trip. Not sure if we were "allowed" to do that, but I highly recommend it. It is the other side of the motu, or sand bar, that reaches the actual ocean where the kayaking is the coolest. The snorkeling is cool; they stock this. But be warned if you take the food they sell, those fish will come at you like nobodys business (which is a little scary). The massages were worth every penny. I got the balinese and my husband the polynesian; we compared and equally enjoyed these. We took the half day hike to Mt. Anau (spelling?). That is definitely worth it but be warned, it is a moderate and physically challenging hike. Lots of mosquitos on the main island (pack a pump repellant because the airlines don't allow you to pack aerosol pesticides but maybe you could get away with a pump?). I went without mosquito spray and regretted it with my only savior that there was a lot of mud to put on my skin. The jet skiis were also worth every penny. You can't take them out on your own (you have to go with a tour) but they are small. Ours was only us and another couple. You get to see all of Bora Bora and gives you a better perspective of the entire place. Plus the guide makes a nice impromptu meal with local fresh pineapple and coconut. If the weather was better, we would have done the jet skiing more than once. The village trip I would skip unless you are adament to buy something there. You can basically see everything in 20 minutes or less but they excursion is hours! So my husband and I ended up waiting on a bench until our ride took us back by boat. It's pretty cool but also pretty third world in the sense that we tried walking the roads to get a sence of the village but they are so narrow, with pot holes and no real place for pedestrians that we decided it probably wasn't a good idea to walk as we were afraid of getting hit by cars. We had also reserved to do ATV and sunset cruise but those were canceled due to weather conditions. Make sure you do some reasearch on what the weather will be like when you're there! Because not only do they cancel excursions, but they also close down some of the restaurants.

9. Remoteness. Have you ever watched "The Couples Retreat" when Vince Vaughn asks how you get off the island (yes, this resort is where they filmed this), and the butler replies essentially that, "you don't." This is true. Don't worry if you haven't seen this movie cause they have it on a loop for free in your room and I tell you it gets funnier everytime you watch it! But note that you can't walk from this Resort to the other resorts on the motu; it is physically closed off by lagoon barriers, etc. Further, they don't allow you to take their kayaks (free) beyond the buoys of the Resort. So although they have some nice walking paths and the Resort is fairly big, you get the full view of this place in a day. So pay for the excursions to go to main island (hiking), jetskiing, or ATV riding. They also offer free bikes but again, your riding trails are limited to the same walking ones and you can bike ride this in 10 minutes. Also beware that these are not new bikes but the classic version of your "coasting bike" some better than others; so pick the one that best suits you but know that since you have to turn them in everyday at 5pm, that you may get a bumb bike on another day.

10. Sickness. They don't have pepto or aspirin or something as simple as Advil in their stores. In Tahiti this kind of stuff you have to buy in their pharmacy which have short hours and are hard to find. I got plane sickness from the LA to Papeete trip and my husband had a heck of time finding something to alleviate that. So if you do anything at all, pack your own emergency medical kit!

11. Price. We got our deal thru Costco and I highly recommend using that. Our resort price came with free Breakfast which saved us some money. They only thing we had to buy outside of Costcos package was the plane ride to and from Los Angeles (but remember you have to book a flight that gets to LA at least 3 hours prior to departure!). The activities and the food there aren't cheap so if you want to at least do some of the activities be prepared to pay a few hundred to do it. The resort gives you free water once a night and they have a fridge where you can store it and keep it cold (for no extra price). However, if you go to the free gym as my husband and I did before breakfast, they have free bottled water there and fruit and you can take to your room and stock up. Because the 2 free bottles of water a night goes quickly with the heat and activities (and they are expensive). Sometimes we found that people would "raid" the gym and we wouldn't have water, but they do stock mid day so you just have to figure out when they do this and go back and snag a water, fruit, or snack.

12. Gym. Do not go to St. Regis with high expectations of their gym. It is antiquated and has very little equipment along with the fact that they have only one treadmill which I found to be too slippery to actually walk fast on. They do have free weights there, clean towels, and a few pieces of equipment that are still useful if thats all you have to choose from. So if you're hugely into your pick and choose of gym equipment, be set to get your workouts somewhere else (like kayaking or swimming).

13. Language. Everyone there speaks French Polynesian. Some of the wait staff at the Hotel would look at us with glazed faces when we asked them questions in English (which is understandable). Being the dumb non bi-lingual Americans that we are, we went to Bora Bora without any knowledge of the language but by the time we left at least knew how to say hello, thank you and goodbye. Most everyone at the Resort and on the island as well as the guides for the excursions all speak English. However, some of the wait staff and room service people clearly don't. The trick is just to find the same people within the restaurants and talk to them about questions/interpretations and they are happy to help; no condescention on their part at all!

14. Food. The hotel has a good variety of food choices. They have their main restaurant which is where you eat your free buffets and lunches and dinners (not buffets). They also have their bar which has the basic bar food and that is open pretty much everyday too. The bar is good to go if you want a free snack too because if you just order drinks they bring you some delicious chips, olives, etc. They also have a sushi bar with a good variety but their times and dates open vary. Lastly, they have a fancy french restaurant there, but again, they are only open certain days so plan this in advance. You can go to the fancy restaurant for happy hour but their specialty drinks are limited. I did prefer the Thyme drink and their wasabi nuts were completely addictive, but note, if you eat in their restaurant they don't give you these yummy treats.

Room Tip: We paid extra to have the deluxe bungalo along the pier but I can say that the bungalos along the ma...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank stephhopeh
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just came back from Bora Bora last week, stayed at St.Regis for 6 nights. Wonderful service and HUGE room.

They have free snorkel gear that you can borrow for your stay at the resort so you don't have to bring your own. Lots of free activities at the resorts. Must visit the fish feeding M/W/F at 1030am at the resort's lagoonarium, bring your snorkel gear there so you can swim afterward. there's a lot of fishes there to see. Is a bit far from our room so you can always ask for a pick up service to go there.

Must try the Lagoon restaurant (rice cracker-crusted tuna is REALLY good) (reservation recom' for Lagoon & Sushi take, they are always busy).

Get your black pearls at Bora Bora instead of Tahiti, not sure if this is true.. but the store owner at the Papeete airport told us there's no tax refund for buying pearls on Papeete but when we buy our pearl in Bora Bora, all the shops will help you prepare for the doc needed for tax refund. souvenir/black pearl at the Papeete airport's duty free sucks.. the price are more expensive than buying them at Vaitape.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank S P
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just recently came back from Bora Bora, I did not realize how easy it
is to get here, most Americans believe Bora Bora is halfway around the
world, with this misconception, its fascinating that you do not even cross the
dateline, therefore you will actually gain hours going towards this direction
coming from the US.
It is feasible to stay at the St Regis Bora Bora for 5 nights
and really have five nights and get 6 full days... taking
advantage of the Pay 4 stay 5 and not have to waste a day or two for
travel time. Our travel agent, coordinated a redeye flight from LAX
to arrive early morning to catch the morning flight to Bora Bora, it
is so convenient with this flowy itinerary with the interisland
flights and transfers well coordinated.
The St Regis Bora Bora truly caters to the honeymooners with the romantic
adult pool with cabanas and the Lagoon Restaurant table for two
sunset seating. With their impecable 5 diamnond service ,you really feel like
royalty. Geri Miller ,our travel agent with Tahiti Discount Travel
in Newport Beach California, highly recommended this resort for my special
10th Anniversary trip. She calls it "OMG" island and the resort's
Couples Retreat package gave us a free upgrade to the Premier Overwater
with amazing view of the Otemanu Mountain and with Jacuzzi. The resort's VIP
treatment and also thanking her for throwing in the Jet Ski excursion -a must in
Bora Bora, all really WOWed me and
best of all...especially my wife :)

Room Tip: Overwater bungalows with Mountainview a must and end private unit
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jeff h
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Premier overwater bungalows #106 and #107 for five nights. Huge bungalows with outstanding view of the mountain from your deck, your living room and your bed.

Service service service. Dial 9 on your phone 24 hours a day and the butler service is available. We ordered pizza at midnight, a six pack of beer a few nights, and golf cart delivery to dinner several nights.

This is a dream resort. The spa, lagoonarium, and all restaurants are outstanding. I highly recommend.

I just returned from an outstanding 11 day moorea & bora bora combo. Definitely use customtahiti.com. They are super professional, have excellent knowledge and relationships with the hotels and airlines and planned absolutely everything for us. I couldn't be more satisfied.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank 248JulieJ248
Reviewed March 15, 2013

It's been a month now, since me and my hubby returned from our 10 day stay in French Polynisia, and I still think about it every day! (We stayed at the St. Regis Feb. 11-15 2013) I feel it's very necessary for me to write this review, because I used trip advisor for the first time, while planning this completely out of this world, vacation. We have travelled on eight vacations in our 12 years of marriage, and this vacation, by far, has been the BEST!! The scenery of Bora Bora, is like nothing we have ever seen before! And the St. Regis was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. From the moment the staff pick you up at the airport, in a beautiful yacht, they treat you like a celebrity! Really nice:-) We got the luxury of staying in a private, 2000 sq. ft ocean front villa , with mountain views and our own private pool(#406) for 2 nights and 2 nights in a deluxe, mountain view OWB. We actually preferred the private villa. It was sooo secluded. We felt like we were on our own private island. But we were glad that we tried both. What's Bora Bora without the OWB expirience?:-) I packed floatys from home, and we hung out on them all day, just looking at the amazing surroundings. I would highly recommend you do the same, if u have the room in your luggage.We also packed a foldable cooler from home, and bought beer at the grocery store on each of the islands we were on, and saved a lot of money!(beats paying $10 a beer at the bar)especially if ur a drinker!! Also stock up on liquor in LAX, and make mixed drinks. We brought some insulated coffee mugs and they kept our drinks nice and cold! Also, if u wanna save money, bring snacks from home. We brought jerky, chips and granola bars. Snacks would keep us going so we didn't have to have lunch. We would just have an early dinner. The buffet breakfast at the St. Regis, was phenomenal! Crepes, Belgium waffles, omlettes all on demand! Everything was soo fresh. We never got tired of breakfast. And the staff was so wonderful, always smiling and treating us like royalty. Anything we wanted, they would get us. The Lagoon resteraunt, was extraordinary! The setting in front of the mountain,on the water,made it the most romantic place,to ever have dinner! And the food was wonderful as well. We also had massages at the Miri Miri spa, and they were so great! The whole ambiance of the entire hotel, was so romantic! We were very nervous about going in February, cause its rainy season, but for us, Canadians, getting away from the -30s, February was the best time to go. The weather was great! A few showers, but they would pass after 20 mins. Maybe we just lucked out!:-)This place is some where, that every body should visit! It's like the Eighth Wonder Of The World! We booked this once in a life time vacation, with Jennifer from Pacific For Less and she made this vacation something that we will remember forever! Thank you Jennifer! And Thank you St. Regis! Your staff was wonderful, and are the reason we will be back again! Very pricy, but worth every penny!

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank PattiMartushev
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I have had the absolute pleasure of vacationing at this dreamlike resort not once but TWICE! Our first visit was in 2007 when it had just recently opened, then most recently this past August for a special anniversary trip.

It is an absolutely perfect resort situated, literally, in the middle of the most beautiful lagoon on earth!

We stayed at the resort for five nights (we did have a room change midway through due to plumbing issues but it was handled swiftly and we loved the second room so it was really not a major issue at all!). The rooms are huge, with ample living space and equally ample outdoor living space (which we took great advantage of!). On our last trip we stayed in a beach bungalow which are also fantastic!

Is the resort expensive? In theory, yes. But what you are getting is so very extraordinary it is well worth every penny spent. Not to mention, if you make good use of your room, all of the amazing water sports available at no charge, anytime (including the Hobie Cat, kayaks, SUP etc) it seems like more of a value. While we did eat all of our meals at the resort (a mix of room service, which is extraordinary with it's set up and SO romantic on your bungalow deck, Lagoon and Sushi Take). We did go into town and purchase some well consumed Rose and Champagne from the local market. Plenty to choose from and always nice to spend a bit of time on the main island but we simply couldn't tear ourselves away from the resort to eat in town.

Whether it's jumping into the lagoon from our deck to swim with the eagle rays, sipping red wine on our deck at night looking up to the countless stars, snorkeling with the incredible array of fish in the lagoonarium or waking up in the morning to a breathtaking sunrise, followed by the delicious breakfast buffet, worked off by a jaw droppingly beautiful kayaking journey, it seems as if every moment has it's own splash of magic in it.

We also went diving with Bora Bora dive company and had one of the most memorable days of our lives!

We can't wait to return for our third trip and are quite certain it will be soon!

The ONLY negative I really can share is that SO many people seem to use a particular travel agent (mentioned in nearly every post on here!) and I feel they are more apt to get upgrades than those of us who do not use them. We are elite status with Starwood so it is best for us to always book directly through the resort, which we did, and we were not upgraded (until ironically we encountered the plumbing issue). I understand why this is but as return guests and Starwood elite an upgrade would have been nice but of course not expected. That said, there is simply NO bad room at this resort, we are on cloud nine wherever we are at this perfect French Polynesian paradise and dream of our (hopefully very soon!) return!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple