“almost perfect resort but wow it was gorgeous!”

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is phenomenally beautiful. Every shade of blue you can even imagine was there! But let's start at the beginning.

After almost 2 years worth of research and speaking with several travel agents, we went with Custom Tahiti. And really there was two reasons we picked them versus other travel agencies including Pacific for Less was 1) They returned calls and emails promptly (I don't expect a return email or call within minutes but within one day is nice, some travel agents didn't return a call for several days), 2)No matter how I crunched the numbers, Custom Tahiti had the best deal with the most perks.
Jackie at Custom Tahiti was awesome! We were originally set to go in May of 2012 but had to reschedule the DAY before we were suppose to leave because my 3 year old broke her arm! The way Jackie and Richard at Custom Tahiti handled all the arrangements with the hotels, transportation, and our flights were incredible. They kept in contact with me and took care of everything. Thank you Jackie and Richard for such a wonderful job!

Getting to paradise is a bit of a pain but well worth it. You will fly into Tahiti and then fly to whatever island you are staying at. We went to Taha'a first and loved it. Very different from Bora Bora but lovely. We took a helicopter from the resort to St. Regis and I say this is well worth it! We got to see some awesome waterfalls that the earlier rain caused and the approach to the hotel by air was unforgettable!

Once we landed at the St. Regis, we were greeted by the wonderful Marion who I had emailed back and forth for almost a year about our vowel renewal. She is really a detail oriented young woman who made us feel like we were really taken care of. I can't say enough about what an excellent job Marion did, not only on our ceremony but she made herself available to us during our entire stay. Thank you so much Marion for your hard work and kindness!

We were upgraded from a Superior to a Deluxe bungalow (thanks Jackie at CT) and wow, those bungalows were beautiful and huge! We had a beautiful welcome treat and champagne when we arrived. The resort itself like everyone has mentioned is very big. We had no problems getting rides in golf carts and we rode the bikes here and there when we felt like it. We hung out most our days by the Oasis pool which has several private cabanas with telephones you can order food from. There was usually no one there and we had it to ourselves. There are tons of activities you can do on the beach but most everyone just chilled by the pool or by the beach. We did snorkel in the Lagoonarium and saw some interesting fish we haven't seen anywhere else. It's an easy place to snorkel because it's man made and closed in. There is an absence of beautiful coral but plenty of fish. We also had couple's massage (thanks again to Jackie at CT) that we extended from 50 minutes to 80 minutes at the spa. They were remodeling the spa when we were there so we had our massage in one of the private pool villas which was very cozy and nice. Great massage too. Everyone was very friendly and service overall was great. The grounds were beautiful always but the color of the water was what was most impressive. The pictures and words can not describe how beautiful that place is! People ask us was it worth the flight time and money to go there and we always answer, "yes, the pictures just don't do it justice."

Here are some tips:
Every bungalow was very nice, if you HAVE to have a view of Mt Otemanu, go for it! If not the Superior bungalows are great even though they don't face the mountain. There was a superior bungalow that every day a bunch of eagle rays hung out under! I have to say there were at least 10-15 of them!

Also you might have read that the food and drinks are expensive in Bora Bora. I have to agree with everyone but I have to say that it is less expensive outside of the St. Regis. We had breakfast included in our package (thanks again Jackie!) which was an excellent array of choices including made to order eggs. My husband had eggs benedict every day and loved them! I'm not sure how much the breakfast buffet cost every day but I heard someone next to us say 90 dollars was ridiculous for 2 people for breakfast! We had burgers and sandwiches by the oasis pool and it cost 95 dollars for them plus one iced coffee and a dessert. We had a beautiful dinner on the beach that you can have St. Regis make for you and the pre fixed menu came from the Lagoon Restaurant. The food was good and the atomosphere with the stars out, candles lit around your table, and the flowers was so romantic. The rice encrusted tuna was AWESOME! Also we ate at Lagoon one night and at the Japanese Restaurant. Lagoon was pretty good, we had a table right by the water as the sun was setting behind the mountain. The fish my husband had was delicious and my tuna was great! I had a mojito and we shared a dessert. Again not sure exactly how much this would have been because it was included with our package. The Japanese Restaurant was ok, if you really love asian food and are use to eating great asian food, I think it might disappoint a little. We had an appetizer and 2 entrees and it was roughly around 150 dollars. Our best meal was Villa Mahana outside of the resort in Bora Bora. Excellent atmosphere and delicious food! Wish we went there twice during our stay. Make those reservations way in advance for sure!

We hung out at the resort most of the time but we did take a couple of trips outside. We did a Reef Discovery tour we set up before we arrived the island. It was fun and we got to see a couple of Manta Rays! Also we did a private tour through the hotel who set it up with Maohi Nui. Patrick our guide was great! I highly recommend both tours!

Overall our stay was excellent because the staff was friendly and the resort was beautiful. There were minor things that needed fixing like there were a couple pieces of wood missing from outside of our window in our bungalow and not being able to use the spa facility was a bit annoying. But you are in paradise and everything else seemed to not to matter:) Oh, and I would NOT recommend doing the polynesian buffet and show at St. Regis. It definitely was not worth the money and we thought the dancers were going to twirl fire but it ended up the dancers just did a little dance and got people in the audience to join in. For 300 dollars the food wasn't great. They close Lagoon on that night so plan on going outside of the resort for dinner. I did hear from a couple who stayed at the Four Seasons that their polynesian show was great with fire!

I would highly recommend getting a travel agent for your trip. The ones that specializes in French Polynesia will get you the best deals. They usually can beat Expedia, Costco, and AMEX travel. Jackie at Custom Tahiti is fabulous!

For those who are struggling with St. Regis or Four Seasons, either is awesome! But I do think next time we go, we will go to Four Seasons just for comparison:)

Room Tip: deluxe was great if you want a view of the mountain but superior is exactly the same bungalow except...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank suzimac2001

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband surprised me 2 years ago and took me to Bora Bora. We had an amazing time. The views were incredible. The over the water rooms we stayed in were breath taking. It was so romantic.. Our butlers were very accomodating. I really want to go back to Bora Bora. We went on some excursions like swimming with the sharks and snorkeling and seeing the most beautiful fish.. We met another couple from our state and keep in touch with them. We also met a well known actor and his wife and we all went to dinner and had so much fun, I would say though that in the resort itself the service at the bars and restaurants need some help. They just take so long to make anything or even acknowledge your presence. But there were so many other amazing things that made up for that service. I want to go back....

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

During the period of 2013 Feb 5th and 9th, my wife and I spent our honeymoon at ST.REGIS BORABORA; A supposed to be a beautiful start of our marriage was completely destroyed by the ST.REGIS BORABORA incompetent housekeepers and hotel managers.
Though our stay at ST.REGIS BORABORA as “honeymooners” was accepted at booking, no champagne nor flower-bed appeared until the final night of our stay and which was after our remind to the hotel staff.
On Feb 6th, the garbage bin was not emptied after the “turndown” service, which was the least the ST. REGIS BORABORA’s problem.
On Feb 7th, the housekeeper finished her “turndown” service by leaving all the fresh towers on the counter by the front door and the rest of the room “completely unattended”. After our complaint to the night-supervisor, the room was properly cleaned for the first and the last time during our stay.
On Feb 8th, there is only one bath-tower in the bathroom instead of the normally four, which happens to be the collaboration of our housekeeper and the her supervisor…allegedly
On Feb 9th, a sum of 8 guests had been arranged by the hotel staff to check out at 11:00am and take ST.REGIS’S ferry at 11:30am for the 12:30pm flight, but due to the lateness of ST.REGIS’s new-arrivals the leaving-guests didn’t board the ferry until 12:00noon which caused us late for our flight; rearrangements had to be made with the airline. During this period of delay (while we were still at the dock of ST REGIS BORABORA), no explanations, nor apologies were made... (we were also been told by the airline staff that they had contacted ST.REGIS BORABORA after they had realized our lateness, but no responses were given)
At last, ST.REGIS BORABORA’S activity-booking staffs were also unprofessional; we had been told versions of information regarding an activity and none of them could be described as accurate.

29  Thank WENHUA C
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Wonderful resort, extremely well maintained.
Very friendly staff, excellent cuisine. Good wine list
Beach service is perfect, and the view is amazing. The Lagoon with all kind of fishes is a must.
Definetively a 5 star Resort
Will go back anytime.

Room Tip: Villa 118, wonderful view and privacy
1  Thank Osvaldo S
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place is fantastic! Larger, more spread out resort with huge lagoonarium with a gazillion fish, shark area, beautiful beach lagoon, fantastic over water bungalows and great food. They even have private villas if you are movie star famous! Everything was ridiculously fabulous! We went right before rainy season and the resort was only 28% capacity and was gloriously quiet. Best vacation ever! Views were stunning and the water is unimaginably turquoise. Weather was perfect. They have first come first serve bikes everywhere for easy access or you can call the concierge and get a golf cart to pick you up. Can go to mainland for dinner and restaurant will send cab to meet you at the dock after hotel boat drops you off. Everything you ever wanted and more in one vacation. You can be as busy as you want with sight seeing or as lazy and quiet as you wish. Suits all types of vacationers.

Room Tip: All rooms are fantastic. If you can afford it get one with its own pool on the deck. They have sev...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LisaCTS
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 nights in September after a week at La Tahaa'. This is by far the best resort in all of Bora Bora.

Resort- the resort is spread out and the bikes they offer each morning are great. They take the bikes around 4pm from outside of your room if you aren't using them so plan accordingly for dinner. It was always a nice walk before and after dinner. The grounds are beautifully kept.

Spa- the spa was slightly outdated and needed a little sprucing up but the treatments are great. We did massages at the spa and also in our room.

Food- breakfast was great everyday and I never got sick of it. The sushi restaurant was actually our favorite, everything was really fresh. We ate twice at the Lagoon restaurant and it was amazing both times. One night we sat inside and watched the sharks swim under us and another night we sat on the deck and threw bread to the fish.

Room- the rooms were HUGE and really great layout. We loved how the bathrooms have sliding windows that open to the bedroom area. We didn't do a lot of swimming off our deck, the current is a little strong and it wasn't that interesting of a swimming area. We also had solid rain for 4 out of 7 days in early September. We did have cockroaches in our room. I never saw one alive but my husband stepped on a live one in the middle of the night one night an there was also one on his pillow one night. He didn't tell me until we checked out and I mentioned it to the front desk and they were very sweet and took $300 off. I live in NYC and understand that cockroaches are a thing of life and you can't get them off a tropical island. They seem to do evrythibg they can to keep them to a minimum.

Activities- I would strongly recommend the shark and sting ray snorkeling . Such a memorable activity, lots of fun. We also went to Villa Mahana and had a really nice time.

If you are going to Bora Bora this is the place to be and worth the splurge. We averaged approx $1500 a day for all meals, drinks, activities and spa appts. We honesty spared no expense and did everything the way you always dream of on a honeymoon, you could probably scale it back but still expect an average of $800-$1200 per day on top of your room.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Jesikate
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Very nice hotel. The staff did everything they could to please us. After the first day, they knew us by name. Rooms were the best I've ever seen. Only downside was that they had several new staff from France just after Christmas, learning the ropes. No issues though.

Room Tip: All over water 1 room bungalows are the same. Price is based on view. Can't really see the isl...