“Relaxing”

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Great place and staff. Very quiet and relaxing.The lagoon restaurant was just fatastic. The only down side was we felt that the manager had taken his 'eye off the ball' a little as one or two things could do with a little general maintenance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank quicksteptodance

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The St. Regis Bora Bora was literally a dream. We were greeted with tea and a private tour of the resort grounds. We were upgraded from one bungalow to a nicer one. The food was outstanding, service was outstanding, it was peaceful and everything you could want in a vacation. The only downside was how expensive it was. I don't think I will ever experience a more expensive hotel, but I knew this going into booking the trip. I doubt the other hotels are much cheaper anyways. I highly highly recommend staying here, especially if you want a trip that cannot be beat.

Room Tip: Splurge on an over water bungalow- it's worth it
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carly D
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Pacific for less was great and we got a decent deal through Claudia - thanks ! Perhaps it was the rainy season, out of 8 days there, we only had 1.5 days of sun, but all in all, a bit disappointing... (Vote goes to Maldives as a whole).

We were there for our honeymoon and while we enjoyed the trip overall, everything there was just not as new and nice as expected and frankly, very overpriced. Cocktails were 25 USD, Burgers/Pasta were easily 30-40USD, just really wasn't worth it. The actual island and lagoon/sea was breathetakingly blue and beautiful but at a very expensive price !

The bungalows are big but a bit rundown, bicycles are not guaranteed so it's first come first serve(and had no brakes!). Service is good tho, people very nice.

Ok to miss:
Japanese restuarant in the hotel - very disappointing, served sake in a tea cup!
Jean George - didn't try personally but spoke to other honeymooners and travellers there and no one really strongly recommended it.

Worth checking out:
Feeding and snorkelling in the lagoon, lots of fun!
Going out to Island for dinners - vast choices and the restaurants will pick you up from the dock
Villa Mahana - in particular was a beautiful surprise for french cuisine, hubby and wife partnership in running the restaurant, wonderful experience and yummy food. Not cheap at all but completely worth the money
Taking the sail boat out around the cove
Joining Ranui Tours for day trip to snorkel and feed the sting rays and sharks... this tour is not on the hotel list but definitely worth contacting on your own... better rates and smaller group!

4  Thank sirk32
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I traveled to French Polynesia for our honeymoon about 2.5 years ago. We booked our trip through Claudia with Pacific for Less. Claudia knows her stuff and put together a fabulous and unforgettable honeymoon experience that my husband and I will cherish forever. (We still talk about it frequently, even though 2.5 years have gone by) We started our trip in Moorea, then on to La' Tahaa, with a grand finale at the St. Regis, Bora Bora. Claudia was right when she said to save Bora Bora for last. We honestly had an incredible time in both Moorea and La'Tahaa, so it is not as if either island is better than the other. There is just something so luxe and special about the St. Regis in Bora Bora that it made sense to save it for last. The water in Bora Bora looks like a screen saver! It's incredible to think it is all natural. The hotel itself is insanely beautiful. It's large, yet feels so intimate and private. Perfect for a honeymoon or romantic getaway. We stayed in a beautiful over the water bungalow that was upgraded thanks to Claudia and Pacific for Less. Claudia was also able to secure us a romantic dinner on the beach for two as well as a couples massage at the Miri Miri spa. If you are planning on traveling to French Polynesia and want to have the very best and still manage your budget you must book through Claudia and Pacific for Less! We cannot say enough good things about her or our honeymoon experience. We look forward to returning to French Polynesia in the future and we will absolutely use Claudia again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lauren C
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife Cassandra and I just spent the Holidays at the St. Regis in Bora Bora. They picked us up at the airport on their yacht for the 30 minute ride to the sesort which is only accessible by boat or helicopter. We had an amazing over water bungalow with sections of glass floors to watch the fish, super spacious bath & shower areas and a deck atop the lagoon. We first saw the resort in the Vince Vaughn comedy "Couple's Retreat". Funny enough, they have a channel that show that film 24/7 on the giant flat screen TVs.
There was plenty of complimenatary entertainment- Kayaking, Stand Up Paddleboard, Snorkelling, Biking(Everyone bikes around the resort) & Volleyball We enjoyed a coconut milking demonstration and the locals taught us how to make a fresh Poisson Cru dish (raw fish marinated in coconut milk & lime...D-Licious! Our favorite was Champagne sabering & free champagne on Christmas Eve. That night we went to Lagoon restaurant. It was the best meal we've ever had - an 11 course French Masterpiece. We didn't think a $600 meal without alcohol was possible until it happend that night....but it's a once in a lifetime experience. The breakfast buffet was magnificent and the Sushi restaurant was superb.
On Christmas morning we had our brekkie delivered by island locals on a kayak to our bungalow. Later that day Santa Claus arriver on a jet ski with gifts for the guests. This was the most amazing resort we have ever stayed at- absolutely gorgeous!!!

Sean Rox
Ocean City, MD

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a bad room- our was the least expensive offering (slightly over $1000/n...
3  Thank Sean R
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The location is absolutely picture perfect, the OWBs are massive, private and extremely luxurious, and the bed is to die for. The water is unbelievable and the private decks on the OWBs of course afford a most unique experience. Breakfast and room service were also great! Complimentary bikes were also great!

I hate giving this place a 3 as I'm sure it's the embodiment of many people's fantasy vacations. That said, having traveled extensively in 30 some countries, the St. Regis just fell short of our expectations, especially given the price and the brand. When we arrived in our room, we had complimentary champagne and pastries waiting for us that were covered in ants. Even after our butler cleaned this up, there were still ants lingering around. Bugs in the tropics are normal but you would think the St. Regis would at least double check before welcoming guests into a room.

The service seemed to be amazing and over the top but actually wasn't. Our butler was very attentive but almost too attentive -- it's hard to relax when people are ringing your bell every 5 minutes to make sure that everything is OK. On the other hand, when our butler went away for the weekend (which we didn't know in advance), I called one evening to turn on the "do not disturb" signal. The next day, when our room hadn't been cleaned, I realized they must have left the signal on and so I called them to please send someone to clean the room. Our room was never cleaned, despite numerous requests, and we only had a nightly turndown service. It is simply unacceptable to go 2 days without a room cleaning at a place like this, especially given the bug situation.

We were there right before the Xmas holidays, and there seemed to be a high turnover in staff as there were several new people in training. Service - at the restaurants and beach area - was good but not exceptional. (Again, this is FRENCH Polynesia so of course service culture is going to be a bit lacking, but considering this is the St. Regis, one would expect otherwise...) Also, the spa was under renovation when we were there but we had a service in the makeshift spa which was very good but not exceptional.

Food. The food was so heavy that I could barely stand to eat 3 meals a day. I am normally a complete gourmande and I remember sitting in the Jean Georges restaurant disgusted by the thought of eating even an appetizer.

The lagoonarium was contrived and seemed a bit polluted (especially in comparison to the natural snorkeling available nearby). The tours from the hotel are totally overpriced and overly touristy. Also, the marine life in/around Bora is nothing compared to that of the atolls. If this is the only place you are going to in FP, it's worth checking out the manta ray and shark feeding.

It is worth coming to Bora Bora for the beautiful landscape. If you are happy coming to a place with a Disneyland resort feel, sitting on the beach and doing nothing, this is the place for you. Also, I'm not sure if the FS is any better so this might be your best option. If you have a more adventurous spirit, you will be bored here. Come for a day or two just to experience it and then move on to the atolls (Rangiroa was absolutely amazing).

Note: It rained for much of our trip and this could have influenced our experience here. That said, we got to know the hotel really well as a result...

Room Tip: Worth getting a room facing Mt. Otemanu if you can... we regretted not doing so. in general, for the...
8  Thank cantakavita
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent a week in Bora Bora before flying to Maui on our two week honeymoon. When we went to book, there was no availability for the first half of our Bora Bora trip, so we stayed at the Hilton Bora Bora for the first three days and then transferred to the St. Regis for the next three. Though we were disappointed at first, as we really wanted to stay the entire time at St. Regis, it ended up being great because it gave us different views of the main island, variety in restaurants and activities and different snorkeling. I honestly don't think I could have stayed at either of them for a full week without going stir-crazy.

In contrast to the Hilton Bora Bora, the St. Regis staff was largely imported from elsewhere, so we didn't feel the culture as much. We were greeted off the boat by mosquitoes and a vanilla green tea, which I loved. We were then given a tour of the property and dropped off at our OWB. Fortunately the mosquitoes were only near the entrance and didn't bother us the rest of the time.

The St. Regis property was much larger than the Hilton, making it hard to get around without a ride on a golf cart. Our butler Carmen was very helpful and offered to unpack and pack for us among other things. My wife had an allergic reaction on the last day resulting in hives (we think from dinner the night before). Carmen sent someone to the main island to fetch her medicine. **IMPORTANT NOTE** They don't have Benadryl or other antihistamines in Bora Bora. Since you're probably going to eat food much different than your typical fare (different fish, and most protein items raw or much less cooked than in America), I'd recommend taking Benadryl with you in the event of an allergic reaction. Another thing they don't carry at Chin Lee's is shaving cream for women, so don't forget your shaving cream, ladies.

We were upgraded to a premiere overwater bungalow because we couldn't book there the entire trip. One word: amazing. The whole design and architecture in the OWB was something out of a magazine. As another reviewer stated, there was an espresso maker in the unit, which is awesome, and was also true of the Hilton Bora Bora and the Le Meridien in Papeete, Tahiti.

I had prepped myself to see water bugs in the unit (aka cockroaches) based on reviews that I read before going. Having parents and a brother that live at the beach in North Carolina, I know that "water bugs" are simply a part of life when you live near the ocean. When we first entered the unit there was one large cockroach near the bed, freshly dead that I disposed of. A day or two later I found another smaller one, also dead, by the coffee maker. Though disgusting, at least they were dead, so they must spray the places regularly as a preventative.

We ate at the main restaurant one night for dinner (Te Pahu) and also the Lagoon Restaurant one night. Te Pahu was pretty good and reasonably priced. The Lagoon Restaurant was amazing. Our table was inside over a glass bottom where we could watch the sharks swim under us. I said to my wife, "I feel bad for the chef, because he has to compete with this amazing ambiance." I am a huge foodie and the starter almost made me cry because it was such a harmonious blend of flavor and texture. Probably the best thing I've ever eaten. It was worthy of applause.

There wasn't much in way of snorkeling compared to Hilton. Apparently the St. Regis side of the island doesn't have much fish, so don't count on seeing much. On the other hand, it means that the water is crystal clear and you can see straight to the bottom. They do have a lagoonarium which offers a way to get in the water with fish without the dangers of the sea (urchins).

I can see where others are coming from comparing the $$$ to what it gets you elsewhere. You have to remember, you're in the middle of the ocean where just about everything but fish comes in on a ship. Prices are going to be higher. We had a really great time and thought it was worth the money for a once in a lifetime experience. It was hard to leave.

Room Tip: Premiere OWB have unobstructed view of mountain and are closer to the pools and resort. We stayed i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple