“Breathtaking.”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Hawaii
“Breathtaking.”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

A late review but I have to say the St Regis is a must. From its stunning views of the water and mountain to the attentive staff and mouthwatering food. Upon arrival we were greeted by our butler and shown the grounds. Even though tired from travelling, we greatly appreciated this tour as it helped us remember locations and plan out what we would like to do each day. Once shown to our villa we were greeted with a french champagne dear to my heart and further attentiveness from our butler in order to confirm special nights that we had pre-booked.

Our villa directly overlooked Mount Otemanu and it was wonderful. Bigger than our apartment and luxurious too, we enjoyed pulling open the curtains and waking each morning to a spectacular view. Coffee on the deck with the warm breeze on our faces was an indulgence to remember.

Good food is important to us and we really enjoyed what we were offered. As well as eating at Kaina Hut and Villa Mahana, we frequented the below in-house restaurants too.

Lagoon Restaurant:
Superb location overlooking the mountain with knowledgeable waiters for wine recommendations for all budgets and impeccable attention from the staff. We recommend booking a table outside for sunset views with Mount Otemanu looking over you. Our meal was so good - french inspired with delicious ingredients. Even a drink on the deck before our dinner on the beach was just so relaxing. Love it.

TePahu:
Breakfasts are served here are great and comprise of a buffet including beautiful crisp pastries, breads to make your mouth water and the usual assortment of hot and cold foods. We asked for eggs benedict on one occasion which was delicious and just the right portion size. Over looking the beach, it is a perfect way to finish waking up to the fragrant sunny mornings. Weekends include the Blood Mary Ritual where you can pour your own. Dinner in the evening was good with lovely staff (Melady) and mediterranean/asian inspired courses.

Activities we enjoyed included cayaking, snorkelling in the St Regis lagoonarium (pretty!) and of course massages in their Spa. The adult-only pool was a nice retreat with private cabanas and at this time of the year, they were not very busy. We really recommend booking at least one excursion or activity - we booked privately with Damian and cannot recommend him enough.

Concierge at the St Regis is top-notch. Anything we had to query or organise was dealt with promptly and efficiently with much advice and recommendations for those not familiar to the area.

*Room for improvement*

One of the areas we feel can be improved would be the Spa. Whilst the treatment was pretty good, the Spa itself leaves a lot to be desired. There was a lack of atmosphere and the ladies changing/waiting area looked dated. The sauna was broken and the outdoor pools on the deck had been covered over. As there are many people booked for the "couples massage", you feel that you are herded in and out with no special attention. They certainly do not want you to linger. We were surprised by this considering how immaculate the rest of the resort is and I personally thought it very disappointing.

Breakfast in the morning in Te Pahu whilst delicious, needs better service from the staff. There is an air of distraction/boredom - some which can kind of permeate your mood in the morning... which is such a shame when in a sunny turquoise-happy environment.

Thanks to Pacific for Less for organising our trip which we had been planning for so long and to St Regis for looking after us so well during our stay.

Room Tip: Book a table by the water at Lagoon for a sunset meal, it is beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VictorianPoppet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2012

This was the last stop of our 3-island honeymoon adventure. My favourite hands down and glad it was our last stop!!!! You will notice the St. Regis difference right at the Bora Bora airport. The representative bought us juices on the house while we waited for other couples to arrive. Then the moment came when we saw the St. Regis yacht. Just as other travellers have noted, it clearly blows away EVERY other hotel boat (Le Meridien being a sad small boat -- which I was suprised about given it's a good hotel - value wise). We didn't however see the Four Seasons boat until our departure -- and given that it is newer, it's very stylish as well.

Arrival - we were warmly greeted with leis by our bulter Eri (Tahitian) who quickly whisked us around the resort in a club car and showed us all the key points. Before leaving us to our Deluxe OWB (free upgrade on top of our already free upgrade from Pacific for Less), he made sure to note all our pre-made reservations (La Villa Mahana, complimentary beach dinner, Lagoon by Jean Georges, complimentary couples massage) and double checked that we were ready to go.

Food -- we tried Lagoon and Te Pahu (beach dinner). Lagoon had a prix fixed menu for Valentine's day so the bill came to 32000 XPF (~ $400 CDN) excluding drinks. Included in that price was a 3 course meal + amuse bouche + end treat + champagne. The waiters were very attentive and served us tons of breads. For the money, we've had better tasting food. We would have loved to try Lagoon on a regular menu night but didn't have enough days with all the other reservations. Beautiful view (can't beat it). Te Pahu beach dinner was free for us but comparing to the quality of the food, we both enjoyed this dinner more than Lagoon (and who can beat free food? :)) Because it was quite windy that evening, they set us up inside but on the edge with a beach view (in case it rained). There were 2 other couples there as well but the staff was smart enough to adorn the place with flowers and statues so that we were not in view of the other 2 couples. Nice touch but so thoughtful! There is also Sushi Take (Japanese restaurant) which we didn't get a chance to try. It looked small from the outside. Aparima Bar offers snacks throughout the day and we had a tasty St. Regis pizza (good for 2) for 3300 XPF (~ $40 CDN). There was free champagne (normally costs $100+) and truffles upon arrival due to our honeymoon package.

Service -- St. Regis butler service here is divine. We got letters/notes daily reminding us of reservations and even one from our butler telling us that he would be off the next day but that we can call butler service anytime. There was a special turndown service for Valentine's day (flower petals on the bed) and every evening, they would have a St. Regis stamped box of Tahitian cookies (different flavour each night) along with a legend/story about the island. On the last night, there was a St. Regis foot mat (?) on each side of the bed. Talk about great treatment! Late checkout was free for us (platinum SPG membership) so it was helpful since our flight was at 5pm. Everywhere you turn, there is someone saying Ia Orana to you and even the hotel guests would smile at a minimum if not say hello. Unlike a previous comment on this forum, not all butlers are Frenchmen. There are various locals that made the place a true Tahiti feel. There is even a Japanese butler (or at least one that spoke Japanese) for the Japanese tourists.

Pools -- soft water apparently. We didn't use them too much as we got enough water on our Reef Discovery excursion and OWB. We only lounged at the Oasis pool which was a few minutes away from our Deluxe OWB. First come first served for this pool and it's adults only (but I only saw one kid at the resort anyhow). The oasis pool is much more private with cabana's that allow you to call for service (phones available).

Mosquitoes -- NONE. I got 13 mosquitoe bites over my entire trip. None from the St. Regis because they spray the resort on Mondays and Thursdays so mosquitoes are rare. For me, that was the best thing! i never saw any bugs in the OWB except for a water bug on the window one day. We always kept the doors closed.

Rooms -- Deluxe OWB as mentioned -- 1550 sq ft of pure elegance (largest of all hotels in Bora Bora). Some small complaints: The sliding doors were a bit warped here and there and there are a few water stains on some areas in the washroom (mirror frames, drawers) but nothing to complain about. You don't notice it unless it's daytime. If you use the soft lighting, you won't notice it. There are windows everywhere that you can open up if you want. Some curtains could use fixing (falling off due to tugging). Privacy screens on the deck but NO sound proofing if you open your doors/windows! :). Surround sound with volume adjusters in every room. Two separate AC adjusters. Ample space including wide hallway. Converters/adapters available upon request. Loofahs included too by the bathtub. Over the top is all I can say! :)

Lagoonarium -- this makes up for the lack of fish around the OWB. You can save yourself some money by just visiting this instead of going on a tour (depends how much of an enthusiast you are about snorkelling). There are a few fish that are about 0.75m long. They are harmless and enjoy swimming at the bottom.

Spa -- quiet, and very out of the way. It is about 30 min walk from end to end of the resort and the spa is at one end. Noticed that this was the only thatched roof in repair that week with a blue tarp on (along with a very discreet renovation going on near reception). Inside the massage room was not that Tahitian like as I would have imagined (not a thatched roof with dark woods). Remember to remind the therapist on the amount of pressure you want! Serene and quiet.

Fitness centre -- our first stop after we arrived :). Complete with AC / water / music / view of the spa with touchscreen treadmills.

Bikes -- first come first served. We took 2 bikes from the spa and a fuming guest chased us down in a club car to tell us that we took hers. It's first come first serve so in my view, if no one is riding it, we can use it. There are phones everywhere to call a club car and they come within 10 minutes so I don't see what the concern is. We did consider bringing bike locks as another commenter here noted but thought it might be too much. It says in the hotel book (in your room) that we need to return bikes to reception by 5pm. The butler service said we didn't have to so we would just leave it outside our room and it would magically all appear by reception/spa the next day.

Boat service to main island -- free several times a day with free taxi on the 10:15AM and 2PM departures. Each trip with the bus shuttle is about 2 hours before they pick you up again. The St. Regis waiting area in the main island has AC and is nicely maintained. Pick up/drop off is at Robert Wan pearl shop (only one bench here). Really dusty in Vaitape and not much to see except for cheap souvenirs, Robert Wan pearls (and other pearl shops), pricey home decor items and Aloe cafe for some cheaper lunch. Banks here have better exchange rates than the resort but it's not much difference unless you are paying cash for big ticket items. Usually credit cards have the best rates anyhow. One trip is enough unless you are going to dinner.

Private motu -- accessible from the Te Pahu restaurant end. To the right of it is the "backyard" of the Royal Estate (13000 sq ft room). You walk over a small bridge to get to it. Quiet place.

Overall, a pricey trip but a must do at least once in your life! Special thanks to Pacific for Less for all the first hand advice, reservations, and hassle free honeymoon planning. Mauruuru!

Room Tip: OWB if you have the budget. The lagoon view is just as great as the mountain view since it's fa...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roamingMonkeys
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2012

This review is a little late but I did not want to miss the opportunity to rave about this gem! In October my husband and I, like many other couples, visited the St. Regis for our honeymoon! Let me tell you it did not disappoint! As Vince Vaughan say in Couple Retreat, it truly is like a screen saver.

Now where to start....

Staff- All the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful! They were attentive to all our needs and provided some of the best service I've received at any hotel! I had a minor incident occur where I needed medical attention, and the staff were all so caring and helped in every way they could!

Grounds/Scenery - The resort is quite large and provides views of the lagoon, ocean, main island and is surrounded by palm trees! Everywhere you turn, there's an incredible view!
Accommodations - We stayed in one of the over-water bungalows facing Mt. Otemanu. Our room was gorgeous (it seemed to be renovated), and our deck was our favourite part of the resort! With our sun chairs, jacuzzi & surround sound music system we had very little need to leave the room during the day!

Lagoonarium - A MUST SEE & THE BEST PART OF THE RESORT!!! It's amazing to see how the St. Regis created such an amazing protected lagoon for it's guest to snorkel and explore. It was such an experience to see all the different fish all in one place without leaving the resort! My husband and I liked to take some bread from breakfast & would feed the fish in the lagoonarium!

Cleanliness - Everything was very clean. A minor issue is Lizards or Geckos can get into the rooms and they do like to do their business where ever they please. Do be aware of this as you may find it on the couch or sink!

Food - This is the only part of the resort that wasn't my favourite. I enjoy the breakfast buffet very much. There is a nice selection and you definitely can find something you like! Lunches were good as well. Dinner's did seem to disappoint us a little bit. We enjoyed our meals on the main island a little more (At Villa Mahana, Bloody Mary's). Our last dinner we enjoyed in our room. I believe they call it the romantic dinner for 2 on the beach or in your room and that was wonderful. There was nothing left on the table at the end of the night! We couldn't have been happier with having that as our lasting memory of the hotel.
Transportation - Having the boat transfer to the main island was great! This is a valuable service as other hotels do charge for the same service!

I plan to return to Bora Bora for an anniversary and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else!
I must also mention that our entire trip was booked through pacificforless.com and the planning was seamless. The whole team was incredibly helpful and friendly! I did receive quote from many travel companies but Pacific-for-Less provided the best packages, best prices & best customer service! Thanks again!

Room Tip: Hut 110 had an amazing view of Mt Otemanu & was not too far of a walk to the main hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We celebrated a very special anniversary at the St. Regis Bora Bora and we could not have chosen a more perfect place! If I had not come down with food poisoning at one of the restaurants on the main island, it would have been the best vacation yet! Unfortunately, I became ill half-way into our 8 day stay, was being bed-ridden for 5 days, and had to be seen by a doctor. It was a very bad case of food poisoning that was contracted from eating under-cooked foie-gras at Villa Mahana, on the main island. I was violently ill within 2-4 hours of our dinner, and it was unrelenting. How horrible it was to become ill from food poisoning while in paradise! The doctor had me on Cipro after a couple of days and it really took me several weeks to fully recover. My own doctor confirmed the food poisoning diagnosis when I returned home, and put me on some effective anti-nausea medication. The whole time I was at the St. Regis, however, they took very good care of me, bringing me ice and ginger-ale, which was really the only thing that I could tolerate. The staff was incredible, especially Frederick Gerday, Emmanuel, and many others. We hope to return again under better circumstances! Before the food poisoning though, we enjoyed all of the water sports at the resort, including jet skiing around the island, and our own private snorkeling trip, where we also swam with the sharks and the rays! This is not to be missed! We also loved the couples massage at the spa and our romantic dinner for two on the beach. One morning, we even had a private canoe breakfast, where they came right up to our over-the-water villa in a canoe. This place is just incredibly beautiful and peaceful, with the best staff you could ever imagine. We will return, hopefully soon! Also, you should book your trip either directly with the resort or with Claudia at Pacific for Less. com. Her prices are the best, and she took wonderful care of us, even after I became very ill. She was always in touch and helped us extend our stay by one day, because I was still too ill to travel. Emmanuel, through the resort's butler services, helped with all of this as well. He even helped with the calls to my travel insurance company, in order to summon a local doctor. Again, he, Frederick, and the whole St. Regis staff were so wonderful to us!

Room Tip: An over-the-water mountain view is incredible!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NYGA2
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed February 9, 2012

we've been to many resorts and travel frequently. this place is maybe the best resort we've ever seen. the beauty, service and quality are over the top. you have to be prepared for quiet and not constant activity. we were here for a week in early feb which is supposed to be the "rainy season". it did rain every night but the days are beautiful. the resort was less than 50% full during our visit. the villas are just wonderful; very comfortable and its fine to just hang out. the food is very good...especially the breakfast buffet which is included. you won't believe it. the spa is a divine little spot. the staff....well, they are in a class by themselves. (you have your own butler...ask for carmen.) everyone remembers your name and the personal nature of the service is very special. i'm not sure this would be the place i'd pick for kids. its more of an adult resort and i could see kids getting a little bored.there was not a single child here during our stay. if you're looking for a very high end and unique place to spend some quality time with your spouse or significant other in very romantic surroundings, this is it. like most things in bora bora, its a little pricey but this is one of those occasions when the experience is actually worth the money.

Room Tip: we had a premier villa...the biggest and best,,,,but they're all good.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank terry h
New York
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed at the St. Regis with our four children for 5 nights. I can honestly say that we felt as if we were living in a dream! It was truly paradise and is the most beautiful place we have ever visited. The grounds were beautiful and the service and staff was top notch! We were impressed from the moment we stepped off the airplane, as we were greeted with such warm hospitality from the St. Regis staff. Our butler was waiting for us as we arrived, ready to tour the resort with us. They made us feel like we were the only ones there, and were attentive to anything we may have needed throughout or stay. Our Royal Overwater Two Bedroom Pool Villa....room 122...was honestly breathtaking! We were the furthest out in the lagoon with a view of the crystal clear blue water and Mt. Otemanu. We had two very spacious bedrooms and bathrooms with a large living room area connecting the two rooms. Our deck was the full length of our whole bungalow with a swimming pool at the edge of the lagoon. We were actually speechless when we arrived! It was like we were looking at a postcard! We felt like we never wanted to leave our bungalow and enjoyed swimming in the lagoon right from our deck. It was truly amazing and exceeded all our expectations!

The lagoon around the resort was so beautiful. We have never seen water with so many different shades of blue! The resort had complimentary kayaks and paddle boats which we enjoyed using several times. Our concierge, Marion, was also extremely helpful, as we booked several excursions through her. Our favorites were the jet skiing tour around the whole island and a boat tour where we went swimming with the stingrays and sharks. One of our favorite parts of the resort was the lagoonarium, where we really enjoyed snorkeling. We were amazed at all the fish and coral we saw! We absolutely loved this resort and would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Bora Bora.

We booked our trip through Claudia and her staff at Pacific for Less. They were absolutely wonderful and were a big part of this amazing trip we experienced. They were professional, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable of French Polynesia and all the resorts. Every detail was covered and went perfectly as planned. She was even able to get us the exact room we requested! We can't say enough great things about Claudia and her staff at Pacific for Less and would highly recommend them to anyone traveling to French Polynesia. They really helped us plan the trip of a lifetime!

Room Tip: Stay in an overwater bungalow facing Mt. Otemamu
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank marik044
Moranbah, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Got upgraded for free to the best over water bungalow in the whole resort, for 2 nights.

Staff helpful. Butler service rocked. Big and luxury bungalows. heaps to do at the resort.

The french resturant rocked

Room Tip: over water bungalow. Go in the low season and your chances of getting upgraded are high.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple