“Captain Bligh...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Laguna Beach, CA, USA
“Captain Bligh...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

...would never have left Tahiti had he stayed at the St Regis. Call us crazy, call us strange, but this was our 3rd stay at the St. Regis Bora. 2009, 2010 and 2011. Why did we come back? Why the 'three-peat'? Perhaps a short quiz to best answer this:

a.) The St. Regis is by far the most beautiful resort in Bora.

b.) The St. Regis is situated on the most breathtaking part of the lagoon.

c.) A myriad of oceanic activities one can embark upon from the hotel.

d.) A revisit the humongous Manta Rays that are a mere 60 seconds from the St. Regis Dock.

e.) Restful luxury after sailing a catamaran around Tahaa and Raiatia for a week.

f.) Mouth-watering French, Tahitian and Indonesian cuisine.

g.) The friendly, warm staff.

h.) We wanted to celebrate our 11th honeymoon by vegetating on the deck of our OWB watching the sunset over Mount Otemanu with endless bottles of CakeBread Cellars.

i.) We missed the endless reruns of 'Couples Retreat'.

j.) All of the above.

If you answered a.) through h.), you are correct.

Not too much left to say after our last review, except things are even better. The management staff continues to attack attention to detail with clam-like tenacity. From the moment we landed on Bora, we never touched our luggage until we were in the room. Cold towels and cold punch waiting for us on the dock. Friendly staff greeting us with warm hugs - many of whom we remembered from the past two years. A personal greeting from Tracey, the VP of Marketing for the St. Regis. A quick golf-cart ride to the room. What we really appreciated was the VIP treatment since this was our third trip back. We won't tell you what they did, you'll have to come back for a 3rd time and find out :) Let's just say that they know how to foster 'loyalty to a resort' if there is such a thing.

Ok, so what was different this time? Let's see....more fish under the OWB's, including tons of Sting Rays. Beautiful sunny weather each and every day. Plenty of bikes, sailboards and hobies. Candlelit dining tables on the St. Regis private beach and on the dock, too. There was no wind this trip, so eating outside at night under the stars was surreal and mega-romantic. All three restaurants open. The Jean George had a menu 'dedicated to spices' for the month of November; simply delicious.

The snorkeling and diving tours continue to impress upon us the undeniable and unbelievable beauty that is Bora Bora. The Manta Rays, reef and lemon sharks and brilliant turquoise waters with hundred-foot visibility. We know that you can eat on the main island blah blah blah, but not for us, since the St. Regis is more beautiful at night than during the day. And fresh 1 kilo lobsters, too!!!

We really, really considered trying the Thalasso or Four Seasons this trip, but just couldn't do it. We've seen them both - and they are 9/10 resorts for sure - but the St. Regis is an 11/10 no doubt.

Our Butler, Emmanuel (yes, you get your own butler) was the kindest and most helpful person you could imagine. He gave us a private tour of the oceanfront and beachfront villas - which are just as beautiful as the OWB's. He checked in on us each day, made dinner reservations and was just a very good soul.

Lastly, as soon as it hits December 1st, we'll be making reservations for our 4th trip to Tahaa and Bora at the St. Regis.

The only thing left to say is that the St. Regis is the ONLY resort we've been to in the world where we didn't want to leave the room. The OWB, the luxury and the other-worldy beautiful, cool blue water. You'll not find this in the Caribbean, Seychelles, Maldives or anywhere else...no way.

To TF and MS - thank you very much!!!

Room Tip: Every room is beautiful!
15 Thank The-Mystic-Bunnies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

Positives:

Spacious modern rooms. You could spend the entire day in your room and feel content. Just be sure to get a room with a mountain view so that when you are lounging on your deck you know you’re in Bora Bora.

Excellent service. Staff is professional. Employees are friendly. Dining staff go out of their way to see to your every need.

Lagoonarium. Not only is their private lagoon picturesque it is filled with plethora of sea life. Everything from large napolean fish to lion fish to moray eels to octopus to countless other fish can be seen up close while snorkeling in the lagoon.

Large sprawling property. Although it may take a while to walk from one side of the property to the other, because it is so large all the guests are spread out as well and it never feels crowded. Therefore, it’s a great place for peace and quiet.

Negatives:

Spa is underwhelming. The spa has a beautiful location along the lagoon. But one would expect the spa facilities itself to be nicer, but it seemed a bit run down and the saunas were out of order.

Food could be better. Not much to say here. The food wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t spectacular either. Even Jean George’s restaurant left a bit to be desired.

Lastly I'm not sure if this can be helped but we found a cockroach in our room one night, and a gecko another night. I’m not trying to imply a lack of cleanliness because the room did feel clean. I would chalk that up to uncontrollable forces of nature.

At the end of the day I would recommend St. Regis, but for my next visit to Bora Bora I’d want to try the Four Seasons for the sake of comparison.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the mountain.
2 Thank Smooth_Obturator
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the St. Regis on Bora Bora and it was amazing! The property and the rooms are incredible and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We stayed in an over the water bungalow and it was everything we hoped it would be. There was plenty of room, a huge private deck, a living room, and an awesome bathroom with a jacuzzi! Our over the water bungalow was at the very end and since the property is so huge we had to call for a ride every time was wanted to leave the room. This wasn't as bad as it sounds since the staff was very quick about coming to pick you up. We did a dinner on the beach at the resort and it was beautiful and delicious. All other nights we went to the main island for dinner which I would highly suggest. If you are planning on drinking at all I would definitely get all the liquor you want at the duty free in LA airport, alcohol is outrageous at resorts in French Polynesia. There isn't much for snorkeling around the bungalows so I would suggest doing a lagoon tour (not the lagoonarium). We did a couple days of diving and was okay, plently of sharks though! Overall I think the St. Regis as spectacular and if I ever came back I wouldn't stay any where else.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Well we just returned from our honeymoon at the St. Regis bora bora and all I can say is Wow WoW WOW! I am a platinum SPg member and have a personal ambassador from corporate and I booked a regular over the water bungalow but with my ambassador's help and upgrade we got one of the 4 royal suites on the private island We had two master bedrooms a beautiful living room and our own personal infinity pool and massive deck right over the lagoon. Well who needs to ever leave our room and to top it off we had our own personal butler Guillaume who was by far the icing on our honeymoon cake! He was the ultimate in terms of customer service. Upon arrival we had pastries, chocolate fondue and strawberries bucket of corona, bottle of champagne and bottle of one of my favorite whites on ice. This all after being picked up and whisked away on the st Regis private yacht from the airport. It was almost too good to be true. But it only kept getting better and better. The resort is amazing and the staff is over the top. You can't walk by anyone without them gretting you with a smile. Guillaume made sure we never wanted for anything. He was at our service 24/7 for whatever we wanted. On our last night we came home to a flower petals leading into our bedroom and a beautifully designed and decorated bedroom with all these little going away gifts. Soo special! How nice is it to have everything confirmed for you as have someone to take you anywhere and then waiting for you on the dock upon your return with fresh towels to freshen up! Amazing - the ultimate trip!

• Stayed November 2011
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Not my first time, but fabulously impressed as though it was.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ropate01
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was the second leg of our trip to french polynesia and we are glad we made this the last destination.
From the pick up at the airport (in the St. Regis yacht), to the greeting of the staff once you get to the resort, to entering the massive overwater bungalow, our experience really couldn't have been better.
Shout out to Pacific for Less for helping us book this trip. Definitely recommend them.
Huge resort, even when full, it seems as though you are alone at the resort.
The bungalows are amazing. Large and very luxurious. The swimming from the bungalow is so so as the water is pretty deep (about 10ft). This may or may not suit you. Try to get the bungalows with views of the mountain if you can. I believe these are the premium OWB and the deluxe.
The St. Regis offers complimentary shuttles to the main island (for shops, restaurants) twice daily. The four seasons charges for this service.
In terms of restaurants, Villa Mahana was great. I would make reservations for this place.
In terms of activities, the shark and ray feeding was amazing. One of the highlights of our trip. Do it. We also did the jet ski tour which was fun as well.
The last tour we did was the love boat photo tour. If you are looking for someone to take pictures for you, it may be worth it, otherwise skip it as the other tours are better.

2 Thank samuel k
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed there for 2 weeks so we really got to know the place. Were in Bora Bora 25 years ago so the place has changed a lot. Much more commercial.

I apologize ahead of time for the long review but I think you will find some good info.

If you think Paris is expensive, wait until Bora Bora.

Staff overall great. Managers were both great to us and our personal advisor was the sweetest thing in the world. I can not say enough good things about them.

Rooms are over-the-top and it would be hard to believe any place could be nicer.

Food: Sucked (and is why I should give it a 3 out of 5)

Specifics:

The over-water bungalows, as mentioned, were incredible. The only issue was that the water you are over is fairly sterile and no marine life so nothing to see. Since it is new, hopefully in a few more years a few more critters will show up.

Breakfast great, lunch & dinner really poor.
For a 5 star resort (and I have stayed at many) there was clearly a lack of food service training and whoever is in the kitchen shoud be fired. Why they can not attracked a top level chef is beyond me. The pricing verse the quality was too great a difference.
Example: I would have my food brought to me and 10 minutes later my wife would get hers and this happened more then once.
The best resturaunt is over the Lagoon, looking at the mountain is incredible. There are only 2 seatings and I recommend the one that matches up with sunset so it depends on the time of year.

Some tips:
#1. Make sure the morning meal is included. A number of options and pretty good.
(A little trick: grab some fruit for later, make yourself a sandwich for lunch later. This can save you a good $20 - 30 bucks a day)
Also look out for the Bloody Marys that are complimentary---you have to look for them and they are only out a couple of days of the week and you pour your own vodka!!!!
#2. Grab a bike early in the morning and put it IN your room when you go back to get ready for dinner. They pick the bikes up about 4PM so if you don't want to hoof it stash the bike and leave them by the pool when you go to dinner and then enjoy the walk back to your room after dinner.
#3. WATER: Evian was close to $10 and the local was closer to $7.
(Hint: buy a couple of waters and there are a number of spots to fill them up from water coolers on the property. The gym has a couple as well.)
#4. Bring a lot of alcohol. We brought 8 bottles and well worth the effort. We should have brought 12. If you are worried about the import our bags were never checked. We bought 4 at duty free and carried them in the open. We also brought a little water botte with us we would fill with vodka and take it with us out to dinner. Most cocktails are so weak it is criminal and I honestly think they water them down. At +$20 per drink (closer to $30) it adds up pretty quickly.
#5. If you SCUBA bring your dive card and carry it on you. The transfer flight from Papiete to Bora Bora only allows 1 bag/person and the dive card gives you an extra 50 pounds for free.
(I left my dive gear at home and rented. Glad I did: diving outside pretty poor due to recent storm so I only went for one day)
6. Do the eco-snorkeling tour with the radio snorkels. Very cool. There is a radio receiver in the snorkel and when you bite on it you hear it perfectly due to the vibration of the jaw,
7. Eat dinner at La Sofitel: Best food we had on the island but not cheep.

8. Restuarants:
-Bloody Mary's: went there 25 years ago and now just a commercial venture and not worth the time or $$
-The Bounty: all the locals were there for the pizza
-La Mission: incredible and probalby the most expensive and exclusive restuarant on the island. You need reservations early and there is a special table up top that is private and very romantic. Phenominal experience!!!
-Kina Hut: What Bloody Mary's use to be. Do not sit by the wall by the road---too much noise and diesel smell from the road.
-We went over to La Maridian by shuttle boat (free since part of the St. Regis group) for the turtle sanctuary and lunch. Pricing and food great and St. Regis should steal their staff!

Other activities:
-gym: nice and bring your buds
-really nice grass and sunning area at teh gym/spa. Most people don't know about it or use it. Bring your snorkel. Best snorkling on the property. Jump off the dock, swim left and you will see a ton of fish
-kayak: had a blast paddling around and into the canal areas
-Hobby-cat you can take out
-1/2 or full day hike on the island but you have to bring a pair of shoes you plan to throw away....I am not kidding
-stay in your room and have your own party

One final Note:

We used Pacific-for-Less which is out of Kihea, Maui.
They got us a great room since they are the largest booker for Americans in the South Pacific.
We had a couple of problems with them:
-we had to give our info to them SEVERAL times. They either lost it or never took it down.
Considering I sent plenty of e-mails..........
-When you spend several thousand $$$$$$ with them you would think they would be more interactive with their clients.
-We initiated all contact and it often took several days to get a response.
-We never got a call a month, a week, or a day before the trip to confirm anything.
- I would have expected some positive follow-thru and even a call while we were there to make sure everything was going well.
-We never got a call afterward to see how the trip went.

Unfortunately I would not use Pacific for Less again other then to get the best deal/upgrades.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple