“Welcome to Paradise”

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed in late August on our honeymoon and we must say this was by far the nicest and most beautiful hotel and location we think we will ever get to visit in our life! It truly is paradise in every sense of the word. We were able to get to paradise thanks to Laurel from True Tahiti Vacations. If you are reading these reviews you are looking for hints and tips. The best tip I can give you is to book with her. I spoke with several different travel agents (big Tripadvisor names and small never heard of companies) who specialize in FP and no one could beat her price OR her level of service. Her responses to any of my questions were ridiculously quick and her knowledge of FP is vast (she lives on Moorea).

The St Regis staff really set the experience apart from the other resorts we visited in FP. From the moment you arrive on Bora Bora you will feel the difference as any sense of unease or discomfort is washed away from the friendly and courteous St Regis staff. Have a question about a tour you booked yourself or want to make a reservation at a restaurant on the main island? Just simply ask any question about anything and you get answers and service beyond what you would expect.

There was even a slight problem with our room after the 1st day we were there. The staff of the St Regis took it upon themselves to move us to a deluxe bungalow overlooking Mountain Otemanu and for the inconvenience of us moving gave us dinner at their Lagoon restaurant on the house (which was fantastic). While mistakes and problems are inevitable anywhere it was how the St Regis fixed a problem that really set the tone for a true 5 star resort.

The resort itself is huge. We visited during peak time and still felt as though the resort was our private playground. Whether you are at the private oasis pool, the lagoonarium or even just riding bikes around the resort, we found that we barely saw more than 1 or 2 couples at a time. The rooms are huge, the beds are comfy and the water is amazing. Having been in a room on both the beach and mountain side I can honestly say that I don’t feel as though there is a bad bungalow on this resort. Don’t feel if you don’t get a view of the mountain you are in any way missing out as we spent so much time outside of our room it would have been impractical to pay for the upgrade, had the St Regis not provided it free (again thanks for the world class service).

The Lagoon restaurant was by far our favorite and best meal we had in Bora Bora. We went to the main island for dinner a couple of nights but found the experience tedious with the end result being a slighter cheaper so-so meal. Also be prepared to share a van ride with a large group of boisterous tourists (depending on how many people from your resort are also going to dinner the same place). Not exactly the definition of romance on your honeymoon if you ask me. Lagoon on the other end sat us at a candle-lit table on the terrace with a view of the mountain at sundown. You make the call for which you’d prefer on your honeymoon.

We had Breakfast included with our package and used this to fuel up for the entire day. They provide quite the spread of any breakfast food you can think of with the service again being unmatched (you get up to get food they walk over to your table and fold your napkin again). Bring some snacks from home to get thru the day and enjoy big dinners. With Bora Bora’s prices you won’t be upset skipping a meal, trust me.

Use the business center to check in at home if you need Internet. There is water at the private oasis pool along with at the fitness center, which is located near the spa. Save a big bottle and fill it a couple times a day to keep hydrated. Once you find a good bike be sure to keep it tucked away next to your bungalow door. Explore the entire resort, as there are several things you won’t want to miss. Book your tours ahead of time before you arrive and you will save yourself a lot of money. Moana Adventure tours were able to put an entire package together (jet skis, 4x4 safari, shark feeding) with the price being a fraction of what it would have cost had we waited and just went through the hotel.

And again probably the most important thing I can reiterate… Book your trip with Laurel from True Tahiti Vacations. We spoke with several other couples during our entire trip and when we shared our price their jaws dropped. I was hesitant at first to divulge this personal information, but after the first reaction I was actually excited if people asked us about whom we used and what we paid. It would be one thing to just get a rock bottom low price but when the level of service goes up as the price goes down you will be scratching your head wondering why you don’t see her name more on this site.

4  Thank Sc0tV
There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort

Reviewed August 30, 2011

We spent 5 nights there. We went to celebrate my daughter's high school graduation. There were 4 of us. We had 2 bungalows which were next to one another. It was extremely expensive but we would definitely do it again. The food was as good as you can get in such an exotic and remote location. I never heard the word "no" from a staff member while we were there

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights and just had the best, most relaxing, romantic vacation. Stayed in one of the very large overwater bungalows, which we thoroughly enjoyed. I loved feeding the fish in the evening off the deck, and being able to jump right into the crytal blue water right off your bungalow is phenomenal! The food was good, not great, but we ceertainly never went hungry. And yes, everything's really exepensive, you just have to accept that and quit worrying about it! We did bring a couple bottles of wine with us from duty free to enjoy in our room. Going into town for dinner sounds like a good idea, and you should go at least once, but it's a boat ride and then a bus ride to get anywhere, so we just chose to eat at the hotel all the other nights. We did go over one day to the Le Meredian next door and spent the day there visiting the turtle sanctuary, relaxing on the beach, and had lunch over there, which was a nice change of scenery. All in all, a most excellent trip and I can't wait to go back to the St Regis!

1  Thank hannahytaylor
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed at the St Regis for our Honeymoon in Oct 2010. There are few words to truly express what a magnificent hotel the St Regis is.

Every experience, from pick up at the airport in a gorgeous yacht to mouth watering meals, was beyond expectations.

We stayed in Over-Water Bungalow 101 for 4 nights, could have easily stayed another 10! The bungalow and resort in all is a screen saver. The aqua blue water surrounds the bungalow, making you feel like you are on your own personal island.

The staff were amazing, they could not do enough to make our stay more enjoyable. Food - AMAZING! You have to try all the restaurants in the resort, and definitely try the barracuda at the Lagoon Restaurant.

We highly recommend taking day trips out, such as swimming with sharks and sting rays. Or even grabbing a canoe and exploring the surrounds your selves.

Room Tip: Go for the over-water bungalows!
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights and the bungalows were huge at 1500 sq ft, the rooms were comfortable, and the property was amazing. There is absolutely nothing in the water by the bungalows but the hotel does have a lagoon stocked with fish and coral if you want to snorkel. The food was not amazing but good. And yes it is very expensive but everything on an island with limited resources is going to be expensive.

We booked the St Regis through a package from Custom Tahiti. Our travel agent, Richard Bondurant, got us a couples massage and a wine and cheese platter which was nice. I would definitely recommend Custom Tahiti to anyone looking to go to French Polynesia.

We booked our excursions through the front desk. The one I would recommend is reef discovery. The guide, Christophe, was great and made sure we had the time of our life. We also booked the Polynesian Island tour which was ok but was not something we would do again.

The problems we had were with hot water and internet. With just the hot water turned on it was barely warm enough to shower. We called maintenance and someone showed up and just felt the water and shrugged his shoulders like there was nothing he could do and left. Since the water was warm enough, we just left it as is and moved on. The problem was on the last day right before we were supposed to head out to the airport, only cold water was coming out so we had to shower in cold water. We didn't even bother calling maintenance because we had to leave soon but not a very pleasant way to end a beautiful trip. We were in room 304.

The second problem was the internet. People traveling from the US will not have cell phone or data access at a reasonable rate. AT&T charges something like $3 a minute and $20 per megabyte of data. The hotel charges about $40 per day but it is limited to one device and can not be shared. The Hilton we stayed at in Moorea would let us disconnect one device and use another if we needed to but the St Regis locks it to the device so you can not move the connection to another device and have to pay for a second device. I wanted to connect my iphone, ipod touch, and laptop so according to them it would cost $120 per day for internet access. I did it anyways for 2 devices so I could use skype on the iphone and upload pictures from our trip on the laptop. But when I went to checkout they only charged for internet once. Not sure if it was because I called and said something but only one charge was on the bill.

Overall the St Regis was amazing! We were torn between the Four Seasons and the St Regis. We have not been to the Four Seasons so we can not comment but the main reason we chose the St Regis was for the size of the room and we were not disappointed. It is definitely a property we would visit again even with the problems we experienced.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jay397
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. It was exactly as it was shown in the movie couples retreat. Although everything is very expensive, I definately think it was well worth it to do it at least once for our honeymoon. The overwater bungalows are very big, spacious, and nicer than most. It had a living room, bedroom, large bath, two sinks, two glass floors for watching fish....i think that says it all! We also stayed at the hilton moorea and in La Ta Ha for the previous week and found the St. Regis to be the perfect finale to our trip. We booked a two week trip to the french polynesian islands thru Pacific for Less travel agency after reading numberous positive reviews on trip advisor about them. I was extremely sceptical of them and their prices, but when I priced things out on my own versuses going thru them, I actually found I probably saved a free night or two in hotel expenses, which easily could be close to $2K for these resorts. I worked with both Claudia and Jennifer at Pacific for Less...they are both very nice and know the hotels, airlines for inter-island travel agents at the airlilnes, and also the restarants on these islands inside and out. I would start with them (you will save serious $$$), even if you're only going to one resort. They also helped me locate and retrieve my wife's lost luggage (that the airline lost) within 6 hrs of me calling Claudia. This happened at a previous resort right before we were scheduled to leave for bora bora.

My only dissappoint with the st. regis was that our room #118 didn't have an unobstructed view of the mountain. I would suggest #104 or something near that (farther up on the dock), if you want a clean view of the mountain. Everything else was magical.

1  Thank botec
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My wife and I were looking for someplace special to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We couldn't have found a more perfect destination. Everything about The St. Regis was incredible. Everywhere you looked was like looking at a postcard. The service was fantastic and the staff was very friendly. They made every effort to make sure our experience was a memorable one. Our only complaint was the drinks were very weak for the price, but the bartenders were good enough to send extra shots to make up for it! If you can afford it, make sure you stay on the Mt. Otemanu side as your bungalow will block the trade winds which get pretty heavy at times. Also, make sure you spend time at the spa lagoon. you'll have an entire tropical lagoon all to yourself. A definite highlight was dinner at Villa Mahana. But only if you get the table at the top of the outdoor patio. You'll enjoy some amazing food surrounded by geckos sitting under the stars. Overall It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. Should you need help with travel arrangements I would recommend Pacific for Less. They had the best price and Claudia and staff set up an unbelievable trip for us.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple