“Still feels like it was a Dream!!”

InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
“Still feels like it was a Dream!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

After looking at photos of Bora Bora for over ten years. I finally met the Woman of my dreams and took her on a honeymoon to the place of anyones dreams. We cannot explain it, our photos can't either. This is the best place on earth. I am convinced. The Intercontinental Thalasso-Spa does it right. Our bungalow was incredible. Perfect view of Otemanu. Our dreams came true when we dove off of the deck below our room into the crystal clear water. The spa garden was like our own personal Eden for a day. YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THIS IN YOUR LIFETIME!

Room Tip: View the bungalow map. Choose the outer bungalows furthest from the shore. For seclusion and great v...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoccoTerenzio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Coronado, California
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The resort has the best location of any resort on Bora Bora. It is sheilded from most of the prevailing winds and has he best views of Mount Otemanu. It is a little on the pricey side but worth every penny! Amazing staff and service, EVERY employee you pass greets you. The resort is pretty centrally located with ferry service to the main island - you can relax as much as you want or pack your days with activities. On site activities include free kayaks, paddle boards, and snorkeling equipment; daily sting ray feeding (amazing) at 2pm. Top Dive is onsite offering multiple daily scuba diving excursions (we did 2 different days of scuba diving), plus many many more types of excursions.
The food was superb! The French buffet served with the Polynesian show was awesome!
Corail, their new fine dining restaurant, though pricey, was delicious.

The over water villas are large and very nice. We were offered a double upgrade to the diamond level villa and had one second from the very end. The water was approx 10 ft where we were but beautiful and clear. Its definitely a little walk to get to and from your room if you want to be on the end, so if walking is an issue or you have small children I would recommend one of the closer villas.
As for issues, I definitely agree that their wi-fi is very slow - so slow that we were unable to FaceTime or Skype with our family at home (which we had been able to do at the Intercontinental resorts on both Tahiti and Moorea).

Someone posted that the pool is in a state of major disrepair, and it is, however, the manager issued a letter to every guest explaining that they just had the pool completely retiled in January 2013, however the glue that the company used failed, therefore causing the tiles to come up. The hotel feels that because it is their peak season right now that closing the pool completely would not be an option, especially because they only have one pool. They were very apologetic and assured that the pool is being redone in a couple months. It does look pretty bad, but overall it's still enjoyable. Besides, the beach is awesome!

My husband and I were there this month (Aug 2013) to celebrate our anniversary and we are already making plans to return with our children!! Can't wait to come back to paradise!

Room Tip: Sign up for the ambassador's program through Intercontinental! You will get a complimentary buf...
2 Thank glbaerresen
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

A definite Bucket List destination. Yes it is on the expensive side, but it is worth every dollar.

The staff are the best I have ever encountered in the world. They are solely interested in making your stay the best possible.
You can either do nothing or fill every day with activities.

The 2 restaurants provided a wide variety of cuisine.

The villas are large and well appointed. We stayed in the second from the end of pontoon and the water off our swimming platform was the most amazing colour and only 7 feet deep.

Although nowhere near as good as the Great Barrier reef it is worth snorkelling in the resorts own lagoon.
The daily stingray feeding is a must do.

Only 2 minor issues.
The wi-fi is very slow and bandwidth limited due to limited telephone company infrastructure .
Although we did not use it - the main pool is in need of urgent re-tiling. It should not have reached this stage of dis-repair.

Will definitley return!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra dollars and get a villa facing Mount Otemanu. Even better a villa towards the end of...
2 Thank popquiz
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the ICH Thalasso Spa in early August as part of a 10 night Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora holiday escape. The service and facilities were excellent in general, and we would thoroughly recommend splurging here if you're coming to Bora Bora.

Accommodation: Signing up to the Ambassador Club is essential if staying for more than a few nights. We were upgraded one level to a Sapphire OWB (#227) which was absolutely perfect. The bungalows are huge and very comfortable. We had a good view of Mount Otemanu from our deck and pontoon, and could dive into ~ 2 metre deep clear blue water each morning which we will never forget. Ambassador membership also included a bottle of water and complimentary wireless internet.

Meals: Expensive - but no more than those of a similar standard hotel anywhere in the world. We ate two dinners here - one at the new 'gastronomie' restaurant Corail, one at the other high end restaurant Reef. Service was relaxed and friendly; there were a couple of mix ups with service at Reef Restaurant, but why get upset over small things when on holiday in paradise?! Fish dishes were the highlight given the freshness (most meat is imported from NZ). Overall the meal qualities were high without being Michelin star-equivalent quality. The best meal by far, however, was on the main island at La Villa Mahana - a true French gastronomy experience worth the expense but book ahead. The ICH has a boat transfer service to the main island (to the sister ICH Le Moana resort), but does charge for the service in the evenings.

Facilities: The beach area is fitted with plenty of comfy day beds, lounges and hammocks. Bar service by the pool and beach is efficient and friendly. The pool is having a few issues with lifting tiles, but still very usable. There is a small gym with modern facilities more than sufficient for a few holiday work outs. There are ample kayaks/canoes/paddle boards to have fun in the lagoon around the overwater bungalows.

Service: Overall excellent. Very friendly check-in, followed by tour of the facilities en-route to our room. Warm concierge service. We speak limited French (and wanted to practice) and this was one of the few places in French Polynesia where staff would continue speaking to us in French until we asked to revert to English!

Room Tip: Signing up to the Ambassador Club is essential if staying for more than a few nights. We were upgrad...
2 Thank TimR_81_Mel
New Jersey
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Let me start by saying the IC Hotel group is on top of service. Every detail is watched over, and they want you happy at all costs. Best advice I can give is to book with this hotel, not only because you can use the sister facilities at the La Moana across the lagoon but it is a sheltered property from the constant winds. People who booked over on Bora were being constantly beaten by the trade winds, which can put a damper on the activities. Loved this property, and would return.

Room Tip: Facing the water the claw to the right gets more sun in June to Sept on your deck and the claw to th...
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Wonderful, I planned this holiday two months before leaving the UK and really feel I hit the nail on the head with this hotel. The service was fantastic, literally the best I have received anywhere in the world.

Everything costs a bomb however and I strongly recommend booking the bungalows on a half-board basis as the island itself is dead and taxi's anywhere cost a fortune. Getting to the central point of the island where the restaurants are requires a boat trip with limited timings. If you miss the boat back its £160!!

Also worth mentioning, there are three categories of rooms, emerald, sapphire and diamond overwater bungalows. All are the same dimensions, sizes and they only differ in location along the claw and view! The difference in price between the emerald and diamond is just not worth it! All the bungalows are beautiful and the views are amazing. Add ons such as canoe delivered breakfast are costly but a lovely experience for the Mrs!

We spent half a day at the hotel's famous algotherm spa. I was immediately shocked at the costs but must admit, as a bloke bloke I did not for a moment think I would enjoy the pearl rain massage and the body scrub as much as I did! Cost for two people here was around £400 which was pricey but a nice touch for honeymooners.

Breakfast and dinner were good and of decent 5 star level. Dinner is essential to book in advance as this will come to around £150 for two of you every night otherwise.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough and really was impressed with the intercontinental service. If i'm lucky enough to ever go back to the island I will gladly stay here again.

1 Thank Danny D
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Bora Bora was a spectacular location. I stayed at the Thalasso for 5 nights returning august 1st, 2013. The Thalasso is a nice property and a nice hotel. However, they charge 5-star prices, and in my opinion this is not a five-star hotel. For their prices I had higher expectations. If I could do it over, i would most likely stay at the St. Regis.

Improvements could be as follows:

Service- We thought the overall service of the hotel left something to be desired. While we had no major incidents, small annoying service issues repeated daily became frustrating. Examples- Having to take silverware from other tables as waiters forgot to bring them. Ordering wine that is delivered at the end of your meal. Room service taking an hour plus then being served cold. Having to ask 5 times for Coffee. Drinks taking forever. Again, small issues but at a five star resort this shouldn't happen.

Hospitality- I am not an ambassador member and was treated as such. I suspect if I paid the extra $200 for ambassador status my experience would have been far more positive. Check-in took over an hour, and had to wait awkwardly while 8 other guests were delivered to their rooms first. I paid for a Sapphire room, so was not expecting a fantastic view, however we were given a bungalow that was probably 50 feet from shore (241). Disappointing as a number of other sapphire rooms were in far better locations. Also, check-out is at 11AM (our flight home was at 8PM). I called for a late check-out, and was told their was no way they could accommodate us based on someone checking into our room at noon the next day, and i was not an ambassador. I decided to walk to the front desk instead, where an employee took some time, assisted us, and as no one was actually checking in the next day, we were granted the late check out. While i appreciated this, I'm not sure why they couldn't have saved the frustration and done it on my initial inquiry.

Food Quality- As you are on a motu with basically nowhere else to go, they could certainly improve on the quality of their food. Even though we had breakfast/dinner included in our package, by the last 2 days of the trip there was no way that we could eat onsite anymore. They are in the process of opening a higher end restaurant, so perhaps this would be an improvement. Would be a benefit to allow easier access to the other hotels on the Motu for a bit of food diversity.

Again- a nice hotel with a great view and a wonderful beach, however in my opinion, not a 5-star resort. For the prices, you may be better off spending a bit more and going to the Regis or four seasons.

Room Tip: Definitely go with a Emerald or Diamond bungalow
6 Thank Ryan_murphy_08
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Ryan_murphy_08,