InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
High River, Canada
“Must see!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Incredible views from luxurious overwater villas and the most helpful friendly staff I have encountered.
Crystal clear waters great for swimming and snorkeling teaming with fish and coral. My personal favorite is the daily feeding of the stingrays and their interaction with the guests..... Lots of happy faces and amazement!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on my honeymoon, and when we walked into our bungalow our jaws dropped. The place was huge! Walk in closet, high ceilings,beautiful decor, a deck on the water, and a see through glass table that slid open so
we can feed the fish! I can't say enough about this place, everything was perfect. I wish I could go back tomorrow. The people, service, food, infinity pool, beach, spa(amazing), just a perfect, beautiful place.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank lologg
Calgary
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our 11 night Paul Gauguin cruise. It was a great way to end our honeymoon. Resort was beautiful, private, quiet and everything you imagine Bora Bora to be. The rooms were amazing with lots of space. We were in the second unit from the end of the pontoon and had an amazing view. I would have to say that the food was just OK, (I think we had been pretty spoiled on our cruise) so they had a tall order to live up to.
The absolute highlight of our stay here was a helicopter ride around Bora Bora. The concierge arranged to have the helicopter pick us up right at the hotel and return us to same. We were gone for 30 minutes and it was absolutely breath taking.
The bonus of staying at this hotel is that they have a complimentary shuttle that takes you back and forth between their sister resort on the main island. We used it one day to head in to the grocery store in Vaitape and another night to go for dinner at Bloody Mary's.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LifesAway
Portland c
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This place is awesome. We stayed there the last week of August 2012.

Location is superb - right in front of the Mountain across the lagoon. No resort has as good a view.

Every employee I came across was great, and several went above and beyond my expectations.

The room is awesome. Its literally the size of a small house and decorated very nicely, with a modern contemporary flair. Every room in the resort is identical, only the view and location alters their price.The bed was super comfortable. I didn't have to use my pillow menu - yup, they have one! Two flat screen TVs. A solid wood walk in closet, nice. Good size safe. Toilet is in its own little room with a door and a window - phew!. 3'x6' shower with a teak (?) bench. The showerhead in the IC Thalasso was the only room complaint - maybe 6" in diameter and average water flow. At Hilton Moorea it was a 12" square monster that dumped water on you - you coulda hosed down an elephant with that thing, this one was weak in comparison.

Hotel Mini Bars - does ANYONE every buy anything from these things? $6 for a can of coke?!?!? $5 for a little can of chips?!?!? $12 for an ounce of vodka? C'mon, what is the point of these things. No one buys anything and they have to keep checking them and powering them - they lose money on these things with these asinine prices as I have to assume no one buys anything form them. Cut the prices in half or get rid of them. Really, what is the point of these things? (This is every hotel, but the prices in the mini bar at this hotel take the cake - and I've stayed in Manhattan hotels).

The spa was great - make sure you try all the freebie treatments in the spa's general area ahead of your scheduled spa session. Suck it up and dunk yourself in the very cold deep water plunge pool - it will take your breathe away, literally! And your entire body will tingle. Just do it!

Drink prices are crazy - $20 US and up. Beer bottles are $6 each. Do the duty free in LAX and bring up to 4 bottles with both of you. Unlike IC Thalasso, Hilton Moorea's gift shop does sell various cans of juice at about $3 each, which is enough to make 2 drinks - not bad. THis gift shop needs similarly priced juice.

In my Comments card for the hotel, I let them know its ridiculous that a 5 star hotel in the tropics doesn't have free cold water readily available everywhere. This is the case in all them hotels I suppose, but still ridiculous.

If you haven't already, sign up for the Intercontinental Ambassador to get late check out, free litre of bottled water each day, and an auto room upgrade if they have them available. They did for us and we got moved to an end of pantoon Diamond room.

I liked the shuttle boats that ran back and forth between IC Thalasso and its sister resort on the main island, Le Moana. That resort is older and smaller, but good for a couple of reasons for IC Thalasso residents:

A. Sunsets - you can see them from the beach at Le Moana. Great picture spot. You cannot see sunsets on the horizon from Thalasso.

B. Happy Hour - both resorts have them. Thalasso's is 1 hour long, Le Moana's is 2. Prices I thought were a little cheaper at Le Moana for drinks. Happy Hour is by one round get a second ROUND free, and service is slow, so start early. But at buy a round get a round prices, the prepared drinks become affordable during happy hour.

C. There is a little grocery store not more than 100' from the front of Le Moana. So free boat from Thalasso to Le Moana, walk a bit and shop till ya drop.

D. Le Moana is another dinner option for those on the plan that includes dinner each night.

Be warned the rooms that are on the most northerly 'arm' face the dock used by the resort and by the Dive Center and the jet skis. We were in #131, at the end of the pier, and as the dive boats and jet skis came around the corner coming or going to the doc, they sometimes got a little close and loud. The resort shuttle boats steer wide and slow. I commented to the resort they should move the ropes out another 150' to keep the boat traffic farther away from the north arm of the resort's bungalows. It wasn't constant by any means, but enough to notice. If I ever get back, and get to stay at the end of the pier, it won't be #131. One of the other piers will be better IMHO.

Staying way out at the end of the piers is more private and fun and exclusive. But its a longer walk. I counted 452 steps from the start of the pier to my room - that's about 1/4 mile. Good exercise! Or a long, long trudge. The front desk has a few golf carts always waiting to pick you up or drive you out to your room.

The pool boys are great, particularly Mario. Funny guys, very attentive. I liked the free activities they did with us every noon - basket weaving, things like that.

We did the breakfast by canoe to our deck the first morning. That was a lot of fun and the breakfast was excellent. Book with the conciergies as soon as you get there, as well as reserving a beach table at Le Sands for dinner on the beach one night.

The snorkeling in the Chapel Lagoon was very good. Take the 10 AM Thursday Coral Biology tour they give. Very informative. The lagoon has a very gentle current and tons of fish and decent coral. Lots of clams. I keep saltwater aquariums so maybe I appreciated what they really got there more than the casual snorkeler. Make sure you snorkel over to the east end where the tunnel/pipe from the open ocean feeds in cool water - lots of interesting fish hanging out there! The snorkeling by our room was non existent - it was a barren underwater desert under #131. The water was 15' deep that far out on the pier. Compare that to the Hilton in Moorea, where the water is 3' deep everywhere AND stuffed full of coral heads every which way you turn. Tons of fish. You actually see them thru your glass floor.

The glass floor in our room in IC Thalasso was just a gimmick because the water was so deep and devoid of coral and fish. It was also smaller, about 15"x30". But the turquoise color was absolutely radiant night and day. It lit up the living room. The glass floor at Hilton Moorea was almost twice as big and had occasional fish swimming by, but the color of the water was plain.

Free Ray feeding every day at 2 PM, and its every bit as good as the tours. Except no sharks, which for most ladies is actually a plus.

Get to the far side of the resort, the side that faces the open ocean to the East. You can see Tahaa. You can see sun and moon rises if the clouds on the horizon cooperate.

Do the SWAC tour at the Concierge desk. The way this hotel cools itself is very interesting.

As other's have mentioned, the transfer boats the resorts use to pick you up at the airport vary a bit. Four Seasons and St Regis have huge things, while the boat for Intercontinental is much smaller. You do feel a bit inferior at the airport dock. But Intercontinental has 4 or 5 of these boats that they use to go back and forth between the 2 resorts and the airport all day every day, so I guess the smaller ones make more sense. But still, there is a big diff when everyone's loading up at the dock and they step up and into their yachts and we step down into our boat.

I would go back in a second. That place is freakin' great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Peter P
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel was very nice and had beautiful views. After I left the resort, I checked my IHG account. Upon inspection I found that I earned no points for the stay. After an 1hr and 20 minutes of being transferred from representative to representative I was told since the hotel is outside the US, Canada and Mexico I was not eligible to earn points. I told them it showed it no where on the website. They refereed me to scroll to the bottom of the webpage click terms and condition. And look at point 12. The hotel is very nice but don't expect to earn points during your stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Mark S
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We visited this resort on our honeymoon in April 2011 n its truly heaven on earth..loved every bit of it..the views..the service..In fact we recommended it to 3 other couples who went thr on their honeymoons n loved it as well..Thr can't be a more perfect place for a honeymoon..the over water villas were truly spectacular..loved the concept of glass bottom coffee table..It wz so much fun feeding the sting rays everyday..We evn took the spa..although a bit expensive, the facilities were great..watching the fish feed on the corals through the glass bottom floor while getting the massage done was an amazing experience..The food was great too but being a vegetarian i wish thr were more veg options. Although on the last night, when my husband wz enjoying the Japanese buffet, the chef made me a veg dish tht wasn't on the menu n was a gud change :) We really appreciated the complimentary shuttle service to their sister resort on the main island for which a regular taxi charges a lot. Although thrz not much to do on the main island. Overall we had a wonderful experience n we cudn hv chosen a better place for our honeymoon! We changed 4-5 flights to get here from India n it was totally worth it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
napoli
Reviewed September 4, 2012

it is situated in the outside atoll and from there (specially from the over water rooms) is is possible to see the Bora Bora mountain. a lot better location that the I.C Le Moana and it is provided by a boat to take the guest to the main islaqnd for shopping. Service impeccable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple