“Amazing Hotel - A Lot of Unique Qualities”

InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Hotel - A Lot of Unique Qualities”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My wife and I are on our second trip out to French Polynesia. Four years ago we went to Moorea for our honeymoon. Since that time my wife has been begging me to bring her back, and this time we find ourselves in Bora Bora. After much searching and review reading we settled on IC Le Moana for the first half of our ten night stay (second half will be Le Meridian). Tonight is our final night at IC Le Moana and we could not be more pleased. Allow me to lay out all the pluses.

+ Accommodations - we are in a beach bungalow (#56). We preferred this option to an overwater, as we did the overwater experience in Moorea, and frankly, we spend so much time outside of our room we didn't really need the OW experience. We are so pleased with our choice. The beach bungalow is right on the sand leading to the water, has a beautiful view of the OW bungalows and horizon (sun rise), and is perfect for our sleeping needs. The bungalow has two rooms (a living area that leads to deck, separated with closing door from the bedroom with California King bed). The bathroom is large and has all the necessary amenities (although be prepared, there is no door or curtain on the shower, it is completely open - but who cares, this is a honeymoon/lovers destination anyway).

+ Location - on the main island so a simple taxi/shuttle/bike ride to the main town (Vaitapee) or any other necessary sights. Two nights we went out to dinner, about a 5 minute bus ride to Bloody Mary's and La Villa Mahana. There is a restaurant (Lucky House) right outside and to the right of the hotel off the main road (walking distance) that makes the BEST pizza I have ever had (brick oven, thin crust - if you like garlic, get the margarita pizza). A simple two person kayak trip (15 minutes with just me rowing, my wife enjoying the scenery and snapping pictures) to the coral gardens on the backside of the Sofitel Motu, where the best snorkeling appears to be. Just dock your kayak on the rocky shore and snorkel away. My wife and I saw a 4 foot moray eel (yikes) and all kinds of fish. To boot, there is snorkeling right at the hotel Le Moana, including an area by the OW bungalows called the coral nursery (a created coral area by the hotel) which was really nice. In addition, there is a convenience store just down the road, and a grocery store a bit further. Great place to buy your water or alcohol (cheaper than at restaurants). My wife and I have been bringing water with us everywhere we go, even to restaurants and no one minds. Considering you can get a 1.5 liter water for 100 XPF (approximately $1.15 USD) its a great value. Of course you have to enjoy water like my wife and I do, as the other choices (soda, juices) are pricier.

+ Staff - extremely friendly. Quick to offer a "Ia ora na" or a "Māuruuru" with a smile on their face. Very helpful too with extra towels, room service, selecting activities, or anything else you need. A top notch group of people that really make you feel welcomed.

+ Price - one of the more cost effective options you could choose, especially if you do the beach bungalow (would recommend #55, 56, or 57 based on location). I cannot think of better value for your money. To be out in Bora Bora, at a quality hotel, with all the amenities so close by, including some of the best snorkeling for the most competitive price, is simply a steal.

+ Overall Experience - everything has been great at this hotel. Along with everything stated above, we have enjoyed - falling asleep in the hammocks that are scattered along the beach, catching geckos, hermit crabs, and collecting shells, walking the beach, enjoying breakfast and the Le Moana pizza (by far the best one). If/when we ever come back to Bora Bora, IC Le Moana will definitely be one of our stays. HIGHLY recommended!! A++++++++++

Room Tip: Beach Bungalows #55, 56, or 57. Great value and great views. Cheaper than OW choices, and if you l...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank moanyw
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear moanyw, Ia orana!
What else can say but just thank you! I'll be very pleased sharing your comments with the personnel. We all get prepared to your next visit, so that we can go beyond your expectations, once more!
Warm regards,
Laurence Lévy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed here for a spring break family vacation in March 2014. The transfer boat met us at the airport and it took about 20 minutes to get to the hotel. We were met by a friendly staff and the hotel manager came by and greeted everyone. The overwater bungalows we stayed in were in excellent shape and clean. The food was very good. We had the buffet breakfast everyday and ate lunch there several times. We also did the evening Tahitian Dinner which was very nice with lots of traditional dancing. The staff was very friendly though-out our entire stay and helped us arrange for restaurants, tours and taxi's. The manager was always around and asking if everything was ok. They have a shuttle boat that takes you to the other Intercontinental Hotel (15 minute ride), which we did a few times; mainly to use the fitness facilities there. That was my only complaint with this hotel, was that it didn't have a fitness room on-site. But anyone staying here gets to use the other hotels facilities at no charge which was fine. The other Intercontinental Hotel is nice but we liked this hotel better; the grounds were more tropical and the beach nicer. Also, if you want to go into town for restaurants or tours it's easier being at this hotel. Otherwise, you have to take the shuttle boat over from the other hotel every time you want to go anywhere. The swimming and snorkeling was great around the hotel; very clear water with a clean beach and nice pool. There is water equipment such as snorkels, kayaks, boats and paddle surfboards available at no charge. Overall we had a great stay and the manager even came out to tell us goodbye. Overall, we highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had bungalows on the shorter pier which has fewer bungalows on it. It seemed quieter and less bu...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank dino077
Dear dino077, Ia orana!
We trust you had a nice trip back to Texas and would like to thank you for sharing your experience. Would you decide to come and visit us again, you and your family are very welcome!
Warm regards
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Le Moana in the beach bungalow.

I love this place. The waters you cannot describe. You have to see all the beautiful blues and coral yourself. I did not do too much as I was in Tahaa for 6 nights and was exhausted from all the activites (and sunburns) there.

But what I can say is my room was breathtaking and so was my view. Crystal clear water and it was amazingly sunny. I also had the pleasure of seeing two small black sting-rays come up and play near the shore and circle around me, too bad it was the only time I did not have my camera handy.

They had paddle boards and kayaks and snorkle equipment you could use for free, although I didnt get a chance to use them, I watched others having fun in the water. There is a massive coral garden a little way out as well, I recommend everyone to snorkle over to and check out, or even take a kayak or paddle board if you get scared when it gets deep.

The room service is great and everyone seemed friendly and the food was great too! The bed was super comfortable as well. Tv's are easy to use and had a couple of channels that were interesting to put on at night.

This place is super beautiful and I wish I had done more while I was there, but I will be back!!

Thanks to my travel agent Noy Siravantha from Tahiti legends who helped me put together my package and flights!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Ericaboo, Ia orana!
We trust you had a nice trip back home and thank you very much for your kind and complete review. Would you have any opportunity to visit us, we'll be very pleased welcoming you again and hopefully will you try our other free polynesian activities...
Warm regards,
Sachse, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 4, 2014

My husband and I were on a 28 day South Pacific cruise during the month of April, and we wanted to make the most of our day in Bora Bora. We contacted the resort prior to leaving home to find out if they offered a day pass to enjoy the resort, which they do.
Upon arrival in Vaitape, we boarded Le Truck for a quick, open air ride to the resort.
The sweet and friendly Leilani checked us in and explained the day pass specifics, then we headed to the beach to claim our spot. This wasn't difficult because it was only 8:30am and the beach was completely empty. We set up our spot (we had very comfortable beach chairs, towels, a small table, and beach umbrella) and went for a swim in the crystal turquoise water. This was truly a picture perfect scene that we had landed in. We sunned, swam, and drank in the scenery.
A while later we went to the Vini Vini bar and ordered some drinks. You see, the great thing about the InterContinental's beach pass is that the entire amount paid is then transferred to the bar/restaraunt as a credit. We felt this was a win-win and helped us make the decision to spend the day here.
After we spent enough time in the sun/water, we packed up and had lunch. The service seemed to be a little slow, but very friendly and we were not in a hurry. (Lunch was also covered by our day pass credit). The food was delicious!
We truly enjoyed our day at the Intercontinental.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robin B
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Robin B, Ia orana!
This is a real pleasure learning that we successfully participated in your day spent in Bora Bora. Would like to visit us again, you'll be very welcome.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for our honeymoon, it was a wonderful experience to see how pleasant a place can be. All the staff loved their jobs and did it with 100% commitment even going the extra mile. We were welcomed into our room with champagne to congratulate us. The only one small negative I have to say is the staff are not all properly trained in medical emergencies., my husband was attacked by a jelly fish and none of the staff knew what to do, one guy told us to put ice on it (apparently you shouldn't do that) But having said that few hours later they called out room saying they found out from the chemist the best thing to do is use shaving cream and wipe with a credit card then dip in sea water. They bought shaving cream for us and the next day all the staff asked how he was, beautiful caring staff. Thank you for a wonderful holiday.

Summary

Pros: beautiful location, attentive staff, comfy bed.

Cons: staff need medical emergency training & that I had to leave this place to return to reality

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trueoath
Dear trueoath, Ia orana!
We thank you for your warm comments, that I'm going to share with our personnel. Assuring a fast and efficient response to any medical emergency is effectively a real but fundamental challenge for a property located in such a natural environment like ours. You can be assured that our staff benefits from numerous and frequent trainings and refresh all year long. The jelly fish is scarcely 'visiting' our lagoon. Since the incident which occured to your husband, I would like to inform you that a new procedure was set up, so that all the personnel is informed about the emergency cares in that particular situation.
I'm happy to learn however that you had a beautiful sojourn with us. Please receive again our sincere congratulations for your honeymoon.
Kaunas
Reviewed April 30, 2014

InterContinentalBora Bora Le Moana Resort :location,service, stuff , rooms, food,-excellnt.
Diving in Bora-Bora is not so good as in Rangiroa or Fakarava, so better to start diving trip from Bora-Bora.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Rimantas M, Ia orana!
We are pleased to learn that you could appreciate all aspects of our little paradise! Thank you for sharing your experience.
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Overall it was an awesome trip.
Take the ferry, it's free, the hotel charges about 130 bucks. Stayed in over water bungalow and I would recommend trying it. When we go back though, we will stay on the beach, because it is much cheaper and the view is very similar. The room was very clean and the staff were very friendly. The AC and the fridge could have been colder. Everything in the hotel is very expensive. The buffet for dinner was over two hundred dollars without alcoholic beverages. Only made that mistake once... And the complimentary bottled water...isn't complimentary. There is a small grocery store, walking distance, which we purchased fruit and sandwich meat for lunch. The restaurant next door, The Lucky House, excellent food and service and reasonably priced for Bora Bora;)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amy R
Dear Amy R, Ia orana!
We thank you for taking time to report about your honeymoon sojourn with us.
Regarding the costs, I would like to precise that the dinner buffet is including a Polynesian dance show and that a bottle of water is effectively delivered in room every day for free (not at the restaurant). We perfectly understand that some rates may appear higher in Bora Bora compared to Resorts in Europe or in the USA. French Polynesia is much appreciated as a secluded & protected chain of paradisiacal islands. This exceptional geographical situation has consequences: taxes are very high, transportation and all imported products are particularly expensive and the Resorts need to impact its operating costs.
We are pleased to learn that overall you had a nice sojourn and that you enjoyed our service and facilities.