“Honeymoon of a Life Time”

InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We traveled to Bora Bora on the second portion of our honeymoon after spending 4 nights in Moorea. The island is unbelievable and we were blessed with a couple of days of pure bliss (weather-wise). The only compliant I could possibly have about this trip is it rained for 3 days while we were there. I would highly suggest, that when paying what it costs to come to Bora Bora, come during dry season (April to September). It will be more expensive, however you will be able to fully enjoy every day. There was a couple days we spent in our bungalo because the weather didn't allow us out to do anything else.

The hotel itself is fantastic. We were greeted by the general manager, thanked for being an Ambassador member (which I would highly recommend - got us an upgrade in Moorea and Bora Bora) and basically treated like royalty while on the hotel grounds. The free shuttle to Thallaso is nice as well, because if you want a change of scenery, you can go over to the sister resort. We weren't planning on going there, however with the rain, we decided to take advantage of the Spa facilities over there, which were amazing.

The food is great and everyone at the hotel is extremely accommodating. The rooms were very nice and the bathroom is fantastic. If you are interested in seeing the inside of the room, check out my youtube link:

Some quick cool things about the hotel/trip:
1) Visit the town once, it's cool but will only take you about an hour or two to see everything.
2) Excursions really make the trip - Pure Snorkeling was our favorite.
3) The location of this hotel is ideal because it is on the main island, which means it is easier to get to restaurants (Check out Bloody Mary's - some of the best and the freshest seafood I've ever had. The hotel resturant is fantastic too - we ate there every day for lunch and every night but the night we went to Bloody Mary's.
4) If you've read other reviews, you've seen comments about the wind. This was not a factor for us. There was a comfortable breeze, but it is a humid 85 degrees, so the breeze was welcomed.

Hotel was fantastic, trip of a life time, everyone is accommodating. Highly recommended.

3  Thank Jordan F
lemoanaresort, Executive Secretary at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Mr Jordan F, Ia orana!
We thank you for your kind recommandations. The upgrade (submitted to availability) is effectively one of various benefits we are very pleased to offer to our Ambassador members.
We thank you for choosing our Establishment for your Honeymoon! Please receive our best wishes.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Most likely our family's last spring break vacation. Wit pending college graduations, that will put the pressure on as everyone will try too hard. We had a great time. This could be one of the best venues on the island if you are there more than a couple of days. There are newer, more expensive, and exotic properties on the Island. However, The Intercontinental gives you two resorts in one location. Several of the resorts are on the reef island surrounding the lagoon. It means you are captive to the property without a boat taxi to the main island or other attractions. La moana is on the nicest beach on the island and until mid afternoon ther are free shuttle boats to sister property which has work out facilities, a terrific spa, manta ray feedings and currently top notch luxury appointed public buildings. The mainland property has a smaller more intimate setting. A smaller more indigenous scale fitting the location. It has beautiful views and access to many other activities. You have the ability to walk to other resorts, have restaurant taxis pick you up for meals, attractions are also within walking distance like boat, jetski or atv rentals.
We thought of it as the best of both worlds. If you were up early, you could have breakfast at other resort and use the work out room and come back for scuba diving in the afternoon. Then get picked up for any of the excellent dining options on the main island. We had two bungalows and felt the accommodations were very comfortable. Staff went out of their way as were touched by a tropical storm with damaging winds on our first days. It could have been a disaster but it was not. On any return trim to the Island, I know where I will stay.

Room Tip: spa at other location
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank steve r
lemoanaresort, Executive Secretary at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear steve r,
Ia orana !
We thank you for sharing your experience. Learning that your family could enjoy your stay in Bora Bora despite the weather conditions is rewarding to us and our personnel. We are looking forward welcoming you again!
Warm Regards, Isabelle

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed here from march 4th-7th. We stayed in an over water bungalow which was amazing and beautiful inside. The people there go out of their way to make you as comfortable as possible. The view was beautiful from our deck and we had immediate access to the lagoon from our deck also to swim and snorkel. We went for our anniversary and it was perfect. We visited their sister island by boat which they provided at no charge and it was also amazing. We joined one of the locals there in feeding the rays raw tuna. It was an awesome experience! The beach there was beautiful and we spent 1/2 a day there. Drinks were expensive but we were already prepared for that. I would recommend a bike ride of the island to experience the full beauty of this island. Bora Bora is our favorite of our island vacations for the relaxation and beauty. The garden at this hotel is amazingly tropical. :)

Room Tip: Some of the bungalows are way out from the island so a longer walk back to the island. Ours was in t...
2  Thank Barbara M
lemoanaresort, Executive Secretary at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Barbara M,
Ia orana from Bora Bora!
We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay on our beautiful island and that you did appreciate our service and facilities. Your experience is a good demonstration that our personnel is always happy and proud for sharing their culture.
Thank you for choosing our Establishement for your anniversary and for your kind review.
Best regards

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Bungalow 72 - overlooking lagoon of resort. Has private deck with built-in benches and table. Deck also has private ladder to climb down and swim or snorkel. Staff is helpful and courteous. Infinity pool overlooking natural lagoons with Breath-taking views throughout hotel. Best time to visit is during the slower season for me and family.Will return again! Mauruuru! (Thank You)

Room Tip: Quiet with more privacy. Can see a glimpse of the sunrise in the morning from outside deck or bayvie...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Malia K
lemoanaresort, Executive Secretary at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Malia K from Hawaii,
Ia orana !
We are very pleased to learn that you did appreciate our facilities and services that much.
The 'Le Moana' is looking forward welcoming you and your family again.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

First things first, booking.
I called about 6 travel agents to price out various trips along with identilcal trips to compare who was going to offer the best pricing. Surprisingly enough Costco travel had the best rates over anyone. I had to become a member, but that fee is only $50 so it was defintely worth it. Along that same line, if you open a American Express card with Costco you will get either 1% 2% or 3% cash back, i can't remember which. All together with flights, hotel, food and activities we spent prob close to 10k. Costco arranged flights from LA to Tahiti, then we had a overnight in tahiti, they also arranged transfers to and from airports, then flew out the next morning to Bora Bora. When we got bora bora, we had a boat shuttle to our hotel (so beautiful and best shuttle you will EVER take)

We orig looked at going to Tahiti or Moorea or Bora Bora or combination of both. After talking with friends who went, we jsut wanted all of our time on Bora Bora. i'm not sure how long you guys will be going but I thought it was nice to just get to bora bora and relax, and glad we did. t was nice to just hunker down and be where we were going to be. We were there for 9 days. I have friends that have gone for longer (i wish we could have) and they did a little bit of island hopping).

There are ways to cut a bit of the costs if you need to. We stayed on a permium overwater suite I believe it was called. It was AMAZING. Glass floor to feed fish right through the floor and you can go swimming right off your own personal doc. If you are looking to cut cost you could stay at a beach suite for a few nights then a overwater suite for a few nights. i tell ya though, it was amazing and every penny worth it. If you are spending the money to go to bora bora, get the overwater bungalow

We stayed at the Intercontinental Le Moana. We choose this resort because it has great reviews and it was on the main island. There are a couple benefits to this. If you want ot go to the grocery story (i'll talk about this later) or go take a walk to get some food at a different resaurants you could go do that. Some restaurants you could take a taxi to if you wish, but some were within walking distance. Another benfit to the Le Moana is that it is the only resort that you can see the sunrise and sunset from the restort. I loved it. The other comparable resorts are on the motu. We went to check out a few of the other ones. The resort had kayaks and fins and masks for oyu to use free of charge too.

We went to the Intercontinental Thallaso for a day once and neither my husband or i cared for it. It reminded us both of a fancy vegas hotel. way too fancy. You are in the french polynesian and the culture there is so relaxed and laid back. At the thallaso it is not so much the polynesian culture but more fancy. Nice, but not our style.

The other hotel that we went to I really liked. it was the Le Meridian. I really liked this hotel bc they had the turtle sancutary where you go swim in the lagoon to go see and swim with the sea turtles. They do a feeding every day. From these overwater suites you look at the mountain on the main island. it was pretty, but personally, I liked our hotel better. If you don't stay here, you can take a water taxi over to the Le Meridian to swim with the sea turtles. me and my husband both really loved this.

Room Tip: Over the water bungalow!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sunnygal1105
lemoanaresort, Executive Secretary at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Sunnygal1105,
Ia orana!

We are very pleased to learn that our Resort was your best experience, among your various experiences during those 9 days staying in Bora Bora, and that we could really meet your expectations. You'll be very welcome again; maybe for your wedding anniversary...?

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed for six days in March and the overwater bungalow was SPECTACULAR. It was huge, with a nice living room, giant comfortable bed, huge bathroom, nice deck that was only partially covered so we were able to choose whether to be in the sun. Being able to step into the ocean right from your deck was really cool. One downside was that it was super shallow - water only up to my waist so it wasn't really like swimming so much. Water was so gorgeous though we loved it. I should mention we were in bungalow #1 so maybe the water was deeper on the outer bungalows.

The staff is primarily women and just about every one of them seemed to have a forced smile as though they barely tolerated our presence. It felt very weird to me. The men were pretty friendly, but the women are definitely in charge of this hotel.

Breakfast was a buffet that had awesome fruit but seriously icky eggs, and some passable crêpes and french toast. The coffee was actually undrinkable. We went up the street to the market and got fruit and yoghurt, bread and cheese and had a nice little breakfast in our room instead.

MaiTais were all sugar, little alcohol, and they actually watered down our martinis. Only drank beer (expensively) a few times there after that. Bought beer at the market instead.

I should say that the concierges (a man and a woman) were both lovely and enthusiastic and very helpful. They stood out above the wait staff and front desk.

Here's another weirdness. The air conditioning was on full blast in our bungalow and the wall switch they said would turn it on/off didn't do anything. We talked to the front desk for two days while we shivered even with the doors wide open to let in the hot air before they gave us a remote that would actually control the a/c. After that we were super comfortable, but I think they don't have enough remotes to go around. Might want to ask for one up front.

There was a huge storm while we were there that actually damaged some of the thatched roofs, but they were very quick to come out and repair them. We felt cared for and protected by the staff.

Again awesome bungalows, excellent location, but don't eat there! Fare Manuia is right at the end of the driveway and is awesome. Great wood fired pizzas, but also very elegant French-style meals. We had several tuna dishes that were all awesome and the steak was superb.

Room Tip: Might want to be farther out on the dock than the very first room.
4  Thank Allison S

Dear Allison S,
We read carefully your review. Whereas those comments are not usual, we regret that we couldn't meet your expectations on some points and the Department Heads concerned will debate on the subject for the next meeting.
We thank you for enlightening your point of views, non forgetting to underline the very good points. Would you have the opportunity to come back and visit us, we'll be pleased to demonstrate the traditional friendliness and know how our guests mostly appreciate.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We spent 4 nights in this resort and I can't be happier about our choice

Location and facilities of the resort.
- Overwater bungalows are very pretty with glass coffee tables for you to observe / feed the fish in the ocean.
- Nice pool with warm water and the view out to the crystal clear water.
- The best beach in Bora Bora (Matira beach) is across the street from the resort, which has calm water and is a great spot to watch the sunset.
- 15 minute walk to a mini-market or easy shuttle ride to Vaitape where you can withdraw cash from ATMs or stock up food / drinks from a larger super market.
- Local restaurants will always arrange free pick-up and drop-off due to its main island location.
- The view of the mountain and the multi-coloured water is amazing. I know people say Intercon Thalasso has a much better view. I think they both have amazing views and just look at the mountain from different angles.
- I had dinner at La Moana the night before we left and was surprised by the quality of food. The main was really tasty and the dessert was the best I had in French Polynesia. The price of food and wine is very reasonable as well. I wish I had discovered this earlier.
- Breakfast has a good variety of food and is more than adequate.
- We received our free champagne as part of the honeymoon package as soon as we settled into our bungalow. Great start to a fantastic holiday.
- There is a small snack place about 2 or 3 minute walk from the resort called "Roulotte Matira", with very cheap and tasty tuna club sandwich for lunch, cash only though.
- Staff and management are truly friendly here. They do their utmost best to make your stay memorable. We first got a bungalow close to the dock. When I mentioned I'd like to move a bit further away from the beach, they immediately checked and advised that I could move the next day when another guests moved out. And what a beautiful bungalow that I moved to! Moreover they also offered a free night at Thalasso for us on our last night so that we could experience two different resorts during our stay. We actually got a diamond room which was the last one into the ocean, directly facing the mountain. It was a really nice gesture of the hotel that we greatly appreciated.
- All staff at the resorts are keen to help. The beach boys taught me how to do pedal board and showed us where to go for the best snorkelling.
- The concierge was always happy to recommend activities and restaurants to us.
- With us moving from one bungalow to another, then to another resort, we never needed to worry about our luggages, they were always looked after by the porters and it was completely care-free.
- The management and staff are always happy to have a chat and make you feel truly welcome.
- They left a letter the nights before our moves with all details regarding the moving which I thought was very helpful and professional.

While Thalasso is more luxurious, I prefer La Moana due to its fantastic staff and management and would recommend this resort to anyone who visits the beautiful Bora Bora.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the mountain have a more striking view with multi-coloured water and the mountain i...
1  Thank Beans23
lemoanaresort, General Manager at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Beans23 Iaorana,

We hope you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

Iaorana,

Thank you so much for your kind review, your fair and detailed comments are greatly appreciated. The chef and his team will be more than happy to read your warm comments on the food quality. We are delighted to discover your feedback and are glad that you put our resort as your first choice in Bora Bora should you wish to come back.

Mrs Laurence Levy