“Wonderful experience!!”

InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
“Wonderful experience!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Le Moana in January 2012 for our 10 year anniversary. We tried to do a lot of research before hand to ensure the best choice possible for what we wanted (location/price/activities)…and we found it! Even though this is the rainy season we never had rain the whole time we were there. There were some menacing clouds our last afternoon there, but we never had any rain.

Things we liked:

The location of the Le Moana is excellent! It is steps away from the only real beach (Matira Beach) on the Island. Although Matira Beach is busy, the private beach at the Resort is nice and sandy as well. Matira Beach does slow down in the evening and makes for an excellent sunset viewing point, grab a take-out pizza from the restaurant next door and enjoy-that’s what we did.
All the staff was friendly and enjoyable. I tried to move a beach chair by myself but was quickly relieved of that by a kind young woman who quickly came over to help. We loved the guys who ran the beach hut (where you get your snorkel equip./kayaks), the front desk staff was quick to help and all of our requests were quickly met. The concierge was helpful as well. The initial greeting as you arrived from the airport was great-a staff member waiting for us at the dock to check us in, take our bags.
We liked how intimate the resort was (compared to the Thalasso which we felt was sprawling…more about that later).
The setting was truly picturesque. Sand colored water that goes to turquoise to deep blue.
The bungalows have live rock under the glass coffee table which attracts beautiful fish.
The game room with ping pong tables-something additional to do which we enjoy
Lots of restaurants and a well stocked market within 15 minutes walking distance. Our mini refrigerator was never stocked so we could even purchase refrigerated items at the store to keep in our room.
Free water taxi between the Le Moana and the Thalasso.
Transfer rooms for guests to use on departure days so that even after check-out time, we could still enjoy everything Bora Bora and this resort had to offer and then be able to shower before leaving.
A coral garden is within kayak distance of the resort, you can see it from the outer docks. There are tours which you have to pay for to take you to this same place. We kayaked there in 20 minutes and spent the morning snorkeling at our leisure.

Things we didn’t care for:

The breakfast buffet was better than average (made to order eggs/omelets, breads, fruits, breakfast meats…), but coming from the Intercontinental in Mo’orea and Tahiti, it was lacking. There was significantly less to choose from compared to the other sister resorts.
The thermostat for the bungalows had to be adjusted by the front desk. If anything our bungalow was too cold—easy to fix by opening a door, but kind of wasteful. We mostly turned the fan on or off and that controlled the temperature pretty well.
The shower area in the bungalows was only designated by a 2” drop from the main bathroom floor. It is a little close to the vanity and if you’re not careful, a simple step backwards and you’re in the shower, almost twisted my ankle a couple times.
The in-room safe was smallish, only could fit a couple cameras and wallet. Barely fit my ipad, don’t plan on putting any laptops in there. We did find it open once when we were pretty sure we closed it. Nothing was missing, but a little odd. This also happened in Mo’orea…I don’t think it was user error…I’m hoping for technical malfunction.
The worst thing for us was the ladder from our bungalow into the water had a really mossy top step in the water. Eww (just imagine that first gooey step-blah!). My husband did a fair job cleaning it off for me, but that shouldn’t have been there.

We did go out to the motu to visit the Thalasso. Their beach was not much compared to the Le Moana (no sand, only raked hard white compacted dirt—it does look pretty, but doesn’t feel very good). The pool was a bigger and there was a gym and a tennis court and of course their spa. The grounds are much grander at the Thalasso and their view of the Mountain can’t be beat. From the pool we enjoyed live music. Their bungalows are larger as well (not that the ones at the Le Moana are small by any means). One thing that really bugged out there was since it is such a large property, the staff uses golf carts to get around. We constantly had to move over and wait for them to pass. This did not happen once or twice. We stayed out there for an hour and a half and it happened 6 times! That would have gotten really old really fast.

Room Tip: The further out you go the better the view--but the more you have to walk to and from everything. Th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kenneybee
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Ia orana from Bora Bora,
Dear Happy Guests,

You loved the whole package of the local experience and you did get it back in return. Don't you think ? Once you understand how it works the life becomes easy and peaceful.
We would like to thank you for your wonderfull review. It is a real pleasure to reach our guests expectation and so grateful for all of us to read them.

We thank you again for your stay and don't hesitate to contact us should you wish to come back next year.

Laurence Levy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Just came back from Bora Bora last week and had a great time.We spent 4nts and 5 days perfect. It was Tuesday to Saturday Other than one host who had been rude the first night ( who redeemed himself for the rest of our stay) the staff at the hotel were wonderful and helpful. The general manager a woman who I did not remember her name was wonderful and helpful also and gave us shell necklaces on our departure by boat to the airport.
I do highly reccomend this hotel as it is the most convenient of all the places as it is on the main island and close to the public beach other restaurants ,bike rentals and small grocery stores. I almost chose Le Meridien but was told by my great travel agent that it would be more difficult to get around as you would have to use the ferry service to get to the main island. The island is very expensive and even though it is great to be totally secluded on a motu ( a island made of coral) you would only have access to total expensive hotel meals.
I have one complaint though. We wanted to go to the Turtle Sanctuary at Le Meridien and were told at our hotel that we could not have access do to the low season.(end of summer) Only Le Meridien guests would be allowed. We did not want to swim with the turtles just see them. We would have paid and ate lunch there. I wrote Le Meridien before leaving and they also said only if they had room on the ferry and that their guests came first. Bad policy.
I think that that is very bad business and would not reccomend Le Meridien to anyone.
To go to Bora Bora was a long trip for us and not to see the turtles was upsetting to say the least. Well to end on a good note. Bora Bora was the most beautiful place in the world and way better than the Carribean and Hawaii.

P.S. Bring cd's and mp3 players if you have them. DVD's can be borrowed at the store on the grounds or you can bring them too.
Snorkling equiptment, Paddle boads and kayaks are included for use and a small power boat with a canvas top and 6 hp motor can be rented .

Room Tip: Horizon over the water bungalow was fabulous.. We stayed in #17 5th from the left and the walk to i...
3 Thank kappy26
Ia orana from Bora Bora,
Dear Valuable guests,

We are taking the opportunity to thank you for your nice review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the property, the staff and the service, your bungalow number, and the lagoon. Being on the main island makes life easy it is so true.

We look forward to welcome you in the future, at home away form home.

Montreal
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in an Overwater Bungalow from January 24-28, 2012. We had arranged for all transfers to be included with our trip. There is a hotel representative available for you at the airport upon arrival. I think the I/C Le Moana may be the furthest hotel from the airport but the water trasport gives you an opportunity to see one complete side of the island and motu's on your way to the hotel. We dropped a few guests off at the Thalasso first and continued to Le Moana. You are greeted at the boat dock upon arrival at the hotel. We were given a fruit juice drink to have while they took our credit card info etc. We were given a brief tour of the property and escorted promptly to our OWB.
The I/C allows you a free water shuttle boat between the two properties. This is great because we got to enjoy 2 beautiful hotel properties and amenities and you can have everything charged to your room, even at the other location. Thalasso has a 2pm Ray feeding in the bay. We took the free shuttle over for an afternoon. We spent the afternoon in the pool and then watched them feed the rays. You can get in the water with them. It's a little slimy but cool. I prefer the pool at Le Moana. It is smaller than the Thalasso but it has a little shade. This way you can still hang out in the water and not have the sun beating down on you. Don't forget the sunscreen. We tried to stay in the shade as much as possible because whenever we were in the water we were in direct sunlight.
We had booked our trip with a half board meal plan. We had breakfast and supper included in our 4 days. The reviews I read on Trip Advisor were very helpful for this. Since I knew before leaving Montreal that meals were very expensive in Bora Bora, we got them to add it in to our package price. The food and the service were both very good. We had a minor problem on the 1st night with a glass of wine. There were 2 people serving us at our table and the person who took my order was not the same person that brought the drink. I ordered the white wine from the Table D'Hote menu but was charged for a more expensive wine. When I got the bill at the end of dinner I complained that I had not ordered the 1200 XFP wine but wanted the 900 XFP glass. They told me that I had been served the more expensive wine so I had to pay for it. Our waitress saw that I was not happy about that and she informed the Food & Beverage manager. The next evening we were offered a free drink with dinner to make up for the problem. I was extremely satisfied with the way the staff always made sure that we were happy and enjoying our stay. Every evening at dinner the hotel manager Laurence, would go around to all the tables and ask how things were going and if we had any problems. They always wanted to fix any issues right away. This is the type of service other hotels should try to imitate. The I/C did not wait for us to leave to find out if anything was wrong.
We had booked an excursion from the hotel during our stay. Again we experienced a minor problem with the tour. We were supposed to be picked up at 9:15 and the guide forgot us. Our guide finally picked us up 1 hour later but the hotel credited the whole trip charge. We did not ask for a refund, nor did we expect a refund. We got to go on the tour anyway and I think we may have received a much better service because they were trying to make up for being late. I think the I/C made this one of our best trips ever. I have never been treated so well. They went way beyond what I would expect from the hotel. Thanks for a great experience. I would definitely reccommend the I/C Le Moana.
I highly recommend the Shark and Ray observer tour. We were truly impressed with this excursion. We were only 4 people on the tour. It was a little scary getting into the water with sharks when you are not a large number of people. I imagined that there would be about 10-15 people on the tour. I figured my chances of being attacked by a shark with a group that big were pretty small. I told myself that I had to get in the water, I will never have this chance again. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. We saw many small reef sharks, they never come closer than 5 feet. There were probably about 8-10 of them swimming around us. There were 4 scuba divers below our boat when we tied up outside of the reef to see the Lemon Sharks. There were 2 Lemon Sharks about 10-12 feet long swimming below us. Our guide dove down and grabbed the sharks back fin and swam with it. I thought he was crazy. The good news was he got the shark to swim up closer to the top for us to get pictures with the underwater camera. What a super fun day this was.
I/C Le Moana also supply snorkeling gear, canoes, kayaks etc for free. The Coral Garden is a short kayak ride directly in front of the resort. We took a kayak over and left it on the shore near the Garden. You swim around and see all the different fish. We were lucky to have been there when a tour boat showed up because the guide swam down to a spot in the coral and got a Japanese Moray eel that was about 6 feet long and about 1 foot in diameter to come out of its hiding place. We would never have seen the eel if we hadn't been there during one of the tours. If you kayak over around 10am there should be a tour between 10 and noon.
We booked this trip during the rainy low season. We must be blessed because it did not rain the whole time we were there. Sunny blue skies with hardly any clouds. Temperatures in the low 90's. The best thing about the hotel is it is on the breezy side of the island. There are less bugs than the hotels on the motu's and the heat isn't as bad because there is always a beautful breeze.
Also the fact that the resort is on the main island, you can walk to the store for some snacks and drinks to keep in the minibar fridge. And you can go to some of the local places to eat lunch. You won't go wrong staying at this resort. If you are planning to stay longer than we did, you won't get bored because you can always go over to the Thalasso and see something different.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lynn079
Ia Orana from Bora Bora,
Dear guests from cold Canada,

First we would like to thank you for your nice comments and send you some sun to go through your cold winter. We thank you for staying with us and our proud to read your review.It is like a gift to read that you enjoyed every single minute in our lovely Resort.

We shall still here next year if you find your winter to cold, please come back in Le Moana Family.

Mrs Laurence Levy
New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 18, 2012

From a Horizon Overwater Bungalow at the Le Moana, you can get the best view in Bora Bora. The lagoon changes colour from sand-yellow to sky blue to deep blue, ending in the majestic mountains of the Bora Bora Island. This is Paradise, if it exists on Earth.

Positives:
* View to die for. Clear water around the bungalow, water is about chest deep. We even had a sting-ray swimming around our bungalow - amazingly beautiful.
* All overwater bungalows have a glass table (with coral beneath it in the water), through which you can see fish in the water.
* Food in the restaurant is good (but limited vegetarian choices)
* Bungalows are very nice & large. Separate sitting room, king-bed, large bathroom with separate shower. Large outside deck with stairs into the lagoon.
* On the main Island, which means it is possible to walk to local restaurants & grocery stores (though the choices are limited). They run a bus services to Vaitape (local town) where you can buy souvenirs and groceries. There is a small grocery store about 10min walk from the resort.
* Free Kayaks, canoes, snorkels.
* The General Manager goes around greeting all guests personally at dinner. We complained to her about our room, and she helped us change it immediately.
* Is on the only natural beach in Bora Bora - where you actually see some locals too, and not just tourists.

Negatives:
* Very expensive for a 4-star resort (but that is standard pricing in Bora Bora)
* Avoid the breakfast buffet - very limited choices, the food finishes fast and expensive
* One or two of the staff members could do with training in politeness (but overall the staff were helpful & nice).

A very beautiful resort, and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Overwater Horizon Bungalows (with views of the lagoon & mountains) are much better than the Lago...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank villdre
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Ia Orana from Bora Bora,
Dear valuable guests,

We thank you for your great comments regarding our resort and are pelase to read that we have quite reach your expectations. I feel very concern regarding your negatives points the most important regarding the two staff who were impolite, and you can beleive me this is not the way we wish to treat our guests. This information will be share with the whole team in order to identify thoses staff member and I deeply apologies for the inconveniences caused. The second point would be regarding the Breakfast. I think there are really some choices that I won't writte down here because it would be to long but one thing to know is that we always receive some special request from one guest to another and are always very please to found a positive solution if the item can be found on the island.

Once again we thank you for your precious comments who help us to improve our quality of service.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Class! Words cannot explain the beauty that I experienced by staying at this resort. The resort grounds were breathtaking. The pool was stunning and the beach is steps away. If you want to be treated like royalty, this is the place. Walking distance to market and restaurants. Located on the island. Do not have to take a boat to get to mainland. You are on the mainland. This is the windy side of the island, so expect it to be windy all the time. It is tolerable. You have access to thalasso resort and this makes this resort worth staying and worth the price. You get the best of both sides of the island. You get the ocean effect and then can experience the lagoon effect. Would not recommend the island resort dance. The breakfast buffet was exquisite. Everything you could imagine for breakfast. Oh did I mention it was included. We went to the market for lunch meat, snacks, and the French bread for lunch and our nightly snacks. This will save you, because diDnner can be expensive. Utilize the market . The pizza place outside the resort is excellent. That is where we met our new delicacy New Zealand mussels. bloody Mary's is worth the money. Sand floor and picking out your fresh catch dinner . Don't forget the bug spray. Sand fleas get ya and you don't know it. Rent a car for the over all island tour. Animal lovers beware, there are many dogs all over the island. Let's just say the island life for them is hard. I made best friends almost immediately. They remember you, once you give them food. The islanders do not bother you.Would go back tomorrow . Breathtaking, beauty, and a privelage to be able to experience this resort and island

Room Tip: Bungalows are worth the walk on the beautiful and well maintained docks
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Ia Orana From Bora Bora,
Dear valuable guests,

We are very proud to read that since march 2011, you still have fresh and good memories of your stay with us. We are happy to know that we have reach your expectation and that you loved the scenary which is indeed very special. You feel that meals outside the hotel are cheaper. We have obligations in terms of policy concerning equipment safety and food hygiene that you don't have in the restaurants of the island. Also we serve meals from 06:30 to 21:00 every day which is not the case of local restaurants that have more limited opening hours. And the last we are located on one of the nicest spot in Bora Bora on the seasisde, when most of the restaurant are on the road side.

However we thank you very much for your nice comments and hope to weclome you in the future.

Mrs Laurence Levy
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We just got back from our honeymoon and we loved loved loved this hotel. We would not stay at any other hotel in Bora Bora. The food was fantastic...the presentation of the food was our favorite part...everything looked so put together with such creativity. We spent a week in the overwater bungalow #14. It was beautiful and very clean everyday. The view was amazing and the water was pretty calm the whole time. The weather was beautiful everyday even though this is the rainy season. The staff was so helpful and many spoke English which was helpful for us. We felt so peaceful and taken care of at this hotel!!! We never even went to the Thalasso hotel because we loved our hotel so much. We want to come back!

1 Thank Corie M
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Corie and Nick,

How wonderful to read you! We’re very honored that the InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort could participate to make your honeymoon so memorable. You’ll be very welcome ever. Maybe for a wedding anniversary… ? Truly yours,

Laurence Lévy
Genetal Manager
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 12, 2012

My husband and I just spent a wonderful 5 days at the InterContinental Le Moana Resort. From the moment Matilde greeted us at the dock upon arrival to the send off at the end of our vacation, the staff at the Le Moana was so pleasant and attentive. We stayed in an over water bungalow and had beautiful views of the lagoon. I don't think there is an unpleasant view from anywhere in Bora Bora. We were close to the dock, but the whole resort is very quiet and the boats were fun to watch. The Concierge, Laurent, was very helpful when we were making our choices for our excursions. We really enjoyed the snorkeling tour with Simon. Well worth it. We dined two evenings at the hotel and the food was amazing. Steeve was very attentive to the service and we appreciated all his efforts to make it a wonderful experience. We really liked the fact that you can shuttle between the Thalasso resort and the Le Moana. We preferred the Le Moana by far as the place to stay. It is smaller and more Polynesian which we preferred. There are also much nicer breezes in the afternoon and it is nice to be closer to town and the beach for the sunsets in the evening. It was heartbreaking to leave and we hope to one day return. We will FOR SURE stay at the Le Moana again. Thank you to Matilde, Laurent, Steeve and of course Laurence for the wonderful experience they provided! Matt and Stacie

Dear Stacie and Matt,

Your kind message reached all of us and we would like to thank you in return.
Whishing you all the best and a joyful sweet Valentine Day.

Truly yours,