“Go for the splurge”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Boston
“Go for the splurge”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We have just enjoyed 3 nights in an overwater bungalow at this lovely property. Our accommodations were beautifully decorated, spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. We booked a horizon bungalow that was a way out on the walkway. Again, it was rather quiet as it is the "rainy" season, but we were lucky enough to have all but one day of beautiful sunshine. We loved being able to swim right off our own deck in the aqua-colored water and even discovered we had been adopted by a fish we called Oscar who seemed to like swimming with us as he shadowed us whenever we were in the water (we prefer to think he enjoyed playing with us rather than think he was looking for food treats!).

The grounds were well maintained and we enjoyed swimming in the infinity pool. Beach towels, snorkel equipment, kayaks and canoes were available at no cost. The staff was very friendly and efficient. The check-in process was delightful and we enjoyed meeting Cedric who did a great job of checking us in, taking us on a tour of the hotel and explaining about all the hotel's amenities.

We had one dinner at the hotel which was very good and included a charming Polynesian show on the beach right in front of us. The hotel is located within a quick walk of several other more casual restaurants and snack bars, so it is easy to sample several other restaurants for lunch or dinner. Also most of the restaurants on the island will pick you up for dinner, so you can try other places if you don't rent a car or scooter while in Bora Bora.

One thing we really loved was the ability to use many of the facilities at the other Intercontinental property (the Thalasso Spa Hotel) on the motu. A boat shuttle takes you between properties at various times during the day and evening. Again, we were greeted by a very friendly staff member who welcomed us to the hotel and provided us with information about the facilities available to us. We enjoyed their larger swimming pool which is located with a great view of the white sand beach.

Our plan included an American breakfast and the selection was very good. Don't miss the crepes done to order as well as eggs, pain perdu (French toast) and pancakes. Great selection of fruits, yogurts, juices and cereals for those wanting a more healthy start to the day.

The overwater bungalows are expensive, but it is a wonderful splurge that everyone should experience at least once in their lives. Perfect weather makes it even more special. We hope to return some day. The friendly staff, lovely location and beautiful accommodations make this property a perfect choice for a delightful stay in Bora Bora.

Room Tip: Horizon bungalows further out on the walkway are quieter, although it is a little walk back to the h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nylorac63
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear Guests,

We thank you for taking some of your precious time to share your feelings about our Resort.

We’re very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property. I forwarded your kind mention to my team who will undoubtedly appreciate. Yours sincerely,

Laurence Lévy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I enjoyed 5 fabulous nights in an overwater bungalow. What a gorgeous location and facility! The staff were so friendly and we enjoyed every moment. The facility was very nice and the food was good. We signed up for the 1/2 board and were very pleased we did as we were able to enjoy the amenities of the Thalasso as well (a romantic 20 minute boat ride away, complimentary). Some of our stand out experiences include: daily snorkeling right off our own dock, renting a boat and going around the island, jet skiing (wave running), feeding the fish that were under our bungalow through the coffee table hidey hole, dinners at the Thalassoa and Bloody Mary. Overall though it was terrific trip and the staff were charming and sweet.
Note: Don't bother with the ATV excursion, it was a disappointment although the views were beautiful. Also, we had some difficulties with overcharges that checkout staff did not know how to adjust, and calls were not successful, so we were forced to go to the credit card to adjust.

Room Tip: The bungalows farthest from the pathway (i.e., last bungalow on the pier) offer the most privacy...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank csored
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear valuable guests,

We are taking the opportunity to thank you for your great comments. We are very pleased to get your feed back. I would like to apologises for the inconveniences caused during your check out and shall see with the team what had happened. I will also contact the excursion that did not reach your expectation for our future guests.

We wish you all the best for 2012

Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Stayed over Christmas through New Years. Resort is a great spot on the island. Stayed in an overwater bungalow. Waist deep crystal blue water. The kids loved it. Nice pool and restaurant. Breakfast buffet was exceptionally well stocked and delicicous. Dinner was great too. Our room was great and the staff knocked themselves out to please us. Bora Bora is an expensive destination and you need to understand your resort is everything. Think "chill", not "spring break". And if you want to chill, you will love this place!

Room Tip: Get an overwater bungalow, you only live once
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FarmerBen_61
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Ia Orana from Bora Bora,
Dear Valuables guests,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to writte such nice comments. We are happy to read that we have reach your expectations and that you enjoyed the New Year's Eve with us. We wish you all the best gor 2012.

Dresden, Ohio
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We celebrated New Years with our daughter and son inlaw at this incredible resort. The bungalows were magnificent, clean and had every amenity you could want. The New Years Eve dinner and show were both tops in performance. The hospitality and friendliness exceeded our expectations from the staff and manager. We noticed the manager welcoming the guests then
returning to the tables to personally welcome and meet everyone individually.
Beach equipment was clean,well maintained and plentiful.
As you might expect in Bora Bora, the water is unbelievable!
Fablous resort in a dream location!
D H

Room Tip: Bungalows were private and gave immediate water access.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank David H
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Dear guest,
I’m very happy to learn that you and your family enjoyed your sojourn with us. We thank you for choosing the InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort to celebrate the New Year. Whishing all the Best, Laurence Lévy
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My wife and I recently honeymooned here, and we were blown away by the beauty and hospitality offered. We were there over Chirstmas, and we had carollers come to our overwater bungalow and sing on Christams eve, and then they gave us Christmas gifts (a couple of free cocktail voucher for the bar and some chocolates). We also received honeymoon gifts of a t-shirt, parea, and bottle of Champaigne! Every night, we returned to our room to find cookies wrapped in a palm leaf canoe. I could not get enough of the view from our bungalow deck, overlooking the blue lagoon and Mount Otemanu. Snorkeling off our dock, I saw moray eels, a spotted ray, several eagle rays, an octpus, and several tropical fish. Le Moana is located next to Matira Beach, which has great sunset views. There is an hourly shuttle boat to Intercontinental Thalasso (out on a motu), where you can visit the spa, or use the beach and pool facilities. The Thalasso facilities are newer, bigger, and more contemporary by design. We had lunch at the bar before our spa appointment there, and I felt like I was in some South Beach lounge, not on a beautiful tropical paradise. It is also much more expensive and opulant. My wife swears she met Nicole Kidman in the bar bathroom (although I am skeptical)! Conversely, Le Moana's facilities are a little older and more traditional Tahitian by design, but clean and very well maintained / groomed. Plus, Le Moana gives you convenient access to the local shops/villages, and a variety of restaurants on the main island. So when considering the decadence of the Intercontiental Thalasso resort versus the convenience (and reasonable price) of Le Moana, despite the regular shuttles from the motu to the main island, I feel it defeats the purpose of a laid back island vacation if I had to be on a schedule in order to catch the shuttle boat back to my room. Also, my personality is that I would probably feel confined on a motu, whereas being on te main island allows me the freedom to go exploring, while still having the ability to utilize the Thalasso facilities if I desired. Therefore, I would choose Le Moana every time, and I would make the same recommendation to friends and family (and online strangers).

Room Tip: If selecting an overwater bungalow, splurge for one at the end of the pier, looking back onto Mt. Ot...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank thove25
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Ia Orana from Bora Bora,
Dear guests,

I'm happy you enjoyed your Christmas holidays so much. Fortunately, Santa Claus likes coming for a break in the sun with us every year and we're pleased to share those magical moments with our guests. May I whish you a Happy New Year. All the best to you and your family,

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We celebrated Christmas Eve in this Hotel - one of the best Christmas Celebration in our life!
Enjoyed every minute of our stay - bungalows are awesome and comfortable - You step on a white sandy beach from Your room, views are astonishing.
Just be prepared to wait at the bar - service is very slow (relax).

Room Tip: Looks like bungalows on the beach (garden) are more comfortable for those who like suntanning
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Marusya757
lemoanaresort, Directeur général at InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Best Guests,

Thank you so much for this wonderfull title. I can't add anything I feel so happy that our whole team have reach such expectations.

Have a wonderful 2012 year and don't hesitate to come back we shall be here next year.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I just got back from an amazing trip to Bora Bora and feel completely refreshed. My wife and I celebrated our 5th anniversary and wanted to go on a relaxing vacation (after three years of cruises – which were very fun, but felt a little too busy at times); we found a package deal through Costco Travel which included InterContental’s Le Moana resort on Bora Bora for five nights (with two more at another InterContental property in Tahiti). I cannot recall ever seeing a more beautiful island or experiencing a more pleasant and friendly group of service professionals. From Steeve, Tuarama, to my canoe ride teaching ‘cousin’ (I wish I could remember his name, but he was one of the coolest characters I have ever met) to the executive director Lawrence, they all demonstrated a genuine kindness in helping make our trip memorable. Observing the staff working here and there, you got the sense they were a family with a mission to make guests feel at home.

The trip was a more expensive one, with a overwater junior suite, a meal plan which included daily breakfast (buffet – so if you eat late you could easily skip lunch which may run about $50-$70 per couple) and dinners (great quality/local dishes – highly recommend their version of a ‘tropical’ tiramisu). Also, I would recommend - for couples – the romantic dinner. From special seating, flowers and very personal service, the dinner felt special. Also live entertainment nightly – I really enjoyed the musician called Silk.

The resort offered free snorkel gear, kayaks, a paddle board (only one – but I never had to wait for it in five days there) and to sample a more authentic experience, they also offered a couple canoes. They also have a pool table and board games.

Some tips: The gift shop is nice and if you do not speak French the shop offers free daily English DVD’s to rent (only English language channel is CNN). My wife and I had our own English language film movie nights. If you are looking to buy little souvenirs such as picture books, better to buy them at the Papatte airport then the gift shop. I paid 1,500 francs (nearly $20) for one book which I latter saw at the airport for 860 francs ($11).

Even with a little rain during the trip (winter is off season); I rank it with one of my best. Bora Bora is a beautiful place and the service my wife and I received at the Le Moana only made the place more special.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank J W
Dear Valuable guests,

We are very proud to read that the service you have received made our lovely resort so special for you. We thank you for your nice comments and would like to inform you that we do have two stand up paddles of course but being in the middle of the pacific it takes ages to replace broken item !!! this is the island life.

All our very best wishes from all the staff