“Great Location”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
San Diego, California
“Great Location”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was our second visit to Bora Bora and we were determined not to be "trapped" on a motu like the first time. This hotel was exactly what we were looking for. An easy walk in either direction to a little convenience store, places to eat, other hotels and Matira Beach - the only public beach on Bora Bora. The hotel was very nicely laid out with a friendly and hospitable staff. The hotel restaurant was excellent.

Our beach bungalow had a great view and was very comfortable - though the AC was fairly noisy. The main road separates the reception/hotel room section from the beach bungalows so you can also hear cars and trucks going by on occasion. Wandering dogs can also sometimes disturb the quiet. So, if you're looking for full blown luxury resort experience this is not the place. For us, having already done that, we were happy to pay less and have the freedom to walk around and actually be in French Polynesia.

For serious snorkelers the swim (from Matira Beach) out past Matira Point to the reef is a unique adventure. Also swam from Matira Beach across the bay to the mounts off the Hotel Bora Bora. Great spot but while swimming back I wished I had walked! No big deal...it was so shallow I could just stand up and rest when fighting the current became tiring. However, to really appreciate the snorkeling on Bora Bora take a tour for real snorkelers - not one of those "lagoonarium" boats that drops by a few spots for 15 minutes and then tries to impress you with shark and sting ray feeding.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank applegar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Walled Lake, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed at Maitai Bora Bora for 5 nights/6 days from March 4th-9th in Owb #108. We had a great time and really enjoyed our stay! The beach is lovely and I enjoyed snorkeling from our deck- I saw a turquoise parrot fish under our room and a handful of cracker crumbs would always bring in a swarm of fish! We enjoyed breakfast every morning at the nice beach restaurant Tamaa and enjoyed eating beneath a frangipani- plumeria tree right on the water. Our first morning 2 rays swam right by and we got Pics to prove it! Everyone there was SO NICE, we rented a car to drive around the Island one day and took the shuttle into town on 2 other afternoons. Sadly it rained on 3 out of our 6 days, so I had to cancel our Boat tour twice and we didn't get the chance to feed the rays and sharks and snorkel the coral garden! We took advantage of Happy hour at their Bar nealy everynight from 6:00- 7:00, 2 tropical cocktails for the price of one! They were so good! We shopped for pearls in the main town of Vaitape and found a Hole in the wall which served delicious crepes for lunch. One night we had Dinner at Bloody Marys which was very fun and a wonderful meal! We walked to Matira beach which was just beautiful and had a great swim! Also had Dinner at Matira beach Restaurant which was very good. Our last night- Saturday we went to the Intercontinental's Polynesian dance show and for the price of one drink at their upscale bar enjoyed some wonderful live entertainment. I was delighted to be picked to dance with the locals and had a great time and got some coloroful pics! Our stay passed too quickly and I will definitely book a longer stay next time~ can't wait to get back to Tahiti's fair Isles! Best place on earth!! (and I was born in Hawaii)

Room Tip: The beach cottages looked nice, but its hard to beat the Owbs overlooking the deep water- the views...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lani W
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Very nice hotel, with different room standards - from garden and ocean view rooms in a block, to beach or water villas. The beach restaurant has a good menu, and is reasonably priced. 5 mins walk from a good supermarket, other restaurants and a few shops.
Quite a small beach area, but it has lovely white sand and you can snorkel directly from the beach.
They provide free snorkelling equipment as well and kayaks, and have lots of information on various activities. They can arrange a return transfer to the ferry for 2500XPF per person.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank expressive-one
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I had an amazing vacation at Hotel Maitai.

I noticed the other hotels on Bora Bora were over clear water, but I really wanted to see some fish so I chose this place. We splurged on an overwater bungalow and were lucky to get one over the coral! The fish were beautiful! We even saw a group of stingrays go by a few times.

The available kayaks were amazing and there is a little grocery store close by where we were able to grab snacks and wine.

If I ever get the opportunity to go back, we will be here for the privacy and great water area.

Room Tip: Try and get one of the bungalows over the coral. I also like to bring my own snorkel, but there wer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mollierosem
Venice, Florida
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We were on a cruise ship with an overnight in Bora Bora on New Years day and we decided to spend the night in an over water bungalow (OWB).....what a great way to start 2014!!!

We were met at in the lobby with fresh leis and fruit punch drinks (nice start). The check in was quick and we were soon in our beautiful OWB #106 (I agree with previous posters that this is a great location). The coral reef was directly in front of our OWB, so we didn't need to swim any to start enjoying the marine life that was around us. We saw string rays, mantas, turtles, dolphins and numerous pretty fish.

Breakfast was included with our reservation and it was a nice breakfast with a good selection. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and very accommodating.

I wish we could have stayed several nights but we would definitely consider booking at this hotel again if we ever overnight again when cruising the South Pacific.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pauline H
edmonton, alberta
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I knew when I was to get married I wanted an over water bungalow. I searched and researched and when I found Hotel Maitai I found the best bang for my buck!. We were welcomed at the resort with a drink and a flower lei. The view from our ocean view room blew me away every time I looked out the balcony. It definitely is one of the most beautiful places that God has made. Paradise. True, there is a road that divides the resort in half but when you get there you understand there is only one road that circumvents the entire island!

Food was amazing! We did the half board (breakfast and supper - 3 course meal). However, the breakfast buffet was the same every day for 3 weeks!! And they did not serve the local produce: Coconuts, grapefruit, etc all grow on the island but they import most food from France or New Zealand. What a shame because we went on "jungle tour" and learned how many delicious foods grow on the island.

We kayaked, snorkeled, went scuba-diving with sharks and manta rays, jet ski, rode a mountain bike around the island, did a day trip to Maupiti island, and had a spa day at Thalasso (do it, do it!). Outstanding.

We had roof leak one night so they upgraded us to an overwater bungalow a few days early.

Wifi was available at the corner store (after you make a purchase) and we used it daily to communicate with friends and family back home.

Most people are only there for a few days but we really got to know the area. We found some WWII canons and pill boxes up on the hill just above the resort, in the jungle, a 20 min hike for the adventurous.

I can't wait to go back for our 10 year anniversay!

Room Tip: Ocean view was spectacular. Even the "Garden view" has a partial ocean view!. Over water...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Quicksilver39
vancouver
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We arrived after sunset, tired from a long day of travel and sight seeing. A bus transported us from the town of Vaitape to the hotel-$5 US fee. As we embarked we were immediatley greeted by a gracious front desk employee, draping a lei around our necks and a fruit punch to quench our thirst. Check in was efficient and our room was cleanand spacious. It had sufficient storage space for our clothes and luggage. There was a mini fridge, coffee maker and coffee/tea supplies in the room. A/C kept the rooms cool during the hot day time temperatures. In the morning, we were able to enjoy the lovely landscaped gardens of this hotel. The bar and dining room face the main road. They are open spaces, allowing the breezes in but low stone walls and plants afford some privacy. A breakfast buffet was included. It was standard with a selection of breads, fruits, scrambled eggs and bacon. My only complaint was the lack of local fruits. Apples and New Zealand Kiwis in a place where bananas, mangoes and papayas grow locally?? What a disappointment. The beach that the hotel is on was beautiful and was quite empty when we went there to sunbathe. No problem finding a free beach lounger. Snorkelling was quite good as well. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from a good grocery store and close to good restaurants and the town of Vaitape. WiFi was not included and expensive, but then, what isn't on Bora Bora? I did appreciate the fact that they let us stay in our room until we left at 4 pm without charging us for an extra day. It enabled us to enjoy our last day on the island on the beach at the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a lower priced accomodation that is above average in what it has to offer on Bora Bora.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family