“A great holiday.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Sydney, Australia
“A great holiday.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a 5 night stay on the 23rd of February. We were a little worried with the mixed reviews but found it to be a really nice place to stay. It is not a huge flash resort by any means but we loved it. The gardens are beautiful and well maintained. We were in an overwater bungalow (no 16).

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were on the full board plan which I recommend as it is quite expensive to eat there otherwise. The food was nice but found the breakfast to be a little ordinary. The management could do with looking at the variety on the menu. I would also suggest this for the entrees. The rest of the menu was nice. The food was cooked well. The desserts were great. Plenty to choose from.

We did a couple of snorkelling tours. The 1st was with Rohavai which was great. It was especially good with the stingray part of the tour. Our guide had us up close and personal with the stingrays. We came back to the island opposite the Maitai which was really nice. They took us to another snorkelling spot as he said we could get to the coral garden ourselves by kayaks. The other tour we did was with Lagoonarium. This was also good in other ways. The shark part of this was fantastic but the snorkelling with stingrays was better with the other tour group. This one took us to the coral garden behind the Sofitel which was much better. They were both good in their own ways. If you are able to do both, I would recommend it. Both days were fantastic.

Our bungalow was nice. It was spacious. The air conditioning worked well. It was clean and comfortable. There was fancier places to stay but this as good value for money and very pleasant. I would certainly stay there again. We enjoyed watching the fish through the coffee table of a night. They came around with the lights on.

There was a little supermarket about 5 minutes down the road which was great to buy supplies you might need.

All in all, not too fancy but very nice and quiet.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank marnology

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brno
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

After arrival at Bora Bora airport you have to know that you must catch the ferry to Vaitape otherwise you will stuck at the airport. In Vaitape will wait for you a transport to the hotel...if you arrange it and payed around 25 euros in advance. I felt little bit strange when I realized that for the price of accommodation (over 100 euros / night) you have to pay also the 10 minutes transfer. I assumed that it will be included in the price. The bus journey was quick.
Upon arrival to the hotel I was greeted by a welcome drink and saying that I have to wait till they will be able to give me key from my room. I got the key after 30 minutes :) The bathroom was clean, the room spacious, with comfortable bed and a fridge. The wifi was very slow and overpriced - 1 hour costs 1250XPF. Breakfast ok.Hotel staff is polite and helpful also in the restaurant.

Overall not sure if I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rbbrno
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We arrived here from an amazing beginning stay of our honeymoon at the Intercontinental in Moorea. Boy, what a disappointment. We were greeted promptly with paperwork and tropical drinks, but they tasted like they came out of a machine, with a malty taste and settlement on the bottom. The check-in area is infested with mosquitos and I got bit many times in a short period of waiting, something we did not experience in Moorea. They were fairly short staffed and couldn't handle all 10 of us that showed up at once, and didn't even offer to show us to our room, we were just given our keys and told to go to the left. The bungalows are across the street from the check-in so you must look both ways before crossing. We found our bungalow #17, Miri Miri, the last one on the far east side of the grounds. To our surprise there was AC, which we were told they didn't have. They must be fairly new units. The room was adequate. Not large by any means but had a big bed, couch, desk and all necessary amenities (the shower gel/hair products smelled terrible). The shower was a nice size but open to the sink area, so water often got onto the floor and was a slip hazard. There was no ventilation whatsoever in the bathroom compared to the other places we stayed, so that was a negative. I did see that when you left the room and took the key out of the holder, everything shut off, so you couldn't leave your AC/fan on when you were gone. It was not a big deal, as it kicked on as soon as you came back in, and I'm sure saves on energy bills for the hotel. We also had a small coffee table that opened so we could feed fish coming by. The fridge was empty and fairly warm, it took over a day to chill our Dom Perignon champagne we brought with us, and we had to lay it on its side, as the fridge was too small to stand it up. Our honeymoon gifts of a cheap X-Large tshirt and pareo with Le Maitai written all over it were cheap, and we'd rather not remember that name. We snorkeled just to the west of our bungalow and found a lot of coral, beautiful fish, leopard sting rays and even an octopus. It was better than Matira Beach, where we didn't find any good snorkeling. We had to get our own snorkel gear out of a shed, as no one was ever there to give it to us to use. The grounds were very nice and well manicured, always someone working on them, and the grounds surrounding the regular rooms were labeled with signs depicting the various plants/flowers which I enjoyed learning about. No pool, spa or exercise facility exist here, and we really missed our infinity pool!

Food, another story. We had a half board, meaning breakfast/dinner everyday. As someone earlier posted, the same people were working every shift at the restaurant and at the concierge (if you want to call it that), but regardless they were always rude, never welcoming/inviting, and they never explained how our meal plan worked. We were completely disgusted with the food and found almost all of it to be inedible. 'Vegetable soup' and 'lobster bisque' 2 days in a row both tasted of the same seafood quality and was of a brown color, duck was gross, lagoonfish ok, mahi overdone, vegetables tasted as if they were lit with kerosene, creme brulee was almost cold inside, I could go on and on. The only edible food was the pizza, which we had the last 2 nights, and the chocolate mousse which was tolerable but a bit cakey. When it poured rain 2 of the nights there was no offer to help us move our table inside, and local cats/dogs roamed the property begging for food as we ate (not very sanitary). My husband was sick on Valentine's Day (probably from the food earlier that day or the night before), and one of the male servers was nice enough to box my dinner up so we could take it back to our room. Breakfast consisted of fruit under plastic wrap that was infested with fruit flies (the only thing I dared to eat besides croissants), french bread, and a case that was barely cool with runny yogurt and iffy pastries, and American hot food was runny and disgusting. We were told we had to pay extra for coffee/tea, and half the time it was empty and the juice was again malty from a machine, and most of the time no silverware/napkins/glasses were on the table. I WOULD NOT recommend EVER eating here, as there are plenty of other options within walking distance or via a free shuttle if you call the restaurant. Fare Manuia down the road had excellent burgers.

Service, as I mentioned was poor, and no one seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They were just there, working overtime, getting by on what little they thought they could get by with. The other restaurant was closed most of the time, but they offered a special Valentine's Day dinner for an extra $50/person! We said no way! We had to ask multiple times for our free drink coupon for our honeymoon instead of being offered it after we gave them our voucher. The drinks were fairly tasty but not served nicely. The bartender made it seem like it was a chore to make us these drinks for free. We also had issues with our sunset cruise transportation, as we weren't told we had to find our own transportation to Vaitape. We were charged for that and went through a rigamaroll to get the transportation. Finally, the housekeeper came at a different time everyday with no warning, so if we were in the middle of something we had to rush out of there before being disturbed. We had used some dishes in the room and after the cleaning service our dishes either remain unwashed or were washed in some sort of fishy water, as they reeked and were unusable again.

The grounds were beautiful and the bungalows sufficient for the low prices they offer on this property. I would stay away from the main area (mosquito ridden) and from the food at any of their restaurants, but the room itself was just fine, and the view beautiful. No views of the mountains on Bora Bora, however. If this property could just train their staff better and gain additional staff, get all new kitchen staff and be just a bit more welcoming with edible food, it would be an ok property, as it has a nice location. But, because of our experience, it will forever leave us with a bad taste in our mouth of Bora Bora. It is not what we expected to experience in one of the most romantic/beautiful places in the world, and we really wished we had stayed at the Sofitel just down the road or the Intercontinental, both not too much more in price that it would make it worth it next time. I would not recommend anyone spend their honeymoon here.

Room Tip: I must say our overwater bungalow Miri Miri #17 was probably one of the best in terms of being most...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Hurdlegurl
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have to say I had not been back to the le Maitai if about 6 years , but want to see what it looked like now
I was so pleasantly surprised. Even the overwaters are a great value dollar wise if you want to have the experiance without all the bells and whistles and are on a lower budget, they still offer some nice amenites.
As I tell my clients I only recommend places to go, stay, and or eat that I personally would

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Apopka, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in January 2013 and really enjoyed the real Polynesian feel to the overwater bungalow -- #104. Everything was good except the weather. We had a lot of rain on our whole trip and would not return to either Tahiti or Bora Bora in January. I had been here in January many years ago and the weather was great that time.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in the last December 2012, at bungalow 11. We have planned this trip in November, so we could't find any other hotel with a front beach bungalow such as we are looking for. After check the website of the hotel which looks pretty nice and very professional, then we decided for this hotel. The problem began when we arrived. Most of the people does not say that the airport of bora bora is in another island, so you have to get a boat to really arrives at Bora Bora island. At the airport, all other hotels have one person to received you and explain this, which makes you and your family comfortable after a long trip. The Le Maitai does't, and the unique information was a brief note in a old table given orientation for the Le maitai guests get the Bora Bora ferry. If you does not speak English of French or if you don't realizes this, note on the table, you will be lost and can lose the ferry. In overall, the staff were really rude, the staff speak a really poor English, they became clearly irritate when they could't communicate. I saw a attendant clearly irritated explaining another guest how to use the wireless connection (that is horrible so far). I was ashamed for her, which was a lady. The unique exception was the attendant called Sandra, that was lovely and the unique able to speaks a reasonable English. Room: We stayed at beach bungalow 11. It was at front of a small peer, so was nice do see the sunset. However, poor quality of the room in general, we found cockroaches in the towels in the sink (See the pics). The room smelled to mod. I don't know about the quality of the others, but for us the unique good was the front view, that was gorgeous. The refrigerator was empty and everything it seen without any care for a long time. After two days, we realized that probably the cause of this rude behavior from staff is the excess of work. For example, on December 31, we saw the same people working in the breakfast, lunch and new-year dinner until late, after midnight. Afterwards, on January 1 2013, the same staff were serving the breakfast. For us this workers are explored, which surely explain the rudeness. I was thinking if a young couple planned a honey moon in this hotel, probably they will be so sad having your honey moon destroyed for a bad hotel. I sure that if are planning go to Bora Bora you have money for pay a better hotel. If you are looking for a front beach or overwater bungalow and the unique option available is this hotel, is better gave up of this and get a conventional room in a better hotel. Restaurant: The food was good, but at the breakfast for example, was completely covered by fruit fly. It was really sad to see this with so good food. It clear for us that this hotel is being poorly administrated, and the good part which safe the place is the island of bora bora per se, which is the most gorgeous place that we had been so for, and that salved our trip from the problems with this hotel.

Room Tip: I do not have tips about this hotel. I guess the best one is: go away.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Montenegromf
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in December of 2012. We had a bungalow over water and couldn't have been happier. We felt we got great value even when visiting during the low season which meant the main restaurant and lobby bar was closed. Their second restaurant by the beach became both. Or only wish was that there would have been a more lounge style bar available but the neighboring hotels offered such if the need arose, which frankly it never did. We had a great time snorkeling, and this place was great as the water depth was much greater than most. The street wasn't busy and they had a convenient rental place for bikes and scooters which was fun. Food, the tuna specifically, was great. Service was European in flavor and we had no issues and made some good friends while there. We visited a few other hotels and the only other place that we would consider in hindsight was intercontinental's spa resort on the coral reef. We did go there for a spa day, awesome, but felt the much higher cost and separation from main island didn't add up enough to make us feel we made the wrong decision. If sitting in a beach chair all day is your goal, withmmain island as backdrop (fabulous view) then this would be heaven. If exploring and doing a few more things is your goal, I would recommend Maitai highly. If meeting new people and not spend a fortune, the bar and layout of Sofitel next door was nice. Too Club Med for us however as we preferred the more local flavor. Lack of private boat pickup at airport and taking ferry and taxi just makes you take part in island life and routines. Bonus in our opinion.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple