“Great value and wonderful service.”

Maitai Polynesia Bora Bora
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013 and really enjoyed the real Polynesian feel to the overwater bungalow -- #104. Everything was good except the weather. We had a lot of rain on our whole trip and would not return to either Tahiti or Bora Bora in January. I had been here in January many years ago and the weather was great that time.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in the last December 2012, at bungalow 11. We have planned this trip in November, so we could't find any other hotel with a front beach bungalow such as we are looking for. After check the website of the hotel which looks pretty nice and very professional, then we decided for this hotel. The problem began when we arrived. Most of the people does not say that the airport of bora bora is in another island, so you have to get a boat to really arrives at Bora Bora island. At the airport, all other hotels have one person to received you and explain this, which makes you and your family comfortable after a long trip. The Le Maitai does't, and the unique information was a brief note in a old table given orientation for the Le maitai guests get the Bora Bora ferry. If you does not speak English of French or if you don't realizes this, note on the table, you will be lost and can lose the ferry. In overall, the staff were really rude, the staff speak a really poor English, they became clearly irritate when they could't communicate. I saw a attendant clearly irritated explaining another guest how to use the wireless connection (that is horrible so far). I was ashamed for her, which was a lady. The unique exception was the attendant called Sandra, that was lovely and the unique able to speaks a reasonable English. Room: We stayed at beach bungalow 11. It was at front of a small peer, so was nice do see the sunset. However, poor quality of the room in general, we found cockroaches in the towels in the sink (See the pics). The room smelled to mod. I don't know about the quality of the others, but for us the unique good was the front view, that was gorgeous. The refrigerator was empty and everything it seen without any care for a long time. After two days, we realized that probably the cause of this rude behavior from staff is the excess of work. For example, on December 31, we saw the same people working in the breakfast, lunch and new-year dinner until late, after midnight. Afterwards, on January 1 2013, the same staff were serving the breakfast. For us this workers are explored, which surely explain the rudeness. I was thinking if a young couple planned a honey moon in this hotel, probably they will be so sad having your honey moon destroyed for a bad hotel. I sure that if are planning go to Bora Bora you have money for pay a better hotel. If you are looking for a front beach or overwater bungalow and the unique option available is this hotel, is better gave up of this and get a conventional room in a better hotel. Restaurant: The food was good, but at the breakfast for example, was completely covered by fruit fly. It was really sad to see this with so good food. It clear for us that this hotel is being poorly administrated, and the good part which safe the place is the island of bora bora per se, which is the most gorgeous place that we had been so for, and that salved our trip from the problems with this hotel.

Room Tip: I do not have tips about this hotel. I guess the best one is: go away.
17  Thank monte n
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in December of 2012. We had a bungalow over water and couldn't have been happier. We felt we got great value even when visiting during the low season which meant the main restaurant and lobby bar was closed. Their second restaurant by the beach became both. Or only wish was that there would have been a more lounge style bar available but the neighboring hotels offered such if the need arose, which frankly it never did. We had a great time snorkeling, and this place was great as the water depth was much greater than most. The street wasn't busy and they had a convenient rental place for bikes and scooters which was fun. Food, the tuna specifically, was great. Service was European in flavor and we had no issues and made some good friends while there. We visited a few other hotels and the only other place that we would consider in hindsight was intercontinental's spa resort on the coral reef. We did go there for a spa day, awesome, but felt the much higher cost and separation from main island didn't add up enough to make us feel we made the wrong decision. If sitting in a beach chair all day is your goal, withmmain island as backdrop (fabulous view) then this would be heaven. If exploring and doing a few more things is your goal, I would recommend Maitai highly. If meeting new people and not spend a fortune, the bar and layout of Sofitel next door was nice. Too Club Med for us however as we preferred the more local flavor. Lack of private boat pickup at airport and taking ferry and taxi just makes you take part in island life and routines. Bonus in our opinion.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank intentionallylost
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Beautiful hotel but a little walk to the beach. A few rooms have a good view of the beach but not many. Small walk to beautiful beach. The staff is awesome and inside the hotel is beautiful. Bistro employees are fantastic. Pool is very nice. Room was beautiful and bed was comfortable.

3  Thank Frank P
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The hotel manager and staff were very accomodating to our party and what we needed and wanted. The rooms were clean and comfortable. (Just did not like the pillows.) Its location was also good for access to anyplace on the island. It was nice to have access to bicycle and motorbike rental right on the property. The value, considering Bora Bora prices in general, was excellent. We especially enjoyed the little beach restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jrlcjl
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Staying at the MaiTai Hotel in Bora Bora almost ruined my dream vacation in Nov. 2012. The staff was rude and unresponsive. The room was small, with uncomfortable beds. The safe was broken and there was no deadbolt lock or safety chain on the room door. The tv was a very small old tv. The ocean front room was up a very steep hill that made wanting to go down the hill more than once or twice a day very challenging. There was no iron. The bathroom sink was cracked. The hotel is located on a busy road - with mean watchdogs living at the homes along the road - which made walking a dangerous feeling proposition. To get to the sea (there is no pool) you must cross the busy road. There was broken and mismatched snorkel equipment and the coral was mostly dead and few fish could be found. When I discussed my concerns with the General Manager, she was haughty and unwilling to take responsbility for all the problems with the hotel. When I told her we were leaving, she said we would get no refund, but she might "buy us lunch". I am so glad we left and stayed at another hotel nearby where everything was excellent. Leaving the MaiTai made my stay in Bora Bora a dream come true.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
16  Thank Deeann N
Catherine S, General Manager at Maitai Polynesia Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Dear Madam,

When you went to see our team and me, you ask for having your stay refund because you don't found enough fish in the sea ,and you don't mentioned anything else....
But, anyway I regret that you don't found at Maitai what you wish.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

My husband and I just got back from a lovely vacation in Bora Bora. We stayed at the Hotel Maitai in a Beach Bungalow. We were there for 10 days. I will talk about the negatives first. The hotel is one of the original ones built on the island. The beach bungalow had a large king bed, air conditioning and a refrigerator and a deck that looked out onto the water. A lovely view. However the drawers were broken, the door to the bathroom did not work properly, the refrigerator was not stocked with their "mini bar" - it was empty, the curtains had holes in them and were falling off of the rods. We were also robbed on several occasions. My husbands' ear phones were taken, a personal female item was taken and on the day before we left my Bose Ipod dock was stolen. We did report the first things that were stolen only to receive a bottle of white wine. After the second item - more expensive - the manager kindly reimbursed us for it. However, I really felt that the housekeeping staff was working with others to come into the room when we were not there. We had to lock up all our electronics. I would have checked out immediately after finding the speakers gone if it was not the day I was actually leaving. The restaurant is just OK - not as nice as all the other hotels we went to.

On a positive note, I actually enjoyed the bungalow, more than the over water huts. We had a larger deck and were able to just step off onto the sand, so we had both the views of the beach and the water. The location of the Maitai is great in that it within walking distance of 2 other hotels and 2 local restaurants - all with great food and ambiance.

Room Tip: I know everyone desires the OW Bungalows, but the Beach Bungalow was more fun.
11  Thank bezeiv