“Best choice for views, scenery, and size”

Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We were very glad we chose the Pearl after researching all the major hotels in BB. Our favorite things about the Pearl are the views of Mt. Otemanu from everywhere, the beautifully landscaped grounds, and the elegant polynisian-style bungalows. The bungalows are beautifully appointed, luxurious, and not too numerous! We took a circle tour around the lagoon and had a chance to see the other hotels. Many looked like a "bungalow city" upon approach! The Pearl felt more intimate, while at the same time providing a level of service and ammenities that you would expect from a 5-star hotel. Not only is there a glass-topped coffee table in the bungalow, with removable top for feeding the fish below (which most of the hotels also have), but there is also glass all around the counters in the bath/dressing room so that you constantly have a view of the sea life below.

We loved our view from bungalow 45. 45 and 46 are at the end of the dock so they are very private. I believe 34 and 35 are also at the end of their dock.

The Spa is a must...so beautiful, set among the trees gardens, reflecting pools and lilly pads. Although my husband had to be dragged for his first massage , he too, ended up enjoying the experience.

The pool at the Pearl has drop-dead gorgeous views which can be enjoyed in or out of the water. However, preferred spot was in one of the beach hammocks with a perfectly framed view of Mt O.

The breakfast buffet was much more than we expected - and much nicer than the buffet we had on our stop-over in Tahiti at the new Manava Hotel. The morning choices catered to American, European and Japanese tastes, with many many choices typical of all three cuisines. The crepes were out of this world! Monday night is the Polynesian show which takes place after dinner - very entertaining. We also enjoyed live music in the bar one night by a wonderful duo.

We did not need to use bug spray in April. There were absolutely no problems with bugs of any kind in our bungalow. One thing we really appreciated was that our deck had plenty of shade from the palm roof overhang so that we could avoid getting burned. Most of the bungalows face east, so you actually get the sunrise and not the sunset view from the "deluxe OWB". The "beach OWB" face the beach and get the sunset view from their decks. We loved laying out on our deck under the stars - almost could have slept there. Very comfortable deck chairs. It was nice to be able to retreat into the air conditioning in the mid-afternoon for a bit - and the bungalows cool down nicely with the air on. For sleeping, however, there is absolutely nothing like the feel of the trade winds blowing gently over you as you sleep.

All in all, we couldn't be happier with our choice of the Pearl.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank NYGail10

Reviewed April 18, 2010

We stayed in an overwater bungalow where the lagoon is just stunning, #18 and it is almost as far away from the resort as you can get - which was perfect! The room itself wasn't all that great, there were a few maintenance issues (fridge leaking, balcony door, toilet door) but none of this retracted from our experience of the resort or Bora Bora. The view from the bed and balcony is of the lagoon and main island. The location was stunning - from the moment you fly to Bora, everything is stunning - where in the world is there an airport with that type of view!!? I had very high expectations of this place, and it topped all of them - the water is absolutely amazing, there could be 40 different shades of blue! I don't think any other resort was in a better spot (they are all off the main island). We were a little disappointed that there was very limited access to most of the motu our resort was on, only a very small beach front area). Now, we're not real seafood eaters, so didn't particularly enjoy the menu here. You absolutely MUST do a boat tour around the island, whether for snorkelling or just to see it. There are so many stunning areas you cannot see from your resort or even the main island. We toured with Damien at Bora Bora Photo Lagoon (half day tour), the tour was perfect and Damien was an excellent guide - we recommended him to others who also went on and loved the tour. We even went snorkelling and I couldn't believe the amount of fish - they were everywhere, all types and sizes! Damien gave us a disc at the end of the day with over 500 photos, including some snorkelling - all of which are beautiful! We got tattoos on Bora Bora too, I was particularly brave - being that I'm scared of needles - and love the tattoo, what a great way to remember our time in Tahiti! I'm sure, if you've researched this far, that you realise Tahiti is not a cheap place for a holiday - but don't make a mistake of skimping when you get there.....check out the island/s and get to really know Tahiti, it's so much more beautiful when you leave the hotel! Oh, and thank you French, for the delicious baguettes!

2  Thank takemebacktotahiti
Reviewed April 18, 2010

The over water bungalows are a must stay for your trip to Bora Bora! My wife and I stayed in bungalow #44 which had perfect views of Mount Otemanu and Mount Pahia. The water is spectacular! The multi-blue colored lagoon is actually clearer than a chemically treated swimming pool! Pearl Beach Resort offers great food, entertainment and snorkeling! It also has an awesome staff which serves you around the clock. The hosts treat you like family and really make you feel right at home in paradise!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2010

From the beginning....

We booked the Pearl Resort through Pleasant Holidays. They were very good, detailed and precise. We drove to LAX leaving our car at the Westin Hotel. It was about $70.00 for 8 days. They shuttled us to the Air France Terminal.

Because we flew Business Class (Points) we got to relax, drink and have a few snacks in their VIP Lounge. During the flight, they were simply incredible with very good food, drinks and great service. I would use them again.

Arriving in Tahiti, we were greeted with Tahiti Trio playing music and Flower Lai's (Forgive the spelling). We looked for our Greeter which was nowhere to be found. Another lady from a different company (Very Nice) told us, she was coming back. We waited at least 45 or so minutes. She finally came (maybe a bit embarrassed) and shuffled us to the Air Tahiti Counter for our flight to Bora Bora. We could have done all of it on our own.

In the interim of waiting, it was very hot and humid. I went to buy bottled water and got my first taste of how expensive things are in French Polynesia!! The Exchange Rate varies and is about $88 Pacific Franc (XPF) = $1.00 USD. Not only is the USD devaluated by comparison, and though it was an INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE, it is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE there.

The Flight from Tahiti to Bora Bora was about 50 or so minutes I think? We landed on a Motu (Island) walked into the small quaint airport and out the back door to awaiting transport boats to take us to the Pearl Beach Resort.

The Boat Ride was about 20 minutes or so and absolutely beautiful. We pulled up to the Pearl Dock and were greeted with Lai's again. Our Premium over the Water Bungalow was ready allowing us to check in at 9am! That was great!

Once in our Bungalow, we were told we had the best Bungalow (#35). We had an incredible view of Bora Bora Island, the Sunrise and Sunset. Later, we went to a few other Motu's. I believe the Pearl hands down has the best views. They also gave us a bottle of French Wine!

The Bungalows were spaciously spaced between one another giving you privacy. We had a nice big bathtub & makeup counter. The bed was very nice and we slept well. For a touch or reality, we turned on the TV to find only one channel in English. It was CNN International. They had a stereo in the room, but we didn’t use it. There is also a Bar Refrigerator too. We did bring our IPOD and rocked out. There was only one outlet we had access to in the bathroom. The glass table in the floor opens to the water underneath the Bungalow. Bring bread with you, and you can feed the fish.

The Deck outside of our room was great! We did have a bit more privacy to do the things we wanted. There's a stair you can walk down to the water. It is about 3 feet deep and goes out a long ways before it drops off. The water is an amazing light blue, clear as a bell and 84 Degrees at any depth!! When you come up, there is an outdoor shower to rinse off.

After settling in, we walked the grounds. Our first stop was the Activity Desk where we booked dinner. We then went to the Spa! Wow! Though we elected not to do it, it was very very nice.

We went to the Bar/Pool, where we ordered a drink. It appears we may have been there off-season (End of March 2010). They didn't have a true Bartender waiting for us and it did take a little longer to get a drink. When we ordered drinks, we had to help them with the Margarita. I had a beer after this. They felt bad and didn't charge us. Remember, a bad day on vacation is better than a good day at work!! We were okay with it.

They have Kayaks, hammocks, a pool table to use for free. You can also use the Internet for $500 Francs.

House Keeping was great. Each day, they came and cleaned up and turned down the sheets.

Prior to the trip, we got PADI Certified to dive Bora Bora! I am so glad we did! I had corresponded directly with Gilles and Wendy from Blue Nui Dive Center. They were very helpful in preparing us for our dives and some of the things to do during our stay. Gilles has been an Instructor for 25 years and has well over 15,000 dives under his belt. Though we feel we were so well trained and prepared in the cold waters off the coast of Southern California, Gilles was great with us being new to diving.

I looked at completing the Open Water part of the certification there. Unless you have tons of money, I suggest you do it where you live. It is extremely expensive anywhere in Bora Bora. We dove 4 tanks each and paid about $350.00 USD. We also bought the video. Ouch! It cost us $140.00 USD. I think we could have negotiated with him to make it a bit more reasonable. Though I believe he told us his BCD's were Weight Integrated, we had to use a weight belt. We were training using Weight Integrated BCD's. Write it off to experience and learning. We swam with lots of fish, Sea Turtles, saw Manta Rays and swam with 9-10' Lemon and Black Tip Sharks! Remember this was our true first Dive! It was amazing!! Scary at first, they didn't bother us at all. We were told they prefer eating the French. I'm half French. I still have my body parts.

We made it to Bora Bora most everyday and for dinner. You need to go to the Activity Desk to make your reservations for most everything you do. They have boat shuttles and taxi shuttles throughout the day and night to and from the Pearl and into town. In one sense you are on a schedule. For us, it wasn't a big deal. The boat shuttle to Bora Bora was about 2 minutes. To get into town was about 15 minutes or so.

Though there are a few shops to shop from in Bora Bora, again it is very expensive to buy anything. We rented a "Bug way" (Looks like a Dune Buggy) to travel the island and it was $150.00 USD for four hours! We had issues with the first two of them, and they gave us more time. They also wanted us to pay for gas, and we told them the Hotel never told us we would have to pay for gas. If you are doing it through the Hotel, be sure to confirm what you are paying for.

Regarding Shopping, you have to watch out if you are paying USD. They will tell you the USD is worth $0.75 to their Franc Exchange Rate. So they can't mess around with it, always use your Credit Card or get Francs before you go there. We had a Store Owner give us $0.90 USD to their Franc if we paid them cash. We weren't getting too much of a deal. When you can buy your water and snacks from the Grocery Store and take it back to your room. It may seem a bit of a hassle, but it can get expensive.

Dining at the Pearl. The Food and the Presentation was great. The Service was a bit lacking and not fluid. Again, it may be due to the time of year and low staffing? We did watch their Polynesian Show. It was very nice!

Dining on Bora Bora. We went to the Famous "Bloody Mary's Restaurant." It's known for all of the famous people who have gone there. The food and service was good, but the air ventilation is horrible. My Fiancé began to pass out and had to go outside to recover. In fact, there was another group there from the Pearl and one of the gals and another man from the group had the same issue. We went a second time and it was the same issue with ventilation.

One evening we went to Fara Manuia Restaurant. We had a bottle of wine, these amazing mussels as an appetizer. She had fish and I had the New Zealand Rack of Lamb. It was superb! The Server Isabelle was incredible. However, the Owner of the Restaurant wasn't having a good night. Isabelle, a Tahitian Native must have done something Regis, a Frenchman and Owner didn't like. He yelled at her in front of all of us dining there. It sunk the entire experience. Regis never came to the table to greet any of us and sat with his friends most of the time bossing her from his chair. Isabelle came to us and I told her she was an incredible person and Server to us. I also told her what Regis did was not what a Restaurant Owner should have done to her and to his guests.

After dinner, I went to Regis. I told him his Server was excellent, his Restaurant was excellent, his Chef was amazing and his food was superb! I also told him, he wasn’t representative of a Restaurant Owner and he had ruined our experience in his fine restaurant. I shook his hand and told him I would consider coming back. I asked if he understood me. He did, shook my head and smiled.

Later that week, I did go back there. Guess what? He wasn't sitting around, he was greeting the guests. I went up to him and shook his hand and told him I am back. He ordered for me, brought us a bottle of wine which he recommended. He asked for our phone # as he loves to visit Southern California with his family. By the way, I indirectly work in the restaurant business and teach Table Etiquette throughout the United States.

The People of Bora Bora are extremely friendly, smiling and willing to help you. When I travel, I look to become interested in them and their way of life. I stopped and talked with a man named John selling Yellow Fin Tuna he caught that morning. I asked if one morning I could go fishing with him. With a smile on his face, he said, “Yes.” I asked him what he would charge me. He said, “Gratis.” Unfortunately, I got a 12 hour stomach bug and could not go. When I saw him again, I explained what had happened. He offered for me to go again. Though I wanted to go, I was leaving the next day for Southern California. He gave me his # and asked I call him when I am here again. I took his # and gave him mine.

Things to consider before coming to Bora Bora:

1. Though we did it, tipping is not customary or expected.
2. Exchange your money for their money. For little things, it will be easier.
3. Bring Sunscreen and Ben’s Bug Repellant
4. Buy water and shacks from the local grocery store
5. Use your credit card for your purchases. This will keep the exchange rate what it is suppose to be.
6. I would negotiate on items you purchase.
7. Clothing. Bring very little. You will be in sandals, T-Shirts and swimming attire most of the time. Depending on how long you are staying, I would bring Sun Dresses, Aloha Shirts, Dress Shorts and Boat Shoes for dinner.
8. For the most part, they speak English fairly well. It can get confusing as to whether to use Tahitian or French? I suggest going to a website so you have the basics in using their language and greeting.
9. Realize you are in another country knowing that things are not going to be what they are at home. Adapt to their ways and it will become a wonderful experience.
10. A Restaurant Owner told us the Lobster comes from the U.S. If you like Fish, there is plenty of fresh top grade fish to eat. They do bring in meat from New Zealand.
11. Bring an underwater camera
12. Review the Tahiti and Bora Bora Visitors Bureau
13. The Bora Bora Pearl Beach has other “Pearl” Locations within the French Polynesia to choose from.

Happy Travels

12  Thank FOB_Diver
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed at all Pearl Resorts (Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora and LeTahaa). While LeTahaa clearly was the Number 1 resort for us - Bora Bora blew us away with the beauty and warm, crystal clear water. We stayed in an overwater bungalow (long long walk). Beautiful, comfortable bungalow. Not too much privacy on the decks. Great fish watching through the glass coffee table and steps from the bungalow. Another couple leaving on the day we arrived gave us more information than the activities desk. Activities desk not too helpful regarding restaurants (even their own) and things to do. Circle Island Tour in a taxi - forget it. Do the 4x4. Snorkeling with Cristophe Poch of Reef Discovery - Do Not Miss. Resort Pool Restaurant full of flies - we ate lunch on our deck. Resort Restaruant for dinner lacking - go to Bora Bora. Best restaurant, Le Matira Beach. While I felt the boat ride back and forth to be inconvenient - I learned to love it by the end of the trip. Original dock on Bora Bora destroyed from the cyclone so when being dropped off and waiting for the boat after dinner - kind of dark and muddy with lots of crab holes. But everyone going back to The Pearl is in the same boat (literally) so you have a lot of stories to tell. However, even with the negatives - I would highly recommend this place for the 1) Beauty 2) Great Rooms 3) remoteness from "bungalow row" ie Four Seasons, St Regis, Intercontinental, Le Meridien (all on the same motu side by side).

2  Thank ustraveler2
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Wonderful doesn't begin to describe our stay at this resort. It was simply wonderful. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Everyone went out of their way to make our stay special. The overwater bungalow was all we had hoped it would be. The weather was perfect and the water like something out of a painting. The resort was clean and we did not find the prices exorbitant. We had pre-purchased breakfasts and two dinners. The food was tasty and well prepared and presented with flair. The pool was beautiful, clean and perfect. It was the "low season" so the place was not crowded. The Treivora Restaurant was not open due to it being the low season, but the Ambrosia did a fine job of filling in. It is right next to the pool. I had a massage at the Manae Spa which was nothing short of fantastic. Every effort was made to please us. Our transfer back to the airport was not until 3:30 and checkout was at 11:00, but the staff made arrangements for us to have a bungalow on the beach to store our luggage and shower and clean up for the boat ride to the airport. We SO much appreciated everyone on staff. I do not think you will be disappointed with this place.

3  Thank Linda D
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Our 40 wedding anniversary - best island and lodging of our adventure. Hope to visit other Pearl Beach Resorts in the future. Also visited Moorea Pearl Resort and the Manava Suite Resort on Tahiti..

1  Thank ElkoRetirees