“Amazing finish to our honeymoon”

Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed in September 2013 for 5 nights, Bora Bora was the final stop on our honeymoon. We booked an Overwater Bungalow, as advised by our travel agent, we really did not regret taking her advice!!

Arrival: We arrived in the morning, and we were given some forms to fill out, and after about 15 minutes, we were escorted to our bungalow. The guy who brought us there, gave us some information about the island on the walk which was really informative, and then gave us a tour of the bungalow which was awesome of him. Staff the whole time during arrival were friendly.

Bungalow: The bungalow was amazing. A very nice spacious room, with the ocean right outside your room, and a small glass hut which allows you to watch the fish swim under your bungalow. Our room was cleaned daily, and they refreshed our room every evening too.

Food: The choice of food was A La Carte, except one night which was buffet (the A La Carte was much better than their buffet). My husband and I were very happy with the choices, and the desserts were delicious! The breakfast each morning was also very nice, and the servers couldn't do enough for us. We did end up buying lunch every day, and it was expensive, but if it's the only thing you are really buying, then it's fine. They also serve Nespresso, so I was delighted!

General activity: Kayaking was very nice, and the water was very nice for snorkeling, so we did plenty of that. The grounds are really nice, and we were able to play pitch & putt which was cool. The spa was gorgeously located, but we didn't end up using it.

We fell in love with this place. If we ever return, we will return here for sure. We never moved off the island, but we never felt we needed to, since there was enough to do to keep us entertained. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,640)

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was a return visit and we were happy to be back. We felt very welcomed--some of the staff remembered us from our previous visit.

The overwater bungalow was comfortable and the view was spectacular. We were close to the coral nursery so we spent a lot of time snorkeling in the shallow water around the bungalow. For anyone who is water challenged, this is certainly a good place to be.

There are plenty of other free activities, minigolf, tennis, kayaks, standup paddleboards, etc., as well as plenty of activities to pay for--shark and ray tours, jet skis, etc.

A boat shuttle goes to the main island often so it was easy to eat at restaurants, especially since the restaurants arrange free cab rides to and from the boat dock. I recommend doing that at least once. We were mostly too lazy to spend that much time to eat, but it was nice to have a change.

The spa is tucked away in a secluded building at the back of the property. Unfortunately, I was unable to use it because it was closed for a couple days when we weren't off doing other things.

For a quiet and relaxing vacation, this is a n excellent choice!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Windy327
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This review has been a long time coming. I had the very unique opportunity to go here, on my own, as my first international trip. I went in 2010 but I still have dreams of going back to this place. The location is amazing. There's a private and excellent beach on the property. Since it's a smaller resort you don't have to fight for chairs. If you have a beach villa there's usually hammocks and trees for shade available. I spent the first two nights in a villa with a plunge pool and decided to upgrade to the beach villa. I kick myself every time about not going with the overwater bungalow. If you're going to spend the money to get here you might as well splurge for the overwater bungalow. But all of the options are just as nice. The spa is outstanding. I signed up for a "four hands" massage and it was out of this world! The food was delicious and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I even called up to the front desk one night when confronted with a very large lizard hanging out in my room. They promptly sent a maintenance man to come see and he was very effective at removing it. Even thought I was by my self, surrounded by dozens of honeymooners, I felt so welcome and I can't say how wonderful the staff was. The snorkel guide for the hotel was great. I don't think I'll find snorkeling as wonderful anywhere else and with such a great guide. If you're thinking about going to Bora Bora, Pearl Beach Resort is a wonderful place and I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather go.

Room Tip: Definitely splurge for the overwater bungalow, or at least the beach villa.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Bora Bora is paradise, absolutely. So can you go wrong? Um yea..maybe. If you do not book an overwater bungalow at least some of your days while visiting, you are most definitely missing out!

We booked this resort for our 8 day 7 night honeymoon after I did extensive research between all the property's and this was the one I chose.

What attracted me?

It was the placement of the resort from Mount Otemanu and Mount Pahia. We paid extra for the overwater bungalow that had the Mt Otemanu views. Worth every penny.

Also, it was the shallow water around the on the water bungalows that drew me in. No treading water, you could walk around and float around if so desired, which we did both. Everyday all day. The coral reef nursery they had promised the best snorkeling and fish feeding on the island. My travel agent confirmed this. We were was not disappointed!!

The other reason I loved this resort was because it was traditional Polynesian. Not trying to be modern. Some of the pricey 5 star resorts were way too modern. If I am going to the French Polynesian I want it to look like I am there!

Plus the price was fair for the accommodations. We could've stayed at Four Seasons, St. Regis but for the price only stay around 5 days and missed the fish, the shallow waters and had modern straight lines....no thank you.

I also noticed more locals work at Pearl Beach than the other resorts who have more French. I like to think we are contributing to the locals by the tips etc.

Lastly this hotel had the most boat rides in and back from town more than any other resort. The boat transfers were FREE!!!!!!

Upon the greeting we had the most fragrant lei given to us. We had a boat ride to the resort and it had the wow factor. 13 shades of blue from the sky to the water and the resort had all the water depths imaginable, better in person even.

We were greeted by a wonderful man who gave us the scoop on the land and then our rooms. We stayed in bungalow 26, the first of the back over water bungalows that faced Mount Otemanu and Mount Pahia. It was private since there was no one to the left of us.

The rooms were great again traditional Polynesian and so much wood carving. Just loved it.

We made plans to eat the free breakfast daily, eat the lunch items we flew over and eat dinner out or at the restaurants on site.

The resort provides two waters daily at turn down service with lovely stories/fables each night about the native land.

The lunch food was good of course a little pricey but it was the resort, so that's a given!
We ate the Friday Polynesian Buffet which was Asian inspired. It had tons of rare tuna so I was happy but the meat items were not that great. The dance show was fun and I even got pulled out there to dance. It was around $245 American dollars with the wine. We don't eat enough at buffets to make them worth it too!

The grounds were manicured and beautiful. Near the inside of the Motu were ponds with so many flowers you could barely see the water!! They were a killer color of purple.

The staff was friendly, especially the activities lady who always remember our names.

They booked the restaurants for you and made life easy. Free black pearl and wine for us honeymooning!

What else can I say? It was amazing and we did so many tours with different companies and swam with sharks, stingrays and even octopus's!

Room Tip: We stayed in Bungalow 26 and everything that faces Mount Otemanu and Mount Pahia are amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EllBoogie
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I chose Bora Bora for our 10 day honeymoon in April.We were not disappointed in our choice.
Staff were friendly as soon as we landed and it got better the longer we stayed.
Our room was a garden bungalow,very private and surrounded by beautiful gardens.
The beach was paradise and the staff rake and clean the sand every day.
The ice huts is good thinking!!
The girls at the activity desk were very helpful and nothing was too much effort.
Restaurant staff were very friendly and courteous
We had 8 days of perfect weather,perfect dining,on the mainland as well,perfect everything.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mandy101567
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was our first trip to the south pacific (we've been to Hawaii a couple of times and all over the Caribbean), so we don't have a lot to compare the Pearl to, but we were more than satisfied. The scenery was gorgeous, the water perfect, and the room was pleasant. March is the off-season, and we were told all the over-water bungalos were occupied, but I doubt the garden rooms all were. Perhaps this is why the resort felt so deserted to us. The beach never had more than six people on it in the time were were there, while the pool was all ours when we used it. Yes, the food at the resort is expensive by any measure I have, but we took snacks and managed to get by without spending too much. For our stay, we only had one night having arrived via cruise ship that had an overnight planned, so we basically had about 28 hours at the resort. It was easy to get to the resort from the ship - a taxi ride to their main-island dock and a short ride over to the motu (only had to pay for the taxi ride - 2500 francs). Just be careful that the cruise ship doesn't change their schedule during the cruise, as happened to us. We were still able to get an over-water bungalo, just not the end-of-pontoon one we had reserved. The pearl was a good choice for us that met our desire for a beautiful, natural environment with a price a little more reasonable than some of the more expensive places in Bora Bora.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelscottc
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 days at the end of a month long honeymoon.

We arrived to the tiny airport and were greeted by a hotel rep who showed us to our boat transfer.

The lagoon is truly breathtaking.

After a short ride we arrived at the resort and sat through a brief intro and some paperwork and then we were brought to our over water bungalow. We stayed in number 9.

Our bags were already in our room when we arrived.

The room is typical Polynesian. It was a tad dated but perfect for what we needed and paid. It had everything to make you comfortable.

An ice machine was just a few steps outside the room. We brought our own liquor as drinks are pricey.

We ordered room service for dinner our first night which was tasty and good value for the money...and surprisingly less expensive then we expected.

On New Year's Eve there was a mandatory dinner that was very expensive and mandatory. The sit down portion was yummy but the rest was just a boring buffet with an add in of lobster tail to justify charging so much per person (I think it turned out being almost $700 cdn)

The breakfasts were fantastic and kept us full all day so we never had lunch.

Try to get at least breakfast included in your price as it is good value. You can do a la carte for dinner if you are worried about the price.

One night we went to la villa mahana on the main island which was amazing!! Make a reso if interested.

The Lagoon was beautiful. Not too deep so you can wade in the water. It was windy a couple days which made for some waves.

The coral with fish was a cool concept but sad when you think about how it was put there by man and perhaps the natural coral died because of the resorts being there.

We didn't do any excursions because we had done so much for much less money in the rest of the South Pacific.

Much of our time was spent lounging on our deck and then swimming in the lagoon which was perfect!

The pool looked like it wasn't kept well but who needs a pool when you have a lagoon!

The spa was beautiful.

The transfer boat and staff were reliable.

The $80 boat transfer to and from the airport was a surprise seeing that there wasn't any other option so you would think that would be included.

The main land is def worth a trip so you can experience some culture and interact with real people and. It just resort land. We did this when we went to the main island for dinner.

Our check out was much earlier than our flight but we just hung out on the beach and took a shower as there is one by the pool. We heard the day rooms aren't worth it.

I think this resort is good value for the money in Bora Bora. Over water bungalow is a must at least once in your life!!

We know we are one of the lucky ones who got to experience such beauty and we will be back!

• Stayed: January 2014