“Dream Come True”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
NOLA
“Dream Come True”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed in a beach bungalow at the Pearl and it was probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Jackie and Richard at Custom Tahiti Travel made our reservation for us and handled every last detail. I thought we wanted an OTW bungalow but they convinced me that we would like this and boy did we!!! The bungalow was awesome. It had an outside bathroom!!! That kind of threw me off at first but I got used to it real quick! The bedroom and sitting room looked over the beach and had windows and doors on all sides to open up for a wonderful breeze and a stunning view! The towering palms with hammocks strung across them were sooo inviting! Once on that hammock and time just stopped.....The water was absolutely crystal clear. There was a coral nursery in front of the lobby and that made for excellent snorkeling. If you want to go to the main island there's a ferry that leaves every 30 minutes. Breakfast was included in room cost but I found dinner prices very high. We wound up having a late lunch and skipping dinner completely. We lunched on 'poisson cru' several times while there....an excellent Tahitian dish. Can't wait to try and fix it now that we're home. Julie in the reception area was really helpful. It was like we had known her for years the day we met her. If we needed anything or had any questions we just found Julie. The hotel staff was very nice but I wasn't crazy about the dining staff. Just didn't seem as friendly. But other than that, this was one of the most beautiful places we've ever been and the beach bungalow was awesome. We stayed in an OTW in Moorea and I think I liked this bungalow better!!!

Room Tip: Just can't explain how awesome that beach bungalow was!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dpstravelbug
DavidBallandras, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays.
It is an honour to serve you during your stay and to know that we have made your stay a memorable experience.
We have already passed along your comments, regarding the service, to Julie as recognition for her hard work and to serve as added motivation to continue delivering the highest of standards.

Thank you once again for choosing Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa and we would be delighted to welcome you back.
David Ballandras

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Just got back from a 4 night stay at this resort and I can say that after a rough start to our honeymoon at the Pearl Moorea, this resort made it an amazing trip.

Most noticeably right off the bat is the staff. They were so welcoming and helpful right from the start. The contrast from the miserable crew at the Pearl Moorea could not have been more stark. Put it this way..at the Pearl Bora Bora the contractors who were working on some of the bungalows were more friendly than the paid staff at Pearl Moorea.

We stayed in an end of pontoon overwater bungalow...absolutely spectacular! I read some reviews about "wear and tear"....not sure what that is about. I mean it wasn't built last month (though they are constantly renovating) but it was awesome. The Pearl seems to be middle of the road price wise in Bora Bora.... I can't imagine getting more bang for your buck. The views from the room are better than higher end places like Four Seasons and St Regis. Perhaps those bungalows are nicer but I don't know what more we could have asked for. Great private deck, huge bathroom, flat screen tv, sound dock (old Apple connection), and of course a glass coffee table that you can see fish from...and feed them from your room. I love the ocean yet I find so many islands don't have a beach that lives up to the pictures. This does and then some. Step off your bungalow deck into clear blue, waist deep water with nothing but soft sand below your feet. You can walk out probably 300+ yards before the water starts getting real deep...which is also great.

The food at the Pearl is pretty good. Breakfast is their best offering with a really nice buffett selection. In general, the fish options are the way to go here....as one might expect. We eat a lot of good sushi at home and the raw fish here was really fresh and high quality. Non seafood offerings are just okay but I wasn't expecting much more in that dept. One little complaint would be with the mixed drinks...it seems a lot of the places in Tahiti could use some professional bartender training. Basic drinks like a strawberry daiquiri taste different (some great some undrinkable) each time, and they take a long time to prepare. Food and drinks are not cheap...but you probably weren't expecting that when you decided on Tahiti for a vacation.

Just a few complaints: the shuttle schedule to the main island is not very convenient, you have to go for about an hour or 5 hours. Our last da, they put us in an unair conditioned transit room as our boat to the airport wasn't until 6pm. That room was fine but they charged about 100 USD...seemed a bit excessive given the money we spent there not to mention the money we spent on lunch and drinks in checkout day.

If you are thinking about Bora Bora as a destination.....do it! It is everything you see on a postcard. If you go, I would very highly recommend the Pearl resort. If we could have done it all over we would have come here for the entire trip and skipped Moorea (to be fair I am sure Moorea is much better if you stay at the Hilton or someplace else). Amazing room, friendly staff, and the most spectacular setting you will ever see.

Room Tip: You MUST go overwater bungalow here!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rick G
DavidBallandras, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Rick,
We were glad to welcome you at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, and we do appreciate you valuable notes regarding our hotel premises and our service as well.
We have taken note of the comments you made in regards to the schuttle and the transit room, and we thank you to bring it to our attention, so that we can make adjustments accordingly.
I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.
Stevenson Ranch, California
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our over-the-water bungalow was literally the most beautiful room we have ever stayed in! It is pricey but worth every penny, and be sure to request one at the end of the pontoon. As if the scenery was not gorgeous enough, the entire staff was so good to us. EVERYONE who worked there was so accommodating and pleasant to talk to. We were here for our first wedding anniversary, and the whole trip was like being in Heaven. Having our breakfast delivered by canoe was amazing and delicious, being able to snorkel off your back porch was unbelievable, and the view from your bed is to die for (especially the sunsets). We also loved feeding the fish through our nightstands and coffee table. Since we were out on the water we did not experience any bug problems, and for those of you who complained about the sound of the water, all I can say is that it never bothered us, in fact it was soothing. Furthermore, what do you expect when your entire room is only a few feet above water? The only opportunity for improvement we noticed was that the dining options at night were extremely limited. We recommend ordering room service for dinner.

Room Tip: You must splurge for the over-the-water, end of pontoon, room. You will definitely be missing out if...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KimTC
Dear Kim,
Thank you for the nice review on Tripadvisor.
We are glad that your overall stay was enjoyable.
We hope that you will come and visit us again.
Lomita, California
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Most beautiful place in the world. Stayed for 5 days in OWB #33 surrounded by crystal clear warm water. Friendly, cheerful staff. Most amazing views!!! Breakfast omelets in hotel were delicious. Best restaurants: Mai Kai (with live music) & the St. James. Go to Chin Lee Market on Vaitape & load up on bread, cheese, & wine for in-room picnics. Loved the 90 min. Hobby Cat ride with Captain Olivier. Hotel provided a hospitality room on our last day so we could enjoy the resort after officially checking out. We've traveled in the Caribbean, Mexican Gold Coast, & Hawaii, but BORA BORA is the BEST!!!

Room Tip: OWB away from the beach & dock. Room in the 30s & 40s are best.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ana I
Dear Ana,
Thank you very much for your review on your resent trip in our hotel.
I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay and please let me know when you come for a second visit.
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Bora Bora is the most beautiful place my husband and I have ever been. We are spending our honeymoon between Moorea and Bora Bora. We stayed at the Pearl Resort in Moorea and we are currently at the one in Bora Bora. I will break down our stay so far in BB.

Welcome: Pearl had a friendly Tahitian woman assigned to each guest that arrived to check in and give info about the resort. Lemonade is served and they run you through the available activities. Our welcomer walked us to our overwater bungalow and on the way pointed out a lovely jacuzzi on the pier overlooking the ocean. We were excited to use that. Unfortunately we later found out that the jacuzzi was broken and has been broken for quite some time. This was disappointing. Especially since we were told about the jacuzzi and had it pointed out to us as if we could use it. Overall the welcome/check in was nice (minus the jacuzzi dishonesty)

Internet: ok, they charge an outrageous amount for Internet per day. It is about $30 US dollars per day and e service is terrible. It goes in and out and you can only find service in certain parts of your bungalow. Also, when you pay $30 only one person can use it....the Internet code they give you for $30 may only be used on one device at a time. No one wants to be on the intent in BB! We had to use the Internet for work. It does not make any sense that the Pearl restricts the use to one device. Most vacationers in Tahiti are couples. We do not want to take turns using the Internet. We want to get our work completed so we can enjoy BB together! IMO, if I pay $30 for Internet it should certainly work and I should definitely be able t use it at the same time as my husband. Other down side...takes about 30-40 minutes after you log off one device for you to be able to login on another device.

Front Desk/Reception: terrible. They give false information. I am it sure if they are not well prepared by the Pearl, of they simply do not care, or if the Pearl does not have quality control. Depending on what employee you ask you will get a different answer. I asked one employee how much would a taxi. Be to get to the intercontinental. The employee told me 3,000 francs. I asked another employee how much a taxi would be to get to the little town (10 minute drive) and he told me 3,000 francs. I explained to him that the price could not be correct because the intercontinental is on the opposite side of the island and the town is only 10 minutes away. I had to argue with him to call a taxi to ask the price. In French he asked the person on the phone if they would take us for 2,500 francs. I can understand French. He did not ask, "how much would it be to take a couple to town?" He asked if the person would be willing to take us for 2,500 francs. I am extremely disappointed in the shady employees at the front desk. We have had a number of other instances with the front desk employees.

Pool: nice but the ocean is below our room so of course we are ignoring the so so pool for the incredibly breath taking ocean.

AC: they came to fix it twice. Still isn't working :(

Beach: clean and beautiful

Restaurant: there are three. We have tried two. Breakfast is good. Dinner is not good. The food is mediocre to in edible depending on what you order. Don't eat dinner at the hotel. It is pricey and definitely not worth the price. We have eaten lunch at the hotel every day because it is a hassle to take a boat to the man island of BB then get to a restaurant. The lunch is OK, over priced, definitely not delicious. The happy hour is good! Delicious tropical drinks.

Although I have reported a lot of negatives we are enjoying our stay and absolutely love Moorea and Bora Bora. Would we stay at the Pearl again? No. Would I suggest it to anyone? No. The customer service is seriously lacking. A few tweaks and this would be a lovely place but it does not appear that the employees or the manager are interested in improvement.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank johnsonashley
Dear Ashley,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to offer your feedback concerning our property. It is with constructive comments such as yours that we are able to fine tune our services.
I am especially sorry you didn’t experience the warmth and friendliness of our staff for which we usually receive so many compliments.
The issues that you brought to our attention are important to us and are being addressed, so that we can make adjustments accordingly and guarantee the best experience for our future guests.
I, personally, thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Bridgewater, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I traveled here Oct. 2012 (I'm really late getting this review up). We stayed in a Premium over water bungalow for 4 nights and all I can say is WOW!! Get up in the morning, jump in water right off your bungalow, shower on steps, sip drinks in lounger, eat great meals, repeat. The entire resort is absolutely beautiful with many boats you can use or you can simply swim with the sting rays (from a distance!). They have a really cool man made reef area for snorkeling right at the resort... awesome. Plus each bungalow has a small reef under it that can be viewed thru the glass coffee table. The mountain across the bay also added a picturesque view from our balcony. Highest recommendation!

Room Tip: The Premium over water bungalows are worth the extra money!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TDakin
DavidBallandras, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear TDakin,
Thank you for staying with us and for offering your comments.
It was a pleasure to have you with us and it is wonderful to read that enjoyed your time spent with us.
I hope you will come and visit us again.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were warmly received and checked into our beachfront bungalow that overlooked Mount.Ote Manu. Wow! What a magical place. This is paradise indeed!

The bungalow was spacious and we were just a few feet from the lagoon. A beautiful frangipani tree gave us shade. We loved the outdoor shower. The kids loved it. Great value for money!
Spa is pretty good too.

The New Year's party was quite a show but the food could have been better. The hotel does not have a fireworks display like some on the other side of the island.

The hotel has a lot of activities for free - ping pong, tennis, kayaks etc. The pool could use an update. The food was just passing grade at best. We ate all our dinners out at restaurants.
The hotel schedules a 6:30 pm drop off and restaurants send a taxi.

The staff at the activities desk and the shop were extremely friendly, helpful and nice.We spent 5 nights at the hotel and did not want to leave!

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are awesome especially for families.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Muchmoretogo
Dear Muchmoretogo,
We were glad to welcome you at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, and we do appreciate your valuable notes regarding our hotel premises and our service as well.
I, personally, thank you for taking the time to write on your experience, and sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.