“30th Anniversary in Paradise”

Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Monett, Missouri
“30th Anniversary in Paradise”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent Feb 11-16, 2013 in a Preium Overwater Bungalow #18.
The place was so clean, the colors so bright it seem magical.
The blue lagoons were the most beautful I've ever seen with so many different shades of blue. The water temperture was a warm/cool 80° It felt very refreshing with the 85° weather.
Loved the coral nursery under the bungalows with the colorful fish, so many different kinds. We seen a couple stingrays swim by during the day and a couple (hopefully harmless) sharks at night.
The sun is very intense, you need lots of sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, even a swimming shirt for snorkeling is nice to keep your back from burning. (believe me you will not be sorry)
It is the rainy season, which did not interfere with any of our stay. It rained some at night while we slept. (which I like) When it did rain, it didn't last long and when the sun came out...intense rays!
You do not need an umbrella because they furnish them at every door way.
Everyone was so nice and friendly. They surprised us with a little cake delivered to our room one afternoon. We couldn't say anything bad about the hospitality or service. We got the breakfast & 3 course dinner included. (Great ideal to save lots of money) The breakfast was wonderful with fresh to order eggs, omelets, the best french toast I've ever ate, pancakes, bacon, sausages,cereals, fruits, meats & cheeses, rice, vegetable, all kinds of fresh juices, pastries, yogurts and great coffee, teas, hot chocolates. The 3 course dinner was very nice. You would get bread/butter, a great salad with meat, a main course then dessert. The only complaint about dinner is you had to pay for your water/tea/coke/drink. They would give you 2 different choices of each course on the menu, if you wanted something different you could pay extra. My husband & I were always satisfied with the choices.
The POW Bungalows so cute. They kept them cleaned. They are looking a little older, but charming.
They now charge you $20 round trip to take their water taxi to the town of Vaitape so you can shop.
The only thing bad is that they take you over at for instance 12:30pm and pick you up at 5:00pm. That was way too much time to wait to go back. We ate lunch and bought some souvenirs in the little stores. Mostly they wanted to sell black pearls. We had bought water, diet coke, hair conditioner and a 6pk of local beer $60. Very heavy to carry so you want to look around & shop before you get the heavy stuff and take back and wait for the water taxi. They need to make trips at least every 2 hours. It is only a 5-10 minute boat ride back to the Pearl Beach Resort. The wait to go back was our worse part of the whole trip. We kept saying, "I just want to go back to paridise and lay on the deck of our bungalow!" We had no desire to leave again. Ha, ha.
They did have some mosquitoes. I kept forgetting to put deet on when we would go eat, but I didn't get bit too bad. Didn't see any mosquitoes in the OWB, but they said they were in the garden bungalows.
We got a couples massage at the Spa that was nice, we did it the last day so we would have all day use of the showers at the spa before we left for the airport at 5:30pm since check out is 11am. They kept our luggage by the front desk in a room for us. That saved us money so we didn't have to pay for a late check out or day room.
We took 2 bottles of rum in our checked bags at the airport. You are allowed 2 bottles each. $10 a bottle at Walmart verses $80 a bottle in Bora Bora.
We did the snorkeling by Reef Discovery with Simon as our guide ~ That was well worth it. (Booked the date on-line before the trip) And we did a 2 hour jet ski around the whole lagoon of Bora Bora and 3½ hour snorkel, with stingrays & shark tour with Moana Adventure Tours. Both excursions picked us up at the Pearl Beach dock and brought us back.
It was a very relaxing vacation. Perfect for two people in~love. The time was 4 hours ahead of Missouri where we are from so when we woke up in the moring at 6am ready to go eat it was like 10am back home so we felt very rested.
I read alot of complaints on the hardness of the bed. When I first felt the bed, I thought, boy this is hard. But all 5 nights that I slept on it, I slept so good and woke up with no aches or pains. The room is airconditioned.
I didn't use or miss my computer the whole time I was there. I even took a good book and never read it, all I wanted to do was look at all the beauty.
Advise for you ladies. Take your hair conditioner. They furnished shampoo, lotion, vanilla oil, soap but no conditioner. She said there is conditioner in the shampoo, but I have long thick hair that needs extra conditioner or I can't even comb it. LOL, I took my makeup and didn't use it, sometimes a smile is all you need.
I also took my own snorkel gear and was glad because anytime the mood hit, I was snorkeling! They furnished my husband his but it had to be back at 5pm every night.
We did the free kayaks around the over water bungalows ~ that was fun and easier than I thought it would be.
Take lots of pictures! My husband surprised me by buying the shell key chain with our room #18 on it as a souvenir!

Room Tip: We had #18. Any bungalow not facing the dock or beach is great for view & privacy!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MaryandJames82
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear MaryandJames82,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful holiday, and enjoyed the comfort of your bungalow as well as the facilities throughout our resort.

David Ballandras

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 24, 2013

For the second half of our honeymoon we stayed at the Pearl Beach Resort. The hotel was nice and clean, staff was very friendly and always helpful - absolutely no complaints there! One can book every conceivable activity through the “activity desk”, they have mini golf and tennis, snorkeling equipment and jet skis... You name it, they probably have it. While it’s nice to be pampered, I like discovering places I visit on my own terms. So, I didn’t love the fact that we were out on one of the reefs (motus) and depended on the hotel shuttle boat or organized tours to get anywhere on the main island. All in all, though, I loved my stat there and would definitely recommend it.

Getting to French Polynesia is expensive and being there is no better. The resort took advantage of the fact that there weren’t many accessible alternatives and as one of the cheaper lunch options charged $20 for a small poolside pizza. Why it is necessary to "sour" the experience for high-paying guests by making the unreasonable price level so obvious (rather than just burying $5-10 of this in the room rates) is beyond me. We also avoided the activity desk and instead booked straight with the tour organizers for our shark and sting ray experience (a highly recommendable activity!). You can expect significant discounts by booking for yourself! We paid $100 for a whole day tour that included a barbecue on one of the reefs vs. others on the same tour paying $120 for the half-day tour without the barbecue through the hotel!

Room Tip: Over-water bungalows are noisier than you may think (due to the waves below).
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Holland
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I'll think it is the most romantic island worldwide.
Both the beach bungalows and the overwater villas were awesome
The beach bungalows because of the privacy and the overwater villa because of the view and direct access to the lagoon
It was a great place to stay, we loved it and will definitely go back there, looking forward to this!!

Room Tip: We would recommend to stay in an overwatervilla instead of a premium overwatervilla because the view...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LiaSlappendel
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear LiaSplappendel,

Clackamas County, Oregon
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to both the Moorea & Bora Bora Pearl resort from 1/28/13 - 2/5/13. It was awesome! We went in low season, their summer, but it rains alot. We were lucky the whole time we were there. Great weather! The Pearl Bora Bora is beautiful. We had an over the water bungalow and were able to jump into the beautiful 3-4 feet warm water just below us. I don't recommend the over Bungalow for small children as they could easily fall into the water if not watched carefully. The garden bungalows would be better for small children. It was relaxing and beautiful and the staff were very helpful and trustworthy. The breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner were all very good. We booked our vacation through Costco and everything went very smoothly. All the transfers from Airport to ferry to Hotel. The spa is very relaxing as well. Bring bug spray though, we got eaten alive and we had bug spray. Bora Bora is expensive, but we were able to go to the market in Tahiti and exchange money and get groceries that saved us some money. Wonderful trip and stay at the Pearl!

Room Tip: Ask for the further out Bungalow.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nicole M
Dear NicoleS,

We are delighted to read that you found our bungalow to be comfortable, and our lagoon to be suitable for your enjoyment.

Thank you once again for your stay with us. We do hope you will honor us with a return visit to our property.

ny, ny
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Pearl gets 5-stars for overall value and a hard working local staff. If you dream of relaxing on your Over Water Bungalow deck with an unobstructed view of Mt. Otemanu and jumping right into the crystal clear water then book a Premium Over Water Bungalow (POWB)* at the Pearl and just enjoy being in Bora Bora.

The staff was great on all levels and the GM allowed our honeymoon to end on really high note because he made a reasonable accommodation (that he did not have to do as per the letter of law). The location/views from the POWB’s are spectacular and the point of going there. The spa was top notch in look and feel. The grounds are pretty and well kept. The rest of the facilities ranged from “very nice” to “in need of updating.”

I think the worst thing you can do is say “I spend $200/night for a regular hotel back home so $500-$1,000/night should get me the best stuff ever!” You are not all together wrong, but one can only compare to the possible alternatives, and remember you’re paying to be in Bora Bora.

A POWB at the Pearl may cost about the same as a regular OWB at some “newer/fancier” resorts (depending on season) but you’ll probably be stuck looking away from the mountain or direct at other OWB’s. Even our particular "Mountain View" room at the Four Seasons (definitely worth the experience even for one night!), which listed for 2x as much, had nowhere near as good of a view as our POWB at the Pearl. The Pearl also had a lot more natural marine life but I digress… You can pay less but be on the main island, which is very nice, but not as good as being on a private motu facing Mt. Otemanu. The Pearl was a great balance of all considerations.

We ate very well. Breakfast was awesome and lunch/dinner very good. The Italian restaurant was a nice change of pace (intimate setting) but was the least thrilling of all our meals. Booking tours through the Pearl activities desk was easy (Jet Ski & Shark/Sting Ray a must!). You can book direct via email with Moana Tours for a few bucks less (cash only), but the convenience going through the resort may be worth it for some.

A few general notes about BB: 1) Bloody Mary's was delicious and worth it. 2) Go into the main town just once to buy water, snacks, and wine. There is not much else there. 3) Bring medicines with you, basic things like cough/cold pills, bacitracine for cuts, band aids, ect - there is only one pharmacy and it’s on the main island. 4) Sit LEFT side of plane heading into BB if possible.

All in all we had a great time at the Pearl and for Bora Bora where value is hard to find you actually get some here. We bounced around FP and stayed in some fabulous places (can you say VAHINE Island!), but now that it’s been a few months we look back and some of the best times of our honeymoon were relaxing on our POWB deck at the Pearl enjoying the fabulous sun, sunsets and sunrises.

*As a note, while most of the "Premium" OWBs face direct towards the Mountain a few are situated away (with the "best lagoon views" as per the website). So best to be as clear as possible with your travel agent or hotel rep that you desire a mountain facing POWB if that is the case.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank samdogNY
Dear SamdogNY,
Thank you for choosing the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa for celebrating your honeymoon.
It is an honour to serve you during such a unique event and to know that we have made your stay a memorable experience.
Awaiting the moment of welcome you again
I hope you will come and visit us again.
Best Regards
Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at both the Hilton Nui Bora Bora and Pearl Beach for our honeymoon. Between the 2 resorts I preferred the views of Pearl Beach as it faces Mt. Otemanu; however, the Hilton resort was much nicer. We stayed in one of the premium over water bungalows. The view from the bungalow was breathtaking! The bungalow has a spacious bathroom and bedroom area, as well as it's own upper and lower deck. The resort itself was much smaller than the Hilton Nui and its beach was smaller. Pearl Beach had 2 restaurants, a bar & grill by the pool, a more upscale restaurant, as well as a sports bar with billiard tables. The resort does offer complementary snorkels, kayaks, and canoes. The staff were very friendly and welcoming.

If you are looking for a more private experience, I would recommend the Hilton Nui over this resort. We stayed here the second portion of our trip and found that there were many families with children staying there and overall it just seemed to be a lot busier. The Pearl Beach resort also does not have a direct shuttle to take you to Vaitape (the main town on the main island). You will take a brief shuttle ride across the lagoon and then take a bus into town. You will have to pay for the bus tickets to get you to and from town. There is also a limited bus schedule in comparison to the boat shuttle schedule. If you are going to the main island for an excursion, the tours will pick you up right from Pearl Beach's landing on the main island, and you will not need to take the bus.

As far as the room, the only complaint we had was the bed-the mattress was very hard.

If you are looking for great views, this resort has them. If you are looking for something more from your resort, I would recommend you research others.

Room Tip: If you stay at this resort, you have to stay in a premium over water bungalow as you will have the b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa K
Dear Melissa K,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to offer your feedback concerning our property. It is with constructive comments such as yours that we are able to fine tune our services.
The issues that you brought to our attention are important to us and are being addressed, so that we can make adjustments accordingly and guarantee the best experience for our future guests.
I, personally, thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Best Regards
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent 5 nights here on our honeymoon, and splashed out and stayed in one of the overwater bungalows. The resorts location is amazing - isolated with a stunning outlook of Mont Otemanu.

The novelty of having small sections of artificial reef underneath the bungalow didn't wear off - we found it very relaxing, with the added bonus of easy access to the sea. We were able to snorkel to the coral garden that they have created, which had a large variety of tropical reef fish resident there.

The room was really nice and well maintained, and the turndown service was really good. It was different every night, with a card with a different legend for us to peruse.

We found the English spoken there was impeccable, and the food really was great. The Island Night was a bit boring, but in our part of the world there is a lot of really impressive Pacifica groups doing there thing.

Overall, highly recommend the resort, and we'd love to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Oliver F
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Oliver F,

Thank you for choosing our resort for celebrating your honeymoon.