“Worst service and lowest price - quality ratio ever experienced”

Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Uetikon am See, Switzerland
“Worst service and lowest price - quality ratio ever experienced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

BB is light years away from what can be expected from any leading hotel. Overall tune of local staff - foreign staff try to make up for it, but are outnumbered - 'it's not my responsibility', their attitude with few exceptions - e.g. Heipua, very friendly, client oriented & competent - is unfriendly & client averse, their work incompetent & slow. BB seriously lacks management and leadership, we've not met the GM, David Ballandras, once during our 12 nights stay. The quality of food and cuisine are mediocre and lack variety, platters, jars etc. of b/f buffet were regularly empty, same valid for many dishes on x-mas eve. The latter a costly event 'guests are obligated to participate' as one staff phrased it - that's exactly how one felt as a customer. Our premium over-water bungalow was ok, showing its age, not overly clean, sheets stained and torn. However, no reason to got to BB for this, the Maldives provide a large number of much nicer resorts with truly awesome over-water bungalows, with direct access to the corals and snorkeling sites and truly unforgettable, friendly service and delicious food.
Never going back ever again. If you get a deal for USD 200 b/b a night you may think about it otherwise it's neither worth your money nor your good mood.

13 Thank ZOC888
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Zoc 888,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here.
We would be most happy to speak with you directly about your concerns. The comfort of our guests is our foremost concern, and we practice performing this at the highest level every day. Please contact me directly at gm@borapearlbeach.pf to provide me with your phone number to discuss further as we certainly would like to resolve this.
Many thanks.

David Ballandras

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We spent 3 nights at BB Pearl during a 5 day stopover in Tahiti. The weather was not great, but we had a fantastic 4 days in BB. The resort has a stunning location & the sand bottomed lagoon beneath the over water bungalows is breathtaking.

We chose the BB Pearl because it was one of the only resorts to accept children, which we were very grateful for. That said, it isn't particularly child oriented (no childcare etc), but that didn't cause us any issues.
We had an overwater bungalow, so we avoided the inevitable '10 month old trying to eat sand' by being able to transition right from our own deck to the lagoon. The room was fantastic & well stocked, there were a few things that needed attention (lights not working), but these were addressed very quickly by the staff; the shower & balcony sliding doors were very sticky & hard to move (which were not addressed during our stay). The one issue with a 10 month old baby, was there was no way to lock the top of the 'fish viewing/feeding box', which our son quickly discovered he could open, so we had to pile luggage on top of it to prevent him doing so (which detracted from the aesthetics a bit).
The staff were very friendly & attentive in all areas.
The activity desk had a variety of excursions, we took the half day snorkelling excursion (with Pure Snorkelling), which was fantastic & very baby friendly! We are avid hikers & were disappointed the only hiking they could recommend was on a guided tour, at a cost (we later heard from the 'Pure Snorkelling' operator that there is an easily found track up the mountain).

On the return airport transfer, we were dropped at the airport 2 hrs before our flight & then the flight was delayed 1 hr (BB airport is not a well-equipped place to relax with a 10 month old); this transpired to be an admin error & to their credit, the resort quickly credited us the cost of the airport transfer when we highlighted this.

We arrived on an 8am flight from Papeete & they checked us right into our room on arrival which was nice & (for a fee) we were able to stay in our room until we departed for the airport on an evening flight.

Overall a wonderful 4 days, but with a little extra effort, this resort could be extraordinary.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank hutchero
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Hutchero,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to offer your feedback concerning our property. It is with constructive comments such as yours that we are able to fine tune our services.

The issues that you brought to our attention are important to us and are being addressed, so that we can make adjustments accordingly and guarantee the best experience for our future guests.

I, personally, thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is basically a very good hotel. It is expensive, but naturally we understood this before we made the reservation, hence can't complain about it now. My wife and I wanted to experience staying at an over the water place so we decided to splurge for one night getting a premium OTW bungalow on Expedia for about $592. The room and the common areas/views were excellent. The number of fish during snorkeling in the lagoon turned out to be far less than what we were hoping for.

In addition to the room rate, the mandatory boat ride to and from the airport costs to a couple 7800 cfp (nearly $100). What disappointed me most was the fact that you have to pay for Wi-FI
additionally,when I knew that WI-FI would be free in the next hotel we would stay for around $100 per night on the main island! I suppose it is good marketing keeping the room rate low and adding fees to basic needs!

Making a direct phone call from the room to the main island was impossible(The line was always busy). I wanted to ask for help from the front desk but it was always busy too(over half an hour). I had to go to reception and when I mentioned the problem to the gentleman at the front desk, he did not seem to be surprised and used his cellphone to make the call for me.

There was only one restaurant open. The food was so so. The risotto I had was the smallest I have ever seen! The breakfast was good but for fruits, they had only fruit salad.

Overall, the hotel is nice but there are several areas that can be improved.

5 Thank ryokogasuki
Dear Valued Guest,

We were glad to welcome you at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, and we do appreciate you valuable notes regarding our hotel premises and our service as well.

We have taken note of the comments you made in regards to the choice for the dinner, and we thank you to bring it to our attention, so that we can make adjustments accordingly.

I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Middlesex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

This review comes a little late as my husband and I honeymooned there in September but I relied on these reviews to book my trip and felt guilty not posting about my experience. We came from New Jersey and almost didn't go because of how long the travel was going to be but I am so happy we made the once in a lifetime journey. Well might have thought it would be once in a lifetime before we left but we have decided once isn't enough of this beautiful paradise.

We chose the Pearl because we wanted to spend four days at the St. Regis and 4 at another hotel and the budget wouldn't allow for much more expensive. I am so glad our travel company selected this resort for us. Obviously the St. Regis is the St. Regis but it felt very commercial and this resort made you feel like you were in the French Polynesian. The staff was all from there and loved to teach you about their land. We stayed in a Garden Bungalow which I was nervous about but I loved it! Such privacy with your own pool or hot tub and outdoor lounging area and shower. The one suggestions I do have is opt for the room with the jacuzzi as the pool is a little cool. Everything was just beautiful.

Since it was so much less than the St. Regis I didn't go in expecting much but the staff, accommodations and views were breathtaking. The only cons I would say is the food is not spectacular but we had the all inclusive package and just made do with the dinners we got. It wasn't by any means inedible is just wasn't the best. The breakfast buffet however is something my husband still talks about. People ask him about the different hotels and he goes on and on about the breakfast buffet - go figure! I will say the view from the buffet and the variety of it is awesome so don't miss it! Another con would probably be the beach. The water only comes about knee high and even most bungalows didn't look like they were in very deep water which I thought was a minor downside but no big deal.

Pacific For Less helped us with booking the trip and I would highly recommend them. I shopped around quite a bit and found out about them after reading the reviews of others on this site. I was nervous as I was unfamiliar with them but there are not many travel companies that arrange trips to the French Polynesian on the East Coast so I gave them a shot. They by far had the best packages to offer and when I told the competitors what was included the couldn't match it. Their knowledge of the island, restaurant recommendations and excursion recommendations were perfect! Speaking of which the Jet Skiing excursion was great! I highly recommend that and the private boat trip that we took. We hardly ever get pictures taken where we are both in them and my husband hates it but he LOVED this excursion. We booked it through Pacific For Less along with our jet skiing excursion and these two things remain the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Amanda L
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Amanda L,

Thank you for choosing our resort for celebrating your honeymoon.
I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful holiday, and enjoyed the comfort of your bungalow as well as the facilities throughout our resort.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for your future holiday.

Altamonte Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I spent our last 3 days of our honeymoon here (January 3rd through the 5th) in a premium overwater bungalow (#36). We would rather have had #35 (has direct views of the lagoon as well as the mainland, but ours was wonderful nonetheless. Being able to feed the fish and snorkel right from our bungalow was awesome. Make sure that you do not feed the fish anything except for the fish food from the gift shop (it contains vitamins and minerals, all other food such as bread is not healthy for them). The resort is absolutely beautiful! The entire staff was super friendly and very accommodating. We can't stop thinking about the breathtaking views and scrumptious food! Our package included breakfast and dinner. Mondays and Fridays, dinner is accompanied by a Polynesian show. You do not want to miss it...I was asked to dance on the last night of our stay...what a blast! By the way, if you can afford it, get a massage. My husband and I had the couples relaxation massage. It was so relaxing that I caught myself falling asleep a couple of times.

Room Tip: For privacy beachside, choose one of the very private garden suites. We didn't stay in one, but...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank crystal d
Dear Crystal D,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review on Tripadvisor.

We are glad that your stay was unforgettable and I hope you will come and visit us again.

Wishing you all the best

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you want to enjoy a Polyniesia hotel the Bora Bora Pearl is a must, the welcome, the staff and the service was astonishing!!
The bar with Happy hour and giant screen with a view of the over water bungalows is a wow!

A big Bravo! to the management!

Room Tip: Pick a Garden Bungalow versus an Over water you will be pleased!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Zorrrro56
Dear Zorrrro56,

Thank you for staying with us and for offering your comments.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and it is wonderful to read that enjoyed your time spent with us.

I hope you will come and visit us again.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

A honeymoon vacation in mid-December. This review will be detailing some not so commonly reviewed topics.
First off, stay in the overwater bungalows as its what you should be there for, but stay at the end of the dock in the bungalows facing in the direction of #41/#42/#43 as these have the longest sun over the balcony and amazing sunsets.
The rooms have AC but a little noisy. The AC power for 120V appliances is a little weak. Its ok for recharging batteries but not for blenders or curling irons. The mini fridge in the room is small so if you bring your own booze, which i highly recommend getting it at LAX, don't expect to keep it chilled. An ice machine is provided just outside along the dock close to most rooms. If you get booze at LAX, Tahiti airport security will let you carry it it through to your next flight so don't worry about stuffing it into your check baggage. The room always had hot water and no power outages which was amazing for an isolated resort. The walk from the bungalows at the end to the resort is about 10 minutes so keep that in mind.
Buffet breakfast is good and also the lunch menu. I'd recommend eating a big late lunch and avoid dinner since its not that great and super expensive as everything costs extra including water.
Everything else around the resort is averge from the pool to mini golf, pool table and tennis court.
The weather was mostly cloudy this time of year. you do get sunny breaks once in a while along with terrential rain too, but the heat is 24 hours and the lagoon water warm.
Evenings at the resort are quiet, lounge has some quiet music most nights. Don't expect to party and dance. Evenings end early but mornings begin really early!!!

Room Tip: Room #43 is probably the best overwater bungalow. At the end of the dock with partial view of Mount...
4 Thank Zigie
Dear Zigie,

We were glad to welcome you at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, and we do appreciate you valuable notes regarding our hotel premises.

We have taken note of the comments you made in regards to the dinner, and we thank you to bring it to our attention, so that we can make adjustments accordingly.

I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.