“Overwater bungalow Bliss”

Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a great resort for over water bungalows. period. The snorkeling at the reef nursery was some of the best we had in bora bora and moorea. The water was so blue and the bottom of the sea was so soft and white it was very nice. The bungalows had every thing we could want or need, and we really tried hard to limit our spending at the resort and were able to get away without spending fortune on food. The breakfast was great, but most of all the OW bungalow was exactly what I hoped for. Bora Bora was on the top of my "bucket list" after seeing tahiti portrayed in certain movies and TV. We will go here again for sure!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steph R
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear StephR,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

We are delighted to read that you found our bungalow to be comfortable, and our lagoon to be suitable for your enjoyment.

Thank you once again for your stay with us. We do hope you will honor us with a return visit to our property.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I were at the Pearl for 2 weeks in September. It was absolutely the best vacation we have ever had. By the second day we were known by name. The staff would go out of there way to help us with anything we needed. We were in a premium overwater bungalow. The best view ever. We met a couple that came there from Hawaii for a long weekend. I would go back anytime.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank LOSUsa
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Dear Losusa,

Thank you very much for your review on your resent trip in our hotel.
I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay and please let me know when you come for a second visit.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

After staying in Moorea, we flew to Bora Bora and stayed at the Bora Bora Pearl Resort. This resort is absolutely beautiful. While not a big resort (none of them really are in French Polynesia) you don't really need a lot to do at the resort. You spend most of your time either outside of the resort or in the water or in your bungalow that having a ton of resort entertainment isn't really necessary. We stayed in a premium overwater bungalow, that although is a little walk back to the resort, is in a perfect location over the water. The coral underneath our bungalow was beautiful and it was amazing to see all of the different sea life swimming around. We even got to see some rays and little sharks swimming around our bungalow. This area of the resort is actually very easy to go into the water and then walk pretty far out into the lagoon where you are waist deep. I was able to wake up and see Mt. Otemanu as soon as I sat up in bed. I was there on a FAM trip and so I shared a room with another agent. It was easy because I had the actual bed and she had the other bed that was a single bed that doubled as a couch. So this could be perfect for either a couple or 2 friends if they just wanted a girls trip.

While I didn't partake in the spa, we were given a tour of it by the manager David and his wife who is actually the spa manager. (I forget her name) The spa was absolutely beautiful and I could definitely see spending a lot of time there if we were there for more than just a few days.

The food was great, but keep in mind that there is only 2 restaurants on site, but the food doesn't get old. There is quite a variety for breakfast in the morning, but I usually just went with the crepes and nutella :) That was always delicious.

You can rent out snorkel gear for free and also use the paddle boats and kayaks. That's a nice touch.

I would highly recommend this resort! It's perfect for someone that doesn't have a St. Regis budget, but still wants the amazingness of Bora Bora. We also went and had lunch and toured the Hilton Bora Bora Nui and although it was a beautiful resort, I would stay at the Bora Bora Pearl again because of the amazing views of Mt. Otemanu.

One more thing, the sharks and rays feeding is a MUST!! absolutely incredible. Also, the motu picnic is fascinating and see if they will take you snorkeling to the coral garden. Awesome experience! TAKE SUNSCREEN!!!!

Room Tip: get a premium overwater bungalow as they are further out in the water. We were in bungalow 46 I beli...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank stpattysgirl1982

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent visit to Bora Bora. It was a pleasure to have you with us and it is wonderful to read that enjoyed your time spent with us .

We anticipate welcoming you back in the future and hope you will have more time upon your return to enjoy our Manea Spa.

Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

As soon as you are getting off the boat into the resort, you know you have picked the right hotel!!! The water is like nothing you will see anywhere else. The grounds are manicured and lush. The rooms are fantastic. We had the beach bungalow with the jacuzzi which was fantastic. The meals were just right as we had the board plan. The food was well prepared and a lot of time and effort goes into everything on the island! Beautiful place and great people!!!

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Braxi33,

Thank you for staying with us and for offering your comments.

I am delighted to read that our service upon arrival and during your stay exceeded your expectations.
It is our pleasure to be of service to you and I hope you will come and visit us again.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our anniversary trip last week in Bora Bora! It was amazing in every way! We left from LAX to Papeete and then connected to a flight into Bora Bora. Once we got there, we had Custom Tahiti agents waiting for us to take to our boat shuttle to the Pearl Beach Resort and Spa AND had gotten lei greetings once arriving into Papeete and again ariving into Bora Bora. It was so nice having them there to greet us and help us with connections and our vouchers for excursions, accomodations, and flight back home. We were also greeted with a bottle of wine for our anniversary compliments of custom tahiti.
Thank you Custom Tahiti for Everything !!
Once arriving at the Pearl Resort we were treated so kindly from our first hello to our last goodbye. They greet you with a cold drink and wet towels to refresh you as you sign in and wait for your room. Our premium overwater bungalow was very nice with polynesian accents and amazing views of Mt. Otemanu! We loved the fact that the ow bungalows were in shallow water so we took full advantage of it and swam, snorkeled and lounged every min we could in the beautiful water. We had dinner out in mainland everytime except once when we ate a late lunch at the poolside restaurant. Our restaurants included Mai Kai, La Bounty, Fare Maniua (the lucky house) and of course the famous Bloody Mary's. Our favorite was Mai Kai and La Bounty came in second we actually visited la bounty twice during our stay. Most of our dinners came out to $65-$95 for the two of us which included drinks and entrees. All four of the restaurants we vistited will pick you up from the boat shuttle and take you back before last boat shuttle pick up.
Our breakfast was included in our trip itinerary and that was a big help not having to worry about paying extra for it. They had lots to choose from including french toast, omelets, eggs benedict, pancakes, sausage, bacon, potatoes, crepes, different breads, juices, fruits and yogurts... & much more.
The room is a nice size and bathroom is very well designed for two ppl getting showered and ready. Make sure you take your adapters for your appliances. We had taken both adapter and converter but only ended up really needing the adapters cuz when we used the converter my appliances would not perform as normal. (slow or not heating up)
For our drinks throughout the trip we took our alcohol in our run rummers and just bought juices and beer at the Chin Lees in town. We took a collapsible cooler and filled it up with ice to keep our juices fresh. Make sure you take plenty of zip lock bags to store any snack or food you might take into your bungalow, it protects it from the tiny little ants that bora bora has. Going into town was easy once you understand the shuttle and bus schedules. We visited twice to shop for snacks, juices and souveniers.
We went to the Shark and Ray encounter through the activities desk at the pearl resort and must say It Was The Best !! Thanks to Will from Shark Boy we had a memorable and amazing experience swimming with the sharks and sting rays. I can't even explain how it felt to be in the water with them both and not have any fear at all. Thanks again to Will for making our experience so enjoyable! I Highly Recommend everyone to do this excursion at least once when in Bora Bora!
Take plenty of sunscreen since you are putting it on many times in one day. The sun is very powerful there and can burn you easier than in other places. We came back with a very nice dark tan and love it ! Take plenty of pictures and a underwater camera is highly recommended! We enjoyed a couples massage on our last day since we had a late flight out an have to say it was out of this world. We were able to shower and get ready at the spa before we left this beautiful island and great staff at the Pearl Resort.

Thanks again to the wonderful staff at The Pearl Resort , Custom Tahiti and Will from Shark Boy for the memorable and enjoyable times we will cherish forever! Mauruuru , Bora Bora ;)

Room Tip: any of the premium overwater bungalows , we had number 32 and loved it!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bee1u
DGBorapearlbeach, Directeur général at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear bee1u,

Thank you for staying with us and for offering your comments.

I am delighted to read that our service upon arrival and during your stay exceeded your expectations and that you have had a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We traveled here as a family of four (our kids are 5 and 9). We stayed in premium overwater bungalow #50, and we loved it! Our trip was to celebrate something pretty major in our lives, so my husband called ahead to see if we could perhaps get one of the OW bungalows that were recommended on tripadvisor (we know - lots and lots of people are on a honeymoon or celebrating a major anniversary, but ours was pretty much as big a celebration as we could imagine, so we called ahead anyway). He spoke with Giulia at the resort (he called the hotel's number direct, not reservations), and she was totally fantastic. When we arrived, Giulia did our personalized check-in (very nice - sitting comfortably in the open-air lobby, sipping welcome drinks, freshening up with the moist handtowels). She told us our bungalow would be #50, which is not one of the ones mentioned in other reviews, but it was amazing! The bed perfectly aligned with the view of Mt Otemanu, so when I woke up in the morning, I would see the most amazing sunrise over Otemanu without even getting up.

We really appreciate Giulia's help. She was fantastic throughout our stay (she is at the activities desk in the lobby, as well as doing personalized check-ins etc). Also, I should mention that our bungalow was not ready when we arrived, but Giulia knew that I had been through major medical treatments over the past year (thus the celebration), and she put a day room at our disposal until the room was ready. That was incredibly considerate, and very much appreciated. She also called our next hotel, the Tikehau Pearl, to make sure our accommodations there would be outstanding, and they definitely were. Thanks Giulia!

We booked our trip through Janine Elder at travelseeker4u dot com, and she was totally amazing! She was able to combine two great promotions for our package: kids fly,stay, and eat free combined with stay 5 at Bora Bora Pearl Resort, get 5 nights at Tikehau Pearl Resort free. We are Costco members, so we initially called Costco travel, but they were not able to get the two promotions together in one package. I searched the web and found travelseeker4u, and gave them a call. The fact that Janine at TravelSeeker4U got it done was fantastic! She was incredibly on-the-ball, responsive, etc. And everything she put together (flights, transfers, hotels, etc) went smoothly. I should mention that with the Kids Fly Free deal, they fly free on Air Tahiti Nui only, and at a reduced rate (maybe half price, certainly not free) inter-island on Air Tahiti.

I'll post a photo of the bungalow map (not the best pic because the map is laminated and tacked to the door of the bungalow). I think any bungalow with the same orientation as bungalow 50 is an awesome choice. It's really nice to have a straight-on view of Mt Otemanu. But any bungalow facing the same general direction as #50 has a good view of Otemanu. We had sunrise views and a nice reflected sunset. There are a few premium OW bungalows that have sunset views and a view of the reef/ocean/Motu Tapu rather than Mt Otemanu.

We had breakfast included in our rate, and it was very good. I really enjoyed the eggs benedict that they served. As a result of the medical treatments I underwent, eating is very difficult, so its a huge deal for me to say I enjoyed eating. Hats off to the chef for that! I think it is the first food I have enjoyed in the last year. We should email the hotel to find out what the sauce was - not the usual Hollandaise, much better (that is, much better for me). The coconut croissants and chocolate croissants were also good, as well as the fruits and veggies.

We ate at the pool bar a lot (it works best with young children). The kids-eat-free deal was very good (choice of appetizer plus main entree from the kids menu for free with adults ordering off the regular menu). The kids menu had lots of choices, and my son developed a real appreciation for poisson cru (raw fish marinated in coconut milk, lemon, etc) - that was his favorite appetizer. It was great - I ordered the adult version which looked identical and it was good too. But sometimes the pool bar food was not good - massively overcooked fish or chicken. With the great kids eat free deal, it was much easier to overlook the occasional culinary lapses. Of course the food is fairly expensive ($20 sandwiches), but that's true everywhere in French Polynesia. Our family of four usually spent about $60 to $65 for lunch, because the kids' meals were free and because we did not order drinks other than a large bottle of water.

The coral nursery is incredibly cool. There are so many different kinds of fish there! The coral under bungalow 50 was also great. There was a yellow eel living in the coral head. Don't see that everyday!

Housekeeping was very good. One late afternoon we went paddleboarding, and when we returned, we had already received turn-down service. I felt bad, as I had not thought that housekeeping would be through while we were gone, and I had not made my kids pick up their toys, so there was some disarray. But when we got back, everything was lovingly put away, and my daughter's stuffed animals were adorably arranged on her bed, with her books on the pillow ready for bedtime. That was so sweet!!!

Oops, almost forgot: our bed was indeed quite hard. We probably should have asked for a topper. I read a review that said the hotel offers them - never got around to asking (having too much fun).

The bungalows are not the newest. I think this is totally reflected in the price relative to other BB hotels. But if you are expecting the newest, most up-to-date, super luxury, pay more and go to St Regis, 4 Seasons, etc. We were totally happy with our accommodations.

Thank you Bora Bora Pearl for an outstanding stay!

Room Tip: Check the bungalow map I posted - any room with same orientation as #50 should have a perfectly alig...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank VnJnAnJ

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are pleased to read that your holiday exceeded your expectations and that you were able to return feeling relaxed. From the comfort of your bungalow and the exceptional view of the Mount Otemanu to the delicious breakfast at the Tevairoa Restaurant, it is wonderful that each combined to make a memorable stay for you.

We have already passed along your comments, regarding the service, to Giulia, our Public Relation Manager, and all of our team as recognition for their hard work and to serve as added motivation to continue delivering the highest of standards.

Thank you once again for choosing Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa and we would be delighted to welcome you back once again for your future holidays.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had an amazing time at Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort. We stayed for 3 nights in a Garden Suite with Plunge Pool and we are so happy we did ! The suite is beautiful and it was so nice to have our own little pool. We had a lot of privacy, much more than the privacy we could have had in an Overbungalow Bungalow. I'd definitely recommend going for the Garden Suite !
Other than that, the beach was amazing, the food was very good even though the waiters are a little pushy. They'd push us the whole time to have us order more than just one bottle of water and we found this quite rude. However, we acknowledge the fact that it's not their fault, but rather the hotel policy which is wrong.
Anyway, we had a wonderful stay ! Go, you won't regret it !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alessia P

Dear AlessiaP,

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to offer your comments. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful holiday.

I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the service at the restaurant. I have already passed these along to our management for review and continued improvement to deliver the highest standards of service.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for your future holiday.