“Hilton Bora Bora - Exceptional, 5 stars”

Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Alexandria, Virginia
“Hilton Bora Bora - Exceptional, 5 stars”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My wife and I spent our honeymooon at the Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort. We were there from 9-16 July. From the moment we arrived we felt special - from the greeting at the airport, the greeting at the hotel, to the tour of the resort as we were taken to our room. The staff, from the welcoming/office staff to the cleaning personnel were all friendly, courteous, and willing to help. We were always greeted with a smile and an appropriate salutation (e.g. "Ia Orana" or good morning). Kudos especially to the front desk staff and the activities desk. Both know and understand what customer service is all about and it made my wife and I feel very special and welcomed. Without a doubt, everything was superd. As a Diamond hilton I've stayed in my share of hotels around the world and this one clearly is tops. In fact, we were booked to stay at a different resort during the last half of our stay but we felt so welcomed and special that we decided stayed here for our entire trip! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone if you are going to Bora Bora. Please tell them Laura and Charles sent you!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LauraCharles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This hotel is in a beautiful location with fantastic beaches and clear water. The service was also good. Everytime we had a problem, it was attended to promptly, not what I expected given some of the reviews on this site. The food was generally okay but expensive, as is everything on Bora Bora. The breakfast buffet was good with very attentive service. We thought the restaurant down by the beach was better than the main, more upmarket restaurant upstairs. The upmarket restaurant was very expensive and had no vegetarian options. They did, however, cook pasta when my wife requested a vegetarian option and they did not charge for it. The cocktails are quite expensive but they do have a 2 for 1 happy hour between 5-6pm, which made the drinks prices equivalent to a cocktail in a 5-star hotel elsewhere (around 10-12 dollars each.)

We did not get a massage here even though the spa was in a lovely location on a hill overlooking the beach, because the prices were simply exhorbitant. We stayed in an overwater bungalow. The room was large and the bathroom was one of the best we had ever seen, better than the Dorchester in London. The walk-in shower was amazing. Unlike some of the reviews, our toilet was clean, even though the seat was a little old and some of its coating had worn off.

The real drawback was the shuttle to the main city of Vaitape. It was infrequent and you had to pay 1500XFR (roughly 16 dollars) to take it from the hotel at 6 and 7pm. We took the 4pm shuttle to go out to dinner at a different restaurant to avoid the shuttle charge and then did not get back until 9:30pm because the restaurant did not open until 6:30pm and there was only a 7:30pm and 9:30pm shuttle back to the hotel. On another day, we had a tour that dropped us off at 4:30pm in Vaitape and we just missed the boat to the hotel. Had the front desk not taken pity on us when we called, we would have had to wait for the next boat at 6:30pm. When we called the front desk, they sent out a boat to pick us up anyway.

Reception and checkout were good. We filled out the check-in forms on the boat on the way which made check-in fairly easy. The staff member who picked us up and took us to the airport was very helpful and made sure we received all our luggage. We were made to feel very welcome. The staff even gave us stale bread to feed the fish from our bungalow and while we were snorkelling. Some of the staff's English is not that great, but I found with the non-English speaking staff that we could get by with some high school level French. Most of them did speak English, however, and if they did not, they tried their hardest to understand what you were saying despite the language barrier.

The hotel had free internet access at its business center which was quite useful for staying in touch.

We also like the remoteness of the location because there were no other hotels around. The hotel's area was quite large and you almost felt as if you were the only guests. I thought this hotel would make an ideal romantic getaway. I would not recommend bringing children to this resort as it seems more of a honeymoon location and is very remote.

3 Thank Zebedee64
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I was a bit leery of staying at the Hilton given the mixed reviews -- but as the other resorts we were considering were booked -- we ended up having the best vacation ever at the Bora Bora Nui. The desk staff were remarkably kind and caring and professional - as were the folks in the restaurants. We stayed in a deluxe overwater king bungalow and I never wanted to leave. This resort is quite spread out - and we never felt the presence of other guests except when they kayaked past our over-water balcony!!! We chose not to eat at the hotel beyond the buffet breakfast which was quite good -- with a large array of choices, but instead headed into the town via charming boat taxi for meals at local restaurants -- we didn't bother with the fancy places -- we thoroughly enjoyed the non-tourist local food -- from cafes and food trucks! in fact had the best mahi mahi ever at Chez Chris -- a truck with a bbq set up outside at dusk.
On our return to the airport I learned another benefit of the Nui over the other resorts we considered from other returning visitors -- we had fantastic snorkeling by slipping into the lagoon right off our private overwater balcony - apparently the resorts on the other side of the atoll do not and people had to travel to go snorkeling -- as this was a big highlight of our trip -- i am doubly glad we chose the Bora Bora Nui!!!!

3 Thank trevorbr
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed July 8, 2010

My husband and I love to vacation in tropical locations. On average, we go on two vacations per year. By far, our vacation in Bora Bora at the Hilton Bora Bora Nui has been the best. We stayed here for 9 nights in the over-water villa. To say that the resort is like a screen-saver is an understatement. The food was ok but the staff more than made up for it. From the housekeeping service to restaurant staffs...all were extremely accommodating to our needs. Two in particular made our trip complete - our guest relation managers, Sakiko Furukawa and Tepoe Teavai. I highly recommend this resort if you want to go somewhere relaxing and forget about everything else!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pagna_203
tokyo
Reviewed July 4, 2010

This hotel gave me a deep emotion.Their service, views from a floating bungalow, fine meal and more ・・・ everything was great.I was especially satisfied with the massage at their spa.I'm sure that most of guests don't want to leave this hotel.Needless to say,i want to stay longer!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank loveearth
OC
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We just got back today from our second trip to FP (1 night in Tahiti at the Manava and 5 nights at Hilton Nui). This was our first time in Bora Bora, as we went to Moorea for our honeymoon several years ago.

I did my dutiful Tripadvisor research before we left, and we were debating between the Pearl, Hilton, and St. Regis. We stayed at the Pearl in Moorea, so we wanted to try something different although it was also very lovely and worthwhile in Moorea. St. Regis sounded like it would be a guaranteed high quality stay, but in the end, we found the Hilton package through Costco to be much more reasonable with probably somewhat comparable service and quality. Ok, perhaps St. Regis would be leaps above Hilton (with 1500 sq. ft rooms), but it wasn't a requirement for us.

I was worried that we'd get a pretty shabby boat pick up from the hotel, as some other reviewer mentioned. This was not the case. We were on a lovely two story mini-yacht type boat (I'm no seaman, so excuse the wrong terminology), that was clean and staffed with a very friendly and professional hotel greeter. He got us started with our paperwork and was cordial the entire time.

At the hotel, there was the musical greeting (ukulele and singing) as well as juice and overall very friendly personnel. No long wait, no delay, our room was ready. We hopped aboard one of many golf-cart rides to come (the resort is HUGE and you will request pick up/drop off service at some point no doubt). The reception clerk gave us a tour of our room and made us feel completely welcome.

We had a Deluxe Overwater Bungalow on the 300 peninsula (the 100s, 200s, and 300s, are all quite a distance from each other... 300s being furthest away from the hotel reception/restaurants/ etc.) The room was gorgeous. You can go to their website to see photos, so I won't go into details. However the highlights - large, separate shower. I prefer this over the tub/shower combo. Tub was also ginormous. Bathroom in general was very lush with his/her sinks, separate toilet & bidet, lots of mirrors. There were two TVs, but one was a teeny tiny grainy tv (the one connected to the dvd player). Deck was what you would expect of a bungalow, very comfortable and accessible.

Our snorkeling was very good. At first we weren't that impressed because it wasn't shallow enough to walk, or deep enough to cannonball off (something my hubby thought would be entertaining I guess???). I'd say it was about 6 ft then dropped off as you went out. But the snorkeling itself was lovely. We did have quite a few coral formations near us... and to our great delight... we spotted the Giant Moray Eel out by our room (as some other reviewers have mentioned him).

Room service was what I would expect of a Hilton. 35 minute wait, food was equivalent to the restaurant there, and the staff was very friendly in setting it up in our room. Cleaning and turn-down service was taken very seriously. One day our room didn't get cleaned because we were in and out of the room on a rainy day, so there wasn't a large chunk of time for us to be have the sign off the door. Well, I mentioned that we needed new towels to the front desk, and within a few minutes.. the Assistant Manager had personally called to apologize and had a beautiful floral arrangement set up during our turn-down for the night. I wasn't even upset!

Anyway, I thought the bed was very very comfortable, and it just had a nice lush, soft feeling ... some hotels have very stiff sheets and average beds .. if you know what I mean.

Every night we were left new bottles of water beside our beds. We had so much water we didn't even get through half... but this is a wonderful detail and touch.. if you know how much beverages add up on the islands!

Downsides of the room - Lighting was too dark, which was more irritating than difficult. Not too many minibar choices. The 300s get A LOT of wind on that peninsula. Depending on what side you are facing, this could affect your deck experience. Since it was the start of winter there, we did get rain and very gusty winds. We could feel it and hear it from our bungalow, but I know it was less dramatic down at the 100s and 200s. But, I wouldn't trade our sunset view and partial mountain view just because of the wind conditions. Again, the rooms are far. If you have any physical conditions that may affect walking, you'll need to call a golf cart. But, they send them within 5 minutes! Very efficient, no annoying wait.

As for the food. We paid for breakfast to be included in our package, which was SO SO worth it. Please do this if you aren't fond of preparing your own "in room" sandwiches and breakfast. The breakfast buffet at the Hilton is better than the one we had at Moorea Pearl and Manava Tahiti. There was an omelet bar, fresh fruit, yogurt, large assortment of bread and pastry, various proteins, basic cheese selection, but also food for the Asian taste - miso soup, rice, fish, hot veggies. For a hotel breakfast, this is pretty above par. Lunch and dinner was tasty enough, but not memorable. I'd stick with the fresh fish rather than meat .. as they are usually imported and not as well done. Again, for the quality of the food ... prices were high. If you can afford it, venture to Vaitape for a tastier meal.

Another negative is that they charge you about 15 USD pp for their evening boat to town (for the 6 and 7 pm boat). So if you are planning on doing dinner in town, add the ferry cost to your bill. From what I've read, many of the other hotels don't charge a fee for the boat in the evening.

There is a library with free WiFi that we did use on two occasions. Nice amenity if you plan on just killing time to check some email or do a little last minute trip research.

Beach Boys and all other hotel staff were super friendly and helpful. We did book the Lagoonarium trip, Jet Ski, and Beginner Scuba through the activities desk. The activities desk is a great resource, and they help book your dinner reservations/transportation.

The hotel has plenty of chairs on the beach, hammocks, special gazebos with lounge chairs, etc. We had no problem taking our pick since the resort didn't feel busy. I hear that July and August are the busy season though. You can also use their kayaks for free, and ask the beach boy (pool boy) for a free Hobie Cat ride. They offer a few activities each day (cultural lesson, tahitian cooking, how to tie your pareo to name a few). During end of June to end of July, many of the hotels don't offer their Polynesian show and buffet because the whole island is celebrating the Heiva festival. So, they will encourage you to go see the Heiva shows on Vaitape instead. We did, and we were less than impressed unfortunately.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. This is an excellent mid to high-end hotel. From what I gather, only the Four Seasons, St. Regis and Thalasso are more "luxe." I think the snorkeling will be better than the Pearl from what i've learned and accommodations are newer as well.

The only thing left is for us to plan our 3rd trip back to French Polynesia :)

Ia Orana!

4 Thank OCNoob
Blue Point, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2010

At the end of a week vacation in French Polynesia (Moorea) my wife and I got stranded by a general government strike. No international flights and the ports were closed. We decided to take a domestic flight to Bora Bora and wait out the strike. The resort is located of the main land. The staff's attention to detail was the best I have seen in any hotel I've ever visited. The rooms were spotless, food in the restaurants was absolutely delicious and the infinity pool and beach area were beautiful, clean and very relaxing. The staff couldn't have done more to make our stay pleasant, relaxing and memorable. They extended us a discounted rate due to the strike but never discounted their service. I felt like someone who was rich and famous.
A special thanks to Sakiko and Mgr. Xavier. The best of the best!