“Les than expected”

Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Bora Bora Hilton, and although the sites and the hotel staff were impeccable, I felt a few things missing to make this a great hotel.

The boat shuttle from the airport to the hotel is expensive, while the public transport by boat is free to the main island. Then there is a cheaper shuttle to the hotel. In all it takes about the same time.

There are only 2 double kayaks and zero pedal-boats.

They ran out of rosé wine!

The excursions are very very expensive, like everything else in Bora Bora. I preferred Morea by far.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ekoi
KarinePeyras, Directeur général at Conrad Bora Bora Nui, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Hilton Bora Bora for your holidays.

Despite the details your pointed out I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I thank you for sharing those comments with us.

There are newer reviews for Conrad Bora Bora Nui

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton in July 2013. We were in an overwater bungalow (in the 300's) and it was amazingly beautiful! We brought our own snorkeling equipment and were able to jump from our deck and just swim for hours every day!!!

We loved the scenery and the vibe of the resort. It was extremely quiet (which we weren't used to, but it was relaxing). They don't have entertainment people or music playing, but we brought our own ipod speakers and it worked really well.

Breakfast was included, as well as our dinners. We chose not to eat lunch because of the prices, but it worked out really well. We ate at the main grill every night because after a terrible experience at another restaurant the first night, we didn't want to waste our time. The food overall was awful. We filled up on breads/muffins/salad... because the rest was just not appetizing. The desserts however were outstanding. The drinks were really expensive. I would say bring your own and buy juices and pop at Chin Lee's in town. We went there to buy bottled water which was 6 dollars for a 6 pack--compared to the 7 dollar bottles that you buy during dinner.

We realized a few days in that the water at the restaurants was drinkable and that you didn't need to buy bottled water. We just asked for ice water. The service at meals was terribly slow, so we got used to waiting for everything! They are certainly on island time!!

Finally, I would recommend the jet skiing excursion (our highlight of the trip!) and getting a massage at the Hilton spa. They both were "must do's" for anyone who is planning on going.

Room Tip: Get an overwater bungalow in the 300's or up. They have great views, are quiet, and have amazing...
1  Thank SKKD

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for choosing the HIlton Bora Bora for your honeymoon.

I am glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay, though I am sad to read your comments which I will make sure to share with our Chef and our F&B Manager.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Unbelievable setting with awesome rooms/tiki huts. The rooms will "wow" you. Dive in the water (off your deck) and see the most amazing display of colorful fish. Staff is very nice but don't expect service to be flawless in the restaurants. Also would try to avoid windy season in July-August.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Andy S

Dear Guests,

The team and I would like to thank you for choosing the Hilton Bora Bora for your honeymoon and for sharing your comments on line.

Hoping one day you will come back to our hidden paradise.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We loved our stay at the Hilton in Bora Bora ... the corals, the bungalow, the service the food the secluded beaches and the spa. We did two massages i would not recommend the tahitian but would definitely recommend the regular 80 minute massage with the 30 minute bubble bath. This is the best place to relax and enjoy an unforgettable vacation. will come back definitely.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guests,

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

The Team and I would like to thank you for choosing the Hilton Bora Bora for your honeymoon and for sharing your comments; hoping one day we will welcome you back in our hidden paradise.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have read the conflicting reviews with interest - this hotel certainly divides opinion! I think what it comes down to is that everyone should be able to chill out on holiday, enjoy "island time" and allow for slower service. However, that does not mean that poor service is acceptable which unfortunately is something that we received several times during our stay.

My husband and I stayed here for five nights on our honeymoon in July 2013 as part of a three week trip. A large proportion of our budget for the whole trip was spent on this hotel, so of course we were hugely excited about this dream destination and our once in a lifetime opportunity to sample real luxury. And I think this is the root of the problem.

Every day something annoyed us a little - we were told that we had to book the restaurant for dinner and when we called it was full, but when we went that evening, it was half empty. We ordered a bottle of white wine that arrived warm and when we asked for a cold one we were told the only cold one left was at double the price. Twice we arrived at the agreed dinner reservation time, were told to sit and wait at the bar and were promptly forgotten about until we went back to remind them that we were still waiting. One night we were forced to pay a supplement for the Polynesian Buffet (we were on half board and were told that was the only dining option that night as the other restaurants were closed), where we spent the evening listening to covers of Coldplay and U2 (not very authentic).

Don't get me wrong - this hotel is beautiful. The location is fantastic, the rooms are wonderful, the staff are friendly. If this was a three or even four star hotel, I wouldn't feel so let down. Perhaps my expectations were too high - I'll take some of the blame. But Hilton, I still feel that if you are going to claim to be a luxury hotel you have to accept that people are paying a lot of hard earned money to experience something really special, and in our experience, I don't think you achieved this.

7  Thank Natasha K
JeanGuillaumot, General Manager at Conrad Bora Bora Nui, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Mary,

Ia Orana!

Thank you very much for your review!

We were pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa! Please be assured that we will pass on and address your comments with our team to ensure
complete satisfaction.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our Property. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you visit the Pearl of Polynesia!

Mauruuru Roa

Jean Guillaumot

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I really do not understand any of the reviews under 5 stars. We stayed at the property for 8 days in #107 royal overwater bungalow had a great location and very secluded from the other rooms definitely try to book this room.

Jackie, from custom Tahiti travel helped me with the booking made things very easy and I feel I got a great deal by looking at individual pricing of the room through Hilton.com and air Tahiti website.

Back to the 5 star rating, we only had one night where service was slow which being on an island in the middle of no where in paradise is no big deal. And the food, I was not a fan of anything at Iriati restaurant. None of these warrant any lowering of my 5 star rating. However, all of the food at Upa Upa was delicious and more to my liking. Breakfast buffet was always good.

With the snorkeling excursions I got to see all the hotels in the area which made me realize that we were staying at the best and nicest hotel in Bora Bora.

The staff was all very kind and the concierge desk made any request very easy.

If you book this hotel you will not be disappointed, I frankly am disappointed that the Hilton nui is not rated higher on trip advisor as everything was top notch.

Look into room 107, you have a hot tub and a very private
secluded location and the best view of Mt Otemanu. I had the perfect and most amazing honeymoon and could not be happier with choosing the Hilton nui.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Mahimahi1
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in Bora Bora for 5 days as the last leg of our honeymoon; we previously spent time at the Intercontinental resorts on Tahiti and Moorea. Our flight to Bora Bora was delayed, but there was a hotel staff member there to greet us at the airport with a lei. However, the Hilton had boat problems that day- from what I could understand, one of their boats was being repaired- so we had to wait about 20 minutes at the airport for the boat to come take us to the hotel.

When we got to the hotel, we were greeted by staff members and taken to the reception area. We were sat down, given damp washcloths and a shot glass filled with juice as a refreshment. I could have used more of the drink! After we completed paperwork, we were driven to our Overwater Bungalow in a golf cart. Along the way, the staff member gave us a tour of the property and discussed meal options.

We stayed in Overwater Bungalow 311 and the room was great! It was very spacious with a separate living room, bathroom and bedroom. The bathroom is huge with separate double sinks, a large tub and a walk in shower with a waterfall shower head. The bed was comfortable but I thought it was weird that the bed didn't have a flat sheet on it. Only fitted sheet and a duvet cover. The room also had a large balcony with 2 lounge chairs, a table and chairs and the ladder/dock going down to the water. Even though it was a bit windy during our stay, we loved our location because there were 2 fabulous coral reefs right below our room. We went snorkeling there everyday and saw tons of fish, rays and an octopus. Our housekeeper was amazing and after our first day, put our suitcases on stands and even folded clothes we left on the floor. She even put our shower products we left out on the counter on wash cloths. On our first day, the hotel left us a bottle of champagne and French Macaroons in our room since it was our honeymoon we enjoyed them. There was also a complimentary bottle of water in the room.

We were on the full board meal plan during our stay- meaning we got breakfast,lunch and dinner daily. My husband and I liked being on the meal plan as it was convenient and food was expensive. Plus, if we wanted to eat elsewhere, we would have had to take the ferry (for a cost) to the main island. Breakfast is a buffet. The pastries at the Hilton were amazing as well as their French toast. If you want French toast, waffles, or omelets, you have to order them, but service is quick and they are included in the buffet price. However, I was disappointed in the buffet's fruit as it didn't always seem the nicest; the pineapple usually had brown spots on it. Lunch everyday is at the Tamure grill and you get 2 courses on the meal plan- your main course and then either a starter or dessert. The food was yummy, especially the club sandwich and fish and chips. Most of the meals are big enough to share if you aren't on the meal plan. For dinner you can go to Iriati (French), Upa Upa (Polynesian) or Tamure Grill. At the first 2, you need to make reservations. We made our reservations at the front desk and it was very easy. We enjoyed all of our dinners. We were there one night for the Polynesian Buffet and show. If you are on the meal plan, there is a supplemental charge, but it is well worth it. The buffet had a huge selection of food and it was very good. We enjoyed the show too.

Beverages at the Hilton are expensive. They encourage you to drink bottled water, but they will serve you tap water if you ask. We drank tap water occasionally and felt fine. For most cocktails, you will pay 1800 xpf or 1900 xpf per drink. The hotel does offer an alcoholic drink of the day for 1000 xpf which is a great deal. They also offered buckets of beer (Hinano or another kind) for 1500 xpf.

Service at the restaurants was varied. Everyone was super friendly and always said "Ia Orana" (hello) and Maruuru (Thank you). But it sometimes took us a long time to get our meals. One lunch took almost 2 hours and dinner was usually a 2 hour affair. Sometimes the service was faster. However, we were on vacation and didn't mind. Plus, we knew about "Island time" prior to our visit and it is slower than what we are used to in the US.

One morning, my husband and I did have breakfast brought to our room by canoe. Since we had breakfast included in our meal plan, there was a supplemental charge of about $55 per person. The 2 staff members who brought the breakfast were friendly and let us get in the canoe for photo ops. The breakfast was set up on the table on our overwater bungalow's balcony. Our food was cereal, fruit, pastries and bread, yogurt, cold cuts and cheese along with juice and hot chocolate. The food was equivalent to what you could get in the buffet but the experience of eating a meal on the balcony, looking at the gorgeous view was well worth it.

The hotel does offer guests free towel service and free snorkeling gear. You can also get free kayaks and paddle boards. We took a kayak out one afternoon and went around the whole hotel. I definitely recommend kayaking near the 100s, specifically room 100-108 because you great a great view of Bora Bora. To get another good view of Bora Bora, hike up to the chapel and spa. The hotel also offered free guided Hobie Cat tours. To sign up for the tour and to get the snorkeling and towels, go to the nautical activities desk near the pool. The men working the desk were very friendly and helpful. They came around and took drink orders from guests on the beach or at the pool. You can always go to the desk and order a drink too. During the day, the desk staff came around with fresh fruit skewers for us and every day at 3:30, they brought around bite sized chocolate cake. It was delicious! Definitely spend time at the pool and try to get the large lounge chair in the pool- the view from it is amazing! The hotel also offers DVDs that you can rent and take back to your room (it has a DVD player) and there are games and a pool table and ping pong table located in the building that houses the 2 nicer restaurants. They do have an business center with computers and internet. You have to pay for WIFI in your room but can use it in the lobby.

We did a Jet ski tour and shark and ray tour while on Bora Bora but didn't book through the hotel. The reason why we didn't book through the hotel is because their prices were much more expensive. I contacted Moana Adventure Tours before our arrival and booking with them was simple and for both outings, they picked us up at the hotel. I would recommend both of these tours.

On our last day, our flight from Bora Bora didn't leave until around 6. We stayed at the hotel and got a late check out. We couldn't stay in our same room but they moved us to a beach bungalow. We paid 5000 xpf to have this room for the day. You can use a transit room for free but the hotel only gives you 30 minutes at no charge. Moving to our room was simple; a bell man came on our golf cart and took us and our luggage to the new room; he had our keys. The beach bungalow was nice to but we spent most of our last day at the pool and beach. It was nice to have to room to shower and get ready in before leaving for the airport.

We took the hotel boat back to the airport. When leaving the resort, you get a shell necklace. Overall, our visit to the HIilton in Bora Bora was very pleasant and my husband and I hope to come back one day. It was a perfect, and beautiful setting for a wonderful honeymoon.

Room Tip: The 300s definitely have more privacy. Yes, you do have a further walk to get to the pool/beach and...
4  Thank Gabrielle G