“The best place to stay in Bora Bora”

Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
San Diego, California
“The best place to stay in Bora Bora”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was our second time back to Bora Bora, but first time staying at the Hilton Bora Bora, and I must admit that I'm constantly looking for a way to get back to the island and to this hotel. My husband and I looked at all the hotels while we were in Bora Bora and nothing compared as well to the Hilton Nui Resort. We had an over the water bungalow but any and all bungalows have their charm. The marine life surrounding the hotel is fabulous- you don't need to go any further than the shores. The hotel staff was awesome! And the rooms excellent, especially the bathroom (women, you'll understand once you see these spectacular rooms).

Room Tip: Get the room facing the back towards the island. The view is awesome!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Healthgirl_SD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our Anniversary here. We stayed in an deluxe owb (327) and the room/location was perfect. I really don't understand why anyone would have anything to complain about. The staff was amazing. Everyone always greeted us with a smile. They even sent us a gift with a lovely note when we allowed a staff member to go under our bungalow to retrieve a sandal that one of the guest dropped in the water. Now that is definitely going over and beyond their duties. Breakfast buffet was great. Lunch by the pool was quick and efficient. Dinner was perfect! My husband is already planning our next trip there. I really can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stact
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Maybe the best way to review this resort is to provide pros and cons and then tips at the end.

Pros:

1. Staff service was really good. Considering that there was always a communication barrier, the staff was friendly and attentive.
2. The resort was beautiful and nicely landscaped!! They did a great job keeping the grounds tidy and clean.
3. The rooms (at least our room) were well maintained and clean. The bathroom was spacious, and the bed and pillows were so comfortable.
4. They had (free to use) dvds, snorkeling equipment (see tip #6), kayaks, stand-up paddle, hobbie cat, paddle boats.

Cons:

1. Excursions were expensive!
2. Food was expensive. I asked for water and should have specified tap water, but instead, got a $7 Evian bottled water.
3. Extra charges - supplementaries. This was confusing because we never really understood what we were being charged at the end of our meal. (see tip #1)
4. We felt we were nickeled and dimed for things. (ex. $6 for an instant coffee after having paid $300 for a dinner we were hijacked into - see tip #5)
5. Instant coffee and bad coffee creamer in the bungalows. We would have expected "5-star" amenities.

Tips:

1. Keep a record of your purchases and reconcile your bill. We were charged a breakfast when it should have been complimentary with our Hilton Honors status.
2. If you want to save money, take the FREE Air Tahiti boat from the airport to town (Vaitape), then catch the Hilton boat from Vaitape to the resort (about $3-4 US one way) - pick up and drop off is all in the same area so it's really convenient. Hilton's boats run every hour and you can always walk around the shops nearby until the boat arrives. Otherwise, you would pay around $90-100 US (round trip) if Hilton picks you up at the airport. You can do the same going back to the airport (Hilton boat into Vaitape then Air Tahiti boat to airport - just note the Air Tahiti boat departure time and get there a bit early. We were told Air Tahiti boat departed at 5:40pm and just happened to get there early and people were boarding. And the boat left well before 5:40pm!!
3. Go to Chin Lee's grocery when you're in Vaitape (walking distance from boat pick-up/drop-off area) and pick up basic necessities, snacks, and water as it is more expensive on the resort.
4. Bring your own wine/spirits if you have room in your luggage.
5. If you're not interested in the buffet dinner/Polynesian show that Hilton puts on once a week (Tuesday night when we were there), then make plans to go into town for dinner (though boat rides are more expensive at night). All the restaurants are closed at the resort and your only option for dinner is the buffet and show - around $300 US per couple!
6. If you plan to do a lot of snorkeling, then bring our own mask.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BKZED
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I would like to start by thanking all the Hilton Bora Bora staff who were absolutely wonderful to deal with.

We had alittle issue with the airlines on the way which made the beginning of our trip alittle stressful however as soon as we landing on the island of Bora Bora my face lit up. Walking trough the airport we were approached by the Hitlon staff we welcomed us and assisted us with out luggage. We had a beautiful boat trip to the resort and were welcomed with singing and a refreshing drink and face towel.

The bungalows were amazing and we even upgraded to the overwater bungalows for a few nights.The food was great with lots of variety and the service was always frendly.

The Hilton staff were fantastic and really made the trip so much more relaxing. Our stay with the Hilton Bora Bora was an absolute pleasure and I would go back in a heart beat.

To the Hilton staff we greatly appreciate your hotel, service and for making our stay so wonderful......Thank you

Room Tip: For a great view stay in the hillside bungalows. All the rooms are fantastic it just depends what vi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank David D
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed in the overwater deluxe bungalow (room 323) with a sunset view. Service was fantastic. The hotel would drive us to our bungalow in a golf cart so our 2 year didn't have to walk. The room was very well equipped in side. Snorkeling off the back of the bungalow was amazing. Very private. Would like to see the hotel not charge for the hotel shuttle to the airport and just include it in the rate. The concierge was so accomodating and helpful. Didn't try the Spa, but it looked nice. The Hilton also seemed to have the most frequent shuttles (hourly) and was the quickest to get to Vaitape.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Melanie S
Pomona, California, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My experience was last August and we stayed in an Over Water Bungalow.. don't waste your time with the land dwellers!! We did a package deal with Costco that included Tahiti and Moorea.

Pros
Great View, awesome staff, good food. Kayaks were great, snorkels were great.. we kept ours on our dock so we could venture out whenever we wanted. The ferry to the main island is great, use it wisley.

Cons
they charge you 35 bucks American to fill up the mini fridge with your own items. The main "nicer" reservation only restaurant staff is very rude, everyone else was a dream.... Everything is pricy!!!

TIPS
DO NOT BUY THE MEALS WITH THE BOOKING! We were charged extra at the big tahitian bbq and at the main restaurant. THe bbq nights it is a great spread, but if you wanted something else, you were out of luck because that is the only thing open

OVERALL
Awesome, other than a few blurps that made me give 4 instead of 5 stars

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joel M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Bora Bora in mid-August and while we made the best of our stay, based on our experiences there I absolutely would not recommend this resort. Regardless, we had an amazing honeymoon.
1) We took the free airport shuttle to Vaitape and then the 750 XPF shuttle to Hilton BB. Hilton took our bags for us at the airport so we didn’t have to lug them around. One note – we arrived in Bora Bora on a Sunday hoping to kill the hour or so walking around town but the town is absolutely dead on Sundays. It was almost a little scary but we were never given any trouble. We walked into a pearl shop with a person standing outside and it turns out they were actually closed, but one of the shop workers kindly drove us to a Tex Mex restaurant fairly close by – probably a 10-minute walk from the Hilton shuttle stop. Of course, we were not prepared for island time so we ended up having to take our food to go in order to make it back in time for the shuttle. Check-in was fabulous and personal. Our check-in person showed us every little feature of our room which was nice. She said if you call the front desk and let them know, you can take everything out of the mini-fridge and put in your own things. We did this and called the front desk but we were still charged for everything when we got our bill. They took it off no questions asked.
2) We requested deluxe overwater villas #109 and #106 10 months before our arrival and reminded them of our request a week before arrival. We were not granted our request. We weren’t even given anything close-by. Instead we ended up in 333. We were spoiled with an amazing mountain view in Moorea and really wanted that in Bora Bora. 333 has a wonderful sunset view, but there’s really nothing to look at except water. There are positives and negatives to both. The snorkeling in the 300s is the best, in my opinion. It is EXTREMELY shallow in the 100s – I felt like I had to suck in my stomach to make sure I didn’t scrape myself on any coral. The 300s are deeper and protected from choppy waves that affect the rest of the overwater bungalows on windy days. There were 2 of the 5 days where the 100s and 200s looked very choppy and very dangerous but the 300s were perfectly calm. None of the 300s are very private, I could see everyone if I wanted to. To me, the 200s would be the worst – they are not direct sunrise or sunset view and not protected from choppy water on windy days. 100s have the best view but maybe not as great of snorkeling and are subject to wind and choppy water.
3) The property itself is absolutely, positively beautiful and pristine. Everything you could ever imagine and hope for. The resort is very large and most of the time you’ll probably want to call a golf cart to get where you need to be. No place to hike or anything, but plenty of beach and water. There are free cooking classes and cocktail making classes. We went to the cooking class – watched someone make some sort of ceviche. It was fun enough for the 30 minutes it took and you got free food at the end. We signed up for the cocktail class but totally forgot but really wish we would have gone.
4) Service. Here is where things got to the point that I would not recommend this resort to anyone. Where to even begin…A) We ate at Iriatai the second night. I had heard how slow the service is but you REALLY don’t understand how slow it is until you get there. I thought it would be fine because I would be with my husband and we could enjoy each other’s company but the service was REALLY REALLY SLOW. We just got entrees and dessert and it took two hours. It was painful. The food was plated really well and was pretty good, but I would say skip it. They were also “totally booked” the night we ate there and it was easy to see there at least 30% of the tables were open. Now, since service was so slow already I’m glad that those tables weren’t filled but they have an interesting interpretation of completely booked. Maybe it’s because they want the restaurant to seem exclusive? I don’t know. B) The resort booked us a hiking tour and the guy didn’t show up. We waited for him for an hour, and the resort did end up finding us something else to do on a whim and did make the hiking tour guide give us a free hike the next day..so ultimately they fixed the problem but it happened and it sucked that we wasted our time. Be careful if you book a hiking tour as we hear the guide is totally unreliable – this wasn’t the first mishap on his part. C) This is the worst. The hotel boat shuttle didn’t come. We arrived on time and there were already 6 other people waiting. It was chilly and windy. There’s a red phone to call the resort and after being 5 minutes late we called and the resort said they were sending someone. Called again 10 minutes later – said it was on its way. Called again 10 minutes later – said they were coming. You get the point. The resort just ended up coming at the next scheduled shuttle time, an hour later. Seriously no excuse for this – especially for lying to us and telling us they were coming. They left 8 guests on the dock, freezing from the wind, and lied to us. At least we could have gone into town if they had told us the truth – that they weren’t coming for another hour. At a hotel that’s $1,000 a night this is totally unacceptable. We were absolutely livid – which is not a feeling you want to have on vacation/honeymoon. Then, when the shuttle finally arrived at 6:30 – we asked if we were going to have time to get to our room and change before the 7 oclock shuttle – the guy hustled us on board and said, of course! We’ll get you back to the resort by 6:45. It was funny, really because everyone knows it takes 20 minutes round trip to get to and from your room since everything is so far away. So we hopped off and went to dinner at St. James (fabulous restaurant, highly recommend) in our hiking clothes. They were very kind and didn’t kick us out 
5) Side note – do not book the meal plan. Almost everything had a supplementary cost so you’re really not getting meals included. Also, the restaurants in town were so much better and much more fun. There is no night life to speak of in FP so a trip to town in the evening is a welcomed activity.
6) Spa. We got the Nehe package which ran us a cool $1k. When spending that much at the spa, much is expected. Everything was fine, but fine isn’t good enough. I would not recommend. Our massage therapists were very light on the massage – I even asked for more pressure and nothing. Not worth it.
7) Check-out. The icing on the cake. We paid our bill and the woman forgot to charge us for the shuttle so we had to make two payments. Fine, whatever. Then we get on the boat and some guy comes running out demanding to speak to my husband then announces to the whole boat that we ordered room service and didn’t pay for it. First of all, this is their problem for not charging us. It’s not like we could have lied about what room we were in – it’s room service after all. Secondly, the room service comes from Tamure and we ate there for lunch just about every single day. We looked and saw a charge around the price of the room service we had ordered that day and thought it was fine. I don’t think it’s our responsibility as guests to memorize each charge that we make – if they want money from us it’s their job to charge us! And the guy acted like we were running away from the room service charge but they have all of our credit card info holding the reservation and the ability to charge us for it so I don’t understand his reaction. It was somewhat humiliating, but mostly just aggravating.

So we had an amazing honeymoon, but it was no thanks to the service provided by the Hilton BB. Everything everyone before us about the resort being so beautiful is true! I focused on the new information I had to offer here. My recommendation would be to book at a true 5-star resort if you have the extra cash. If not, I heard the service at the intercontinental was somewhat similar – so if you’re booking at the second rung resorts, just be prepared for less than perfect service and don’t let it ruin your trip! We didn’t let it ruin ours but just want to let people know that the high cost doesn’t equate to great service.

Room Tip: 100s have good view but very shallow and subject to choppy water, 200s would be worst in my opinion...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple