“Beautiful & romantic escape”

Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Arlington, Virginia
“Beautiful & romantic escape”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We celebrated our engagement at this gorgeous resort. It rained throughout most of our trip, but we had an amazing time nonetheless. The beauty of the resort and surrounding islands cannot be overstated. The water is shades of blue we've never seen! The resort is large but quiet and feels extremely private. Perfect for honeymoons or other romantic trips! We received outstanding customer service and felt special throughout our stay, though it is worth noting that we hold Hilton Diamond status. Bora Bora is a world-class destination worth the splurge.

Our Room: We had an overwater bungalow (room 326), which was very private and had sunset views and shallow water for snorkeling. The bungalows are very large and beautiful, with several viewing panels in the floor. Each overwater bungalow has its own deck and overwater dock for direct snorkeling/swimming access. Note: Bungalow 326 and those around it are a fairly long walk from reception, but the resort will send a golf cart to pick you up.

The Resort: Completely secluded, has outstanding amenities (two restaurants, bar, gym, spa, etc.), a beautiful infinity pool, and offers recreational equipment (snorkeling gear, paddle boats, sail boats, etc.) free of charge. Everything is very well maintained -- clean and pristine, gorgeous grounds. We were surprised by the size of the resort -- it is not exactly a small boutique hotel. But we found the resort and service very quiet and personal.

Customer Service: Our greeting at reception was lovely and personal -- the hotel staff knew who we were and had our paperwork ready to go upon arrival (no waiting). Our bags were already in our room when we arrived (see below). One of our bags went missing at the Bora Bora airport, but the hotel tracked it down for us and delivered it to our room on the evening of our arrival. The activities desk was great -- they booked our lagoon tour and SCUBA diving, and made dinner reservations for us in town. Top notch all around.

A few cost saving tips (for those interested) -- everything in Bora Bora is quite pricey:

Transportation: We opted to take the free local boat from the airport to town, then the free Hilton shuttle boat from town to the resort (rather than the Hilton shuttle from the airport directly to the resort). This was VERY easy and cost-effective. The Hilton airport reps took our bags and had them waiting in our room when we arrived. They also provided a city map and directions to the Hilton shuttle. The airport shuttle drops you at the main city dock; the Hilton shuttle leaves just a few blocks away. There is also a supermarket near both docks where you can stock up on water, drinks (including alcohol/wine), and snacks.

Food: As with most resorts, the Hilton food is quiet expensive. The buffet breakfast is great (and complimentary with Diamond status). We ate dinner in the less formal restaurant our first night -- the service and food were very good. We also had a nice lunch delivered from the less formal restaurant to the beach on our final day. We recommend stocking up on water and other treats in town (see above) to save money.

Activities: We highly recommend taking a lagoon tour. We booked through the hotel -- it is more expensive than booking yourself, but they picked us up and dropped us off at the resort (it's a personal call whether that is worth the extra expense). Our guide was excellent; we had a fantastic time snorkeling and swimming with the sting rays and reef sharks. SCUBA diving is nice with outstanding visibility. We saw spotted rays, eagle rays, sharks, etc. But we've had better dives in other countries (not a must-do).

Room Tip: A resort room map is available on Google Images
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank aws_cmk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We stayed for a week in an overwater bungalow - what a heavenly experience. The customer service level and accomodations were superb from start to finish. We communicated in advance with a very helpful guest relations manager, Amelie, to pick out the perfect bungalow location. We had a wonderful time snorkeling and watching the sunset from our deck. Breakfast (like the wireless internet, complimentary for HH Diamonds/Golds) was an abundant buffet affair, and we were too full to eat lunch on most days. Evening happy hour is a comparatively great bargain ($7 for a drink instead of $15 - it's just an extremely expensive part of the world), and I found good options at the more casual restaurant for dinner - I loved their pizzas! (We didn't try the fancier French restaurant so can't comment on that). We enjoyed the free use of the snorkel gear, kayaks, and paddleboats, and also booked a 30-45 minute sail on the Hobie Cat out to the reef (free but have to reserve in advance). Housekeeping and maintenance staff were very kind, prompt, and courteous - the maintenance staff even took their shoes off before entering! The hotel's gym is small but good (it was never crowded), and is located on a hill above the resort along with the spa. We booked a 1-hour massage: heavenly view and ambience, but not a very firm massage but still a good experience. The pool is wonderful, the beach is pristine, and the hammocks between the trees are a nice touch - I spent a lot of time just lazing about in them! We only paid for one excursion - a hike on the main island. It was led by a local archaeologist/botanist that showed us a preserved local temple that he helped discover and we picked wild mangoes (best mango I've ever eaten) - it wasn't as much of a hike as we had hoped for, but interesting if you like archaeology/botany. The panoramic view at the end was breathtaking, but in hindsight I think one of the water-based activities would have been more relaxing and rewarding. Excursions booked through the hotel are not materially more expensive than those booked in town, from what I could gather. We went to the grocery (Chin Lee) in Vaitape (free ferry boat from the Hilton during the day, but there is a charge at night) to stock up on wine and picnic supplies for lunch/sunset snacks. Expect to pay 2-3 times as much for groceries vs. what you pay at home. Ate dinner at Bloody Mary's - definitely worth the experience (you'll need to get a taxi in Vaitape to get there). It was a heavenly week, and I'm already making plans to go back. If you have Hilton HHonors points or status, there is no better place to enjoy them than here.

Room Tip: Sunset-facing overwater villas are sublime!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jeopardytex
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We stayed at the Bora Bora Nui resort during one part of our honeymoon extravaganza trip. I was hesitant at first to book this as one of our destinations. First, I rarely visit a beach locale; I'm more of a historic/cultural type of traveler. But my husband put his foot down and I figured this would fulfill my part of "compromising in a marriage" requirement.

And, did I ever put my foot in my mouth! Bora Bora is exquisite. Truly beautiful, shockingly breathtaking, magical, romantic, French, intimate and private.

We arrived on a small plane. The Bora Bora airport consists of a small island and the baggage claim is a floating dock. Just minutes from landing, the Bora Bora Nui yacht was waiting for us and had our baggage already on board. We were personally greeted by a representative, boarded the yacht, served a fruity drink and given flowers. This was the point I started to fall in love with the Bora Bora Nui.

After a 20 minute ride, we approached the resort. UNBELIEVABLE. I have traveled all over the world, far and wide, and this was the first time my mouth actually dropped from viewing an international locale. I am pretty sure my husband nearly fainted. The "lobby" is a floating dock ... yep, over the water, with glass floors so one can view the beautiful fish while checking in. We were once again greeted by staff, this time with a full band, drinks and more flowers. They knew who we were, called us by name, before we even had a chance to introduce ourselves. I was in newlywed awe.

Quickly, we were escorted onto a luxury golf cart, where a staff member drove us to our overwater hut. We booked the king royal overwater villa and from the photos it looked beautiful, but when we arrived to our room for the week, we were utterly speechless. Like children in a candy store, we ran into each room, shrieking with delight and jumping up and down. Yes, we actually jumped up and down whilst holding hands, embarrassed as the driver was still with us.

The room was, well, I can't even describe its beauty. The rooms were very large, the bed was huge, the marble bathroom was the size of our old kitchen, and the deck, well, the deck was tremendously beautiful. Every room inside our "hut" had a window down to the ocean ... even the bathtub had a looking glass down. (Since the water is so clear, you can see a plenitude of tropical fish constantly swimming by.) I quickly noticed some welcome gifts were left: a bottle of champagne (France's finest), chocolate covered strawberries, local scones, Evian water and even ... a Tahitian pearl, listed worth at $500 US dollars. Awe, complete awe.

The entire stay at the Bora Bora Nui was just like the first moment. We spent most of our days there sitting on our deck, sipping on French Polynesian drinks and feeding the fish. We would occasionally snorkel, diving into the 78 degree water with tropical fish swimming all around. Or, we would nap .. the privacy of our hut was incredible. We felt like we were alone, on our own private island. Some days we would take the complimentary boat into town and pick up french specialties one cannot find in the States to bring back to nosh on while watching the sunset on our deck. Each night, we would call for a pick up, and a staff member would drive us to one of the resort's restaurants - all with five star culinary quality, or, we would call in room service and share an intimate dinner on our deck while watching shooting stars dash quickly into the night.

One of the nights, we celebrated our recent marriage with a special, private dinner on the beach. Picked up and driven to the destination: candles were lit in a path towards a beautiful hut on the sand. We were served a 5 course meal, champagne, wine, and even had our own private waiter and music. The entire experience was pure magic. It will never be forgotten.

Some days were spent kayaking, other days spent lounging in one of the resort's many hammocks or playing with the tropical fish, all eager to play along with the game. It was a state of relaxation I had not ever felt in my life and I truly recommend this resort to anyone visiting beautiful Bora Bora who craves a state of pure, beautiful bliss.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
23 Thank BKFWaldman
California
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Our stay at the Hilton Bora Bora was beautiful. We had an overwater suite with sunset views. The accomodations were spacious and the views were incredible.
Bora Bora is a picture perfect place and every photo will look like a screen saver.
A special thanks to Amelie for all her help with my pre-reservation requests and concerns.
The Hilton property has an amazing location and team and I would absolutely recommend them.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaboSeaHorse
Babylon, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2011

The most beautiful resort we have ever had the privilege of vacationing at. The staff was excellent, amenities top notch, and the property was breathtaking. We love to swim. Tons of fish, some reef sharks, a few sting rays, we even had a Manta Ray swim with us as it passed by the resort. Of course I was charging my underwater camera when I ran into that monster.

Almost perfect....then the Kardashian's arrived and the place. At first it was kind of cool they were there. However the film crew had no class. They were crude, obnoxious and annoying. They interrupted my breakfast to have us sign legal papers in French. As the Kardashians were yelling at each other. Told people they couldn't take pictures and to erase the ones they took. Screaming at other crew they were going "to kill them". Told me to be quiet at the bar because they were filming. Yell at me while kayaking that I had to sign a waiver and they would follow me to the dock. I went out to dinner (even with a meal plan) to avoid this crap. While sitting at the pool they came over and blocked our sun so they could film (see pictures). Staff wouldn't talk back to them. Management was clueless. The last two days of my honeymoon tainted everything that was so great about this place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank kent11561
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Very good location. Great staff. Ok the room price is expensive, however everything is pricy in French Polynesia. This is one the best spot / hotel we have done there and it says a lot as we are big travellers. We have been already 4 times in French Polynesia and in many other places in the world. We went with our teen boys and the hotel gave us a room upgrade (over water bungaow) while we booked a beach bungalow. The only disapointment was the quality of the food (compared to the hotel status) in the beach restaurant. However, there is also a higher end restaurant that we did not try. So overall, great hotel and we will return next year...

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Emmanuel6666
Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 29, 2011

This hotel has the friendliest staff I have ever experienced. Each member wanted to make sure our stay was perfect. The hotel has a great location - it's the only one that looks out into the ocean rather than the lagoon. I would definitely rebook with Hilton.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get a bungalow
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple