“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Osaka, Japan
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

Admittedly we only stayed here and the Sofitel Marara, Bora Bora, but the Le Meridian was amazing!! Sofitel.......not so much! The staff at the Sofitel could have been friendlier but at the Le Meridian they were amazing in every way!!
It was our Honeymoon and it was the perfect way to end our trip!! We chose to spend a few days at the Sofitel Marara on the main island of Bora Bora so we could do some shopping and explore the main island and this was a good choice. Once you're on the Motu where Le Meridian is, you have to catch a boat to the main island which is about $27US Rtn PP. Not too bad, but if you want to go shopping for the day, then go back for dinner at night, it can add up!
I would recommend the Le Meridian to anyone and we will definitely be back ourselves!!

Room Tip: Get the Lagoon View or Ocean View Overwater Bungalow.
1 Thank Damien D
cecile l, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Ia ora na Damien,

We would like to thank you for the great review and for choosing Le Méridien Bora Bora as your honeymoon destination.
We are glad to read that you made it to our resort as the last part of your trip and hopefully we will welcome you back soon.

Sunniest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

We stayed here after 5 days in the Hilton Moorea.
The Hotel is located on a motu facing the Otemanu mountain... perhaps the best location in all Bora-Bora.
The staff is not as friendly as in Moorea and they are not very helpfull. We tried to change OWB and they din't made an effort. The pickup hour to the airport was also an issue difficult to solve.
Nevertheless, the Hotel food is very good (à la carte style except for 2 theme nights) and I would definitely recommend half pension or full board as it can get very expensive.
Water activities (stand up paddling, kayaks, snorkeling equipment and sail boat) are free.
The OWBs are excelent, they have a fantastic glass floor but are founded on deep water (more than 2 m deep).
Incredibly, the Hotel has no free wifi (only paying heavily)... there are only 3 computers to use for free with very slow internet service
And the beach... perhaps one the most wonderfull beaches I've ever been.

Room Tip: Make an effort to stay on the 302, 304, 306 OWBs... they are simply the best: near the beach and wit...
      Rooms
1 Thank Nelson S
Dear Guests, Ia ora na,

Thank you for sharing your opinion from your recent stay at Le Méridien Bora Bora.
We are glad that overall you have enjoyed our resort , facilities and had a good experience at our restaurants.
We regret however we were not able to suit your requirement regarding your bungalow and are sorry to read it seems that it was not handled properly by our team.
We hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you again and fully meet your expectations on that occasion.

Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2014

I just returned from spending 9 nights at Le Meridien Bora Bora. It was a wonderful holiday.

Firstly, the hotel has a beautiful location. The water in the lagoon is so clear and you can see fish and sting rays continually. If you want to see tons of fish and other marine life, you need to go to the coral gardens. Lots of ways to do that.

My bungalow, 202, was lovely. A great view of Mt. Otemanu and everything was perfect. I miss it already!

The hotel has a good fitness centre with bikes, rowing machines, treadmills and a universal gym. There are towels and water available in the gym also.

The food was good. I read some reports about the food not being good but I only had good experiences. Patricia made me some nice burgers! I would get a package that included breakfast. It is expensive and coming from Canada, even more expensive with our low dollar. However, you have to take into account that most everything has to be flown in and you have pay the staff and all the other costs. You just have to be prepared you are going to pay more here, no use coming here and whining about it all the time. If you can't afford it, then go to an all inclusive in Mexico or the Caribbean.

I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. From the ground staff, to housekeepers, reception, beach hut, activities desk and servers and cooks in the restaurants. They all greeted you and made you feel welcome. Some people said they didn't experience that but I also noticed that some guests were very aloof. So you get back what you give you out. If you are going to walk around with your nose stuck up in the air, people may not be inclined to greet you. But I didn't experience this at all.

Of course there were some staff that were simply outstanding. From the reception desk, Havai, Noella and Tabitha. They were so friendly and helpful. I always enjoyed seeing Jean Marie and Gaelle at breakfast time. They really worked hard and welcomed everyone to the restaurant. I had the best omelettes made by Heironi and Patrick and they were always so cheerful and welcoming. Really lovely people, they all made my trip that much more special.

An excellent hotel with and beautiful location and excellent staff. I would love to go back one day.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
cecile l, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Brian , Ia ora na!

Maururu roa, thank you very much for your great and comprehensive review of your recent stay at Le Méridien Bora Bora. Your kind words will be shared with our team and especially the ones mentionned. It was a real pleasure to be at your service and we are glad you had a great experience interacting with our friendly staff.

We would be more than happy to welcome you again and on that occasion, please do not hesitate to let us know at contact@lemeridien-borabora.com.

My sunniest regards,

Cécile
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

This is one of the older over water resorts, but the bungalows were updated and very well laid out. Because it was one of the first, it has one of the best situations on this side of the island - good sun exposure and views of Otemanu Mountain. Pro's: reasonable rates; great location; bungalows,with glass floor, while small are very well laid out; Con's: limited restaurant choices, expensive, and ok, not great, food. I recommend going into town and getting some of your food at the local market and mixing up it up with some of the dinners in town; e.g Matira Beach Restaurant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank G C
cecile l, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Guest, Ia Orana,

We are grateful for your feedback form your recent experience at Le Méridien Bora Bora Resort and we are glad you have enjoyed our resort and bungalows.
We truly look forward to seeing you again and send you some Bora Bora sunny regards.
Norcross, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

This is a tremendous resort. The private bungalows on stilts out over the water are like something out of a movie. We loved the private balcony with stairs down into the water, and the glass bottom in the villa living room so we could see fish swimming beneath the room. The staff is excellent, the water amazing and the excursions perfect. Make sure you go swimming with sharks and rays.

Room Tip: definitely go for one of the over-water bungalows
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatsuJK
cecile l, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Ia ora na Adam,

Thank you for reviewing Le Méridien Bora Bora so nicely . It is a pleasure to read you had a great time with us and we would love to welcome you back in our small paradise.

Sunny regards ,
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

We just got back from an Anniversary trip to Bora Bora and Rangiroa and it was just as spectacular as we remembered 11 years ago. Bora Bora hasn't changed much but there are more hotels, especially on the motu around the Le Meridien.
So lets start off with the Hotel. We really enjoyed this hotel and the only thing we had to compare it to was the Intercontinental Moana on the main island. I thought the view of the mountain and the location of the Le Meridien were great and some of the best in Bora Bora. The Hotel was very nice and very clean. It was also pretty big by Bora Bora standards, there were over 200 people while we were there but it never felt crowded. This hotel is very European as expected with the brand. I would say there were less than 5% US at the hotel, almost all French and Italian. We did ask others from St. Regis and Four Seasons that we met scuba diving and they said their resorts were almost all Americans. We enjoyed this it just made for very little chit chat with other guests.
We stayed in an over the water bungalow out on the point facing the inside of the resort. We loved our room and for the level of over the water bungalow we were in I figured we got extremely lucky. I loved the room as the floor has two large glass panels that let you see the water below. It has a nice balcony but it wasn't as big as some others. We did get some sun on our balcony for some of the day but I would of loved a larger balcony that got more sun and had more space. We had WiFi in the room that was really pretty good. We were able to facetime with the kids back home which was nice. Bonus was Wifi was free because we were starwood gold members. Beds and bathrooms were great and I was very happy with our room.
The reason we chose Le Meridien over the other hotels was that we were able to get the SPG cash and points stay. It cost 275 a night and 15000 points a night, quite a deal and it saved me a lot of money. The service was very good but not to the level of its neighbors like the Four Seasons and St. Regis.
The food was very hit or miss in our opinion. They have 2 restaurants and a pool bar. The pool bar has 4 sandwiches and fries, that is it, it was OK at best but very convenient. The nice restaurant was very good. This is where the breakfast buffet is and it is pretty good. We had dinner here once and it was very good with good service. The other restaurant we thought was not good at all. We had a couple average meals, one good meal, and some very bad meals. We stopped going to it after eating dinner their and our fish was horrible and the risotto was not even done. Luckily because of this bad experience we started getting room service which was extremely good and less expensive that some of the other restaurants. We ordered Dinner and breakfast via room service and it was great. Room service always came hot and within 30 minutes of ordering. I believe that the food options need to be improved if they are going to keep you at the resort like they do due to boat schedules ect.
This leads me into the most disappointing part of our stay, the taxi back and forth to the mainland. We stayed on the main island last trip so it was very easy to go out to eat every night at one of the local restaurants, the exact opposite here. First off they have 3 scheduled times to go to town, morning , noonish, and night. We wanted to go eat at the local restaurants so we did the 6:30 pm shuttle which returns at 9:45pm. It is dark when the boat takes you so there is nothing really to look at and on the return it is so late that almost all of the boat is asleep. It seems like the other hotels shuttles go earlier as the Le Meridien boat was always the last one left at the end of the night. Not only is this schedule not very convenient they charge you 50 plus bucks per couple to take it. I don''t know for sure but I think the Four Seasons and St. Regis don't even charge you (according to scuba divers on our boat). We love eating at local restaurants and this caused us to not be able to do it, it just wasn't worth the money and more importantly 30 minute ride and late night (yes we are getting older and never got used to the time change). My wife said that she would not stay off of the main island again for this fact alone. I would like to know how the other hotels deal with this issue and hopefully it is better than what we experienced.
The beach was great and the there was a lot more activity that what I expected. They even had DJ at the pool on Saturday. There was a group of French guests that really enjoyed the nightclub atmosphere. They had 2 pools but only one was used very much. They were very nice infinity edge pools and had a great view of the main island. Most people used the beach and they had a lot of activities for free such as paddle board and kayaks.
All in all we had a great stay here and it is what I expected the class of the hotel to be. It is hard not to be happy while in Bora Bora, it is just an amazing place. I'm giving it a 4 star as I am comparing it to the other hotels on the island and I feel that it is just a notch below the other top tier hotels. This is a great hotel and anyone would love to stay here, especially on their first trip to Bora Bora

3 Thank mdr9
cecile l, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Guests, Ia ora na!

First of all we would like to thank you for your kind and helpful review and thank you for choosing Le Méridien Bora Bora as your Anniversary 's destination.
It is a delight to read you had a great time at our resort and sharing your positive experience with futures travellers is always very meaningful to us.
Your disappointment regarding food options and transportation to the main island will be shared with our managers and defintely gives us a guideline on the points we are not always meeting our guests ' expectations.
We do hope you will give us the pleasure to welcome you again and on that occasion , feel free to let us know .

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

We decided to inform ourselves on how much it would cost to do a shark/ray visit and were quoted a price that was 3x what non-hotel tour operators were charging (that we found from calling up a few that were listed in a tour book that we had purchased in the states). The hotel told us that the other tour operators were not permitted to dock at the hotel's dock and that the only option was to pay the hotel a $25 fee per person to go to the island, get a taxi to a dock on the island where the tour operators were allowed. After sitting at the hotel's dock for a few hours one morning, I saw not less than 6 different tour operators dock at the hotel's dock. So, I talked to one of them and was able to pay cash and go do the shark/fay, coral snorkeling I wanted to do for 1/3 the price quoted by the hotel. In my opinion, the hotel was outright fraudulent about this. Also, some tour books (and some people on the island of Bora Bora) said there was a dock that did free transfers to the hotels (instead of paying the $25). However, it seems that it is on the same boat as the official hotel's boat - confusing right? We would have tried it out one day - of paying to go the island then taxi to the free dock and see if it was true to use another day, but we did not have that much time. I walked into a hotel and asked if this story was true, a front desk person in training at the intercontinental at bora bora said it was true and was interrupted by a higher up that said she didn't know what she was talking about. So, I called the Bora Bora tourist bureau, who gave me the same no free boat story as the hotels. You decide. Anyway, the lunch at the Meridien, if you do it at the bar, has awful paninis. It was 10 times worse than a sandwich from McDonalds, the chef should resign over it! You are better off doing room service even though they charge you $15 more for it. Also, be careful ordering bottled water (tap water, even that used for hot chocolates has a chlorine taste) is sold to you as the most expensive bottle, always ask to see a menu first!! (We were not offered a menu since it was "unnecessary since the dinner is a buffet". The water in the plastic tall bottle is just fine and much less expensive. Although the tour operator at the hotel said that the top restaurants were just as expensive as at the hotel - that is not true. Try to do as many of your meals on the Bora Bora island. BTW, we went during the festival and there were stands selling ham sandwiches (much better tasting than the ones at the hotel) for only $3. There is also a good patisserie on the Bora Bora island where the hotel boats dock: go up to the main road from the dock, turn left and it is at the back end (shaped like an L with the short side of the L furthest back from the road) of the first small shopping strip. It is also true that the one natural beach of Mora Mora is very nice, great for kids and practically devoid of people during the weekday. Back to the hotel, check your bill the day before you leave to shorten the amount of time you will have to argue about it the day you leave. There were charges that we had not made and did not have the time to argue about them to avoid missing our plane (the desk said that they controlled the leaving of the boat so there are no worries, but we barely made the plane and did not get all the charges addressed - however, we did get the rest of the billing resolved through e-mails). Also, it is cheaper ordering a la carte for breakfast and getting it through room service (big portions) than going to the buffet. The pizza at the evening bar was ok, but the music was very loud. We originally came for the turtles since we had kids with us. You have to book the swimming with the turtles weeks in advance (we did not know and our 2 tour books made is sound like it was unnecessary. Also, after hearing how people's natural oils and sunscreen can make these turtles sicker than they already are - it was probably a good thing that we did not swim with them. The instruction at 10 am about the turtles is wonderful. Don't worry, you will have a $10 donation added to your bill without your consultation. We decided to let it slide.

Room Tip: Although getting a hut over the water is all the rage. These rooms seemed cramped at this hotel. T...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 732Nat
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to giving us some feedback from you recent stay with us and we are sorry to read that you were disappointed on several areas, and were confused with some mixed information regarding activities.
Would like to review this with us at your convenience, please feel free to contact us at contact @lemeridien-bora bora.com.