“Perfect Dream Honeymoon!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Sacramento, California
“Perfect Dream Honeymoon!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I have been meaning to get to this review for some time now. My husband and I visited Le Meridien in May of 2013 for our honeymoon. We spent a week in an over water bungalow and It was an experience like no other. I am not much of a traveler, although I would love to be. I have never seen ocean waters outside of California.. I had read much of the reviews here on Trip Advisor, as well as looked at all the pictures I could find on Bora Bora and what to expect.. After having the highest of high expectations for this gorgeous place, and for my honeymoon, I was definitely not disappointed.. We used a travel agent to book our trip. Which I am thankful for, because the flight, shuttle, and boat transfers would have been so confusing for me. All of it was prepared and set up in my vacation package. We spent 6 nights at Le Meridian Bora Bora, and then our final night in Tahiti. Both resorts were great, but nothing compares to the location of Bora Bora.

Flying in was the most exciting, I had never seen water so many hues of turquoise blue. The boat ride to the resort is just the build up.. And then to be greeted by song and all of the friendly staff when you arrive.. From beginning to end, just amazing. Getting a view of the grounds and lobby with your welcome drink as they check you in to your bungalow went smoothly and was nice to get a tour of the grounds before you get settled in.. It was storming and pouring rain the entire first day, but it was still just so gorgeous. It was funny really, when we first arrived at the airport water was pouring through the ceilings and inches of water on the ground.. We were given plastic ponchos.. It was still warn and gorgeous!

The weather was unpredictable during our stay, we had anticipated this since it is their wet season. However, we found ourselves in our Bungalow the majority of the time anyway. The set up, even though not huge, feels very spacious. The glass floor has to be the biggest I have seen in searching between resorts, and our balcony with stairs down to the water was just perfect.. We were out about ¾ down the dock so our water was fairly deep. No touching the bottom.. My husband LOVED it, I however am a little more scared.. haha. But it was great! Our view was amazing, we could see the open ocean from our bungalow as well as the lagoon and main Island.

We had tried to plan some excursions, but the weather made that a bit difficult.. We also did have some trouble with communicating with Staff, but they really tried their best to accommodate us. We did the Jet Ski tour of the island and this was one of the highlights of our trip. We were able to be the only two on the tour (they had over booked the first tour) but this gave us the opportunity to be alone on our tour during sunset! What an awesome experience! We also used the kayaks and did some exploring in those. We went to the main Island one day, figuring out the shuttle there was a bit confusing, I had understood there was a free one that only went at certain times.. We used this but it meant we either had to go early in the day, or right before dinner.. We chose to go early in the day, and do some sight seeing before we had planned dinner at Bloody Mary’s. This was neat to get to see the main Island, but there really isn’t much to see.. We did a lot of walking, and it was insanely hot and humid.. Next time I would probably take the evening boat and just go for dinner. But it was an experience to remember. We were able to see one of the most beautiful sunsets from the main island that evening!

We had prepared for the food cost and also food quality before our trip. Trip Advisor was a huge help in what to expect.. I had seen how expensive people said food and drinks were, and also that the meals weren’t the best.. It is true, the prices are crazy! We had breakfast included in our travel package so this was our biggest meal of the day… We tried to fill up on breakfast and then we had packed snacks and some liquor. We mostly snacked throughout the day on crackers and bread, and made our own drinks from what we had brought. At night we would go to the bar and buy an appetizer or two to share and drinks and this was good enough for us! As far as the reviews go on the food being bad.. It is not bad.. It is not the BEST food you will ever have.. But it is not bad.. The breakfast had a very wide range of foods.. Omelets, sausage, bacon, fish, waffles, French toast, and a whole side for pastries, fruits, and other cold food. The breakfast buffet was great!! On the day we went to the main island we also stalked up on cheese and salami and more liquor.. I think this saved us a lot on not having to have a full priced meal 3 times a day! After a while though, it does feel repetitive.

The grounds are just amazing.. They comb the beach every morning! Even though there was obviously other people there, we felt like we were on an island just by ourselves! This was PERFECT for us, our entire courtship was chaperoned, so to have this private alone time together on our honeymoon was just so perfect. The walk out to our bungalow at night was just a feeling that can’t be compared.. Being out there in the middle of such beauty! The bar held a disco night one night that we were there; we had such a fun time dancing the night away! Considering that much of Bora Bora and the resort is shut down once the sun goes down…

This is a place for seclusion and peace… Not for large restaurants, bars or clubs.. Pure peace. I spent a lot of time researching different resorts in Bora Bora, and on a budget I chose Le Meridien. It looked to be the best for its price, and I would choose it all over again. I don’t think there could be much more for the value of this place. Sure, more restaurant options, maybe more night activities… But really it was perfect. We WILL be returning. At first we decided for our 10 year anniversary… Now we are talking our 5 year… Maybe even our 2nd at the rate we are missing this place!

To wrap it up I would say pros:
Everything! Haha… Mostly the amazing bungalows( GET AN OVER WATER BUNGALOW!!), the amazing location, and ultimately the feeling of being free, not crowded and alone!

The cons:
More to do that doesn’t cost a ton. And yes, better food.. The only other con was the small communication barrier.. These cons really do not even come close to the pros.. Something I did not mention.. And I forgot to bring this to the staffs attention(which I should) But when you are out in a different environment these things aren't really bothersome. Our table in our room (the surfboard shaped in the middle of the room) had some type of beetle I believe.. I would say it looked like powder post beatles but larger, Never saw any bugs, just the very fine dust they leave behind from eating the wood.. Everyday they would clean the room, and even after cleaning up the old dust, new dust would be there within hours.. These aren't worrisome pests, so it honestly skipped my mind! But I would not at all factor this in to my rating. My fault for not bringing it to anyone's attention.

Room Tip: Over the water bungalow room 229. We were in about 15 feet deep water. Perfect location!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mperez4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I recently spent 8 nights in an Overwater Bungalow. The room was great (huge glass floor) and compared favorably to similar accommodations we'd had in Moorea and the Maldives. The resort was scenic and well-maintained and offer great views of Mount Otemanu. The property did not feel overcrowded although in the afternoon there were probably not enough lounges at the pool to go around (plenty on the beach though). We didn't do any excursions and mostly just lounged around. The Turtle Sanctuary on site was a nice surprise. We got to see a feeding and participate in an interactive talk with one of the guides. Gym was nice and the business center had 3 mostly functional computers.

The snorkeling at the resort was a major bummer. Maybe our expectations were too high after our trip to the Maldives but 1) there are very few fish, only sea cucumbers and 2) there was a shortage of masks/fins. Apparently to get good snorkeling in Bora Bora you've got to take an excursion, which we didn't spring for.

The only complaint we really had, and its a big one, is that the food was generally terrible. And not just a bad value but legitimately not good. My husband is a bit of a food snob but I'm not very picky myself but even I noticed that everything was bland and flavorless. The dinner buffet in particular was bad, and a terrible value. They offer a huge selection of items but everything is meh. The problem is that there aren't really any options (short of boating to another resort) so you're stuck with what they serve. We ended up just ordering off the a la carte menu (better tasting and cheaper than the buffet but not available all nights) or ordering cheeseburgers off the limited room service menu.

All in all we had a great trip but I the food would be enough to keep us from returning to Le Meridien.

Room Tip: Get a OWB facing Mount Otemanu.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fijiheaven
Simon C, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Ia orana,

Thank you for sharing your experience in our resort. We are glad you enjoy your stay at Le Méridien Bora Bora. I am really sorry to learn the food was not matching with your expectations. The management will be aknowledged about your feedback on that subject.
I also want to thank you for speaking about the turtle center. It is a project we really care about and we are always happy to see that our guests appreciate it.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Kind Regards,

Simon C.
Audubon, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I just got home from our honeymoon at Le Meridien. This resort was amazing! We stayed in an over the water bungalow with glass floors. We loved being able to see all the fish swim under it! The resort was so beautiful, quiet and relaxing. We were so excited to swim with the sea turtles at the resorts turtle center. (And for free!). The food was great. We stuffed ourselves every meal! There emplyees are so friendly and are very hard workers. We were very sad to go home after the week of enjoying paradise. I would definitely return there.

• Stayed January 2014
Chugiak, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Spent six nights here and loved every minute of it, except paying the food bills.
We stayed in an overwater bungalow about halfway down the boardwalk (#216). Water was about ten feet deep off our deck, which was perfect for us. The water depth below the bungalows ranges between 1 feet and 15 feet. Obviously the closer in, the shallower the water. You do see more fish in the shallower water, but the deeper water was great for swimming and snorkeling right off your private deck.
Bungalows are very spa like, very clean and completely fit the tropical setting. Big glass floor was really cool. It was hit or miss on seeing fish but we did see rays swimming under and around our bungalow on a few occasions.
January is in the rainy season and we saw everything from light, quick passing showers to a few nights of torrential rain. Overall, we were lucky and had a good deal of sunshine during our stay. We were a little worried before arriving because the long range forecast called for rain almost ever day. If you see that before you arrive I wouldn't worry too much about it. The rain seems to pass quickly and for us was usually at night.
There are several excursions you can book right from the hotel. They are pricey, but the ones we went on were great. Highly recommend the ray and shark feeding trip. Great way to see the island and go to some great places to snorkel. After doing a few excursions we mainly did the free activities at the resort. Snorkeling, kayaking, beach combing along the reef, and just walking around the resort. Not that we cared, but don't expect any kind of night life, it is pretty much a ghost town at night. The resort was at very low capacity during our stay, which was very nice for us, but it does effect the dining. It appears they do not offer the dinner buffets when they have low capacity.

Food report and my only complaint: They have a great breakfast buffet with tons of variety of food. This was included in our package, which I recommend doing. If we would have paid as we went the buffet would have been about $50 per person.
There is really only one place that we noticed to each lunch; the food was good, but the menu was limited and got a little old towards the end. This we did have to pay as we went and it is very expensive. $40 grilled mahi mahi, $35 cheeseburger and fries, $25 plate of spaghetti, etc. Water at meals is not free and actually costs about $8 a bottle(not fancy water, just standard bottled water that's bottled in Tahiti.) Sodas are also about $8 a can. Beer is $10-$15 a bottle and wine and mixed drinks go up from there.

The first two nights they offered a dinner buffet which I heard was good. (We both caught colds on the long flight over, so we went to sleep early the first two nights and skipped dinner). After those first two nights we went to dinner every night, but they didn't have the buffet due to low occupancy. Ala Carte menu was somewhat limited and just like the lunch menu also got old towards the end. We ordered one entrée each and either water or soda(no alcohol) and it cost between $100-$150 for the two of us each night. The food was good with decent portions, but just way too expensive.

Early in your stay take the trip to Vaitape and stock up on water, sodas and snacks. Prices there are not too much more than in the states.

We really loved this resort for its location, activities, friendly staff, turtle center and charm. The food and beverage prices were a major disappointment to us. If the price mark up was due to the remoteness of the island I would have no problem with it. But after seeing the reasonable prices in Vaitape, it is frustrating that the resort gouges the prices as much as they do. We will research other resorts next time to see if the food pricing is similar. If one of them has more reasonable food prices we would likely give them a try.

Room Tip: All of the standard overwater bungalows appear to be identical and offer great views. They have tw...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris W
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Choose the Le Meridien because it had the biggest glass floor - and it was soooo worth it. Truely remarkable. Service was highest quality from the reception at the pier through to the boat trip leaving. Greeted with a smile and tropical punch, given a tour of the facility, driven out to the bungaloo. The view of the center island mountain was best from this side. Also took an action packed jet ski ride. Everything was magical, whether chilling in one of the two infinity pools, snorkeling in the bay, or relaxing in the room. It's all about the service. We stayed at 3 hotels on this trip, and this was by far the best!

Room Tip: Bungaloo with the mountain view! We were out on the end with nothing to disturb us.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin C
Simon C, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Ia Orana Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our resort. We are glad you consider your stay in our hotel as magical. Thank you again for your very kind comment, we look forward to welcome you again for another magical stay. Simon C.
Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Bora Bora awesome!! It was hard to believe that it could live up to the expectations we had built up but it did and then some.

Le Meridien was recommended by Jackie of Custom Tahiti Travel as part of our tour package. Might I say they did an excellent job of pulling together a fantastic trip. Timely communication, good recommendations and easy to deal with on or off the phone.

The Le Meridien welcome was excellent, airport transfer was well orchestrated and super friendly. At the front desk Havai was very nice. She confirmed all our reservations and made sure we understood where we needed to be and when. Then an individual guided tour ending up at our Fantastic OWB. What a room and what a view!!!!

Jackie you were so right to recommend the premium OWB it was worth every penny. We were so comfortable. Everything was very clean, towels and ammenities refreshed twice per day, walk in closet held all of our luggage and clothing out of the way, and fridge worked well to keep beverages cool. The service was really good, in fact one evening we forgot to lock our safe while we were out, the attendant locked it and left a note to call the front desk for the code. Everything was still there! Now that is honesty and service.

As our departure flight was in the evening Jackie was able to arrange us to have our OWB until 5:00 pm. This was like an extension to our trip, allowed us to relax and fully enjoy the last day.

The beach's, the weather, the water amazing. Best of all no crowds, no battling for beach chairs etc. In fact almost deserted. Fantastic solitude. The rest we needed in the middle of a dynamic trip.

One recommendation. The personal use of flippers for extended periods of time seems to be hit and miss. I had seen reviews where they were made available to guests for days. We asked but were advised they were only for daily use and had to be turned in at the end if the day. However we did see they on OWB decks for days. Should be a standard set and maintained.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premium OWB it is certainly worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian D
Cecilia O, Executive secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort so nicely following your recent holidays .We are delighted to read your feedback on the resort and our friendly staff. Thank you as well for your suggestion as regard as snorkeling equipement and we are indeed working in that sense so guests could keep equipement their whole stay.

Sunny regards,

Cécile
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is truly gorgeous. The property is on a beautiful beach adjacent to the St. Regis, Intercontinental and Four Seasons. It is literally the nicest beach I have seen anywhere in the world. Crystal clear waters full if tropical fish and 80 plus degree waters.

The staff is exceptionally nice and goes out of their way to help. We had our two young kids w us over the holidays and they gave them two stuffed green sea turtles which they were so excited to get. They also have an on site turtle rescue center and again the staff were super nice yo the kids and they were able to swim w the turtles for free and see the turtle rescue center.

The rooms were recently renovated and beautiful. We didn't have an over water bungalow as with children we didn't think that was a great idea. We were traveling w my parents as well so we had a beach villa w a living room which was truly terrific as the kids basically made the living room their bedroom.

The one thing you do need to recognize is the internet is slow as your in the middle of the Pacific so no streaming videos or massive PowerPoint downloads. Internet sped is 256k or about 1/20th of what you'd get in a metro hotel in the US. I don't think that issue is specific to the hotel.

They also have a work out center which has everything you need and is well air conditioned. The middle if the day gets a bit too hot so we used the facility and were happy with it.

The pools are excellent as is the beach. They give you free snorkeling gear and access to kayaks and the like.

There are a number of other activities available. We had the concierge books us a half day where we got to swim w sharks, feed the rays and snorkel next to a coral reef. This was recommended by Piere at the front desk. We were a bit nervous our kids are 6 and 8 but after a bit of apprehension they did everything and it was the highlight of the trip.

Breakfast was terrific. I'd recommend getting a package that includes breakfast. They had a buffet with wonderful French pastries, great fruits, and eggs made to order.

We are lunch at the pool bar which had a bistro that had a limited menu of sandwiches and fries. The food was very tasty.

The one negative was that dinner was just not up to par on site and going offsite was a bit if a trek and entailed a $210 water taxi bill ($35 per person) prior to dinner. The ingredients they use for dinner are top notch but the food is just prepared well. The food is devoid of flavor. The hotel should hire a top notch chef and it would be one of the 2 best I've ever berm to up their with the Four Seasons on the Big Island. Despite the expense, I'd go offsite as there are a number of great restaurants especially if you go a couple.

The only other thing the hotel should do I snake sure the concierge desk is sufficiently staffed as they were flat out busy when we were there but were able to do everything we asked for.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank CardinalRK
Cecilia O, Executive Secretary at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort following your recent holidays at our resort.

We are delighted to read your feedback and that you have enjoyed our great beach, our facilities and friendly staff. Your remarks on food quality and cuisine have been shared as well with our Food and Beverage team.
Hopefully we will have another opportunity to welcome you again in a near future.

Sunny regards,