“A Good Stay”

Le Meridien Bora Bora
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Bora Bora is a great place to visit. Le Meridian had strengths and weaknesses. The hotel must improve its food service. Breakfast was great,but the on beach capability to provide food was bad...worst of all was the service. They seemed short handed all the time and couldnt get food out of the kitchen. esp. special orders. The menu was limited and expensive..esp so for dinner.

On the positive side..the beach was terrific...the huts were what we expected...comfortable and well taken care off. The staff was very warm and friendly. The beach staff was excellent.

I would not return unless they do something about the food. There is no where else to go. Sorry. We had a great trip being together, but the hotel should have done a better job in food service.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Lagoon..also the bungalows around the lagoon arent bad
2  Thank Richard L
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Ia Orana,

Thanks for your feedback. I am happy to learn that you've kept fond memories of your stay with us and will be sure to share your kind comments with our associates.

We have now transformed our dinner restaurant Le Tiaré into an Italian fusion restaurant called La Trattoria, so your comments about the Food and Beverage Department is certainly encouraging in showing us we have done the right thing in improving our service outlets. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again especially as we have now completed these enhancements.

Executive Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (2,715)

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I just returned from Le Meridien for our honeymoon, which began May 21'st and lasted 8 nights. While there may be even more lavish accommodations at the Four Seasons or St. Regis, I'm not sure why it would be much more worth it for anyone to stay at those hotels versus Le Meridien. This hotel is top notch all the way around. We stayed in a premium OWB, which I booked through Tahiti Travel Planners (Lauren was my agent). The location of this resort is unmatched as it felt like we were literally on the front porch of Mount O. The service, food, decor of the resort, turtle sanctuary, view from the bungalow, staff and overall feel of everything exceeded my expectations.

There are only two negatives about traveling to Bora Bora and, if you don't know about them before you go, you probably have no business traveling there. It is expensive and it is far, depending on where you travel from (for me it was North Carolina). I knew about both and accepted both, therefore, I was not surprised and didn't dwell on it. I read a ton of reviews before going there and some were true and some were not. My advice is that, if you can afford it, go and make your own decisions. I read that the food was terrible. This is obviously a subjective argument, but I found the food to be wonderful - in all places of all types. Bloody Mary's cooked the best two fish dishes (mahi mahi and wahoo respectively) that my wife and I have ever eaten ...and we live on the beach. Le Meridien's restaurants were all very, very good in our opinion for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our romantic dinner was more than we could eat.

As a whole, the island of Bora Bora is the most magical place to which I've ever been ...or seen. It is everything that everyone describes and more. I could not believe that a place like this exists on this earth and I've been to the Caribbean dozens of times. The island and the graciousness of the people get into your soul and this is the only place I've ever been where I was nearly in tears upon leaving (despite being ready to get home). We went on a shark/stingray snorkel, swam with turtles and went on a 4X4 safari all over the main island. Each of them in their own way were some of the coolest experiences I've ever had.

All in all, there is no place like this and the Le Meridien resort captures the mystique of the island as well as I could possibly imagine it being captured ...I would have no reason to stay anywhere else.

3  Thank Geoff G
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Ia Orana,
Thank you for taking time off in writing this review. We were delighted to hear that you and your husband had a wonderful stay with us at Le Meridien Bora Bora.

Your positive comments and kind words are very much appreciated and we assure you we have communicated these to those staff and departments concerned. Customer service is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such positive feedback and know that the team has looked after you so well.

In closing, it is our hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Bora Bora on many future occasions.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

You can't go wrong with Bora Bora as a location itself and Le Meridien has an oustanding view of the main Bora Bora island. We booked the premium end of pontoon overwater bungalow with a view of Mt Otemanu and the view can't be beat. Beautiful blue waters with a dramatic mountain in the back. Unfortunately due to the location of the bungalow it does become a bit more susceptible to the weather elements. For the 6 nights we were there there wasn't a day that didn't have some pretty strong winds that prevented us from using the balcony a bit more than we did. It was great to be able to have the ladder to step down into the water right off our balcony but I would caution all those who do indulge in this convenience as the waters can get quite choppy with the wind and the boats passing by. There also isn't as much to see with regards to sealife and coral in these waters. We just came from the Sofitel in Moorea and there were tons of coral and tropical fish but at the end of the pontoon at LM there were a lot less fishes, no coral and unless you were willing to do a 10-15ft dive you could see some sea urchins.

The free snorkeling equipment and beach towels were nice but I think that may be the standard for most resorts in the Tahiti area. It was a minor setback that you couldn't keep the snorkeling equipment and beach towels in your room for your stay like we were able to at Sofitel (must be returned by 5pm each day). I later read from another review that you could ask to keep it longer but it wasn't a huge deal to us but it would have been nice if they asked if we would like to keep it for our stay. The equipment isn't kept in the best condition though. On our last day when we went to borrow equipment we discovered both goggles had leaks in them.

The rooms were in good condition. There was the huge glass floor that had a great view of sea life when it did come by. The closet is handy for storing your luggage as we frequently find ourselves trying to find a place to put our suitcases in other hotel rooms. I'm not sure how often these rooms are maintained but it seems like there has been some neglect. The first thing we noticed was that the handle for the balcony door was loose and could completely be removed. The balcony could see a bit more maintenance as well. There were serveral spots of bird excrement on the railing as I soon discovered that the birds tend to perch there while feeding on fishes. Don't leave your lounge chairs too close to the railing because they'll get dirty as well and housekeeping doesn't clean them as we quickly found out. Because of the location and the wind some of the leaves from the thatched roof have gone missing but I'm not sure what can be done about that since there's little to protect these bungalows from the weather elements.

The area that needs the most improvement is the restaurant though. We tried the a la carte on two consecutive nights and the service was super slow on both ocassions. Something is terribly wrong when it takes 2+ hours to complete a dinner service when the restaurant isn't even half full. On both nights there was maybe 15 tables, max and service was still slow. On the first night the food was okay and we were able to accept the slow service, on the second night the food fell flat on its face and the service followed right after it. I ordered a fish and it was overcooked and burnt. I literally could not stick a fork through the edges of the fish. My wife's risotto was completely overcooked as well. Risotto rice should never be cooked to the point were the rice is breaking down like porridge. Not only that, the desserts that we never got to order the previous night were also "sold out" that night. When we asked the server about it they reluctantly admitted that they never even had it that night nor the previous night so it wasn't really "sold out". We complained to the reception since we weren't able to find anyone to actually complain to since service was so slow and they were very apologetic and able to refund us the meal portion of dinner but that really is only a bandaid solution. The buffets aren't much better though, we had the breakfast buffet included in our package and it almost the same items every day. You might end up with potato wedges instead of hashbrown but other than that, the menu will remain virtually the same. There are only 1 or two items that get switched out. I'm not sure how much variety can be provided for a breakfast buffet but it can get tired really quick. The dinner buffet is probably the worst bang for your buck. Also the service adage where the first customer should have the same selection as the last customer does not hold true here. If you miss the boat on a dish, you may have to wait a while for that dish to be refilled or if it's late enough in the service you will never see that dish again. Cleanliness can also be an issue with the buffets. I understand that an open air buffet will also see some pests come by but staff should really keep an eye on that. I was able to see two cockroaches crawling around the dessert plates, who knows how many more there could be. Definitely a turn off there.

Overall I'd say that the location itself is great, the angle of Mt Otenamu that you get from LM is second to none, the rooms are average and the amenities definitely need improvement. It probably isn't your best value for your money here unless some improvements are made. When my travels take me back here I will definitely be exploring other resorts as a comparison.

Room Tip: End of pontoon rooms can't be beat for the views, beware that you will experience deeper and cho...
1  Thank EternalSpira

Ia Orana,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share your comment with us.

As for snorkeling and snorkeling equipment, we do ask all our guests to return it every evening so that we can clean and repair all parts. This way we can ensure a high hygiene standard and remove any leaking masks etc. The best place to snorkel is definitely our inner lagoon where you can see all sorts of coral and tropical fish, and even see into the Turtle Lagoon.

In order for me to share your comments with the entire management team, and ultimately receive feedback from them as well as to why we were unable to provide you with the excellent service we strive for, I would highly appreciate if you could contact us at contact@lemeridien-borabora.com at your earliest convenience. This way we can address you directly.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I (43 and 55) just came back from a week in Bora Bora. With an unfortunate start where our booking of the premium overwater bungalow had gone "missing", we were upgraded to a gorgeous villa with plunge pool. Number 407, which is the most private, being set back further and framed by two huge hibiscus trees. Having travelled to many island resorts in Fiji (much closer to Australia so a regular haunt), we were bowled over by the crystal waters, turtles, and marine life in the lagoon. Speaking with a number of people who had had over water bungalows, we were, in hindsight, delighted to instead have the villa, which saw us use the lagoon far more. There is far more marine life in the lagoon than around the over waters, but hardly anyone seems to discover this. The food was fine - being used to island food, we found the quality very acceptable, however did enjoy an amazing meal at the neighbouring Intercontinental. Don't miss the Shark and ray snorkel. A very beautiful location and one to be revisited. Do your research as to whether you want really high end opulence, or instead opt for Le Meridien which is a lovely, refurbished resort, and gives you much more natural activities if you like being a little active in and on the water.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Ia Orana,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed the resort's facilities, the secluded beach, and location, although you had an unfortunate incident in the beginning. Whether to choose an Owerwater Bungalow or a Villa depends on your personal taste, but I agree that the Villas are absolutely amazing with its plunge pools and private beach leading to the inner lagoon.

We look forward to having you again soon in sunny Bora Bora!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We are at Le Merdien for the "blow out" upgraded portion of our honeymoon- premium over water bungalow.
Our first night, last night, a huge disappointment. The restaurant alla carte food was flat out disgusting. The service was terrible. It took over 2.5 hours for dinner and the restaurant was not at full capacity. No one ever came to check on us or offer a second drink. There was a dead baby crab in my food - that did not belong there. While I do understand that things can happen with fresh seafood, our waiter laughed at my concern. Laughed. That was the last straw for my husband. Disgusting food at outrageous prices. And we were not the only ones with problems - as we saw and overheard from 2 other tables. This is NOT competitively priced for the quality.
On our walk back to the room we passed the attendant driving by us- who stopped and said they left a half bottle of champagne for us -- the bungalow door was left WIDE OPEN! So much for safety here?! (They didn't know we were on the path back!)
Oh- and our premium bungalow is 2 twin beds pushed together. So- good luck snuggling on your honeymoon when someone falls in the crack?! Seriously? Ridiculous.
My expectation for this "luxury" resort would be higher than the Hilton in Moorea (which we just left and Loved) and so far, this is not the case. I agree with the previous reviewer, the rooms here are showing age.
I sincerely hope this is turned around in the next few days with other available activities here and by the service and attention we will need to get to town to eat - because we won't continue to eat here at the hotel for this outrageous amount of money for terrible food and service. Extremely disappointed & praying for a service recovery because my husband is just beside himself w/ this disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Jessebean
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Ia Orana,

I am truly sorry and worried to learn about your concerns from yesterday evening, and I assure you that this is a type of service that is absolutely not compatible with our standards here at Le Méridien Bora Bora.

In order for me to share your comments with the entire management team, and ultimately receive feedback from them as well as to why we were unable to provide you with the excellent service we strive for, I would highly appreciate if you could contact the Reception at your earliest convenience. This way I can meet with you personally to discuss this matter further in detail.

With my sincere regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am a platinum SPG member and have stayed at quite a few of their hotels. Looking at the pictures the place looks fantastic. Hence why we picked it. It has more of a resort feel to us. Its is also showing its age. We went over to the St Regis and toured it. That is more of a oasis. Grounds groomed nicely, bigger overwater bungalows, just felt a lot more high end. We wont be returning there.
If I were the owner of Le Meridian I would definitely be more hands on.
That said, the water is great and so is view of Bora Bora island.

Room Tip: Over water bungalows are where its at. Any of the ones farther out have deeper water, so you can di...
2  Thank garymf

Ia Orana,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

We have noted that you have a mixed feeling about our hotel. It is true that both Le Méridien Bora Bora and St Regis are Starwood properties, but they offer two completely different experiences.

Your observations and feedback is greatly appreciated as it will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our services. We hope that you will grant us a renewed opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Bora Bora in a near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Le Meridien is a fantastic resort in terms of setting and activities. The complimentary breakfast buffet was good, but the evening dinning left a lot to be desired. Service at the ala cart restaurant was slow, dinners next to us never received their entree, they were served appetizer, the next time their server came around he asked if they were ready for dessert.... In all fairness I happened to meet the executive chef off property, and he stated he had only arrived on the island only 2 weeks previous and most of everything except fish and some local fruit needs to be imported, hence the steep prices on food.
Water bungalows were just beautiful. Tons of fish. Make sure you visit the turtle center and support their efforts.
Also bringing some of your own refreshments and snacks is a VERY good idea.

Room Tip: I think all the overwater bungalows are fantastic, do you prefer morning or evening sun....
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Ia Orana,

We would like to inform you that, we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. As a management team, we share these comments with our staff so we may resolve any and all issues. Therefore, thank you for your observations concerning the experience in our restaurants, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

I am delighted that you appreciated our turtle rehabilitation program and that you acknowledged the great work of our marine biologists. We need all the help we can get to help save the endangered Green Sea Turtles, and thanks to our guests help we have been able to release yet another two strong ones last week!

Sincerely.