“Don't overlook the lagoon!”

Le Meridien Bora Bora
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Sydney, Australia
“Don't overlook the lagoon!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I (43 and 55) just came back from a week in Bora Bora. With an unfortunate start where our booking of the premium overwater bungalow had gone "missing", we were upgraded to a gorgeous villa with plunge pool. Number 407, which is the most private, being set back further and framed by two huge hibiscus trees. Having travelled to many island resorts in Fiji (much closer to Australia so a regular haunt), we were bowled over by the crystal waters, turtles, and marine life in the lagoon. Speaking with a number of people who had had over water bungalows, we were, in hindsight, delighted to instead have the villa, which saw us use the lagoon far more. There is far more marine life in the lagoon than around the over waters, but hardly anyone seems to discover this. The food was fine - being used to island food, we found the quality very acceptable, however did enjoy an amazing meal at the neighbouring Intercontinental. Don't miss the Shark and ray snorkel. A very beautiful location and one to be revisited. Do your research as to whether you want really high end opulence, or instead opt for Le Meridien which is a lovely, refurbished resort, and gives you much more natural activities if you like being a little active in and on the water.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Ia Orana,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed the resort's facilities, the secluded beach, and location, although you had an unfortunate incident in the beginning. Whether to choose an Owerwater Bungalow or a Villa depends on your personal taste, but I agree that the Villas are absolutely amazing with its plunge pools and private beach leading to the inner lagoon.

We look forward to having you again soon in sunny Bora Bora!

Best regards,

Executive Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We are at Le Merdien for the "blow out" upgraded portion of our honeymoon- premium over water bungalow.
Our first night, last night, a huge disappointment. The restaurant alla carte food was flat out disgusting. The service was terrible. It took over 2.5 hours for dinner and the restaurant was not at full capacity. No one ever came to check on us or offer a second drink. There was a dead baby crab in my food - that did not belong there. While I do understand that things can happen with fresh seafood, our waiter laughed at my concern. Laughed. That was the last straw for my husband. Disgusting food at outrageous prices. And we were not the only ones with problems - as we saw and overheard from 2 other tables. This is NOT competitively priced for the quality.
On our walk back to the room we passed the attendant driving by us- who stopped and said they left a half bottle of champagne for us -- the bungalow door was left WIDE OPEN! So much for safety here?! (They didn't know we were on the path back!)
Oh- and our premium bungalow is 2 twin beds pushed together. So- good luck snuggling on your honeymoon when someone falls in the crack?! Seriously? Ridiculous.
My expectation for this "luxury" resort would be higher than the Hilton in Moorea (which we just left and Loved) and so far, this is not the case. I agree with the previous reviewer, the rooms here are showing age.
I sincerely hope this is turned around in the next few days with other available activities here and by the service and attention we will need to get to town to eat - because we won't continue to eat here at the hotel for this outrageous amount of money for terrible food and service. Extremely disappointed & praying for a service recovery because my husband is just beside himself w/ this disappointment.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Jessebean
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Ia Orana,

I am truly sorry and worried to learn about your concerns from yesterday evening, and I assure you that this is a type of service that is absolutely not compatible with our standards here at Le Méridien Bora Bora.

In order for me to share your comments with the entire management team, and ultimately receive feedback from them as well as to why we were unable to provide you with the excellent service we strive for, I would highly appreciate if you could contact the Reception at your earliest convenience. This way I can meet with you personally to discuss this matter further in detail.

With my sincere regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am a platinum SPG member and have stayed at quite a few of their hotels. Looking at the pictures the place looks fantastic. Hence why we picked it. It has more of a resort feel to us. Its is also showing its age. We went over to the St Regis and toured it. That is more of a oasis. Grounds groomed nicely, bigger overwater bungalows, just felt a lot more high end. We wont be returning there.
If I were the owner of Le Meridian I would definitely be more hands on.
That said, the water is great and so is view of Bora Bora island.

Room Tip: Over water bungalows are where its at. Any of the ones farther out have deeper water, so you can di...
2 Thank garymf
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Ia Orana,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

We have noted that you have a mixed feeling about our hotel. It is true that both Le Méridien Bora Bora and St Regis are Starwood properties, but they offer two completely different experiences.

Your observations and feedback is greatly appreciated as it will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our services. We hope that you will grant us a renewed opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Bora Bora in a near future.

Kind regards,

Santa Clara, California
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Le Meridien is a fantastic resort in terms of setting and activities. The complimentary breakfast buffet was good, but the evening dinning left a lot to be desired. Service at the ala cart restaurant was slow, dinners next to us never received their entree, they were served appetizer, the next time their server came around he asked if they were ready for dessert.... In all fairness I happened to meet the executive chef off property, and he stated he had only arrived on the island only 2 weeks previous and most of everything except fish and some local fruit needs to be imported, hence the steep prices on food.
Water bungalows were just beautiful. Tons of fish. Make sure you visit the turtle center and support their efforts.
Also bringing some of your own refreshments and snacks is a VERY good idea.

Room Tip: I think all the overwater bungalows are fantastic, do you prefer morning or evening sun....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ia Orana,

We would like to inform you that, we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. As a management team, we share these comments with our staff so we may resolve any and all issues. Therefore, thank you for your observations concerning the experience in our restaurants, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

I am delighted that you appreciated our turtle rehabilitation program and that you acknowledged the great work of our marine biologists. We need all the help we can get to help save the endangered Green Sea Turtles, and thanks to our guests help we have been able to release yet another two strong ones last week!

Sincerely.

Westminster, California
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Hi,

We just returned from Bora Bora two days ago. Wow!! We stayed at the Le Meridien Resort in an overwater bungalow absolutely beautiful. Upon arrival at Bora Bora Airport, staff from Le Meridien were waiting for us with traditional welcome and lei greeting. They gathered our luggage and transferred to boat to take us to resort. At the boat dock, we were greeted graciously by staff and escorted to reception by Ani she gave us info about the resort and took us on mini tour. She then took us to our bungalow by way of golf cart rm#223. The water depth in some of the rooms was only waist deep water our room however had a depth of 6 to 8ft. Surprisingly! the water current under our bungalow was kinda strong. After a quick swim, we went to the beach, basked the sun and admired the beautiful scenery. Nicholas and Jay at the beach house are absolutely wonderful!!! whatever you needed towels, snorkeling equipment, kayaks, hobie cat they'd set you up. As for the food at the resort, it was very expensive. Te Ava (lunch), Le Tipanie (dinner), Miki Miki Bar all very expensive, for example, the dinner buffet at Le Tipanie $80/pp food is nothing to write home about. A La Carte, price wise is a little cheaper but reservation is needed breakfast buffet decent but didn't have eggs one day at all. Miki Miki Bar and (Pool Bar ran out of Hinano beer for two days Pool bar out of Beer WHAT!! / HUH!!) drinks expensive $20.00 mixed drinks and very skimpy on liquor but food is pretty good although can take awhile to get it. One comical night, a bartender put on a show for us flipping bottles in the air behind his back a la Tom Cruise (Cocktail) best bartender ever......WRONG WORST.... bartender ever (name unknown) didn't stay still long enough to read name tag, He would on numerous occasions take a drink order, start making it, forget it.... 10, 20, 30 minutes later countless people would come back to bar asking about there drinks others would just leave. He was easily distracted getting cell calls from angry girlfriend or wife, co-worker asking about receipt entries to computer, or staff pulling him in another direction definitely not a multi-tasker unacceptable for a 5 star establishment and the price of drinks.

As for boat shuttles, Le Meridien provides a free shuttle to Anau Base two times a day. Sometimes excursion companies will pick you up there or come directly to resort to pick you up. As for shuttle to Vaitape, it costs $25.00 rt/pp. Note: So if high food prices are getting you down pack a collapsible cooler while in Vaitape go to Chinese supermarket (Chin Lee's) buy cold cuts, snacks, water, baggettes, beer it definitely will save you $$$. One example, 2 six packs, 3 packs of cigs (Marlboro) $44.00 compared to resort prices of $7.50 for 1 beer and 1 pack of cigs $10.00. Every room has a refrigerator to keep purchases fresh. While we were sunbathing on the beach, I can't tell you how many people we saw get off the shuttle walking to rooms carrying bread, beer, water and taking to room.

All in All, with the exception of a couple staff members and food/alcohol prices, we really enjoyed our stay at Le Meridien Resort...The resort has a beautiful Lagoon to snorkel in, a beach with different activities kayaking, wind surfing, paddle boarding etc. and museum on the grounds to learn about sea turtles and creatures also a short walk behind the resort is the ocean reef where you could check out tide pools and big waves crashing to shore. Le Meridien did not disappoint.

Happy Travels
K_S50

Room Tip: The first few overwater bungalows have waist deep water. The further out you go the water gets deep...
Ia Orana,

Thanks for your feedback. I am happy to learn that you've kept fond memories of your stay with us and will be sure to share your kind comments with Ani, Nicolas and Jay.

As I write we have began the final phase of transforming our dinner restaurant Le Tiaré into an Italian trattoria, so your comments about the Food and Beverage Department is certainly encouraging in showing us we are doing the right thing in improving our service outlets. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again especially once we've completed these enhancements.

Our associates certainly do their utmost to ensure that guests' expectations are exceeded. I am sorry that the specific person at the bar did not meet your expectations, and this has been taken up for discussion with the management to prevent any further reoccurrence in the future.

Best regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2013

It's funny in a trip like this you actually build up expectation and end up comparing different hotels. Le Meridien was my 3rd stay in FP after Intercontinental Tahiti and Hilton Moorea. And we have set our expectation to the maximum for Bora Bora.
As stated in one of the previous reviews, Le Meridien is located in a Motu with no corals around the bungalows. Different from Hilton Moorea where myself and wife stayed in the water many hours a day. Our bungalow was at the end of the pathway where water is too deep and wife was not so confident for the swim.
Bora Bora is indeed a paradise, we did a Combo trip with Moana JetSki and this can't be missed. It was our best experience in the island.
We did a traditional, but simple, Polinesian wedding vows renewal in the hotel beach and was fantastic. The staff which helped us in this activity were really helpful and made the experience unique.
In regards to the bungalows, yes I think they need to be revamped and perhaps include larger decks. Huge glass floor is impressive in the first hour, and nothing but sand to see. Awful amenities in the room, no sound system as "the others", rest is pretty standard. The Bora Bora view and vibe was making us happy though.
When we decided to go to FP I understood that I'd pay premium for many standard services and agree with that. This didn't make my Tahiti and Moore experience any worst. At the checkin we were informed that our expedia reservation wouldn't include airport transfers and I didn't care much since I was expecting no more the equivalent to 50 to 60 dollars for both of us. (Moorea was $48). But beware they charge equivalent to $170, which could be helicopter transfer in other parts of the world. For the same price you do full day boat trip with food in Rangiroa.
So tip is try to arrange different transfer if you have time. There is a free boat from Hotel to Anau- then you organise taxi to Vaitape and free boat to airport. It's a bit of a hassle but I saw a couple doing that.
At the checkout I expressed my complaints and the reception person laughed. It was not funny and to be taken to management. Wrote an email and just got a reply a week after.
Drinks from Miki Miki bar were great, food very standard. "Others" much much better.
Internal lagoon is beautiful and Mont Otemanu view is the best. Also private beach is where you want to stay and relax.
Tips: bring your own set of snorkels, masks and reef shoes to FP. Do the Jetski tour in the island, Kayak to the neighbor small motu, try to arrange your own tranfers if not included in your package, visit Vaitape on the first day and buy some groceries, get a Polinesian tattoo (they can arrange someone to come to the hotel or go to Matira beach).
My wife was impressed with the glass floor and that was the reason we chose Le Meridien. Consider other reviews and features but not the glass floor to choose yours.

1 Thank Paulo M
Reviewed May 23, 2013

While the scenery is absolutely beautiful and breathtaking, the customer service at the restaurants within the resort is AWEFUL!! Food is ok at best but definitely overpriced for the taste and level of service
The front desk staff are friendly and helpful and rooms are good.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Suzie2001
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Ia Orana,

Many thanks for your review. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time at Le Méridien Bora Bora. As for the restaurants, I know that our Food & Beverage team regularly conduct visits of dining venues outside the resort for price and quality benchmarking and do note that our prices are competitive among restaurants in other similar category hotels on the island. Our associates certainly do their utmost to ensure that guests' expectations are exceeded, and we appreciate all feedback we can get in order to successfully maintain that standard.

We look forward to having you at the Resort again soon.

Kind regards,