“Amazing Escape!!!!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Kansas City
“Amazing Escape!!!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The le meridien was everything we had hoped for!!! I had done a great deal of research while creating our dream trip of three weeks in French Polynesia, and it paid off!! There we 6 adults all traveling together ( three couples) from ages 30-60 and this hotel suited all of wants and needs. Although we were told upon arrival that the hotel was booked to %80, it never felt the slightest but crowed, heck we seemed to have the whole ocean in the front of our bungalows to ourselves the entire week, simply perfect!. The hotel is beautiful, staff is very nice and will go out of the way to provide you with what you want, so long as you just ask. We all stayed in premium over the water bungalows in the 300's and thought they were stunning. I loved being able to jump/swim in our own little paradise. We had breakfast included, and were very greatful, as it was delicious and fulfilling. We only had lunch a couple times and the pizza and pasta were good. Regarding dinner...the only thing less then impressive...The al a carte restuarant was okay, nothing special. Although I did not personally try the buffet, my parents were not thrilled with it. We took the $25 pp round trip beat shuttle to the main island all nights, except one for dinner. We enjoyed trying variuos restaurants and found that although VERY annoying to pay $50 for dinner, the options were much better off the resort, and we liked exploring. The resort is very quiet, there is not much night life, and the entertainment..eekkkkk, lacking. We had hopes for the polynesain show, and it was lame. What we came for however, the amazing over the water bungalows and impeccable ocean waters and a quite escape is exactly what we got. We did check out the nearby hotels and we found that we got the best value for sure. One quick tip, the tap water is perfect to drink, so save your money. We bought a couple large bottle of waters, then would refill them and keep them in our fridge. We also brought wine and other drinks, to drink in our room and on our balcony during sunset. This saved us a tone of money, yet honestly the bar prices were not too high. We went knowing things were expensive, yet found that they were, but not much more then NY prices. I would go back in a heartbeat and would suggest this hotel as a choice for anyone able to escape to Bora bora Paradise.

Room Tip: 327.....perfect!!
1 Thank PamelaVanderHeagen
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Ia Orana!

Thank you so much for your post about your stay!

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and that we were able to exceed your expectations on almost all occasions. We aim to deliver the highest service levels at all areas of the resort, and our ambassadors work incredibly hard to make our guests feel welcome and at home throughout their stay. We could never say enough about our incredible grounds crew that keeps our property looking immaculate each and every day.

Again, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to experience the many amenities our Resort offers. We hope to welcome you back to Le Méridien Bora Bora again soon.

Mauru’uru,

Executive Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at the Le Meridien for 6 nights after 3 nights in Moorea (at the Hilton). We were celebrating our ten year anniversary and booked our trip through Pacific For Less.

In short, from our experience: the setting is beautiful, the views are amazing, the beach is gorgeous, the rooms were great and the food is expensive and not always awesome.

We found the staff at Le Meridien particularly Clara (front desk), Mary and the beach guys to be very friendly and very helpful. We were given floral leis, drinks and a tour of the property when we arrived and were taken immediately to our bungalow (328). The overwater bungalows are beautiful. The glass floors are double the size of the floors in other resorts and we saw a lot of sea life (fish, puffer fish, etc.) down there. There were a lot of cool design features in the bungalows: the patio doors folded back so that you could open up to the entire deck, the panels next to the front door opened to let in additional light, etc.

The view from the bungalow and the beach was amazing. Words can't describe it. We snorkelled right off our dock and saw rays, schools of fish etc.

It was nice that there was free wifi in the room. It wasn't strong enough to do uploading type activities but was fine for checking news from home and sending emails.

We did quite a few off-resort activities. We went diving with Top Dive, went on a shark/ray snorkel trip with Raanui, went into Vaitape for dinner at Maikai and went to the St. Regis for dinner at Lagoon Restaurant. All were awesome.

The food is definitely expensive and was hit and miss. The breakfast buffet (included in our package) was pretty good. There was fresh juice, fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, waffles/french toast, bacon etc. and an omelette bar. Lunch at the beach restaurant was pretty good - the goat cheese salad, the tuna and the pizzas were good. The sandwiches (paninis) at the pool bar were disappointing. We ate dinner at the ala carte restaurant twice - one of which was a "romantic dinner" with a personalized menu, flowers, a special table etc. The food was quite good, but very expensive. We also ate dinner at the mikimiki bar twice which was more affordable and more relaxed.

We had been told that the drinks were expensive and brought our own alcohol from home, which we mixed with pineapple juice we bought from the store. Yummy and convenient.

There were a couple of things we thought were a little strange and detracted from this feeling like a really high class resort in some respects. For example: you had to pay if you wanted to use the paddle boards, the breakfast potatoes were frozen, there was no poolside or beachside drink/food service (you had to order and get it yourself), the shampoo wasn't awesome. However, none of these pretty minor things stopped us from loving our time at the resort and being very happy that Pacific For Less had recommended it to us.

We loved our time in Bora Bora and at Le Meridien.

Room Tip: We were in Bungalow 328. It was beautiful. You couldn't quite see the sunset, but it was a ver...
Ia Orana,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Le Meridien Bora Bora and also for taking the time to share your views on Trip Advisor.

We were very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we could assist you making your ten year anniversary a success. We appreciate your kind comments concerning our ambassadors and we will be sure to pass them along. We aim to provide guests with an exceptional, luxurious experience, and we take pride in the fact that we were able to exceed your expectations on almost all occasions.

Once again, mauru’uru for your positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back, maybe for your 15th anniversary?

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Me and my husband just came back from our Tahiti holiday, spent 3-night in Hilton Moorea, followed by a 4-night stay in Le Meridien Bora Bora. We had a fantastic time in Hilton Moorea, almost everything was perfect there, the snorkelling was great there, and we certainly did not want to leave. I was hoping Le Meridien Bora Bora would be better, as it had costed so much more than our Hilton Moorea stay (we stayed in overwater bungalow in both places). We were quite disappointed to say the least.

This resort is situated on a Motu, so there’s plenty of white sand beach, but there’s no coral at all. That basically means there is no snorkelling at all. I wish I had known this earlier before I booked. I felt completely silly to pay for an overwater bungalow when there was no point of me jumping into the water for a snorkel. In particular, the water was not crystal clear, certainly not compared with the water in Hilton Moorea. To that end, I wish we had spent less money and booked a beach bungalow instead at this resort. There is, however, some snorkelling in the resort’s inner lagoon, but there is really not that much to see after swimming in there once or twice.

In addition, I actually found the water to be quite murky – I spoke with a guest who stayed at the Four Seasons when we went out on excursion and the they said the same thing, so it could be just the way the water is on this side of Bora Bora. However, compared with the water colour with St Regis and the Four Seasons, the water colour at the Le Meridien has slight shads of green, definitely not as nice as the other resorts. The thing is you generally can’t tell about these things until you actually get there and see it for yourself!

The room – we found the bungalow to be quite small, especially compared with what we had in Hilton Moorea. I also did not like the lack of lighting in the bungalow, especially at night. It really did look very dark even when all the lights we could possibly turned on in our bungalow at night. The outdoor deck is also quite small compared with what we had in Hilton Moorea. When you lie down on the outdoor lounge chair, your view is via seeing through the deck’s mesh, which did not offer good view at all. I reckon they need to do something about it, possibly getting some lounge chair that sits higher.

Buffet breakfast is included in our package. The food and the selection is good. But when it gets busy, the staffs tend to forget things. One morning when we went in, the staff gave us a table without asking us what our room number was. I wasn’t sure if it was gonna make any difference since we had to put down our room number anyway when we signed for the bill. But when our bill came it had a breakfast charge for that day and I had to ring the reception to have it taken off. On another morning when we dined there, they never gave us the tea we asked for. We were in a rush to head our for an excursion and had to ask three different ladies before someone eventually bring us the tea bags.

The restaurant – we ate at the a la carte restaurant 3 times for dinner. We as vegetarian found the food to be quite nice. The quality of service though was inconsistent. Some staff were nice while others weren’t. We ate at the A La Cart restaurant three nights in a row and the service level actually went downhill each night. I won’t go into the details but me and my husband gathered it was because the staff realise we don’t order that much from the menu and therefore are ‘less important’. Look, we are not big eaters and we often eat small portions. So when we dined, for the two of us, we only ordered two main vegetarian dishes and two glasses of juice. And that was enough to fill us up since they also provided complimentary bread and appetiser. We felt on our last night when we dined there, the same staff didn’t treat us as nicely because they know we are not ‘big spenders’ – ie we don’t spend on alcohol & desserts etc. The way we were treated indeed spoiled our mood on the last night we dined there.

To dine at the restaurant, you are asked to make reservation beforehand to get good seating next to the lagoon. On the first night when we got into the restaurant, they couldn’t find our reservation. After dinner we later went back to the reception to make a reservation for the next night and at the same time told them that the restaurant couldn’t find our reservation when we dined just then. Laurence from the reception called the restaurant and there was some kind of mistake that took place. But nothing was done to remedy their mistake except a mere apology.
We did not go to the main island to have dinner because the cost of the return taxi boat would cost approximately $50 for the two of us, so we thought it was not worth it. The free shuttle to Anau does not operate at night so your only option is to pay for the taxi shuttle to Vaitape.

On our last day, we were informed that a late checkout the next day was not possible as the resort was fully booked. We have a flight the next day at approx 6pm and we had to check-out by 11am the next day. Obviously we plan to have a good night sleep on our last night. It was a Thursday night where the resort actually had loud disco music playing from 9pm in the Miki Miki bar. The music was so loud it was impossible to sleep when the music was on. At 10:25pm, I rang the reception to find out when the disco music would stop playing and was informed it would stop at 11pm. Then at 11:10pm it was still playing, I rang the reception again and this time the phone was answered by a lady who could not care less. I asked if there was ear plugs available and she said they did not have anything like that! (Are you kidding me!? You play loud disco music in a Bora Bora resort like this and say you don’t offer any ear plugs for guests who complaied?) Then she said she would give the bar a call about the noise. But nothing happened. So I asked my husband to call the reception thinking maybe whoever that lady was at the reception might cared a bit more if it was my husband calling. My husband asked to speak to a manager on duty about the noise from the disco. The reception lady just said she’d get the manager to call back. It was just her way of getting us off the phone. The manager (or anyone at all) never called back. At 11:30pm I decided to call the Miki Miki bar myself to complain about the disco noise. Luckily the guy who picked up the phone from the bar was apologetic and said the loud music would stop in 5 minutes. And luckily it did. But we were obviously still very upset about the whole thing. We would have gone to bed at 9:30pm, but ended up going to sleep close to mid-night because of the disco noise. Le Meridien Bora Bora, if you are reading this, could you please investigate who was working at the reception on the the 9th of May between 11:10-11:30pm when we called. She had terrible customer service and just did not care at all.

On the same note, the next day we spoke with a couple and asked if they were also affected by the disco noise. They said they were actually sleeping but were woken up by the noise. They said they couldn’t believe the resort would even allow this to happen! I asked if they rang the reception to complain - they said they didn’t because they thought someone else would have done it already.

On the actual day when we checked out, my husband asked me what I would say if during the check-out process the staff asked me ‘so how was your stay?’ I said I would be honest with them and to begin with tell them about the disco noise from the bar. But in actual fact, we were not even asked how our stay was! This shows how much they actually cared about the guest experience - which is none!

There are plenty other things I could write about – eg the quality of the shampoo & conditioner was really bad in the room. Now I know why someone on Tripadvisor suggested you bring your own shampoo & conditioner. (In Hilton Moorea this was not an issue at all, we had quality shampoo & conditioner there). There were no complimentary thongs in the room. I do not know which other 4-5 star hotel that I stayed did not provide this. The weather was not good when we were in Bora Bora, it was in May but it still rained a lot and was generally overcast while the weather in Papeete and Moorea was a lot better. Again on our last day when we checked out, we had to hang around for quite a couple of hours before our flight. When it rained, there really weren’t many places to sit around. Unlike Hilton, the Le meridian doesn’t have the beach huts for people to rest under different weather elements (rain or sun).

If I have to say anything nice about this resort, I’d say the Turtle & Ecology Centre is quite nice. I enjoyed watching the turtle feeding and the tour of the ecology centre afterwards. The huge glass floor in the overwater bungalow is quite nice. But since there is no coral around, there isn’t anything to look at. There is an odd fish now and then swimming pass. But they are just the ‘commoner’ fish, as we called it! The interior lagoon was ok, there is some nice coral and a Nemo in there. I even found an Moray eel once inside the interior lagoon. But there is only so much to see inside the interior lagoon, so it did not keep me interested for very long. One or two snorkel in there you’d probably see most of it. The other nice thing the resort offer is they now have Free Wifi in room, which is quite nice. But do note the speed is slow and unreliable. They also have free Polynesian Dance show to watch which was indeed a bonus. It took place on the beach and everyone sat around to watch it. It was indeed very enjoyable. You do not need to buy a drink or dinner to watch it. It was free for all.

We did go on two excursions - Reef Discover & Raanui Tour, which was good to get out of the resort.

I don’t normally give out ratings this low, so you would know how I feel about this place. It’s just so not worth the $900/night or so we paid for our overwater bungalow stay. Overall, Bora Bora is a very beautiful place, but I just would not recommend this place at all. If I ever come back here again, I would definitely choose another place to stay.

6 Thank Ali T
Ia Orana,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are disappointed to hear of your experience, and will be following up with the appropriate departments to discuss your feedback.

I was very concerned with the incident related to the Disco Night, but it is indeed an event that has become very popular amongst our guests, we will however ensure that we lower the volume earlier on so that all our guests can enjoy their evening, whether they are partying or sleeping. We will also follow up with the receptionist on duty that evening.

I can assure you that we are committed to providing the highest standards in quality and service as it is the cornerstone of Le Meridien brand culture, with ongoing training provided for all associates. Your comments are therefore very important in ensuring we achieve these goals every day, and for that I must thank you.

We hope you will provide us with the opportunity to welcome you back so that we may demonstrate to you our commitment to creating an unparalleled Le Méridien experience.

Best regards,

San Ramon, California
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Spent 9 days at the end of April at what must be the best overwater bungalow in the resort, with a view of Mount Otemanu and the aqua blue waters of the lagoon, not of another bungalow or the resort. I booked with Custom Tahiti's Jackie, who was fabulous at arranging my trip with a great price (if there is such a thing in Bora Bora) and little extras like a bottle of wine, a pareo, reservations in Vaitape.

The hotel although booked was very quiet. Unlike travelling to Hawaii, you never had to fight for a beach or pool chair. The two pools were rathar small and not ideally situated since there would always be people walking by to get through the resort; howerever that didn't bother me since the lagoon was essentially my pool. The rooms were quiet and clean although I experienced a few gecko visitors. People just need to manage their expectations that this is a tropical paradise living with nature. Just remember to bring the mosquito repellant.

As with other reviews of this hotel, food is inconsistent as far as price and taste and is one of the reasons for my lower rating. There were minimal highlights like their french fries/potatoes wedges, the seared Ahi Tuna (part of a special dinner only) and the phyllo wrapped gorgonzola. The breakfast buffet which was included with my package was simply mediocre. The dinner buffets were definitely a waste of money. Most nights I would just order room service. I understand that most goods are imported into the island, but I am sure many like myself would not have been so upset if the food was fairly good. It wouldn't take a lot to get a new chef, or at least send the head chef for some global culinary lessons. I definitely do recommend to take the taxi boat into Vaitape in the beginning of your trip to stock up on some baquettes, sandwich meat, water, beverages etc and spend your dinners at St James, or the MaiKai.

I would have recommended perhaps Villa Mahana, but this goes into one of my complaints or perhaps less than satisfactory service of Le Meridien. I booked my trip well in advance and was assured that my taxi boat into Vaitape would be covered. I asked Chantelle at the activity desk if the resort could just charge me for the service and re-imburse me when the communication was resolved so that I would not miss my reservation at Villa Mahana. She wasn't very resourceful or helpful and did not get back to me and I ended missing my reservation. I wished I had talk to Ani at the reception area in advance, as she made the rest of my stay stress free.

A must do is to take the taxi boat ($17 USD) to the Intercontinental Thalasso next door (You could walk, but I didn't really feel like trapsing through the landscape and be bitten by mosquitos) for a treatment at their Deep Ocean Spa. I did the Algotherm Scrub and Wrap....absolutely heavenly and experience unlike anywhere in the world with the wrap enclosing your body in a cocoon similar to a waterbed.

Overall, I absolutely enjoyed my restful stay and would recommend this hotel with the understanding that food at most of the resorts even the nearby St Regis and Intercontinental Thallasso were also about the same.

Room Tip: End of the Pontoon are the quietest with the best views and a slightly larger sundeck. You can pay e...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank B1young1
Ia Orana!

We appreciate your time in sharing your comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially the Overwater Bungalow. A small tip: if you are sensitive to mosquitoes you should definitely choose a bungalow over water instead of on the beach as there are almost no mosquitoes out on the pontoons!

It is with disappointment that we learn of your recent experience in our restaurants. In order to ensure that guest expectations, and resort standards, are both met; we are working extremely hard to improve our culinary experiences. Le Méridien is pleased to inform you that we do have new chefs in the restaurants, preparing for a new restaurant opening in the middle of June. With this new addition, guests may enjoy a range of cuisine within the hotel, from classic Italian, exotic Asian to traditional Tahitian flavors.

The mission of the resort and its entire staff is to provide guests with a memorable, personal stay defined by signature offerings and superior service, and we are happy to hear that Ani showed great proof of that!

We hope to welcome you back to Le Méridien Bora Bora again soon.

Mauru’uru,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stunning rooms and property was overshadowed by overpriced prison food. No wonder the boat schedule to town (where you can get decent food at a still expensive price) is so inconvenient. They have you locked in. $32US for a cheeseburger and fries? I had to drown it in thousand island dressing to get it down. Ham panini ($22 US) was a paper thin slice of ham w slice of white cheese on a panini pressed baguette served dry, no mayo or mustard. Awful.. Don't eat here. Go to super U (market in town) and buy baguettes, salami, cheese, wine, yogurt and eat in your room. We only ate there 4 times in 8 days and all was mostly bad. Girl at omelette station (breakfast buffet) had attitude and only cooked one side of omelette, she folded it on my plate with one side uncooked and still runny. Pay the $30 pp and go to town for dinner. also, if you get up early before your spouse there is no real coffee in room, just 2 packs of instant. To get coffee you have to order room service ($13US). Shark feeding tour was a highlight, enjoyed the guys playing bongos and ukulele and singing during boat ride. This place does not live up to its potential because of the food, coffee service and limited boat service to town. Staff were generally helpful except for omelette lady and mgr of breakfast who refused to give me a pot of coffee ( i asked her to charge to my room) and said I must order room service. Also the water activities booth where you can get kayaks doesn't open till 800am. I wake up before 600am and it would have been nice to get a mask and snorkel before 800am. Room was great, overall good property just don't waste $$ eating here. Food is the worst I've ever had and I'm not a picky eater. Great view of the mountain though..

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank duffsoph7
Cecilia O, Executive Assistant at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Ia Orana and thank you for your feedback.

I was truly sorry to learn about your concerns with you recent stay. Please be assured that your comments have indeed received the outmost attention of the entire management team.

We take pride in delivering an outstanding service to our guests both in the Restaurants, Bars and Room Service, and I am truly sorry that we have let you down on this specific matter. If there has been an unsatisfying result of the service execution in the kitchen, I do sincerely hope you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our standards. I wish; however, that you would have mentioned these issues at once so that we could have ensured a service that is truly up to “Le Méridien standards” thus providing you with a better overall stay.

As for the water activities, we ask all guests to return their equipment in the evening so they will be clean and fresh in the morning; however there is absolutely no problem keeping it until the next day as long as you inform the beach boys. The kayaks can unfortunately not be used without supervision for safety reasons.

I am at your entire disposal should you wish to discuss these matters further, please feel free to contact me at contact@lemeridien-borabora.com.

With my sincerest regards,

Mill Valley, California
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Celebrating our 42nd wedding anniversary we were blessed with having a premium overwater bungalow at the end of the docks for six nights. We had a gorgeous mountain view of Boro Boro and took advantage of it everyday sitting on our sweet front deck before we plunged into the amazingly beautiful and warm turquoise waters. We were able to snorkel in the lagoon several times seeing the fish and moray eels over by the chapel. The staff at the beach were all so friendly and helpful when we took out a kayak or needed equipment for our snorkeling and swimming. We chose not to eat at the buffets each night because there was too much food for what we like to eat. Instead we ate at the al la carte restaurant all but one night when we went into town for Bloody Mary's. However we did eat our hearts out in the morning with the huge and delicious breakfasts. The staff in the restaurant couldn't have been friendlier and more welcoming and everything we ordered was very good. One night I wore the cute dress I had bought at the gift shop and our waiter who had a beautiful flower headdress took it off and put it on me as a gift! So sweet, I felt like a Princess! We loved connecting our dinner out to Bloody Mary's with a day excursion on the 4X4 safaris. The concierge staff were all brilliant in helping us choose all of the activities and possibilities for our days there. One of our favorites was a boat trip with Simon to find the manta rays. It was indeed a magical experience swimming with sting rays, tons of fish, a moray eel, rainbow corals, and finally the manta rays & eagle rays!! I would encourage everyone who can to do this trip. The turtle sanctuary was amazing and so much fun to visit and learn about. It pleased us that the marine biologist was so inviting, conscious about the protection of these creatures, and knowledgeable about the local marine life. Overall we were so impressed with all of the smiles and helpfulness we experienced. Loved the gift shop and the sweet lady there. I am just sorry that I am not remembering names for all of these people, but we will always remember the experience and would return whenever we could. Can't say enough about how beautiful the rooms are, glass floor, immaculately clean, and well designed. Gold stars all around for Le Meridien Boro Boro and the people who make it all happen. We appreciated my pretty pareo and my husband's tee shirt as a very thoughtful touch. Thank you all for making our 42nd so memorable!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ia Orana,

Thank you for the comments concerning your recent stay, and for giving Le Méridien Bora Bora your recommendation; we truly appreciate it!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and especially how much you appreciated our efforts in the restaurants, kitchens and at our Activities Desk. We will most definitely share your kind words with our teams!
Mauru'uru for your visit and looking forward to welcoming you and your husband back to Paradise soon, why not for your 52nd anniversary?

Best regards,

Louisville, ky
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went in late April for 8 days/7 nights and caught beautiful weather the entire time. This is one of those 'bucket list' trips. It is pricey. We used Pacific-for-less.com and got a very good deal. Several people were impressed with the price we paid and the things it included. We got side tracked by weather and missed our outbound LAX flight. Claudia and crew sewed up all the details and got us all squared away in one call. Check 'em out.
The grounds are spotless. They have crews working out everyday trimming and cleaning. The bungalow was beautiful and the over-water experience was everything I thought it would be. It was great waking up and jumping off the deck into the ocean for a quick swim before breakfast. The interior was beautiful and the cleaning crew was always attentive and prompt. The lagoon was great for snorkeling and the turtle sanctuary was great. We went for the whole tour and really enjoyed it. The waters in Tahiti are magnificent. The pictures don't do it justice. The only knock I have on an otherwise wonderful experience was the food. We had breakfast included and it was good. We went to a buffet one night and two buffets and two glasses of a low-end Bordeaux cost $240. That was shock enough but the food wasn't good. We also got the romantic dinner for two and it was...ok. The beef was tender but flavorless and the lobster had been cooked to death. We got it as part of the package and the value it represented was great but I can't say much for the food. The ambiance was fantastic. We checked the menu at the main restaurant and it had a lot of lobster dishes and given our experience with the lobster on the buffet and the dinner, we opted for the bar. The bar had your basic bar food...cheeseburgers for $30, quesadillos for about $28 and some fried tuna thing for about $30. The food was good but the service was terrible. Maybe it's a cultural thing and they're laid back but when people arrive, sit for 20 minutes and then go to the bar to place an order....and it happens over and over...it's a problem. Eventually, we shelled out $60 for a round trip to the island and bought food to bring back. I saw many couples do this. We ate at Bloody Mary's and got two mahi mahi burgers and they were outstanding. It was what I was looking for in Tahiti. They totaled $30 for two. I went to Tahiti expecting great fish. I can get great chicken, pork, and beef at home.
Its sad because everything thing else at Le Mer was really great. I heard complaints from lots of people about food and it wasn't just Le Mer, I heard complaints about St. Regis and Hilton too. The Hilton couple we spoke to said their buffet was lamb and chicken and were so disappointed that there was no fish.
The entire facility had a very laid back feel to it. Every place I've been to in the Caribbean and Mexico had people constantly pushing you to buy things. Not here. People left you alone and let you relax. To me, that was a god-send. Nobody, at any time, tried to sell me ANYTHING. Even in the tourist markets in town, they just chilled and left you alone.
We did the Manta Ray/Shark feeding expedition with Papai and it was fabulous. EVERYBODY raved about it. It's a must do.
Summary: Great place, fabulous facilities, great ambiance, wonderful friendly people, food....not so good..
I gave Le Mer low scores on value but in fairness, this is not a budget place. All told, we shelled out about 10k for all airfare and hotels so I didn't expect budget prices but I didn't expect to get drilled for mediocre food fare.
Misc Tips: take water bottles and use the water in the fitness center. The tap water has an unusual taste to it. It's palatable but just barely. Hinano beer costs about $5 per beer in most places but you can get it on the island supermarket for about $5 a twelve pack. Take a scooter or bike around the island (20 miles total). Pack a picnic and head out to Matira beach for a nice lunch and then dine at Bloody Marys that night. The food at the beach cafe at Matira looked pretty good too. The best snorkeling in the lagoon is under the chapel and the fence by the turtle sanctuary. People I talked to who did the Safari Adventure on Bora Bora didn't seem to care much for it. Everybody speaks French there and most every channel on the tv is French so it was useless to us....which was fine because we didn't need it but if you expect to watch it every night, be warned. Get a bottle or two of gin or whatever at LAX duty free and get mixers at the store in Vaitape. Drinks are expensive. Some of our best moments were sitting on the deck with gin and tonics watching the kayaks ride boat wakes and watching the boat traffic as the sun set over Otemanu.
Check with the concierge to see when cruise ships are docking at Vaitape and avoid those days. We didn't and there were TWO ships when we went. We rented the last two bicycles in town from the hardware store. Mine was a smaller girls bike and we didn't go very far. We stayed in bungalow #328 and loved it. The water was deep and good for diving. Check the fridge when you get there and see if its cold. If it isn't, pull it out and on the back at the bottom is an indicator setting. Set it to 9 and the fridge will keep your stuff at least cool.
Go to Tahiti and unwind. Enjoy...live. Manuia!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bogeyboy99
Ia Orana,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for bringing this feedback to our attention.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and especially how much you appreciated our wonderful Overwater Bungalows. Having a drink on the terrace watching the sunset is truly amazing!

We are; however, disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your experience in our Food & Beverage Outlets, as we strive to provide an impeccable service and experience for our guests. We will be sure to review your comments with our management team so that we may discuss ways for improvement in order to keep our food as magical as the ambience, and ensure our service culture is being implemented to the highest degree.

We hope you will visit us again and let us show you what makes Le Méridien Bora Bora a true luxury resort destination.

Mauru'uru,