“Turtle Sanctuary”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Toronto
“Turtle Sanctuary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We spent a day at Le Meridian to see the turtles sanctuary. There is a reasonable cover charge and then you are able to spend the day at the resort enjoying their enclosed lagoon.

This is not to be missed! Spending that time up close with the young turtles is an amazing experience! Make sure to go to the turtle feeding and information session they offer in the morning to go along with the experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cballarino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were fortunate to get a great deal on a Costco package that took us to Tahiti for two nights and then Bora Bora for six nights. I recommend skipping Tahiti and just going straight to Bora Bora. Le Meridien was such a beautiful property and EVERYONE was very welcoming and nice.

We had an overwater bungalow in the deeper water; however, it was tough to swim with the swells during some small storms we had coming through. We only had maybe 2-3 days where it was calm enough to really swim and snorkel. Next time, I'll opt for a Bungalow in the shallow water as it's easier to go right in and there seemed to be more marine life in the shallow water because the swells weren't as great.

Our Costco package included one lunch meal and free buffet breakfast every morning--if you go, you must find a package that gives you one of your meals each day for free as it is extremely expensive! Dinner buffet for two people was close to $200 and it wasn't anything out of the ordinary (no Lobster or Kobe Beef). There seemed to be enough food choices, so you could essentially eat all throughout the day.

The inner lagoon was great for snorkeling and the turtle feeding (every day at 10:30) was interesting. I appreciated that they are doing some good things with Green Sea Turtle Conservation.

The hotel had a lot of different things available (jet skiing by guided tour around Bora Bora - highly recommend!), free use of the sea kayaks, paddle boats, etc, two infinity edge pools, etc. There was also an abundance of sea life wherever you were. We saw A LOT of Rays, including a pod of eight spotted eagle rays swimming under the walkway to our Bungalow.

We went into Vaitape once, but it seemed to mainly be a tourist town with not a lot to do. Bloody Mary's wasn't really within walking distance (it was halfway between town and the dock we were dropped off at from the free boat from our hotel).

If you want a quiet, relaxing stay, I recommend staying on a property out on a Motu like Le Meridien. There's still a lot to do out there, but it's away from the hustle and bustle and you can truly relax in a beautiful place.

Room Tip: An overwater bungalow is a must!
5 Thank MBMTacoma
cecile_lemarrec, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear guests,

Thank you so much for reviewing so nicely our resort and we are glad to hear that you had a great time with our staff, facilities and services.
We would like to thank you also for encouraging our work with the Green Sea Turtles and our New ecological Center dedicated to French Polynesian ecosystem.
We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in our paradise island,

My best regards,

Cécile LE MARREC
cincinnati
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed a week in Bora Bora after spending a week in Moorea at the Intercontinental. The le meridien had several negatives. First of all there are no true king sized beds in the entire complex. The "king" beds are all twin sized matresses pushed together and covered with a duvet. The bungalows are amazing though, nice modern features with a glass floor and all-beautiful. The staff were less than helpful. Breakfast was good, but there were never enough people to remove dirty plates. If you order something to drink with breakfast, you will be done with your meal practically before your drink arrives. The dinner food is bad and terribly expensive, $180 for two people. After two nights of bad food, we ate on the main island the remaining nights. Bloody mary's and lucky house were both good food options. Bloody marys was excellent food for half as much as the hotel. The front desk people barely spoke english, so every time you needed something, even if it was small, you had to ask for the manager because they couldn't understand what you were saying. My husband was sent to three different people just to exchange dollars for xfp only to end up back at the front desk. We met friends from NY while we were there that had such poor service, that the manager actually came to their room, sent their laundry out for ironing, and gave them an 80 minutes couples massage for free. Thankfully they tried to make up for poor service, but seriously at the prices you pay to stay at this place, things should go smoothly. The staff was not as pleasant or friendly as they were in Moorea. I would have rather spent the second week back in Moorea. Although, the helicopter ride in bora bora was amazing....thankfully the pilot let us know the hotel over charged us by $60 a person.

4 Thank catrina c
cecile_lemarrec, Assistante de direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear guests,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in our resort and we are sorry if we delivered less than expected.
We have acknowledged all your remarks and we will definitely take corrective actions on the points you have mentioned, especially regarding Food and Beverage.
We would like to put a light on the fact that all our staff at the Front desk do speak English and we assume that you might have spoken at the time you mentioned with one of our young trainee. However she is hardly let alone at the Front Desk and some experienced staff are always available to assist English spoken guests.
We do feel sorry if your stay with us did not meet your expectations but we hope that you won’t judge us on the basis of this unique experience. We receive every day warm and positive comments on our resort and our staff and we would like to welcome the opportunity to be better hosts. On that time , do not hesitate to contact us personallly.
Besr regards,
Mill Valley, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

We're just back from an amazing honeymoon in Bora Bora. My wife and I stayed at two hotels including Le Meridien and the St. Regis. Both was really wonderful. I would characterize the St. Regis and more service oriented and Le Meridien as more value oriented.

- The staff was very welcoming
- The food was good, but there is only one restaurant so plan on going to the island and other resorts for variety.
- Beach rentals not included but are available (wind surfer, paddle boats, kayaks, etc)
- Over water bungalows! (Le Meridien bungalows were not as large as the St. Regis but they were more modern. They are smaller for sure, but to be honest I preferred them because I didn't need a ton of space on vacation and appreciated the super modern finishes). That said, my only complaint would be the lack of a decent sound system which the St. Regis offered.

We also owe a big thanks to Pacific For Less and Jennifer for making all the arrangements. They did a fantastic job with reservations and small details that made the experience extra special.

I highly recommend this resort. It's really heavenly. If you're considering Le Meridien vs the St. Regis I'd say that Le Meridien is more value oriented overall but the St. Regis offers a better overall service experience. So if you're really looking to unplug and don't need a ton of service pick this venue!

Loved it.

Room Tip: Book with Pacific For Less
2 Thank Roland S
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I'll start by saying the island is lovely, the hotel is very well finished and well kept. Personally I liked the sectioned off area of sea to snorkel in as I didn't fancy taking my chances with the sharks / stingrays (Call me a wimp!) but you do have a choice if that's what you're after, there are also a fair few activities on offer, although fairly costly as you'd expect.

The food was VERY expensive and usually cold - Average of around $150 USD a head for the dinner buffet and $100 USD a head for breakfast and not a lot to choose from. On more than one occasion there was only some very questionable meat dishes, so my wife and I just ate rice having tried them. Whilst the restaurant setting was lovely there was no way of closing it off from the breeze so by the time you got to your table your food was stone cold.

I've travelled a lot, eat out five nights a week and I would say I'm not an overly fussy person. I appreciate that somewhere like Bora Bora is going to be expensive. You could even argue that a breezy restaurant is all part of the charm of going somewhere like that and cold food is a small price to pay but what really bothered me was the way the staff treat you. There is no way to defend being short, grumpy or just plain rude to someone on their honeymoon that has paid an absolute fortune to be there. I was nothing but polite and friendly to staff throughout the whole week, I even tipped fairly well but it made no difference to their attitude towards me. With the exception of the guys in the beach hut (Didn't get their names), Jean Marie (In the restaurant) and Moenau (Kitchen chef) and a couple of other people on the front desk the entire staff could do with either a massive pay rise (Might cheer them up?) or just plain sacking.

The staff are grumpy at all times and some actually going out of their way to be unhelpful and rude. Waitresses in the restaurant were nothing short of shocking. A cup of tea / coffee is a difficult request at breakfast, don't even think about requesting a knife and fork to eat with, if something is missing from your table just help yourself to whatever you can find on the table next to you as it could take twenty minutes for the staff to notice you, followed by another twenty for them to bring you something simple. I could even live with the bad service if they at least had a smile for you and some manners but they just plain don't.

Over all I would have given this place four stars if the staff has been polite and friendly, maybe even five if the food was better, perhaps with a little more choice. With a heavy heart I would say you should only come here if you want a two star honeymoon at five star prices - Crying shame...

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be nice, well finished and clean but if you want sunshine on your deck after 2pm...
5 Thank David S
Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Le Meridien in Bora Bora and had a wonderful time! The staff at Custom Tahiti Travel helped us coordinate this wonderful trip and we sincerely thank them for recommending this hotel to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. The hotel's location is outstanding (the best in Bora Bora), and the staff was really friendly and accomodating. The restaurant food is diverse and of great quality, but pricey (the standard in French Polynesia). Special thanks to Moana and the hotel's professional photographer for assisting us during our Vows Renewal Ceremony; the pictures/video and overall experience was excellent. Special Thanks to Jackie at Custom Tahiti Travel for her assistance and attention to detail in coordinating this wonderful trip. We even stayed in the overwater bungalow that we requested.

Room Tip: All of the Premium Overwater Bungalows have a great view. We requested and stayed at #325 (last bung...
3 Thank Jose R
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here after a few night on mainland Tahiti and a week at The Pearl Beach Moorea.
I had heard friends were disappointed with Bora Bora. I realised why....we were very lucky to have stayed here. I think staying at any of the hotels on a Motu rather than the mainland is the best way to do it. We arrived just as the beach villas were completed. We had a huge villa with private plunge pool right on the beach overlooking the lagoon filled with turtles and tropical fish. Heaven for our 2 children. Safe,no tides and it was like swimming in an aquarium for them. Views of Mnt Otamanu stunning. We hired a boat and cruised around the whole island...awesome experience. Then a car one day and did the same....really rather a dull uninspiring island especially compared to Moorea which has high mountains and beautiful scenery by land or boat. If you stay on the mainland I think Boea Bora would be a bit disappointing. Wherevwe stayedvdid it justice. The watervillascat the time were being upgraded as were the main reception and hotel. It did need refurbishment and staying in some f the overwater bungalows we visitedvwoukd have been a let down. The villas were gorgeous- comfortable beds, huge entertaining areas, aahh the bathroom was rather special too.main Restaurant expensive but we found some nice meals on bar menu watching the sunset and beach restaurant- served big enough meals to share, 2 fed 4 of us. Also, the room service breakfasts were large- we could all share. Same for some other meals on room service menu. When I say expensive- regular restaurant prices for Aussie folk :( expensive for Americans. Would love to go back. Stayed for12 days and loved it. Learnt so much about the turtles, fed them, swam with them...great experience. Main beach and pool lovely. Some basic watersportvactivities to do. Perfect weather for July. Visited Bloody Mary's and their traditional dances...much the same as any other Pacific Island. Rent a tinny and take a cruise around the island, stock up for food at the local supermarketbon the mainland and take snorkel gearvand hop off on all the remote little beaches and islands. Don't bother with a car- nothing exciting, save that for Moorea!!!

Room Tip: The beach villas were quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank marcnat
cecile_lemarrec, Assistante de Direction at Le Meridien Bora Bora, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear guests,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review so positively our resort.We are happy to read that your family have enjoyed their stay in our confortable beach villa and we hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in our resort.

My best regards,