When you land in Bora Bora be prepared to be met by a charming hostess who will take care of everything until you board the Sofitel boat to take you to the hotel. After a 30-minute pleasant ride across the eastern part of the lagoon - a good way to see the main island - we discovered our over-water bungalow. A large bedroom, a modern bathroom with all amenities, all of discreet luxury of good taste. An outside terrace with a spectacular view over the lagoon, an inside terrace with a ladder to dip directly into the lagoon. The pool and the beach are correct but you hardly need them. Our stay was starting like a fairy tale.
Things started to deteriorate during dinner time as we were forced to move from the terrace of the restaurant to the inside when the wind started to pick-up real strength. The staff looked a bit worried - surely thinking of their own houses - but all kept on going smoothly. Food and wine were OK but nothing special if not that it is expensive as everywhere else in French Polynesia. During the night the wind continued to reinforce and we had some tiny scraps falling from the pandanus roof.
In the morning it was clear that cyclone Oli was heading directly to Bora Bora and we were evacuated to the nearby Novotel built in concrete - a wise decision. Meanwhile airports in Bora Bora and Papeete were closed and planes sent to Marquesas islands for safety. When Air Tahiti resumed its activity we were flown to Papeete. During all this period of time the staff did its utmost to make our life bearable and supplied us with bottled water, sandwiches, even some kind of breakfast and so on. The sore point is that, when checking-out, Sofitel tried to charge us for all that. We challenged these charges and eventually they were dropped to our complete satisfaction.
Sofitel will recover from cyclone Oli and will remain a very attractive place to stay in Bora Bora, specially if you are in the over-water bungalows. No doubt that their staff will remain as friendly, efficient and attentive as we have experienced during our stay. In spite of Oli we keep a good memory of our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort is located on the island of Bora Bora in the heart of the exceptional Matira Bay. The island of Bora Bora is encircled by a protective necklace of coral. Breathtaking lush mountains provide a dramatic backdrop for the luminous turquoise, lapis and aquamarine of the sheltered lagoon. There is something truly unique about Bora Bora, with its sugary sands, rugged mountains, vivid blues, lush greens and soothing lagoon waters that make it the most romantic destination in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Orbitz so you can book your Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach And Private Island Hotel Bora Bora
- Sofitel Bora Motu Private Island
- Accor Bora Motu Private Island
- Bora Bora Sofitel
- Sofitel Motu Bora Bora