This was our third trip to Tahiti although our first to the island of Bora Bora where we spent six nights.
We first realized this maybe wasn't one of the better resorts when we were escorted to the boat which was to take us to The Sofitel resort. There were quite a few other boats taking people to various resorts, some of them large some small but all in good shape. However, the Sofitel boat was very run down and shabby as were the rest of their "fleet".
The bungalow we were given was in a good location, however the housekeeping left a lot to be desired. The shower in the bathroom needed a good clean as did the glass viewing panel in the floor. Our bed pillows smelled terribly and despite us requesting new pillows these were not forthcoming. We ended up wrapping the pillows in the terry toweling robes which were provided in the room. At no point in time did we detect the smell of any kind of cleaning fluid so not sure exactly what they cleaned the bathrooms with.
The ice making machine on our block of bungalows was not working and we reported this several times but alas nobody fixed it. So we had to trek to the bungalow block adjacent to ours to get our ice.
One morning (as usual) we walked down to the restaurant for breakfast which was served buffet style. Usually the restaurant was nice and quiet so we were quite surprised that morning to find the inside and outside full of families of local people and the atmosphere was very noisy. There were still some tables obviously saved for the paying guests so we sat down at one of those. But when we went inside the restaurant to get our food we found many of the food containers almost empty and the staff rushing around trying to keep the food stocked up. They did eventually catch up as the local families began vacating the restaurant and moving on to the swimming pool. The local children monopolized the pool and we even saw a couple of the younger ones standing on the edge peeing into the pool. We decided not to use the pool that day.
So we decided to sit on the beach instead and "horrors" there was a hug Blue inflatable water slide right on the beach. I won't go into further detail but needless to say our initial vision of beautiful Bora Bora was shattered at that point and we spent the rest of the day at our bungalow.
We later learned that management had opened the resort to underprivileged children and their families which of course was very generous of them. However management failed to tell the paying guests prior to this event and also it wasted one of our six precious (and expensive) days at this resort.
To summarize: The resort was very run down. The resort's boats were very run down. The food was average to say the least. The rooms needed to be thoroughly cleaned. The water around the over the water bungalows was murky, which we believe was due to boats constantly going in and out thus stirring up the bottom.
We would not recommend this resort to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort is located on the island of Bora Bora in the heart of the exceptional Matira Bay. The island of Bora Bora is encircled by a protective necklace of coral. Breathtaking lush mountains provide a dramatic backdrop for the luminous turquoise, lapis and aquamarine of the sheltered lagoon. There is something truly unique about Bora Bora, with its sugary sands, rugged mountains, vivid blues, lush greens and soothing lagoon waters that make it the most romantic destination in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prestigia, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach And Private Island Hotel Bora Bora
- Sofitel Bora Motu Private Island
- Accor Bora Motu Private Island
- Bora Bora Sofitel
- Sofitel Motu Bora Bora