Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Matira(Bora Bora)
Chez Nono(Bora Bora)
  • Beachfront
Sunset Hill Lodge(Bora Bora)
1,386 results
All reviewsprivate islandeco tourhurricane baroverwater bungalowmain islandour honeymoonfishlocal marketfrench polynesiaromantic dinnergrocery storebreakfast and dinnerhamburgerlounge chairssnorkel geartravel agentmacaroons
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Would not recommend this place at all, and definately would not book through Expedia. The hotel does not differentiate between the mainland and private island overwater luxury bungalo. So if you book it, you might be on the mainland. It all depends on what the hotel decides. Expedia does not annotate this on their site. It makes it look like you are on the private island but really you won't know until you get there. The food is way overpriced, and not good. We had a lot better food in Jamaica and Dominican Republic. If you stay there, eat at places outside of the hotel. They are in walking distance and half as expensive.

2  Thank Brandan R
Reviewed August 5, 2011

The resort is seriously lacking in a lot of maintenance; here are a few examples: The restrooms in the lobby had a strong acidy urine smell. The beach had a lot of broken glass and was not clean. The walkway decks are in poor condition. There are many nails and boards coming up. You must always look down at the ground when walking because you can seriously hurt yourself if you hit a nail or trip. Their ice machine runs out of ice in the middle of the day daily.
The beach bungalow was not well maintained. There were geckos and bugs in the room. We thought that we could get away from the geckos and bugs by upgrading to an overwater bungalow, but we were wrong. All the bungalows, even the overwater bungalows, are infested with COCKROACHES!! It was a horrific and traumatic experience to see cockroaches in your room!! The cockroaches are huge. I was terrified to get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom because when you turned on the light you would see the cockroaches run. We asked other guests staying in overwater bungalows and in the beach bungalows and they all stated that they had cockroaches in their rooms. We saw dead cockroaches in the dining area by the entrance of the kitchen.
On the room walls and in the resort information binder in the room, there was brown matter splattered (it looked like fecal matter). It is our guess that previous guest have killed geckos and cockroaches because the brown matter was splattered throughout the room. The bungalow ladder going to the water (ocean) was full of algae and slippery.
The staff is very rude; at least 85% of the staff is extremely rude.
NOTE: We walked to the Intercontinental resort; this resort is defiantly a nice resort! The resort and rooms are clean and well maintained, and the staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bekurt
H0564GM, Directeur général at Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Dear Friends,

Thank you for your comments even if they are not very pleasant.
For your information you room have been already treated against insects.
I thank you for your feedback, of which you concerns have been communicated to our staff.
I assure you that necessary action has been immediately taken.
On behalf of the team at Sofitel Bora Bora Marara, I wish to present our most sincere apologies for the regrettable experience you incurred as a guest on our resort.

As you can see most comments on site are good and we do not have generally those kind of comments.

Once again, please accept our most sincere apologies.

Philippe

Reviewed August 4, 2011

I visited Bora Bora in mid-November 2010. The Sofitel had been recommended to me by friends and family who had stayed here before, so I decided to try it myself. The hotel is beautiful. I had a garden bungalow, but my room was just a few steps from the beach. The hotel was not crowded at all. There was always room by the pool or on the beach. The staff was friendly and helpful. I spent my days lounging by the gorgeous infinity pool or laying on the beach in front of my bungalow.
Bora Bora is definitely a more expensive destination, but I was told there was a mini mart down the road, which carries everything from sunscreen to bread and cheese. My first day at the resort I walked down to the store and stocked up on bottled water, sodas, snacks, etc... That saved me a lot as the food at all the hotel restaurants can be quite pricey. For lunch on the first day I had what was essentially a grilled cheese sandwich with fries and it was about $35 USD. That's Bora bora though and I was happy to splurge because I was on vacation. I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank CtheGlobe77
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Extremely pleasent and friendly staff in the hotel. The really helped us to relax... Worth to visit. We had similar experience with Sofitel Tahiti.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed at the Sofitel Marara Beach for a week this past July for my honeymoon in a luxury overwater bungalow.

We overall had a great time at the Sofitel. I think the major positive about this resort is the location. Being on the main island gives you central access to local restaurants as well as the town Vaitape which makes it very convenient. I particularly enjoyed the restaurants La Bounty as well as the pizza parlor next door; the staff for both are vvery friendly. Also our package included a daily breakfast which was nice - the breakfast was a delicious French-style breakfast with flavorful Fruit jams and cheese along with ready-to-make omelettes, great start to the day! The evening buffets were varied, some were very good (French-style buffet) while the Italian buffet was sort of lacking in Italian cuisine.

I enjoyed the island's Eco Tour which basically allowed you to come up close with sharks/Stingrays as well as snorkel behind the Motu.

The beach itself was nice, a tad bit on the rocky side, but otherwise pleasant.

The staff in general was very friendly and helpful...occasionally we encountered some staff that were lackadaisical but this was in general the exception.

While we were at the Sofitel we had a chance to visit St. Regis which is a stunning and amazing resort (I would recommend looking into a 1-day pass at this resort if possible). From speaking to people that stayed there it was extremely luxurious but certainly significantly more expensive. If I come back to Bora Bora in the future I may opt for St. Regis just to get a different taste and flavor of the island.

1  Thank neeljgandhi