New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sunset Hill Lodge

Sunset Hill Lodge
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Bora Bora
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Value for the Money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Hill Lodge in the bungalow on stilts for our honeymoon. Gerald was an amazing host. He let us use his bikes (for free) and kayaks (for a minimal fee) with directions on the best places to visit on the island. He has connections with many of the locals and was able to “hook us up” with incredibly inexpensive and amazing tours as well as a free trip to his friend’s private island! The Bungalow on stilts was clean, comfortable and affordable. In addition, there was a great central barbeque and outdoor meeting space at the lodge. The outdoor area was extremely comfortable with beautiful views. My husband and I really enjoyed hanging out in this area reading our books and meeting the other guest of Sunset Hill Lodge. The lodge is also in a great central location on the island. It is within walking distance to the downtown area, including many shops, grocery stores and restaurants! I would recommend these accommodations to any travel that is looking to do Bora Bora on a budget. One piece of advice, you may want to bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper – there are a lot of roosters in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: I recommend the bungalow on stilts.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JenErin1206

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed here for one night before we went to 5 star honeymoon experience to fit our trip into budget. I was happy with the place. We reached here Midday and thought of saving some $$ by staying here for 1 night! Its definitely Value for money. Happy about my decision!! Theres a nice place in walking distance from here where we enjoyed cocktails and dinner. It was much better than other famous restaurants. Gerard was very helpful. He picked up up from the port, helped us with breakfast and dropped us to IC Le Moana. This place is an amazing value for money in middle of expensive Bora Bora

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shayanti M
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

I had read a lot of reviews about Sunset Hill Lodge when researching about Bora Bora and decided to book a room at the pension. When I arrived at Gerard's apartments (which is in the heart of Vaitape) they were simply amazing! I stayed in the bungalow on stilts (which has great views of the lagoon) and the views I had of Mt Otemanu every morning were simply breathtaking! The room was very cozy, had a super comfortable bed and A/C! It was almost a 5 min walk to the biggest supermarket on the island.. Super U (which has everything you can think of) and his apartments is also near St James Restaurant (fish dishes is amazing here!)

I'd say the only downside to Sunset Hill Lodge is that its not near Matira Beach (its about a 40 min bike ride and well don't even think about walking.....). Gerard's hospitality was second to none, he'd always tell me places to visit, tours to go on and also drive and pick me up from Matira Beach and meeting Rapunzel (his dog) was a pleasure too.... I wanted to take her back to London! I will definitely come back here when I go back to Bora Bora! Thank you for everything Gerard!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Sohail_Khan_UK
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I loved our room at Sunset Hill Lodge, it was cozy and big, came with nice clean kitchen and bathroom, and what's best, a/c, as well as good wifi. The owner is a friendly host and recommended us a lagoon tour, which turned out fantastic. Overall this place was great value for money in otherwise expensive Bora Bora, fully recommend :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Johanna176
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

One of the best hidden gems on the main island of Bora Bora! We spent two weeks in Studio 2, and as many have said before, Gerard is a great host! He picked us up from the ferry and told us all about the island and gave lots of suggestions of things to do, see and eat. He showed us the bikes and kayaks that were free for us to use and important details like everything is closed on Sunday, except some food trucks, so get some food from the Super U. After we got our spacious room situated, we headed to the store to stock up on some food, which was about a 10 minute walk. Besides scheduling dives, we rode our bikes to the beach, laid out by the Mai Kai pool or chilled on our patio. By the end of the two weeks, I really felt like I was living in Bora Bora because we could do so much in our space: I made French pressed coffee and fresh fruit every morning, cheese plates and cocktails in the afternoon, lounged on the patio after a day of diving or before heading into town for dinner. We even shared some coffee with the Tahitian Military that were staying in Studio 1! I am not sure how much fresh French bread that we ate, but since we were always out walking, riding, snorkeling, or diving it didn’t make a difference.
If you are looking for a laid back experience where you can really get to know Bora Bora, stay with Gerard; you won’t regret it. I would highly recommend staying at least one night in an over-water bungalow if you get the chance. We stayed at the Sofitel Private Island, per Gerard, on our last night/day of the trip. It was luxurious and wonderful, but I would not trade our experience that we got from staying at the Sunset Hill Lodge for the majority of our trip!

Favorite Things: The Chinese food restaurant, with the window in the back to order - the food was fresh, tasty, and one order was plenty for two; ridng Gerard’s bikes around the entire island; the Mai Kai Bora Bora –you can use the pool, just bring towels and get some drinks from the bar; fruit on side of the road; diving with Bora Diving Center; the Aloe’ Café, Mount Otemanu…and the list goes on!!!

The only drawback about the island when we went in June, was the locals burned leaves and other items, so there was sometimes a smoky smell. I am not sure if it is a seasonal thing or year-round.

Room Tip: Room Tips: I was going to pick the private tree bungalow, but from the pics online, it seemed small...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nordette
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sunsethill!! Gérard is a fabulous host, very knowledgeable about the island and helpful in organising trips (he does not take commission on it). We can highly recommend the daylong lagoon cruise! We stayed in bungalow 3 which has a lovely view over the lagoon. The room is spacious, very clean, quiet and it has a very comfortable bed.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bungalow 3 which has a lovely view over the lagoon. The room is air-conditioned, quiet...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea K
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

The studios were great. They were very spacious and were beautifully built. It was satisfactory just to be inside the studios with a great piece of furniture.

Gerard was great host, and picked us up and dropped in time. He was always making good conversations and was very lively. He is working on a BBQ which would be fun to watch when it is done.

The bikes provided free of cost was good - nice way to travel.

If going for any tour/activity, get it booked through Gerard as you would get it for best price then. We have done the comparison.

The only thing we didn't like was that for some reason there were many mosquitos. When we mentioned it to Gerard he refused that there are none and it is not possible for his places to have mosquitos coz it is so clean. Unfortunately, there were! He did not provide any mosquito coil which we had to buy from the supermarket, and we had to use our repellant frequently.

All in all, we had a great time and it was worth staying there. We enjoyed! And I would like to mention again, the place was SUPER CLEAN!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple