Sunset Hill Lodge
$1,533
$1,455
  • Pool
Conrad Bora Bora Nui(Bora Bora)
$775
$1,580
Hotels.com
$785
  • Beachfront
Maitai Polynesia Bora Bora(Bora Bora)(Great Value!)
$402
$361
  • Beachfront
All reviewslagoon tourmatira beachwaterfront apartmentfull kitchensuper ubudget optionperfect baseown transportclose to townmai kaiprevious guestsview from the balconyspent two weekshigh end resortocean frontplace to stay in bora boragrocery store
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Ia Orana,
Living and working in Tahiti I decided to spend a few days vacation in Bora Bora and it was just amazing. Gerard the owner of the lodge was super friendly and picked me right away up at the ferry dock. He offered as well a huge range of free activities as kayaking, diving and bikes for an island tour. The bungalows are pretty, very comfortable and clean. The whole atmosphere of the lodge is idyllic and calm. All in all I had an amazing time and can just suggest Gerards Sunset Hill Lodge to other travellers!
Mauruuru...
Thank you again Gerard and I hope to see you soon on my next trip back to Bora Bora.

Room Tip: Best one is the bungalow pilotis!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had the best time ever at Sunset Hill Lodge and Bora Bora is the most amazing destination. We loved our little chalet on stilts, charmingly decorated in island colours with a great view out over the harbour. The air-con was quiet and neither too cold nor too hot, the kitchen well-stocked, the balcony perfect for breakfast and dinner. We relaxed on the huge super king bed looking out windows and our son was able to sleep in a spare fold-out cot on the floor. Free wifi is a bonus. It is perfect for 2 people but we fit 3 in fine. The supermarket is just down the road and similar prices as Papeete as well as home (New Zealand), so you don't need to bring food.

Gerard is a fantastic host. He met us and took us to the boat- no charge. He provided bikes which we took out for the 6 km ride to Matira beach and also rode 32 km around the island- a great day. Washing machine, dryer and powder- free. He dropped us with 3 kayaks to go for a day trip out to a motu and picked us up. He gave advice, directions and even a machete to open green coconuts. Nothing seemed too much trouble.

The other 2 garden bungalows are also nice but do not have the same view on air/con- however they are cheaper. As Gerard is now listed on Lonely Planet he is getting busy so book early.

Bora Bora is a magic place and refreshingly unspoilt. I guess the wealthy hang out at the resorts, but we didn't see them much. The Tahitians love the beach and the Vaitape roulotte is an amazing experience of a people who love their food- the meals are HUGE and delicious. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mkj30
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I had a wonderful five day stay in Bora Bora with Gerard. He was incredibly helpful (and not in the least bit intrusive) regarding things to do during my time- a visit to a turtle sanctuary (also included a day pass to a large resort hotel), dropped and picked me up at the beach, biked around the island, a day trip on a boat, and the dive shop is within easy walking distance. There was a great french bakery in walking distance. Laundry could be done there. It was nice having a kitchen to cook and not have to go out for every meal. As a solo woman traveler I felt very secure there and well advised. Great value! I highly recommend Sunset Hill and hope to return!

Room Tip: There is only one apartment that has an ocean view. All the units have unique floor plans.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank weekendworldtraveler
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Sunset Hill Lodge is the best value in Bora Bora if you are on a budget travel. It is located in Vaitape village( not along the Matira Beach), but it is just 5 min's walk to the supermarket and not far away to all other attractions if you drive a car or just ride a bike. I stayed in Bungalow Jardin #2. It is just like home with a nice small garden where I can sit outside to eat, and a lovely French-Polynesia-style outdoor shower room. Also I cooked by myself everyday thanks to the full equipment of all necessary kitchen facilities. The owner Gerard is really great! He lent me his bike and kayak for free and told me how to enjoy the real Bora Bora by myself in a money-saving way. I did a lot of outdoor exercises, such as riding a bike around the whole island, going kayaking on the lagoon, swiming, climbing the mountain where I could see a beautiful view of Bora Bora, etc. By the way, I saw beautiful stars at night! I really enjoyed my stay in Sunset Hill Lodge, living like a local people, quite different from those stay in a luxury hotel. Last, thanks again to Gerard. I am quiet honored to be your first Chinese guest:)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank maggielcy
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Sunset Hill Lodge stands out from any other hotel, pension or accomodation in Bora Bora by providing great value for money, with a genuine smile. The bungalow was really a small house, with a fully equiped kitchen, microwave, gas range and oven and large fridge. 2 queen size bed with view on the lagoon from the one above.

Very conveniently located in Vaitape, walking distance from about anything.

Great for families, young couples, budget travellers or seasoned travellers who are sick of getting bad service while paying $1000 per night.

Great for divers as well since Sunset Hill Lodge is a 3mn walk from Topdive-Bathys, the best and most comprehensive diving center in Polynesia.

Best of all, Gerard's hospitality as mentionned by so many other reviewers. He is one of those people who genuinely care about others. 5 star hotels have so much to learn from him!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family