“The best place I've ever eaten at”

The Chef's Table by La Villa Mahana
Ranked #4 of 55 Restaurants in Bora Bora
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The World Famous 7 table restaurant located in Paradise
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We booked a table for 4 for our anniversary with Damien and received an instant confirmation. As it got closer we had to change dates and again Damien accommodated us. He definitely made everything easier from the start. You should know that I don't enjoy "fancy" places and they always tend to disappoint me for the money I spend. As an anniversary celebration, I decided to put my personal sentiments aside for my wife. Upon arrival we were escorted to the table upstairs, sometimes referred to as the VIP table....it was surrounded by candles and looked very inviting. The glasses were crystal and the table was pleasantly set. I ordered the most expensive fixed menu item - the Epicurian without the wine pairing. The Epicurian allowed me sample a lit bit of everything. It started with sea food salad topped with caviar - I don't like caviar but absolutely LOVED this preparation. It was followed by duck liver - again not my cup of tea, but absolutely loved this too. Next was the lobster and frankly it was the best I have ever had. I was extremely disappointed in not doing the wine pairing as I believe I missed out. My wife had the vegetarian fixed menu and she loved everything that came her way. The wine pairing was amazing...I never realized such varying wines could enhance the food, but it did. Each time a new item came we received new silverware which was a classy touch. The waitress was always available but not intrusive in any way. Very refreshing to not have someone constantly asking me if I needed something. Ive eaten at many fancy places but this one knocked my socks off. Every item that we ate was mouthwatering. I read the reviews before going about the location and the place itself....yes, the restaurant is on the small side and yes, it had a very eclectic theme, but for us this only enhanced the experience. It was a pleasant surprise to be blown away by a place that I judged based on it not being in and ultra fancy building. You don't come here for anything other that to eat and enjoy an expensive dinner by being blown away by the food, not the location or anything else. Overall we loved every aspect and considered going back the next day. The bill was $800 and I would have been happier spending even more money to taste the dishes I missed out on. My wife talked about the restaurant every day after we visited....that is what I expect of a great dinner - being memorable. Damien has a great thing going here...you would be a fool to skip this place if you can appreciate good food prepared in the most classic of ways. We were driven here by a car service that was shared and never did I feel rushed, heck I didn't even know it was waiting on us - probably because we were allowed to enjoy our meal. So I leave you with this thought...do you want to eat over the water and have crappy food or do you want an eclectic place with food that leaves you craving more and leaves you thinking, "That was worth every single penny!!" P.S. I didn't even mention Damien sending an anniversary dessert and coming out to meet us. Extremely classy touch all the way around. The ladies had just mentioned they thought he was too busy to meet his guests and poof he popped out to wish us a happy anniversary. Great job sir great job.

3  Thank Rod G
Chefdamien, Owner at The Chef's Table by La Villa Mahana, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Thank you very much for that beautiful comment ! Appreciate it !!!!

Wish you all the best and hope to see you back with us in Paradise in a near future

Damien :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Had my 25th anniversary dinner here! I can't say enough about the ambiance, food and service!!
It's a small restaraunt with 2 french chefs and only 9 tables. You need to reserve in advance and they only serve dinner.
You won't regret this experience!
Most of the resorts serve great food, but this is a local owner and the food is top notch! The experience is worth every penny.
I can't wait to make another trip to Bora Bora just so I can eat here again :)

Chefdamien, Propriétaire at The Chef's Table by La Villa Mahana, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Reviewed August 4, 2014

(Visited August 2012...) We had the special table outside reserved, at the top of the hill. We each chose the chef's menu with wine pairing. It was pricey, but absolutely worth it. Chef Damien prepared an incredible French feast for us. If you are looking for a fancy, romantic dinner, this is your place!

1  Thank cmerenich
Chefdamien, Propriétaire at The Chef's Table by La Villa Mahana, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Setting is very special and food is fantastic. It's not a cheap meal but it's worth every dollar!
We were lucky to get the little private room on the top floor, very special.

2  Thank Julipi98

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

A highlight of our trip to Bora Bora. Damien is a great chef who has created a great experience here. We've had great culinary experiences around the world and would put this up against them any day. Book in advance...we got lucky with a last minute cancellation. The lamb and gnocchi were amazing. Great wine list. Just fantastic. Highly recommend.

Chefdamien, Propriétaire at The Chef's Table by La Villa Mahana, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014