“A little out of the ordinary”

Mountain High Pizza Pie
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Talkeetna
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: We invite you to our lively purple pizzeria, nestled at the foot of the towering peaks of the Alaska Range, in the little town of Talkeetna. Our menu is a collaboration of countless Basilone family recipes. Our famous Pizza Pie, home made Flat Breads, soups with vegetables from our garden, and our legendary Mountain High sauce are a reflection of our family's dedication to bring you the best and freshest food from our kitchen to your table.
Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania
“A little out of the ordinary”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Due to circumstances while waiting for another excursion to start, we were given an impromptu tour of Talkeetna, AK by a life long resident. She had suggested several places to eat after our excursion with details on each. Not wanting a big meal, and too tired for the bar scene we were in the mood for pizza. They have a number of exotic takes on pizza in addition to the regular offers. We selected reindeer sausage and onion pizza. It was the first time we had ever eaten reindeer and what a treat--sorry Santa! They have outdoor seating along the street so you can watch the day unfold. A great choice for a light meal and a little local atmosphere.

1 Thank Susan C

Virginia
“Very good”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Wow! What a good stop this was!! Great beer and good pizza. A real local place. Service was excellent. Glad we hit it before tourist season was in full swing. Be great on a nice warm day to sit, have a pizza and a couple and people watch!

1 Thank Tasmandevil
Anchorage, Alaska
“Tasty Slice of Pie”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My sis grabbed me a pepperoni slice from here on a whim & it was great. It was thin and almost crispy just like I like it, & the sauce was very flavorful.

1 Thank whenashsmiles
Talkeetna, Alaska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be great but has gone downhill”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I have been going to Mt. High Pizza since they opened as I live nearby. I will state that I have only complained at a restaurant to management twice in my whole life, and both times were at Mt.High Pizza. We recently ate there and received a $25 pizza with almost no toppings on it. I personally know the owner, manager and most of the staff so it was hard to gather the courage to complain. When I complained to a waitress there, whom I have known for years, she abruptly and rudely turned away and yelled for the manager. She said "will you help this person that has a problem with our food!" in an angry tone. She knows my name but still treated me this way. I also know the kitchen manager who came over and agreed that the pizza was short on toppings, and said he would tell the cooks to ad more for other peoples orders. Then he walked away. He made no offer or attempt to fix our problem. The slice I presented them could have literally blown away in the wind. I felt disgusted, mistreated, and mad. It was just my wife and I and we were both still very hungry. What a joke, our specialty pizza was mostly a thin crust with a few topping in the middle. I gave them a second chance after some disappointing meals last summer only to be treated rudely and leave hungry. I have eaten here well over 100 times, to the point that they know my voice when I call in an order and also my regular meal. I have made it a point to tell everyone in Alaska to eat there because it used to be a great place to eat. Not any more, which is a shame because it used to be our favorite place to eat. It's amazing that a restaurant would treat their local customers this way. It would have been easy to offer us a new pizza, a discount, or even an apology. I wanted to leave without paying, but as I'm not a thief I gave them $25 went home and we made ourselves dinner. If you want to risk a tiny overpriced meal, then have at it.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Brando495
Oakland, Maryland
“Delicious”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Had a very traditional pepperoni pizza served outdoors on a warm may evening. Staff was fun and friendly. Pizza was delicious. Prices were actually quite good for the area. Nice crowd but flow of diners caused a very short wait for a table. Would go there again for sure